Quilt picture, I hope

Quilt picture, I hope

Post by Michelle C » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 03:54:33



Quote:

> Here are the promised photos of the blue and white quilt.  I discover
> the first pieces were stitched on 25th July 2002.  It was ready to
> quilt in reasonable time, but crisis following trauma at home and the
> quilting has taken forever, it seems.

> I did some on a full size frame and then took it about with me when I
> needed something to do whilst waiting in various places.  It's been
> lost between Chicago and Edmonton, accompanied me to Police Stations
> and Hospitals, and been on trains, boats and buses.

> So, I suppose the name I have to give it is, "Per aspera, ad astra."
> a quotation from various sources, meaning 'Through difficulties
> (adversities) to the stars."

> Now it is finished, I can only hope that it puts the tin lid on the
> rest of our troubles.  We've had enough.  It is, however, no longer
> down as, "I'll finish that quilt if it is the last thing I ever do."

> http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/sartorresartus/

> BTW, I've signed it with a pima pen Nel Eyre 2009.  No name, no
> label.  If I decide to throw it in the local craft fair, I can add
> whatever's necessary according to the prevailing rules.

> Nel
> (Gadget Queen)

Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt, Nel.  I'm so glad you persisted and finished
it, in spite of what sounds like some truly horrendous events in your
life (as you allude to in your post).  You've chosen the perfect name
for it, imo.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada

 
 
 

Quilt picture, I hope

Post by was rabbit » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:31:19


What a *beautiful* quilt! You must be absolutely thrilled. I wouldn't
be able to do anything but stare at it and *** it for weeks!

On another note, I realize that I'd always thought of that quote as
"per ardua ad astra," and just realized that "mine" really meant
"through hard work..." But then, it had been a school (or Latin
class?) motto.

May all your "aspera" be in the past... and your "ardua" bring only
joy.

--Heidi

http://www.FoundCollection.com/


Quote:
> Here are the promised photos of the blue and white quilt. ?I discover
> the first pieces were stitched on 25th July 2002. ?It was ready to
> quilt in reasonable time, but crisis following trauma at home and the
> quilting has taken forever, it seems.

> So, I suppose the name I have to give it is, "Per aspera, ad astra."
> a quotation from various sources, meaning 'Through difficulties
> (adversities) to the stars."

> Now it is finished, I can only hope that it puts the tin lid on the
> rest of our troubles. ?We've had enough. ?It is, however, no longer
> down as, "I'll finish that quilt if it is the last thing I ever do."

> http://www.FoundCollection.com/


 
 
 

Quilt picture, I hope

Post by Sartorresartu » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:33:57


Thank you, thank you.

I had the same thoughts (I was a F. Off. in the RAF section of my
school's cadet force for a number of years)

It was only when I was looking for authorship of the quotation I came
up with the 'aspera' thing.  It seemed so much more appropriate and I
always was a Virgil fan.

Hardships are on the wane (DV) but there is one more hump to climb and
conquor.  Then, hopefully, a fresh dawn and a new day.

Thanks, everyone for your encouragement.  No false modesty, but as
many of us may understand, by this stage in the proceedings, all I can
see are the missed triangle points, the unmatched patches and the
wiggly, uneven stitches.  And the Ariadne-stitch shouts.

It will take a while to enjoy it.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)


Quote:
> What a *beautiful* quilt! You must be absolutely thrilled. I wouldn't
> be able to do anything but stare at it and *** it for weeks!

> On another note, I realize that I'd always thought of that quote as
> "per ardua ad astra," and just realized that "mine" really meant
> "through hard work..." But then, it had been a school (or Latin
> class?) motto.

> May all your "aspera" be in the past... and your "ardua" bring only
> joy.

> --Heidi

> http://www.FoundCollection.com/


> > Here are the promised photos of the blue and white quilt. ?I discover
> > the first pieces were stitched on 25th July 2002. ?It was ready to
> > quilt in reasonable time, but crisis following trauma at home and the
> > quilting has taken forever, it seems.

> > So, I suppose the name I have to give it is, "Per aspera, ad astra."
> > a quotation from various sources, meaning 'Through difficulties
> > (adversities) to the stars."

> > Now it is finished, I can only hope that it puts the tin lid on the
> > rest of our troubles. ?We've had enough. ?It is, however, no longer
> > down as, "I'll finish that quilt if it is the last thing I ever do."

> >http://www.FoundCollection.com/

> - Show quoted text -

 
 
 

Quilt picture, I hope

Post by Pat in Virgini » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 04:40:46


Nel: That is absolutely lovely!! I understand why you chose a very
understated 'signature' and would like to suggest you add the place (Silver
City, Scotland) or such. I think who, when, where are the key facts future
quilt fanciers will appreciate.
Pat in ***ia, USA.


Quote:
> Here are the promised photos of the blue and white quilt. ...cut...
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/

> BTW, I've signed it with a pima pen Nel Eyre 2009.  No name, no
> label.  If I decide to throw it in the local craft fair, I can add
> whatever's necessary according to the prevailing rules.