Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Post by mcar.. » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Hello, I've been lurking for awhile and am attempting my first quilt. Its
a crib size basket weave. I've been using the strip piecing method and
have all the strips sewn together. On checking the widths of the strips I
find that they are 7 3/8 inches wide instead of 6 3/4 inches. Further
investigation reveals that I was using a 1/8 inch seam allowance instead
of 1/4 inch (well...the book I was using did remark how small a 1/4 inch
seam allowance would look). I can see now that I should have checked this
a loooong time ago. Since its too late for that, I'm wondering what people
here would recommend.

I really don't want to do all that ripping and can think of two options. I
could continue with the 1/8 inch seam allowance and hope that the quilt
will hold up. I don't anticipate that it will get heavy use, I think of it
as a first project and expect it will be far from perfect (and I seem to
be already well on my way with that expectation!). I am using 100% cotton
fabrics bought at a quilt store, so I hope they are good quality. How
likely is it to fall apart after a washing or two?

However, I would prefer the smaller block size that would result from the
wider seam allowance, so I'm leaning toward option two - resew the seams
at 1/4 inch. That shouldn't be too bad, but can I leave the original
stitching in place or will it make the seams too bulky or cause other
problems with the quilt?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Margie
(in Ames, IA)

 
 
 

Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Post by Brian & Julie Web » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00


I think that I would opt for resewing the seams at 1/4".  It seems like
it would stand up better to wear and tear that way, and being your first
quilt, you will want it to be around for a long time!
        Isn't this whole learning thing great fun ;)
                Julie

Quote:
> Hello, I've been lurking for awhile and am attempting my first quilt. Its
> a crib size basket weave. I've been using the strip piecing method and
> have all the strips sewn together. On checking the widths of the strips I
> find that they are 7 3/8 inches wide instead of 6 3/4 inches. Further
> investigation reveals that I was using a 1/8 inch seam allowance instead
> of 1/4 inch (well...the book I was using did remark how small a 1/4 inch
> seam allowance would look). I can see now that I should have checked this
> a loooong time ago. Since its too late for that, I'm wondering what people
> here would recommend.

> I really don't want to do all that ripping and can think of two options. I
> could continue with the 1/8 inch seam allowance and hope that the quilt
> will hold up. I don't anticipate that it will get heavy use, I think of it
> as a first project and expect it will be far from perfect (and I seem to
> be already well on my way with that expectation!). I am using 100% cotton
> fabrics bought at a quilt store, so I hope they are good quality. How
> likely is it to fall apart after a washing or two?

> However, I would prefer the smaller block size that would result from the
> wider seam allowance, so I'm leaning toward option two - resew the seams
> at 1/4 inch. That shouldn't be too bad, but can I leave the original
> stitching in place or will it make the seams too bulky or cause other
> problems with the quilt?

> Thanks for any advice you can offer.

> Margie
> (in Ames, IA)


 
 
 

Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Post by Lor.. » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00


I would leave the original seams in place and just sew again at the
 1/4" line. (Yes, double check where a 1/4" seam is on your machine;
mark it with tape or something. Getting this accurate now will make your
quilting life much easier!)

I don't think the extra stitching will create too much bulk.

Welcome to quilting! I LOVE it -- as we all do on this newsgroup. And
don't worry about this mistake. Some of the more humorous programs/
discussions I've seen and heard are about "first quilts" or those other
wonderful mistakes we've made. (And sometimes mistakes turn into
miracles, so don't get compulsive about avoiding them!)

Good luck.

Lorna
Tacoma, WA

 
 
 

Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Post by Lavania Coo » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Sometimes mistakes can make a complete  new pattern that was nicer and
prettier than the one you started out to make.  Lavania in Indianapolis

Quote:

>I would leave the original seams in place and just sew again at the
> 1/4" line. (Yes, double check where a 1/4" seam is on your machine;
>mark it with tape or something. Getting this accurate now will make your
>quilting life much easier!)

>I don't think the extra stitching will create too much bulk.

>Welcome to quilting! I LOVE it -- as we all do on this newsgroup. And
>don't worry about this mistake. Some of the more humorous programs/
>discussions I've seen and heard are about "first quilts" or those other
>wonderful mistakes we've made. (And sometimes mistakes turn into
>miracles, so don't get compulsive about avoiding them!)

>Good luck.

>Lorna
>Tacoma, WA

 
 
 

Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Post by Marudi » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>However, I would prefer the smaller block size that would result from the
>wider seam allowance, so I'm leaning toward option two - resew the seams
>at 1/4 inch. That shouldn't be too bad, but can I leave the original
>stitching in place or will it make the seams too bulky or cause other
>problems with the quilt?

margie:

no need to rip out stitches,  just restitch and press the seam allowances
together to one side.  your seams will be strong and no bulkier than they would
have been with the 1/4 inch seam allowance.  have fun!

rowena___.
acme dance company

 
 
 

Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Post by Carolyn &/or Stev » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Agreed. Since you rarely (I almost said "don't", but that sounded too
QP-ish) press quilt seams open (as you would when sewing clothes), the
additional 1/8" seam in the seam allowance won't get in your way or cause
any problems.
You can be sure those will be seams that won't ravel into non-existence
somewhere down the line!
Keep at it--you'll feel much better about finishing it up once you fix
this.
--
Carolyn in Harlingen, TX (warm & balmy 70s--the temps, not me)
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4775



Quote:
> >However, I would prefer the smaller block size that would result from
the
> >wider seam allowance, so I'm leaning toward option two - resew the seams
> >at 1/4 inch. That shouldn't be too bad, but can I leave the original
> >stitching in place or will it make the seams too bulky or cause other
> >problems with the quilt?

> margie:

> no need to rip out stitches,  just restitch and press the seam allowances
> together to one side.  your seams will be strong and no bulkier than they
would
> have been with the 1/4 inch seam allowance.  have fun!

> rowena___.
> acme dance company


 
 
 

Aaaccckkk!! Newbie needs help

Post by Christie E. Bur » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00


(mass snippage)

Quote:
> However, I would prefer the smaller block size that would result from the
> wider seam allowance, so I'm leaning toward option two - resew the seams
> at 1/4 inch. That shouldn't be too bad, but can I leave the original
> stitching in place or will it make the seams too bulky or cause other
> problems with the quilt?

Margie,

That's exactly what I would do... but I am not a quilter (yet).  I've only ever
tied my quilts, and bulk/density isn't so much of an issue with tying.  If
you're handquilting, someone on this NG may have a warning for you... bit for
machine quilting or tying (some call it "tufting"), I don't think there'd be a
problem.  Good luck...

Christie :)