OT Alaska cruise

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Gen » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 08:41:21



For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have any
not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and
Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train trip in
Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
Gen
 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by John » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:31:28



Quote:
> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have any
> not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and
> Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train trip in
> Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
> Gen

We took that cruise out of S.F. and stopped in Victoria BC and then on
up the inland passage. One of the things you can do if you stop in
Juneau is take a Helicopter ride up to the Mendenhall Glacier. It is a
4 passenger helicopter that lands on the glacier and you get out and
walk around. It is very dramatic. There are plenty of tours that are
offered by the Ships to choose from so you should not be wanting for
things to see. Deep see fishing expiditions, stores with Native things
to buy, ect. I will say that it is not a cruise like a Caribbean
cruise in that even during the summer it is not as warm on the decks
as the other more temperate cruise. The view outside during the Inland
Passage part of the trip is one of endless mountain ranges on shore
followed by endless mountain ranges. The White Pass Railway out of
Skagway is a truly scenic one and should not be missed. It is amazing
to think that that roadbed was carved out of the overhanging cliff
face. The most expensive, per mile, railway in the world. Hope this
helps.

John

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Sand » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:25:56




Quote:
> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have any
> not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and
> Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train trip in
> Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
> Gen

We took a similar cruise out of Vancouver a few years ago. DH and I took
a bus trip in Skagway, and DT and her DH took the train. They were very
disappointed in the train, since it didn't ever stop for them to take
pictures; it was hot and noisy, too. OTOH, DH and I enjoyed the bus trip
immensely. It was comfortable (though not as intriguing-sounding <G>),
and we stopped in lots of places for pictures. Just MHO. :)

We didn't get to stop in Victoria with our itinerary, since we left from
Vancouver, but we'd been there once before. It's a delightful place! If
you hit it on Canada Day, you may get lucky and see bagpipers and all
sorts of celebratory "stuff". We were thoroughly entranced by the place
and by the hospitality of the residents. :)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Marcella Pee » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:37:17




Quote:
> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have any
> not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and
> Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train trip in
> Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
> Gen

We did a similar cruise last summer.  

In Juneau we walked the main drag and there's a quilt shop :-)  Then we
went on an excursion to the glacier and took a hike and wandered the
nature center and finished up with a salmon feed.  The glacier was
beautiful especially if you are into hiking.  The dinner was delicious
and I do recommend that - many of the excursions offered in Juneau were
offered with that dinner stop on our cruise.

Ketchikan we did our own walking tour of the town.  The town library has
a nice totem pole outside and a small museum in the building.  We are
museum fans and find joy in looking at old photographs and such.  It's
small but interesting if you are into that type of thing.

Skagway I highly recommend a stop in the ranger station.  Parts of the
town are owned by the national park service.  You can hit the ranger
station and look around and they offer a free walking tour that was
really fun.  Free is always good.  There are also two quilt shops in
town that we walked past and into.

Enjoy!

marcella

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Pami » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:46:17


My brother took that trip years ago and loved it....I hear food is expensive
in Alaska.
Pami
 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Donna in Idah » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:50:41


We took the train trip in Skagway and loved it.  I took lots of pictures -
shooting out the window.  They all turned out good.  We were there in late
August & it was pretty cool.  I enjoyed the trip even though I had stubbed
my bare toe really bad the day before and could hardly walk.
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com


Quote:


>> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have
>> any
>> not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and
>> Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train trip
>> in
>> Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
>> Gen

> We took a similar cruise out of Vancouver a few years ago. DH and I took
> a bus trip in Skagway, and DT and her DH took the train. They were very
> disappointed in the train, since it didn't ever stop for them to take
> pictures; it was hot and noisy, too. OTOH, DH and I enjoyed the bus trip
> immensely. It was comfortable (though not as intriguing-sounding <G>),
> and we stopped in lots of places for pictures. Just MHO. :)

> We didn't get to stop in Victoria with our itinerary, since we left from
> Vancouver, but we'd been there once before. It's a delightful place! If
> you hit it on Canada Day, you may get lucky and see bagpipers and all
> sorts of celebratory "stuff". We were thoroughly entranced by the place
> and by the hospitality of the residents. :)

> --
> Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
> sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
> http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Gen » Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:58:43


Thanks to all that answered my questions.  At this point I'm not going to
schedule any walking trips due to the foot surgery.  I hope by July it will
be healed enough to get back to normal.  For some reason the travel agent
wants our choices by next week----they'll just have to wait on mine.
Gen


Quote:
> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have
> any not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway,
> and Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train
> trip in Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
> Gen

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Sherry Star » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 02:51:11


DH & I drove to Alaska about 15 years ago, and we are thinking of doing it
again this summer.  We are also looking at cruises.  I have friends who have
taken Alaska cruises at least once, and they all say not to miss the train
ride.  Be sure you take lots of mosquito spray for when you are outdoors.

Sherry Starr


Quote:
> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have
> any not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway,
> and Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train
> trip in Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
> Gen

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Marily » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 03:01:06



Quote:
> DH & I drove to Alaska about 15 years ago, and we are thinking of doing it
> again this summer.  We are also looking at cruises.  I have friends who have
> taken Alaska cruises at least once, and they all say not to miss the train
> ride.  Be sure you take lots of mosquito spray for when you are outdoors.

> Sherry Starr



> > For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have
> > any not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway,
> > and Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train
> > trip in Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
> > Gen

If you are up for walking and you enjoy walking around gardens,
Bouchard Gardens in Victoria is very nice. I believe it was part of a
bus tour of Victoria as well. I think we spent something like 1-2
hours in the garden, stopped off at a large park for some more
walking, and then traveled downtown by bus for a short history lesson.

Ketchikan has a nice bus tour that included a stop at a native culture
location and then takes you downtown to the "Red Light" district of
the past. The district is now all little boutiques if you are looking
to do some shopping.

In Juneau, there is a bar not far from where the cruise ships drop you
off.  If you do a self walking tour of Juneau or if you have time
after another tour, we had a fun time sitting in the bar listening to
the locals chatter as well as sing as there is a small stage where a
band was set up.  Can't remember the name of the establishment but I
remember it was about 1.5 blocks from the ship and was painted red.

We were on one of the Princess line cruise boats so I'm not sure the
other lines do the same tours or not.  Of course, this was back in
1993 so I'm sure things have changed a lot.

Marilyn

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Pati Coo » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 05:19:42


Gen, you might consider renting a wheelchair for the duration of the
cruise. <G>  I had foot surgery a few years ago and did that. I am
pretty sure that if there are walking tours around towns, at least, that
they should be wheel chair accessible. That way you would not put undue
pressure on your healing and still be able to see the sights. You could
walk when/if you felt like it and use the chair at other times.  And
they do fold down fairly small for when on board.

Pati, in Phx

Quote:

> Thanks to all that answered my questions.  At this point I'm not going to
> schedule any walking trips due to the foot surgery.  I hope by July it will
> be healed enough to get back to normal.  For some reason the travel agent
> wants our choices by next week----they'll just have to wait on mine.
> Gen



>>For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have
>>any not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway,
>>and Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train
>>trip in Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
>>Gen

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by ~KK in BC » Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:17:17


I mention again, if you are driving up to Alaska, anyone in here, PLEASE let
me know and I would love to meet you for coffee at Tim Hortons!!

Afterall I  DO live at the Mile Zero of the Alaska Highway! lol

~KK in BC~


: DH & I drove to Alaska about 15 years ago, and we are thinking of doing it
: again this summer.  We are also looking at cruises.  I have friends who
have
: taken Alaska cruises at least once, and they all say not to miss the train
: ride.  Be sure you take lots of mosquito spray for when you are outdoors.
:
: Sherry Starr
:

: > For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have
: > any not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway,
: > and Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train
: > trip in Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
: > Gen
: >
:
:

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Pat in Virgini » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:37:34


Gen: We did a cruise last July. Although we had booked
excursions early, the on-board excursion office was
still booking tours while at sea for those tours not at
full capacity. We were on Celebrity Lines. YMMV.

In Juneau we took the Float Plane tour. It did not stop
on the glacier, but we had a great time. Sometimes
flights (fixed wing or helicopter) are canceled due to
weather. Our flight happened to be scheduled at about
1:30 PM, and it was the first flight of the day. All
earlier flights were scrubbed because of weather.

In Skagway, we took the train trip. The trip was slow
enough to take lots of photos. I especially enjoyed
going up to the observation car to take photos 'on
top.' Also, when we came down, the crew required the
passengers to swap seats ... inboard for outboard ...
so everyone got a chance to see the various scenes. The
Ranger stuff is good too.

If you want LQS info, remind me to find my stuff. I hit
  five LQS in Alaska, including those towns.

PAT

Quote:

> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have any
> not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and
> Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train trip in
> Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
> Gen

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Gen » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:41:46


Thanks Pat.  I have the names of 3, but if we do the hoped for excursions, I
may not hit them. Like I need more fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gen



Quote:
> Gen: We did a cruise last July. Although we had booked excursions early,
> the on-board excursion office was still booking tours while at sea for
> those tours not at full capacity. We were on Celebrity Lines. YMMV.

> In Juneau we took the Float Plane tour. It did not stop on the glacier,
> but we had a great time. Sometimes flights (fixed wing or helicopter) are
> canceled due to weather. Our flight happened to be scheduled at about 1:30
> PM, and it was the first flight of the day. All earlier flights were
> scrubbed because of weather.

> In Skagway, we took the train trip. The trip was slow enough to take lots
> of photos. I especially enjoyed going up to the observation car to take
> photos 'on top.' Also, when we came down, the crew required the passengers
> to swap seats ... inboard for outboard ... so everyone got a chance to see
> the various scenes. The Ranger stuff is good too.

> If you want LQS info, remind me to find my stuff. I hit five LQS in
> Alaska, including those towns.

> PAT


>> For those that either live in Alaska or have cruised there, do you have
>> any not to be missed excursions?  We stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway,
>> and Victoria, NC. The trip is in mid July.  I think we'll do the train
>> trip in Skagway.  Does anyone on RCTQ live in these towns?
>> Gen

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Marcella Pee » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:38:50




Quote:
> Thanks Pat.  I have the names of 3, but if we do the hoped for excursions, I
> may not hit them. Like I need more fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Gen

If you can only visit one, I suggest the one in Juneau.  That shop has
lots of Alaska theme fabrics (I got the cutest Russian doll fabric) and
more local patterns than any of the other shops we visited.  Nice memory
to have something that you can only get in Alaska.

marcella

 
 
 

OT Alaska cruise

Post by Gen » Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:45:13


Thanks.
Gen


Quote:


>> Thanks Pat.  I have the names of 3, but if we do the hoped for
>> excursions, I
>> may not hit them. Like I need more fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> Gen

> If you can only visit one, I suggest the one in Juneau.  That shop has
> lots of Alaska theme fabrics (I got the cutest Russian doll fabric) and
> more local patterns than any of the other shops we visited.  Nice memory
> to have something that you can only get in Alaska.

> marcella