Newbie needs help with signature quilt

Newbie needs help with signature quilt

Post by A. Wel » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00



I posted the following message on alt.sewing and rec.crafts.textiles
sewing.  I don't mean to "spam", but someone suggested I

=========================================================================
I saw a post on one of these groups about making a
family quilt for a 50th wedding anniversary gift.
It's a great idea and I've decided to try it even
though I, or any of my siblings, know *anything*
about quilt making.

I went to a quilt store and got enough muslin for
the amount of squares I need for family members plus
a bit more.  The person who helped me advised ironing
freezer paper on the back of each square to help stabilize
the fabric to aid in decorating.

I need to send along some instructions to my
siblings, but I'm not sure what to advise them.
At the very least, they could sign their squares
and I could embroider over the signatures with a
satin stitch on my machine (Pfaff 7550--my hand
embroidery leaves much to be desired and I wouldn't
have time for that anyway).

I know that some pens will bleed and I want to
caution my siblings about that--just didn't want to go
to the expense of supplying everyone with a pigma
pen.

For those who have done this sort of thing: what
other things should I add to the instructions (other
than to be careful of choice of pen) when I mail out
the squares?

 Thanks for any advice,

 
 
 

Newbie needs help with signature quilt

Post by Eileen Luc » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00



Quote:

>I saw a post on one of these groups about making a
>family quilt for a 50th wedding anniversary gift.
>It's a great idea and I've decided to try it even
>though I, or any of my siblings, know *anything*
>about quilt making.

>I need to send along some instructions to my
>siblings, but I'm not sure what to advise them.
>At the very least, they could sign their squares
>and I could embroider over the signatures with a
>satin stitch on my machine (Pfaff 7550--my hand
>embroidery leaves much to be desired and I wouldn't
>have time for that anyway).

>For those who have done this sort of thing: what
>other things should I add to the instructions (other
>than to be careful of choice of pen) when I mail out
>the squares?

Tell them make sure and leave room at the edges for your seam
allowance.  And tell them not to use any three-dimensional additions.
I did one of these for a friend, and had to wrestle with one square
that had two huge silk flowers glued on.  I ended up appliqueing this
square to the finished quilt.  You could suggest using fusible stuff
(Wonder Under) for those who are sweing challenged.  

Eileen

 
 
 

Newbie needs help with signature quilt

Post by Jack » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00


When I first saw this posted I had never heard of a Signature Quilt,
then after reading several different posts I figured out just what you
were speaking of and I have even done a  squares for one.  It is a
great way to sum up one's life, we did one for our minister and his
wife, they had been at the church for over 20 years and were leaving.
We made a huge quilt and every member was asked to create a square.
Most were able to put on their's whatever they pleased but some of us
did things that we had heard them speak of from their childhood and
ealry marriage.  Last,  one of the ladies in the church took and
embroidered the names of all the members that did not make a square or
were no longer in the church for one reason or another and made pillow
shams for the quilt.  It was a beautiful piece of art work.  

Jackee

    _____                 __     _        
   |__   |_______ _______|  |  /  |______ ______
      |  |   _   |   ____|  |/   /| _____| _____|
 _____|  |   _   |  |____|   __  \| ____|| ____|
|________|__| |__|_______|__|  \__|______|______|