sewing table

sewing table

Post by Anne Roger » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:11:58



It's my birthday in 6 weeks. Given it's a special birthday (30) and DH
just got a rather nice bonus, I'm thinking of asking for a sewing table,
the kind you set your machine into.

I'm clueless about what is available, which brands, what kind of price
to expect, how easy it is to get one that fits your machine etc. I want
to know about all the options, regardless of price, so I can make an
informed choice. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers
Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Sand » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:27:51




Quote:
> It's my birthday in 6 weeks. Given it's a special birthday (30) and DH
> just got a rather nice bonus, I'm thinking of asking for a sewing table,
> the kind you set your machine into.

> I'm clueless about what is available, which brands, what kind of price
> to expect, how easy it is to get one that fits your machine etc. I want
> to know about all the options, regardless of price, so I can make an
> informed choice. Can anyone help me out?

> Cheers
> Anne

Anne, I just bought my table less than a year ago. I looked at Horn,
Koala and Tracey's Tables versions while I was in Houston and finally
decided that Tracey's Tables was the company for me. I can't say enough
good things about them, though I'm not sure they'll ship as far as the
UK. ;) My table is wood (not veneer or plastic) and came completely
assembled; it was delivered to my sewing room (not to the front step of
the house) and put in exactly the position I wanted. It came with an
insert to fit my Bernina so that I have a completely flat surface, but
there's also a "lift" in it so I can have the machine below the surface
and covered over to hide it or up high in order to use the free arm or
to clean the bobbin area easily. I love it! :)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Anne Roger » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:49:02


Quote:
> though I'm not sure they'll ship as far as the
> UK. ;)

I don't live in the UK, I never changed my email when I moved to the US,
I thought you might remember me from when I posted about getting stuck
in the snow in Las Vegas in December.

Cheers
Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Anne Roger » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:56:09


 > My table is wood (not veneer or plastic) and came completely
Quote:
> assembled; it was delivered to my sewing room (not to the front step of
> the house) and put in exactly the position I wanted. It came with an
> insert to fit my Bernina so that I have a completely flat surface, but
> there's also a "lift" in it so I can have the machine below the surface
> and covered over to hide it or up high in order to use the free arm or
> to clean the bobbin area easily. I love it! :)

I've now had a chance to look at their website, it looks like good
stuff, but they don't exactly overwhelm you with information, or prices.
  Which one did you get? I need to measure my space, but I rather like
the look of the "double box" for getting plenty of space behind and to
the left of the machine.

Cheers
Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Sand » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:26:19




Quote:
>  > My table is wood (not veneer or plastic) and came completely
> > assembled; it was delivered to my sewing room (not to the front step of
> > the house) and put in exactly the position I wanted. It came with an
> > insert to fit my Bernina so that I have a completely flat surface, but
> > there's also a "lift" in it so I can have the machine below the surface
> > and covered over to hide it or up high in order to use the free arm or
> > to clean the bobbin area easily. I love it! :)

> I've now had a chance to look at their website, it looks like good
> stuff, but they don't exactly overwhelm you with information, or prices.
>   Which one did you get? I need to measure my space, but I rather like
> the look of the "double box" for getting plenty of space behind and to
> the left of the machine.

> Cheers
> Anne

Anne, I have the 3-drawer quilter's cabinet; it has a back leaf and a
side leaf on each end. I would have loved to have had the double box,
but my room is quite small and is now almost wall-to-wall cabinet. <g>

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Sand » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:26:58




Quote:
> I don't live in the UK, I never changed my email when I moved to the US,
> I thought you might remember me from when I posted about getting stuck
> in the snow in Las Vegas in December.

> Cheers
> Anne

Well, duh! Of course I do! I'd completely forgotten, though. All the
more reason why I'm glad I posted about Tracey's Tables. :)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
http://www.sandymike.net

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Gen » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:30:05


I really like my Quilter's Dream by Horn.  Go to Horn of America's web site.
They have several different versions.
Gen


Quote:
> It's my birthday in 6 weeks. Given it's a special birthday (30) and DH
> just got a rather nice bonus, I'm thinking of asking for a sewing table,
> the kind you set your machine into.

> I'm clueless about what is available, which brands, what kind of price to
> expect, how easy it is to get one that fits your machine etc. I want to
> know about all the options, regardless of price, so I can make an informed
> choice. Can anyone help me out?

> Cheers
> Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Tari » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:03:59


I saw a Koala cabinet at my favorite thrift store last month.  I was able to
really give it a good look.  It didn't look like it had held up very well.
Now, I have no idea of just what or how it was abused but I would hesitate
to purchase one after seeing how it is made and where it failed.  Not much
in the way of real wood.  I have an old Singer cabinet that I bought for $10
to check out how it worked for me.  It was oak and cosmetically challenged.
I was able to retrofit it for two machines.  It works so well I refinshed it
and updated the hardware.  If you can hit a quilt show with a lot of vendors
you might get a good idea of what works for you.  More solid wood is better
imo.  Where you sit in relation to the needle is important to lots of folk.
Nice bd present that will be!
Taria

Quote:
> It's my birthday in 6 weeks. Given it's a special birthday (30) and DH
> just got a rather nice bonus, I'm thinking of asking for a sewing table,
> the kind you set your machine into.

> I'm clueless about what is available, which brands, what kind of price to
> expect, how easy it is to get one that fits your machine etc. I want to
> know about all the options, regardless of price, so I can make an informed
> choice. Can anyone help me out?

> Cheers
> Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Robert » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:31:57


Can't help as to brand, because mine is German. But they all seem
pretty similar. If possible, find a dealer where you can try them out
for fit, to see if you have room for your legs and feet in your
favorite sewing position, and to see that the machine needle is
centered on your body. (Some of them are a bit too far to the left.)
They will all fit your machine, because you order a plastic insert cut
to your machine's  dimensions. If you have more than one, you could
theoretically order inserts for each one and they would all fit.
Otherwise, my advice is to get the biggest table you have space for,
because you want every bit of table surface you can get to hold the
quilt for FMQ. Some of them have an extension that slides out on the
left to help hold the quilt. And while you're at it, get yourself one
of the XXXL cutting mats to put next to the machine -very useful! And
they all have lovely options for thread storage, etc. Mine has 3 big
drawers where I can keep all my thread, plus odds and ends such as
marking and drafting tools, needles, and SM feet.
Roberta in D



Quote:
>It's my birthday in 6 weeks. Given it's a special birthday (30) and DH
>just got a rather nice bonus, I'm thinking of asking for a sewing table,
>the kind you set your machine into.

>I'm clueless about what is available, which brands, what kind of price
>to expect, how easy it is to get one that fits your machine etc. I want
>to know about all the options, regardless of price, so I can make an
>informed choice. Can anyone help me out?

>Cheers
>Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Maureen Woznia » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:50:13


On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:11:58 -0500, Anne Rogers wrote

Quote:
> It's my birthday in 6 weeks. Given it's a special birthday (30) and DH
> just got a rather nice bonus, I'm thinking of asking for a sewing table,
> the kind you set your machine into.

> I'm clueless about what is available, which brands, what kind of price
> to expect, how easy it is to get one that fits your machine etc. I want
> to know about all the options, regardless of price, so I can make an
> informed choice. Can anyone help me out?

> Cheers
> Anne

Mine ended up being custom made, but a couple of my friends have either the
Horn or the Koala cabinets.  So far they are both pleased with theirs.

Maureen

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Marcella Pee » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 23:32:42


I spent a lot of time trying out tables.  I finally settled on one by
Sylvia's Designs because it fit my over sized machine well and had leg
room for me.

It's worth it to visit the shops near you and sit down at the different
tables.  Some are quite crowded underneath depending on how they are
built.  Depending on your size this make a big comfort difference.

Ideally for sewing you want to be able to sit centered on the needle.  
Some tables are built so that you end up centered on the machine; not as
comfortable.

Ask about what the table is made of.  Find out if the inserts that fit
your machine are included or extra.  See how the tables fold up.  
Sometimes I sew with my table fully extended and sometimes not depending
on what else is going on in the room at that time.  Some tables can only
be sewn at when fully opened.  Make sure the table works for you.

Seems like all the companies sell extra drawers for storage separately.  
Look at them and see who has a configuration that fits your
stash/thread/notions best.

marcella



Quote:
> It's my birthday in 6 weeks. Given it's a special birthday (30) and DH
> just got a rather nice bonus, I'm thinking of asking for a sewing table,
> the kind you set your machine into.

> I'm clueless about what is available, which brands, what kind of price
> to expect, how easy it is to get one that fits your machine etc. I want
> to know about all the options, regardless of price, so I can make an
> informed choice. Can anyone help me out?

> Cheers
> Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Maureen Woznia » Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:45:34


On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:32:42 -0500, Marcella Peek wrote

Quote:
> I spent a lot of time trying out tables.  I finally settled on one by
> Sylvia's Designs because it fit my over sized machine well and had leg
> room for me.

> It's worth it to visit the shops near you and sit down at the different
> tables.  Some are quite crowded underneath depending on how they are
> built.  Depending on your size this make a big comfort difference.

> Ideally for sewing you want to be able to sit centered on the needle.  
> Some tables are built so that you end up centered on the machine; not as
> comfortable.

> Ask about what the table is made of.  Find out if the inserts that fit
> your machine are included or extra.  See how the tables fold up.  
> Sometimes I sew with my table fully extended and sometimes not depending
> on what else is going on in the room at that time.  Some tables can only
> be sewn at when fully opened.  Make sure the table works for you.

> Seems like all the companies sell extra drawers for storage separately.  
> Look at them and see who has a configuration that fits your
> stash/thread/notions best.

> marcella

My friend adds this.  If your QI wants to sit on the extension next to you,
make sure it will hold her weight when she jumps up there.

Maureen

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Anne Roger » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 04:48:19


Quote:
> My friend adds this.  If your QI wants to sit on the extension next to you,
> make sure it will hold her weight when she jumps up there.

No QIs in this house! I hope to go and look this weekend at one place
that I think sells Koala tables and another that I think sells tables
made by a small local business. Hubby has in principal agreed to the
idea, though was shocked to find out the price!

Cheers
Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Tari » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 05:06:44


It's just money.
Taria, ducking and running

"Anne Rogers"  Hubby has in principal agreed to the

Quote:
> idea, though was shocked to find out the price!

> Cheers
> Anne

 
 
 

sewing table

Post by Polly Esthe » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 05:51:44


Well, yes, Taria, it is only money - but you can spend a whole lot of it and
get a miserable piece of junk.  I've seen many SM tables that sort of bowed
down in the middle from the weight of a SM.  Don't know what the addition of
a 10 or 20 lb QI might contribute to the party.
    My SM tables are nothing fancy; only sturdy wooden drafting tables, but
if a gator or two wants to waddle up and nap it will be just fine.  I will
not disturb them.
    Furthermore - I've seen some very costly SM tables that 'looked like' a
good idea but seemed miserably inconvenient to me.  Polly

"Taria" <twrote> It's just money.

Quote:
> Taria, ducking and running

> "Anne Rogers"  Hubby has in principal agreed to the
>> idea, though was shocked to find out the price!