OT- Also Kim's Moving Adventure-LONG

OT- Also Kim's Moving Adventure-LONG

Post by Kim Fishe » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:45:51



Some of y'all have been wondering, when is Also Kim hitting the road?
Will she ever stop packing?  (and moaning about it on the ng?) Of
course, I've been a little quiet lately since my newsgroup server died
at my ISP and I just recently got back on. Almost a whole week of
messages expired, and I've been too busy to go back and get them. Hope I
didn't miss anything too wonderful!

So here's the scoop, because the movers are coming Monday to put
anything not nailed down (like my computer) in a box. Or a bunch of
boxes. Anyway, whatever isn't *already* in a box. Tuesday they haul it
into a big van. And O-dark early on Wednesday morning, I pile my three
children and all the animals into Wocketsip, my big pearl colored Audi
and hit the road. DH has to stay behind because of work. I come and
collect him and another one of the three remaining cars and we're
driving two of them up later. (Don't comment on this. Some of you have
stashes the size of minor naval bases. He has cars. It's OK.)

Wocketsip? I got the car about a year ago, and DS Charlie, then aged
three named it. He doesn't always speak too clearly - it's supposed to
be 'Rocketship' but the name stuck that way. Our dear ng friend Sairey,
when she heard this, figured Wocketsip was just another wierd pacific
northwest kinda name, like Puyallup or or Tillamook or Tualatin or
Champoeg (dare you to say that one) Anyhow.

The animals? Most of you know we have a minor menagerie Chez Fisher. And
they're all going in Wocketsip with us. Two cats, that usually only get
along while they're eating will be sharing a modest sized cat carrier.
And they get to wear harnesses. They hate them. The two cornsnakes will
be sharing a carrier, but they'll be pretty quiet, as will the savannah
monitor. And the newt. These will all be snug under the childrens feet
in the rear footwell. Hope they don't step on them. The turtle, Saturn
Five (yes, Charlie's pet- could you tell?) will be sort of quiet- she'll
probably make a clunk-clunk-clunking sound as she continually tries to
burrow out of her box. Turtles are sort of dumb, in my opinion. Oh, yes,
I almost forgot about the mice. Hopefully they will ride far enough away
from the cats that they don't go crazy. The cats I mean. And the only
remaining pet is the fish, a betta, that DD#1's best friend gave her as
a parting gift. I worry about this. Yes, it's only a little fish, and if
it doesn't survive the trip it's easily replaced- except for the
sentimental value that only two 13 year old girls can bestow.
Gary, the betta, had betta make it.

The trunk will all be packed with whatever clothing and a few sleeping
bags (and my COFFEE MAKER) I can fit. We usually travel to Oregon in two
short driving trips and stay overnight right near the border. But I
think I'm only good for one go with this bunch. I think I can do it in
10-12 hours. Think good thoughts about me! I'm was considering hosting a
betting pool for y'all- but I couldn't decide on whether we should bet on:

How many pets are eaten by other pets.
How many pets escape.
How often the phrase 'are we there yet?' is uttered.

But it occured to me I really don't want to count this last, so you'll
all have to take my best estimate for it.

The moving van will arrive a few days after we do. I can't wait to move
into my beautiful home. We've been living in rented houses here in the
Silicon Valley for over twelve years. The skyrocketing cost of housing
here makes home ownership something we just can't get into. And the
little houses here where I live.... this house we're in now is about
1200 square feet. Sorta small- but not too bad most of you might guess.
The neighborhood is excellent. I can't say enough about my friends and
neighbors. But these little fifty year old three bedroom homes sell for
over $800K. I am not making this up. I'll show you the latest real
estate flyers if you want. Our new home in Oregon has big beautiful
windows that overlook the trees and sunset of the pacific northwest
view. The neighborhood is good, we have friends there already. The house
has four bedrooms- the kids will each get their own room ,and it has a
huge backyard that backs up to a nature park. This has definite appeal
to the child who owns most of those animals, my almost ten year old
daughter, Bo. She hasn't decided on whether she wants a hedgehog next or
a chameleon. The Big Kid wanted a ferret very badly and I want to make
sure she doesn't get one! Tiggrrr will *pleeeeze* not bring the matter
up in conversation when she comes to visit? :-) A dog is actually on the
list of acquirable pets and the breed du jour is an Irish Setter. We
need to get moved in first.

The only thing I don't like about my new house is the color of it. It's
sort of a musty seafoam green. The folks that lived there really really
liked this shade of green, because they used it EVERYWHERE. Particularly
in the kitchen. I'm more of a natural shade kind of person myself. I
like green- but usually the shades that go with autumn colors. The woman
who decorated this house also liked, well, frillier styles than I do-
and the wallpaper is a severe horror to me. Just sitting in the eating
area (that has a bee-yoo-ti-ful bay window overlooking the deck, with
pond and waterfall and nature park beyond) makes me jumpy. The previous
owner liked the paper so well that they had special tiles painted to
match and set into the kitchen backsplash. Good grief. It makes me feel
peculiar, I guess. She was sweet enough to leave me behind the frilly
curtains she made, all the scraps and remmants, and a little muslin
bunny with a dress made out of it. So I guess I'll keep it somewheres as
a memento- but it's coming DOWN. We won't be able to remodel the kitchen
for a bit- so I need to find a color that goes with the tealy seafoamy
green color to tone it down a smidge. (yes, the floor and counter tops
are that color. White cabinets.)

Enough of that. Anyhow, I'll be shutting down my connection on Monday.
Re-connecting whenever. I think early March. Hopefully it won't take too
long- and I'll be able to meet the PNW group soon afterward. And I'll
need to unpack that sewing machine in short order, as the two ladies
that head up the Quilting Committee at the new school are anxious for
help and I'd like to do something for the April Quilt Auction. Wow.

Also Kim ' two more packing days to go' Fisher

 
 
 

OT- Also Kim's Moving Adventure-LONG

Post by Tiggrr » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:19:31


Yippee!  Also Kim moves next week!  Maybe DH will stop calling you my
"phantom friend" then! ;)  He is currently (like right at this moment)
saying he should apologize.  "Calling her a phantom alludes to that she's a
ghost and was at one time living.  She's just an illusion!"  Men!

Quote:
>Our dear ng friend Sairey, when she heard this, figured Wocketsip was just

another wierd pacific

Quote:
> northwest kinda name, like Puyallup or or Tillamook or Tualatin or
> Champoeg (dare you to say that one) Anyhow.

We had a hard time with Willamette.  I put the emphasis on the wrong
syllable and it doesn't come out the same.  Of course, I can't say
McMenamin's either.  It comes out McNemanim's.

Quote:
> How many pets are eaten by other pets.

That should be interesting.  I imagine the cats would be fat and sassy if
they got hold of the mice.  Of course, the snake might take offense to them
eating it's dinner.  Or are the mice for the lizard?

Quote:
> How many pets escape.

I hope none.  That would be heartbreaking (and one of the reasons we chose
not to move Blazer out here with us.  I could just envision him bolting from
the car and a greyhound can run way faster than I can).

Quote:
> How often the phrase 'are we there yet?' is uttered.

More than you'll want to hear, I'm sure.

Quote:
>The Big Kid wanted a ferret very badly and I want to make
> sure she doesn't get one! Tiggrrr will *pleeeeze* not bring the matter
> up in conversation when she comes to visit? :-)

Ah, man!  Already being told what I can and can't talk about! ;)  I really
did want to find a stuffed Ferret for her but you beat me to it.  As to the
hedgehog, we have a friend who has one so if you do get one I can get you
the name of the vet that treats Tom Bombadill (Tommy for short).  I'm not
sure, but he may be the only vet in the area that treats hedgehogs.

BTW:  You still haven't given me your new phone number.

Tigg (who can't wait for you to get moved!!!!  Hurry up, dang it!)

 
 
 

OT- Also Kim's Moving Adventure-LONG

Post by Donna in Idaho » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:11:06


One summer vacation our grandson traveled with us.  I gave him a roll of
dimes when we left that morning and told him that every time he asked
"how long before we get there?" I would take one of his dimes.  It
really worked!  As I remember, he only lost two dimes!
--
Donna in Idaho!
Southwest Idaho Project Linus Coordinator
Website:  http://members.tripod.com/donnakwilts/


(snip, snip)

Quote:
> How often the phrase 'are we there yet?' is uttered.

> But it occured to me I really don't want to count this last, so you'll
> all have to take my best estimate for it.

> Also Kim ' two more packing days to go' Fisher

 
 
 

OT- Also Kim's Moving Adventure-LONG

Post by Phyllis Anderse » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:57:18


Gosh Kim, you are the only woman I know who could handle all of this with
such humor. You are a woman of courage! Bigbearlady....and I ain't bettin'
on how many "are we there yet"s are asked


Quote:
> Some of y'all have been wondering, when is Also Kim hitting the road?
> Will she ever stop packing?  (and moaning about it on the ng?) Of
> course, I've been a little quiet lately since my newsgroup server died
> at my ISP and I just recently got back on. Almost a whole week of
> messages expired, and I've been too busy to go back and get them. Hope I
> didn't miss anything too wonderful!

> So here's the scoop, because the movers are coming Monday to put
> anything not nailed down (like my computer) in a box. Or a bunch of
> boxes. Anyway, whatever isn't *already* in a box. Tuesday they haul it
> into a big van. And O-dark early on Wednesday morning, I pile my three
> children and all the animals into Wocketsip, my big pearl colored Audi
> and hit the road. DH has to stay behind because of work. I come and
> collect him and another one of the three remaining cars and we're
> driving two of them up later. (Don't comment on this. Some of you have
> stashes the size of minor naval bases. He has cars. It's OK.)

> Wocketsip? I got the car about a year ago, and DS Charlie, then aged
> three named it. He doesn't always speak too clearly - it's supposed to
> be 'Rocketship' but the name stuck that way. Our dear ng friend Sairey,
> when she heard this, figured Wocketsip was just another wierd pacific
> northwest kinda name, like Puyallup or or Tillamook or Tualatin or
> Champoeg (dare you to say that one) Anyhow.

> The animals? Most of you know we have a minor menagerie Chez Fisher. And
> they're all going in Wocketsip with us. Two cats, that usually only get
> along while they're eating will be sharing a modest sized cat carrier.
> And they get to wear harnesses. They hate them. The two cornsnakes will
> be sharing a carrier, but they'll be pretty quiet, as will the savannah
> monitor. And the newt. These will all be snug under the childrens feet
> in the rear footwell. Hope they don't step on them. The turtle, Saturn
> Five (yes, Charlie's pet- could you tell?) will be sort of quiet- she'll
> probably make a clunk-clunk-clunking sound as she continually tries to
> burrow out of her box. Turtles are sort of dumb, in my opinion. Oh, yes,
> I almost forgot about the mice. Hopefully they will ride far enough away
> from the cats that they don't go crazy. The cats I mean. And the only
> remaining pet is the fish, a betta, that DD#1's best friend gave her as
> a parting gift. I worry about this. Yes, it's only a little fish, and if
> it doesn't survive the trip it's easily replaced- except for the
> sentimental value that only two 13 year old girls can bestow.
> Gary, the betta, had betta make it.

> The trunk will all be packed with whatever clothing and a few sleeping
> bags (and my COFFEE MAKER) I can fit. We usually travel to Oregon in two
> short driving trips and stay overnight right near the border. But I
> think I'm only good for one go with this bunch. I think I can do it in
> 10-12 hours. Think good thoughts about me! I'm was considering hosting a
> betting pool for y'all- but I couldn't decide on whether we should bet on:

> How many pets are eaten by other pets.
> How many pets escape.
> How often the phrase 'are we there yet?' is uttered.

> But it occured to me I really don't want to count this last, so you'll
> all have to take my best estimate for it.

> The moving van will arrive a few days after we do. I can't wait to move
> into my beautiful home. We've been living in rented houses here in the
> Silicon Valley for over twelve years. The skyrocketing cost of housing
> here makes home ownership something we just can't get into. And the
> little houses here where I live.... this house we're in now is about
> 1200 square feet. Sorta small- but not too bad most of you might guess.
> The neighborhood is excellent. I can't say enough about my friends and
> neighbors. But these little fifty year old three bedroom homes sell for
> over $800K. I am not making this up. I'll show you the latest real
> estate flyers if you want. Our new home in Oregon has big beautiful
> windows that overlook the trees and sunset of the pacific northwest
> view. The neighborhood is good, we have friends there already. The house
> has four bedrooms- the kids will each get their own room ,and it has a
> huge backyard that backs up to a nature park. This has definite appeal
> to the child who owns most of those animals, my almost ten year old
> daughter, Bo. She hasn't decided on whether she wants a hedgehog next or
> a chameleon. The Big Kid wanted a ferret very badly and I want to make
> sure she doesn't get one! Tiggrrr will *pleeeeze* not bring the matter
> up in conversation when she comes to visit? :-) A dog is actually on the
> list of acquirable pets and the breed du jour is an Irish Setter. We
> need to get moved in first.

> The only thing I don't like about my new house is the color of it. It's
> sort of a musty seafoam green. The folks that lived there really really
> liked this shade of green, because they used it EVERYWHERE. Particularly
> in the kitchen. I'm more of a natural shade kind of person myself. I
> like green- but usually the shades that go with autumn colors. The woman
> who decorated this house also liked, well, frillier styles than I do-
> and the wallpaper is a severe horror to me. Just sitting in the eating
> area (that has a bee-yoo-ti-ful bay window overlooking the deck, with
> pond and waterfall and nature park beyond) makes me jumpy. The previous
> owner liked the paper so well that they had special tiles painted to
> match and set into the kitchen backsplash. Good grief. It makes me feel
> peculiar, I guess. She was sweet enough to leave me behind the frilly
> curtains she made, all the scraps and remmants, and a little muslin
> bunny with a dress made out of it. So I guess I'll keep it somewheres as
> a memento- but it's coming DOWN. We won't be able to remodel the kitchen
> for a bit- so I need to find a color that goes with the tealy seafoamy
> green color to tone it down a smidge. (yes, the floor and counter tops
> are that color. White cabinets.)

> Enough of that. Anyhow, I'll be shutting down my connection on Monday.
> Re-connecting whenever. I think early March. Hopefully it won't take too
> long- and I'll be able to meet the PNW group soon afterward. And I'll
> need to unpack that sewing machine in short order, as the two ladies
> that head up the Quilting Committee at the new school are anxious for
> help and I'd like to do something for the April Quilt Auction. Wow.

> Also Kim ' two more packing days to go' Fisher

 
 
 

OT- Also Kim's Moving Adventure-LONG

Post by LN » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:27:53


Wow... what a great idea! I'm going to use this for all sorts of things. G

LN



Quote:
> One summer vacation our grandson traveled with us.  I gave him a roll of
> dimes when we left that morning and told him that every time he asked
> "how long before we get there?" I would take one of his dimes.  It
> really worked!  As I remember, he only lost two dimes!
> --
> Donna in Idaho!
> Southwest Idaho Project Linus Coordinator
> Website:  http://members.tripod.com/donnakwilts/



> (snip, snip)

> > How often the phrase 'are we there yet?' is uttered.

> > But it occured to me I really don't want to count this last, so you'll
> > all have to take my best estimate for it.

> > Also Kim ' two more packing days to go' Fisher

 
 
 

OT- Also Kim's Moving Adventure-LONG

Post by Roberta Zollne » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:58:43


Confession: I'm kinda partial to teal green :-) Maybe you could replace your
white cabinets with a warm wood, cherry or teak, until you get around to
redoing the whole kitchen. My loved ones let me go to the carpet store all
alone when we bought the present house. They recoiled in horror when they
saw the dining room carpet -a glorious rich teal. But with the Polish rug on
top (grey-cream background, lots of brilliant scarlet-gold-orange flowers)
and the dining table and chairs (rosewood and cherry respectively), teal
green was the absolute correct choice.

Good luck on the trip, you win the bravery in motherhood award. Me, I'd
seriously consider packing them all into carriers and sending them air
freight.
Roberta in DK


Quote:
> Some of y'all have been wondering, when is Also Kim hitting the road?
> Will she ever stop packing?  (and moaning about it on the ng?) Of
> course, I've been a little quiet lately since my newsgroup server died
> at my ISP and I just recently got back on. Almost a whole week of
> messages expired, and I've been too busy to go back and get them. Hope I
> didn't miss anything too wonderful!

> So here's the scoop, because the movers are coming Monday to put
> anything not nailed down (like my computer) in a box. Or a bunch of
> boxes. Anyway, whatever isn't *already* in a box. Tuesday they haul it
> into a big van. And O-dark early on Wednesday morning, I pile my three
> children and all the animals into Wocketsip, my big pearl colored Audi
> and hit the road. DH has to stay behind because of work. I come and
> collect him and another one of the three remaining cars and we're
> driving two of them up later. (Don't comment on this. Some of you have
> stashes the size of minor naval bases. He has cars. It's OK.)

> Wocketsip? I got the car about a year ago, and DS Charlie, then aged
> three named it. He doesn't always speak too clearly - it's supposed to
> be 'Rocketship' but the name stuck that way. Our dear ng friend Sairey,
> when she heard this, figured Wocketsip was just another wierd pacific
> northwest kinda name, like Puyallup or or Tillamook or Tualatin or
> Champoeg (dare you to say that one) Anyhow.

> The animals? Most of you know we have a minor menagerie Chez Fisher. And
> they're all going in Wocketsip with us. Two cats, that usually only get
> along while they're eating will be sharing a modest sized cat carrier.
> And they get to wear harnesses. They hate them. The two cornsnakes will
> be sharing a carrier, but they'll be pretty quiet, as will the savannah
> monitor. And the newt. These will all be snug under the childrens feet
> in the rear footwell. Hope they don't step on them. The turtle, Saturn
> Five (yes, Charlie's pet- could you tell?) will be sort of quiet- she'll
> probably make a clunk-clunk-clunking sound as she continually tries to
> burrow out of her box. Turtles are sort of dumb, in my opinion. Oh, yes,
> I almost forgot about the mice. Hopefully they will ride far enough away
> from the cats that they don't go crazy. The cats I mean. And the only
> remaining pet is the fish, a betta, that DD#1's best friend gave her as
> a parting gift. I worry about this. Yes, it's only a little fish, and if
> it doesn't survive the trip it's easily replaced- except for the
> sentimental value that only two 13 year old girls can bestow.
> Gary, the betta, had betta make it.

> The trunk will all be packed with whatever clothing and a few sleeping
> bags (and my COFFEE MAKER) I can fit. We usually travel to Oregon in two
> short driving trips and stay overnight right near the border. But I
> think I'm only good for one go with this bunch. I think I can do it in
> 10-12 hours. Think good thoughts about me! I'm was considering hosting a
> betting pool for y'all- but I couldn't decide on whether we should bet on:

> How many pets are eaten by other pets.
> How many pets escape.
> How often the phrase 'are we there yet?' is uttered.

> But it occured to me I really don't want to count this last, so you'll
> all have to take my best estimate for it.

> The moving van will arrive a few days after we do. I can't wait to move
> into my beautiful home. We've been living in rented houses here in the
> Silicon Valley for over twelve years. The skyrocketing cost of housing
> here makes home ownership something we just can't get into. And the
> little houses here where I live.... this house we're in now is about
> 1200 square feet. Sorta small- but not too bad most of you might guess.
> The neighborhood is excellent. I can't say enough about my friends and
> neighbors. But these little fifty year old three bedroom homes sell for
> over $800K. I am not making this up. I'll show you the latest real
> estate flyers if you want. Our new home in Oregon has big beautiful
> windows that overlook the trees and sunset of the pacific northwest
> view. The neighborhood is good, we have friends there already. The house
> has four bedrooms- the kids will each get their own room ,and it has a
> huge backyard that backs up to a nature park. This has definite appeal
> to the child who owns most of those animals, my almost ten year old
> daughter, Bo. She hasn't decided on whether she wants a hedgehog next or
> a chameleon. The Big Kid wanted a ferret very badly and I want to make
> sure she doesn't get one! Tiggrrr will *pleeeeze* not bring the matter
> up in conversation when she comes to visit? :-) A dog is actually on the
> list of acquirable pets and the breed du jour is an Irish Setter. We
> need to get moved in first.

> The only thing I don't like about my new house is the color of it. It's
> sort of a musty seafoam green. The folks that lived there really really
> liked this shade of green, because they used it EVERYWHERE. Particularly
> in the kitchen. I'm more of a natural shade kind of person myself. I
> like green- but usually the shades that go with autumn colors. The woman
> who decorated this house also liked, well, frillier styles than I do-
> and the wallpaper is a severe horror to me. Just sitting in the eating
> area (that has a bee-yoo-ti-ful bay window overlooking the deck, with
> pond and waterfall and nature park beyond) makes me jumpy. The previous
> owner liked the paper so well that they had special tiles painted to
> match and set into the kitchen backsplash. Good grief. It makes me feel
> peculiar, I guess. She was sweet enough to leave me behind the frilly
> curtains she made, all the scraps and remmants, and a little muslin
> bunny with a dress made out of it. So I guess I'll keep it somewheres as
> a memento- but it's coming DOWN. We won't be able to remodel the kitchen
> for a bit- so I need to find a color that goes with the tealy seafoamy
> green color to tone it down a smidge. (yes, the floor and counter tops
> are that color. White cabinets.)

> Enough of that. Anyhow, I'll be shutting down my connection on Monday.
> Re-connecting whenever. I think early March. Hopefully it won't take too
> long- and I'll be able to meet the PNW group soon afterward. And I'll
> need to unpack that sewing machine in short order, as the two ladies
> that head up the Quilting Committee at the new school are anxious for
> help and I'd like to do something for the April Quilt Auction. Wow.

> Also Kim ' two more packing days to go' Fisher