Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by J & M Abusheer » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:31:44



I have been working on a Grandmother's Flower Graden wallhanging, it's a
challenge quilt for my quilt guild.  The challenge is to a fabric, which is
not of my taste, more on this later.  I chose the Grandmother's Flower
Garden because I bought Quilt Patis awhile ago and I want to make one for my
bed someday, but thought I would test it out on a wallhanging.  The Quilt
Patis work wonderfully and the quilt top will be done soon, so now I'm
wondering how to quilt it.  I know traditionally it's hand quilted, but I'm
not much for hand quilting, also like I said I'm not fond of the focal
fabric so I'm pretty sure I don't want to spent that much time on it.  I was
thinking of stitching in the ditch, but there isn't any fabric in the
ditches only the stitches holding the hexagons together.  Machine echo
stitching each hex (136 in total) seems like a lot of starting and stopping.
So I am looking for any suggestions on how to quilt this wallhanging.

Help!

-Jennifer

 
 
 

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by Julia Altshule » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:52:55


The Grandmother Flower Garden is made of hexagons, but I think of the pattern as
being concentric circles.  You have one hexagon in the middle surrounded by 6
hexagons that are all the same fabric, etc.  I'd free motion each circle
individually.  I'd do the largest circles first.  Almost any pattern would do.
I'm thinking of a loopy design (which I'd be glad to draw and mail to you but
won't attempt to find on the web).  Then go back and do the inner circle.  Once
they're done, the very center circle consisting of only one patch could be left
unquilted.

--Lia


Quote:

> I have been working on a Grandmother's Flower Graden wallhanging, it's a
> challenge quilt for my quilt guild.  The challenge is to a fabric, which is
> not of my taste, more on this later.  I chose the Grandmother's Flower
> Garden because I bought Quilt Patis awhile ago and I want to make one for my
> bed someday, but thought I would test it out on a wallhanging.  The Quilt
> Patis work wonderfully and the quilt top will be done soon, so now I'm
> wondering how to quilt it.  I know traditionally it's hand quilted, but I'm
> not much for hand quilting, also like I said I'm not fond of the focal
> fabric so I'm pretty sure I don't want to spent that much time on it.  I was
> thinking of stitching in the ditch, but there isn't any fabric in the
> ditches only the stitches holding the hexagons together.  Machine echo
> stitching each hex (136 in total) seems like a lot of starting and stopping.
> So I am looking for any suggestions on how to quilt this wallhanging.

> Help!

> -Jennifer


 
 
 

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by Patt » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:59:21


Hullo Jennifer
How about wreaths of freehand leaves, around the circles?  You wouldn't
need to mark your quilt top; and, if you continued the 'vine' between
circles, you could do it as a continuous line too?  I did an all-over
pattern like this on a leafy quilt a little while ago and it looked
lovely (not that you could see it terribly well, with all the print
fabrics);  but I knew it was there. <g>.  I did it with a walking foot,
as I haven't done enough practice to free-motion it.  But it could be
done free-motion, if you have the skill.
.


Quote:
>I have been working on a Grandmother's Flower Graden wallhanging, it's a
>challenge quilt for my quilt guild.  The challenge is to a fabric, which is
>not of my taste, more on this later.  I chose the Grandmother's Flower
>Garden because I bought Quilt Patis awhile ago and I want to make one for my
>bed someday, but thought I would test it out on a wallhanging.  The Quilt
>Patis work wonderfully and the quilt top will be done soon, so now I'm
>wondering how to quilt it.  I know traditionally it's hand quilted, but I'm
>not much for hand quilting, also like I said I'm not fond of the focal
>fabric so I'm pretty sure I don't want to spent that much time on it.  I was
>thinking of stitching in the ditch, but there isn't any fabric in the
>ditches only the stitches holding the hexagons together.  Machine echo
>stitching each hex (136 in total) seems like a lot of starting and stopping.
>So I am looking for any suggestions on how to quilt this wallhanging.

>Help!

>-Jennifer

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
 
 
 

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by Roberta Zollne » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:05:16


Find (or draft) a feather wreath or flower to fit your hexagon flowers. Fill
in with meandering leafy vines.
Roberta in D



Quote:
> I have been working on a Grandmother's Flower Graden wallhanging, it's a
> challenge quilt for my quilt guild.  The challenge is to a fabric, which
is
> not of my taste, more on this later.  I chose the Grandmother's Flower
> Garden because I bought Quilt Patis awhile ago and I want to make one for
my
> bed someday, but thought I would test it out on a wallhanging.  The Quilt
> Patis work wonderfully and the quilt top will be done soon, so now I'm
> wondering how to quilt it.  I know traditionally it's hand quilted, but
I'm
> not much for hand quilting, also like I said I'm not fond of the focal
> fabric so I'm pretty sure I don't want to spent that much time on it.  I
was
> thinking of stitching in the ditch, but there isn't any fabric in the
> ditches only the stitches holding the hexagons together.  Machine echo
> stitching each hex (136 in total) seems like a lot of starting and
stopping.
> So I am looking for any suggestions on how to quilt this wallhanging.

> Help!

> -Jennifer

 
 
 

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by Mel Rimme » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:28:19




Quote:
>I have been working on a Grandmother's Flower Graden wallhanging
<snip>
> I am looking for any suggestions on how to quilt this wallhanging.

>Help!

The idea of a GFG is that it has flowers separated by paths. You could
emphasise this by shadow quilting the flower units as a unit (rather
that the individual hexagon patches), then quilts the paths in some way
that emphasizes their "path-ness", e.g. free motion quilting following
the direction of the path, or something like that.

I'm tying my GFG, but then I'm lazy!
--
Mel Rimmer

 
 
 

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by J & M Abusheer » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:26:31


Thanks for all your ideas.  I think I will let the quilt 'speak' to me once
it's done and it's ready to be layered.  I am not as nervous about machine
quilting something I hand pieced.  Something in the back of my head keeps
screaming 'Blasphemy!' whenever I think about it.  But like I said, it's a
challenge wallhanging, not an heirloom.  It will either end up being on the
back of a couch, which my cat will sleep on, or I'll give it to my S-I-L
whose new house needs something on the walls, depends on how it comes out.

Thank you,
Jennifer

 
 
 

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by Roberta Zollne » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:12:47


I'm here to tell you that no lightning bolt has yet struck me down for MQing
a hand-pieced top. :-)
Roberta in D



Quote:
> Thanks for all your ideas.  I think I will let the quilt 'speak' to me
once
> it's done and it's ready to be layered.  I am not as nervous about machine
> quilting something I hand pieced.  Something in the back of my head keeps
> screaming 'Blasphemy!' whenever I think about it.  But like I said, it's a
> challenge wallhanging, not an heirloom.  It will either end up being on
the
> back of a couch, which my cat will sleep on, or I'll give it to my S-I-L
> whose new house needs something on the walls, depends on how it comes out.

> Thank you,
> Jennifer

 
 
 

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilting Question

Post by melind » Thu, 01 May 2003 10:26:14


Quote:

> I'm here to tell you that no lightning bolt has yet struck me down for MQing
> a hand-pieced top. :-)
> Roberta in D

I've machine pieced and HQ all my pot holders and intend to keep doing so,
unless I do something unusual.  I would probably MQ anyhting I hand pieced
just for extra strength to hold it all together.

--
Melinda
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol>