Quilting Cruises

Quilting Cruises

Post by Lizzy Taylo » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:25:12



I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
new places & making new friends.  One thing that had put me off was that
on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to catch
the cruise ship.  However I found this one:

http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

Has anybody been on this type of trip?  Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
it? Did you learn lots?  Would you do it again?

Lizzy

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Patt » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:51:32


Many years ago I did a (non-quilting) cruise from Bergen, up the west
coast of Norway to the Geiranger fjord.  It was wonderful.  This price
looks reasonable, even for single occupancy.  I have read about a cruise
around the Western Isles of Scotland which, then, was over 3000.

It does sound lovely.  It could have bad weather in those areas; but
then you have all your quilting lessons etc - and what fabulous
teachers!
.


Quote:
>I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
>new places & making new friends.  One thing that had put me off was
>that on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to
>catch the cruise ship.  However I found this one:

>http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

>Has anybody been on this type of trip?  Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
>it? Did you learn lots?  Would you do it again?

>Lizzy

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Sand » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:36:14




Quote:
> I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
> new places & making new friends.  One thing that had put me off was that
> on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to catch
> the cruise ship.  However I found this one:

> http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

> Has anybody been on this type of trip?  Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
> it? Did you learn lots?  Would you do it again?

> Lizzy

I've never done a quilting cruise (DH isn't wild about going, though it
wouldn't affect him in the least; I don't think I'd ever go without
him), but I have cruised and enjoy it. The worst part of cruising is the
at-sea days, and this would eliminate that problem, as you'd be busily
quilting!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Dr. Zachary Smit » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:52:35



Quote:
> I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
> new places & making new friends. ?One thing that had put me off was that
> on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to catch
> the cruise ship. ?However I found this one:

> http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

> Has anybody been on this type of trip? ?Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
> it? Did you learn lots? ?Would you do it again?

> Lizzy

I don't know... What puts me off is that on top of the cruise cost
would be the cost of flying to the US to catch the cruise ship.  8^P

Now if someone combined a quilting cruise with a poker cruise...

Doc

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Gen » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:23:20


How can the days at sea the worst part, with all the things there are to do
on a cruise??  I just can't imagine that.  For me, there's never enough time
at sea to do all the activities that are offered.  I've not done a quilting
cruise, but did an embroidery one.  I don't think I'd ever do a class cruise
again, for the above mentioned reasons.  Missed way too much that the ship
had to offer.  I know 2 others that did take a quilt cruise, and they said
the same thing.  I love cruises.
Gen


Quote:

> The worst part of cruising is the
> at-sea days, and this would eliminate that problem, as you'd be busily
> quilting!

> --
> Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
> sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
> http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Sand » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:55:18



Quote:

> How can the days at sea the worst part, with all the things there are to do
> on a cruise??  I just can't imagine that.  For me, there's never enough time
> at sea to do all the activities that are offered.  I've not done a quilting
> cruise, but did an embroidery one.  I don't think I'd ever do a class cruise
> again, for the above mentioned reasons.  Missed way too much that the ship
> had to offer.  I know 2 others that did take a quilt cruise, and they said
> the same thing.  I love cruises.
> Gen

I love cruises, too, but mainly for the chance to go see a new place.
I've done several cruises, and the shipboard activities are okay, but
they're a bit repetitive. But -- as always -- different strokes .... <G>

Quote:




> > The worst part of cruising is the
> > at-sea days, and this would eliminate that problem, as you'd be busily
> > quilting!

> > --
> > Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
> > sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
> > http://www.sandymike.net

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
http://www.sandymike.net
 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Mary » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 05:00:13


I have never taken a "quilting cruise", but always take a tote bag
with quilting with me on board any ship!  Sometimes I take wholecloth
blocks, which later become a part of a quilt made of wholecloth blocks
set off with sashing.  Othertimes I take piecing.  After breakfast and
a morning at the pool and then a light lunch, I get cleaned up, grab
my bag of stitching, and find a spot in a lounge by the windows, order
a soda pop, and stitch while bingo, a trivia quiz, or something else
is going on.  I find that if you are reading a book people leave you
alone, but if you are stitching people tend to stop, ask what you're
working on, and stay to chat a bit.  I adore days at sea!
 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Anne Roger » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:35:41


Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
it is worth bearing in mind.

Cheers
Anne

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Sand » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:57:13




Quote:
> Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
> only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
> cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
> on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
> else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
> the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
> it is worth bearing in mind.

> Cheers
> Anne

I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
(a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine. :)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Polly Esthe » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:01:01


I think I would like to go on a cruise so long as they stayed at the dock.
Polly


Quote:


>> Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
>> only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
>> cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
>> on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
>> else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
>> the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
>> it is worth bearing in mind.

>> Cheers
>> Anne

> I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
> boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
> (a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
> straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
> always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine. :)

> --
> Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
> sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
> http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Tari » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:11:06


well then I guess I might go on a flight if the plane didn't leave the
ground!
Taria,  the  poor traveler

Quote:
>I think I would like to go on a cruise so long as they stayed at the dock.
>Polly





>>> Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
>>> only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
>>> cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
>>> on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
>>> else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
>>> the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
>>> it is worth bearing in mind.

>>> Cheers
>>> Anne

>> I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
>> boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
>> (a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
>> straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
>> always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine. :)

>> --
>> Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
>> sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
>> http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Anne Roger » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:26:57


Quote:
> I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
> boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
> (a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
> straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
> always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine. :)

She found something to take that worked, but she said it made her drowsy
   and even though she made it to the classes etc felt like she didn't
get much out of them.

Cheers
Anne

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Polly Esthe » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:31:32


LOL    Thanks Taria.  I needed that.  Once upon a time we went with friends
to what's called the Blessing of the Fleet; attended by boat or ship.  I
promised the Dear Lord Himself that if He would get us safely out of that,
that He wouldn't have to do it again.
    Mercy!  at the drunk drivers at sea.  Really. It is quite a celebration
and festival - but, thank you, I'll view from the shore.  Polly

"Taria" <wrote> well then I guess I might go on a flight if the plane didn't
leave the

Quote:
> ground!
> Taria,  the  poor traveler
> "Polly Esther" <wrote>>I think I would like to go on a cruise so long as
> they stayed at the dock.
>>Polly

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Lizzy Taylo » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:32:31


Quote:

> Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
> only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
> cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
> on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
> else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
> the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
> it is worth bearing in mind.

I've never been on a cruise, but have lost count of the number of hours
I have spent on the 12 hour Hull to Zeebrugge / Rotterdam ferry
crossings.  I've only felt slightly ill on a couple of those and that
was when thes were rough.

Lizzy

 
 
 

Quilting Cruises

Post by Shirley Shon » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:31:48




Quote:

>> Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
>>only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
>>cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
>>on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of
>>anyone  else having such trouble, so she may well have been very
>>unlucky that  the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what
>>set her off, but  it is worth bearing in mind.

>I've never been on a cruise, but have lost count of the number of hours
>I have spent on the 12 hour Hull to Zeebrugge / Rotterdam ferry
>crossings.  I've only felt slightly ill on a couple of those and that
>was when thes were rough.

>Lizzy

Where did you sail from.
My eldest son is Chief Electronics Officer on Stena from Harwich to
Rotterdam.
My youngest son is also Chief Electronics Officer on Stena from
Immingham to Rotterdam. His is mainly cargo though.
Shirley
PS for John I put some of my DH's wood turning projects up on my web
site.
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk