I have been trying to turn a consistant .028 slot in a 1018 steel with little luck.
1. material size 3/8 thick x 1 1/4 round.
2. a Center hole is drilled and the steel disk is chucked on a tapered mandrel
between the chuck and a live center
3. The width of the cut is .028 and the depth is .080
4. the bottom profile of the slot is unimportant
5. the slot can be wider but tapered
I have tried differt parting tool shapes as well as minature parting tools in carbide.
Different feed rates and different profiles on the parting tools all of which have given me
inconstant results and dull bits.
I would like to turn several hundred of these disks and slot them with consistant results.
I have even thought of using a slitting saw on a mill with a rotating table??
Any help you can give