I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Tia Mar » Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:52:58



Hi Guys,
     OOOOO -- I am dead tired and totally exhausted but *must* tell you
all about meeting Jessamy and the Old Mill LQS and her lovely little boy
and everything else.  But first let me say that there are really only
three things I don't like about traveling in Europe -- almost no free
public rest rooms (except when traveling on the major highways), rough
toilet paper and -- MOST awful of all -- NO ICE for drinks:-))).  I
never realize how dependent I am on having ice for my cold drinks until
I go to Europe :-).
    The trip over wasn't bad at all until we got to Venlo and tried to
find our hotel.  DH had gotten directions from the hotel and from --
BOTH were wrong so we got the official "lost tourist" city tour --
LOLOL!  I had DH stop in one of the shopping areas and I went in to a
shop that sells flooring and asked for directions.  Well, first I asked
if anyone spoke English :-).  Anyway, with proper directions, we finally
found the hotel and got ourselves settled.
   Jessamy phoned the next morning about 9:30AM to say she was on her
way and would be there in about 40 mins.  I had breakfast and settled
myself in the lobby with my needlework -- MagEyes and all.  Jess showed
up less than 10 minutes later and we proceeded to have the official
"meet & greet".   She told you about the "special surprise" which I knew
she wanted but couldn't purchase.  I had a coupon for Joann's so I got
her the ruler as a thank you for schlepping me around :-).  It was FUN
watching her take it out of the bag -- I do love to be able to surprise
someone with a gift that I am positive they will like :-))))))
    She told you about the Kitty Fabrics (what else would I bring AND
they were in HER fav colours) and the Jelly Bellies I brought for her.
Even though she knew she was going to get the candy, you'da thunk I had
brought her the most awesome culinary delight ever made -- LOLOL.  I
told her I would be happy to trade jelly beans for stash any time and I
think she almost went into a fugue state thinking about a relatively
unlimited supply of the little yummy things :-).  Anyway, what she
DIDN'T tell you about was the PURPLE fabrics I brought her -- LOLOLOL!
Not just one purple fabric either -- I brought several.
    Besides the absolutely wonderful chocolates and cookies (AKA
Biscuits) that she brought for me, she also brought some truly lovely
fabrics for me.  As she said, they were made in her hometown and I am
jealous that she has access to "fresh" fabric!!!!!  She brought three
different fabrics -- a lovely red with a sort of star burst background
print and a large hibiscus fl***stripe done in beige & a sort of khaki
with gold outlining -- truly unusual and lovely.  The other two fabrics
look to be from the same line -- they coordinate beautifully.  They both
have a beige ground with a black and med. brown all over geometric
background print.  One has a sort of square in a square background with
paisley looking pheasants that have some dark navy accent areas.  There
are also largish paisley fl***"medallions" in a style whose name I
can't remember!!  The other print also has some navy blue and it too is
a paisley looking fl***"stripe" that is really an "S" curve.  They are
all three quite lovely and almost all of the chocolates and cookies have
magically disappeared!!!
    On to the LQ&NS.  First tho', I could NOT believe how nervous Jess
was about making that 3 point turn (actually only needed 2 turns) on the
hill.  I didn't think it was that big a hill but Jess was almost
sweating bullets by the time she got turned around :-).  So, I had
thought I might ask Jess if she knew where there were any LNS but
remembered that almost all of the shops I had been in while in Europe
sold both quilting and embroidery stuff.  This shop was no different and
had a lovely supply of needlework fabrics that just aren't available
this side of the pond.  I bought a 2/3 m. piece of a sort of table
topper fabric.  It has a lovely geometric design woven into it that
forms eight squares that are suitable for Hardanger -- exactly what I
was hoping to find :-).
   Now, the fabrics I saw were wonderful -- truly lovely stuff.  There
were the standard American fabrics that I would loved to have bought but
didn't see the sense in spending my money on stuff I could get at home.
   I bought a half meter of three different fabrics.  First is a
wonderful little purple fl***with tiny little yellow centers and small
green leaves and a very dark navy ground.  Next is a bright red, yellow
& orange plaid that is probably about 52" wide!  Then I got a wonderful
red, white & green plaid -- perfect for use in all sorts of Christmas
stuff and I plan on putting some into my Christmas Kitty quilt.  Finally
I bought a FQ of some KITTY Christmas fabric :-).  It's from this side
of the pond but that's OK -- I didn't have it in my stash AND I bought
it in The Netherlands :-)).  It's got kitties and puppies all over it
playing and doing silly things with candy canes and holly in the background.
    The shop was wonderful with most of the fabric upstairs and the
needlework stuff and notions downstairs.  You could look up to the roof
and see all of the gears and wheels, etc. of the original mill.  You
could almost feel all of the people who used to walk through the mill --
it was truly wonderful!  Add to that the fact that this was the first
time Jessamy had been to the shop and it was a WONDERFUL experience.
    We went to the town center and walked around a bit looking for a
restaurant.  Jess picked a "cafeteria" in one of the department stores.
  Not a regular walk through the line cafeteria but one of those that
has salads in one section, soups and sandwiches in another, desserts in
another, etc.  I had a lovely salad and a wonderful carbonated
blackberry soda and did my best to scrounge up some ice but it was not
to be :-(.  After eating I got to see all of Jessamy's wonderful small
quilts and pictures of her larger one in the quilt magazines.  OOOOO
they were ALL beautiful    .  And yes, I got to see all of the horrid,
tiny little hexagons she is cutting out and sewing together.  She is
sick, wrong in the head, will need special counseling once she has THAT
project completed -- LOL!  She is grouping the different colors into
different shapes (large "flowers", diamonds, squares, etc.) and it will
be quite interesting to see what the final quilt will look like!
   As Jessamy said, after lunch we had to head home.  Poor little
Alexander -- who had been absolutely wonderful the whole time --  fell
asleep in his car seat in the back seat.  We got rain and then hail on
the way home  but made it back to my hotel OK.  I was tired when I got
back to my room  but had a wonderful time going through all of my
chocolate AND fabric stash!
    I'm going to have to try and scan the fabric Jess gave me and the
ones I bought.  DH has loaded a new scanner program so I'm not sure when
that will happen. Fool that I am , I totally forgot to bring my camera
along when I met Jessamy so I have no photos of us :-(.   I also don't
have any photos of Venlo since I never had time to do any sightseeing!.
  Same for Dusseldorf and Prague.  They were just  airports we were in
and where we got the rental car.  I DO have some great photos of the
historic district of Olomouc in the Czech Republic.  That is the only
place I actually had a bit of time to go sightseeing while DH was
working.  Again, I'll have to get DH to help we with loading them into
the 'puter.  Once I do and I have stuff up at Webshots, I will post to
let you know.
    We were gone from Sunday to Sunday and were in  FIVE countries --
two of those just airport stops (Paris & Zurich).  But I was there and
even got to see it snow at Charles deGaulle during our 3 hour layover!
   OK -- finally getting tired and think I will actually be able to
sleep.  It's nearing 10:00PM (or 2200 hrs in European time :-) ) so it's
off to have a nice hot soak in the tub.  I'll post when I get photos up
at Webshots.  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at  http://www.FoundCollection.com/

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Polly Esthe » Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:39:42


Thank you so much, I enjoyed your quick trip.  Actually, I'm exhausted by
your trip but it sounds so wonderful.  Polly


Quote:
> Hi Guys,
>     OOOOO -- I am dead tired and totally exhausted but *must* tell you all
> about meeting Jessamy and the Old Mill LQS and her lovely little boy and
> everything else.  But first let me say that there are really only three
> things I don't like about traveling in Europe -- almost no free public
> rest rooms (except when traveling on the major highways), rough toilet
> paper and -- MOST awful of all -- NO ICE for drinks:-))).  I never realize
> how dependent I am on having ice for my cold drinks until I go to Europe
> :-).
>    The trip over wasn't bad at all until we got to Venlo and tried to find
> our hotel.  DH had gotten directions from the hotel and from --
> BOTH were wrong so we got the official "lost tourist" city tour --
> LOLOL!  I had DH stop in one of the shopping areas and I went in to a shop
> that sells flooring and asked for directions.  Well, first I asked if
> anyone spoke English :-).  Anyway, with proper directions, we finally
> found the hotel and got ourselves settled.
>   Jessamy phoned the next morning about 9:30AM to say she was on her way
> and would be there in about 40 mins.  I had breakfast and settled myself
> in the lobby with my needlework -- MagEyes and all.  Jess showed up less
> than 10 minutes later and we proceeded to have the official "meet &
> greet".   She told you about the "special surprise" which I knew she
> wanted but couldn't purchase.  I had a coupon for Joann's so I got her the
> ruler as a thank you for schlepping me around :-).  It was FUN watching
> her take it out of the bag -- I do love to be able to surprise someone
> with a gift that I am positive they will like :-))))))
>    She told you about the Kitty Fabrics (what else would I bring AND they
> were in HER fav colours) and the Jelly Bellies I brought for her. Even
> though she knew she was going to get the candy, you'da thunk I had brought
> her the most awesome culinary delight ever made -- LOLOL.  I told her I
> would be happy to trade jelly beans for stash any time and I think she
> almost went into a fugue state thinking about a relatively unlimited
> supply of the little yummy things :-).  Anyway, what she DIDN'T tell you
> about was the PURPLE fabrics I brought her -- LOLOLOL! Not just one purple
> fabric either -- I brought several.
>    Besides the absolutely wonderful chocolates and cookies (AKA Biscuits)
> that she brought for me, she also brought some truly lovely fabrics for
> me.  As she said, they were made in her hometown and I am jealous that she
> has access to "fresh" fabric!!!!!  She brought three different fabrics --  
> a lovely red with a sort of star burst background print and a large
> hibiscus fl***stripe done in beige & a sort of khaki with gold
> outlining -- truly unusual and lovely.  The other two fabrics look to be
> from the same line -- they coordinate beautifully.  They both have a beige
> ground with a black and med. brown all over geometric background print.
> One has a sort of square in a square background with paisley looking
> pheasants that have some dark navy accent areas.  There are also largish
> paisley fl***"medallions" in a style whose name I can't remember!!  The
> other print also has some navy blue and it too is a paisley looking fl***
> "stripe" that is really an "S" curve.  They are all three quite lovely and
> almost all of the chocolates and cookies have magically disappeared!!!
>    On to the LQ&NS.  First tho', I could NOT believe how nervous Jess was
> about making that 3 point turn (actually only needed 2 turns) on the hill.
> I didn't think it was that big a hill but Jess was almost sweating bullets
> by the time she got turned around :-).  So, I had thought I might ask Jess
> if she knew where there were any LNS but remembered that almost all of the
> shops I had been in while in Europe sold both quilting and embroidery
> stuff.  This shop was no different and had a lovely supply of needlework
> fabrics that just aren't available this side of the pond.  I bought a 2/3
> m. piece of a sort of table topper fabric.  It has a lovely geometric
> design woven into it that forms eight squares that are suitable for
> Hardanger -- exactly what I was hoping to find :-).
>   Now, the fabrics I saw were wonderful -- truly lovely stuff.  There were
> the standard American fabrics that I would loved to have bought but didn't
> see the sense in spending my money on stuff I could get at home. I bought
> a half meter of three different fabrics.  First is a wonderful little
> purple fl***with tiny little yellow centers and small green leaves and a
> very dark navy ground.  Next is a bright red, yellow & orange plaid that
> is probably about 52" wide!  Then I got a wonderful red, white & green
> plaid -- perfect for use in all sorts of Christmas stuff and I plan on
> putting some into my Christmas Kitty quilt.  Finally I bought a FQ of some
> KITTY Christmas fabric :-).  It's from this side of the pond but that's
> OK -- I didn't have it in my stash AND I bought it in The Netherlands
> :-)).  It's got kitties and puppies all over it playing and doing silly
> things with candy canes and holly in the background.
>    The shop was wonderful with most of the fabric upstairs and the
> needlework stuff and notions downstairs.  You could look up to the roof
> and see all of the gears and wheels, etc. of the original mill.  You could
> almost feel all of the people who used to walk through the mill --
> it was truly wonderful!  Add to that the fact that this was the first time
> Jessamy had been to the shop and it was a WONDERFUL experience.
>    We went to the town center and walked around a bit looking for a
> restaurant.  Jess picked a "cafeteria" in one of the department stores.
> Not a regular walk through the line cafeteria but one of those that has
> salads in one section, soups and sandwiches in another, desserts in
> another, etc.  I had a lovely salad and a wonderful carbonated blackberry
> soda and did my best to scrounge up some ice but it was not to be :-(.
> After eating I got to see all of Jessamy's wonderful small quilts and
> pictures of her larger one in the quilt magazines.  OOOOO they were ALL
> beautiful    .  And yes, I got to see all of the horrid, tiny little
> hexagons she is cutting out and sewing together.  She is sick, wrong in
> the head, will need special counseling once she has THAT project
> completed -- LOL!  She is grouping the different colors into different
> shapes (large "flowers", diamonds, squares, etc.) and it will be quite
> interesting to see what the final quilt will look like!
>   As Jessamy said, after lunch we had to head home.  Poor little
> Alexander -- who had been absolutely wonderful the whole time --  fell
> asleep in his car seat in the back seat.  We got rain and then hail on the
> way home  but made it back to my hotel OK.  I was tired when I got back to
> my room  but had a wonderful time going through all of my chocolate AND
> fabric stash!
>    I'm going to have to try and scan the fabric Jess gave me and the ones
> I bought.  DH has loaded a new scanner program so I'm not sure when that
> will happen. Fool that I am , I totally forgot to bring my camera along
> when I met Jessamy so I have no photos of us :-(.   I also don't have any
> photos of Venlo since I never had time to do any sightseeing!. Same for
> Dusseldorf and Prague.  They were just  airports we were in and where we
> got the rental car.  I DO have some great photos of the historic district
> of Olomouc in the Czech Republic.  That is the only place I actually had a
> bit of time to go sightseeing while DH was working.  Again, I'll have to
> get DH to help we with loading them into the 'puter.  Once I do and I have
> stuff up at Webshots, I will post to let you know.
>    We were gone from Sunday to Sunday and were in  FIVE countries --
> two of those just airport stops (Paris & Zurich).  But I was there and
> even got to see it snow at Charles deGaulle during our 3 hour layover!
> OK -- finally getting tired and think I will actually be able to sleep.
> It's nearing 10:00PM (or 2200 hrs in European time :-) ) so it's off to
> have a nice hot soak in the tub.  I'll post when I get photos up at
> Webshots.  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

> PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
> Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
> their whiskers!
> Visit my Photo albums at  http://www.FoundCollection.com/


 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Tia Mar » Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:30:03


Quote:

> I'm so glad you got home safe and sound! and glad you had fun too <g>
> about those bullets I sweated... they would have been quilted if the hill
> had been any higher! I'm scared of heights and I live in the **flat** part
> of the country where the highest "hill" is the  slope from the bridge over
> the c***down to the tunnel that was dug under the railroad track (a drop
> of 5 yards over half a mile) a hill like that brings back memories of
> driving over a 2 km high arched bridge over a river in France I would have
> closed my eyes for that one if I could have! (and I planned a different
> route back too hehehe)

> ((hugs))

   If that little hill by the LQS scared Jessamy, I won't tell her about
the Grand Canyon or driving around the Rocky Mountains in Colorado last
summer -- our condo was in the lower elevations, about 3,000 Meters!!
   I forgot to tell everyone about the delightful Fanciful Quilts to
Paper Piece book I bought.  It not only has designs for Kitties (of
course), it also has a wonderful quilt with long and short  haired
dachshunds!  There is also a darling Play Quilt with roads and houses
and parking areas, then a Wedding quilt with hearts, wedding cake,
silver bells, bridal bouquet, champagne and a bride and groom.  There
are also darling quilts with roses, one with turtles (in three different
poses, no less), smiling teddy bear faces and, the other reason I HAD to
buy the book, a quilt with *tulips* and another with *windmills*.  Now,
I ask you, what better souvenir could I have of the Netherlands but
quilt block designs for tulips and for windmills?  Well, except for the
obviously Dutch Kitty block -- if it was designed by a Dutch person,
then it has to be a Dutch kitty, right?  Not only that, the windmill
quilt had the windmills sitting on a hill so they get smaller and
smaller as they climb up the hill!
    Also, let's not forget that Jessamy is even mentioned in the
Acknowledgments because she helped the designer translate the book into
English.  Oh yes, in case someone is interested in getting the book, it
is by Wendy Vosters and is published by Martingale & Company; ISBN
1-56477-578-X.  I paid E27.50 and the printed "other side of the pond"
costs are $24.95 & $35.99 Canadian.  JESSAMY -- would you perhaps have a
link handy that would show the book?  If not, I will Google and see if I
can find a link for folks to take a look at the book.
    Anyway, I had to tell you all about this great book.  It was THE
perfect souvenir for me to bring home from The Netherlands!  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at  http://www.FoundCollection.com/

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Idahoqlt » Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:33:09


I am planning on going to NL in May.  My daughter is studying at
Maastricht this semester.  I will be flying into Amsterdam and meeting
her there.  Can you tell me where I might find a quilt shop?  Looking
at a map, there are a lot of them but not in Ams or near Maas.  We
also hope to do the "Sound of Music" tour in Austria.  All this in one
week!
Debra
 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Jessam » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:41:00


I've seen the grand canyon .. from the safety of my sofa <g> that new glass
platform scares me already and I am not planning on going within 50 yards of
it!

I have been lucky enough to see all the quilts in the book in real life! but
even I despite assisting in making the book readable (her English is very
good - Wendy just needed a few pointers really) I didn't see any of the
quilts till *after* publication - I don't know how Wendy managed to keep the
quilts secret all that time!
the book can be seen at: www.wendyvosters.com and you can also download some
fun free patterns amongst which is a Dutch milkmaid :-)

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessamy_thompson/my_photos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   If that little hill by the LQS scared Jessamy, I won't tell her about
the Grand Canyon or driving around the Rocky Mountains in Colorado last
summer -- our condo was in the lower elevations, about 3,000 Meters!!
   I forgot to tell everyone about the delightful Fanciful Quilts to
Paper Piece book I bought.  It not only has designs for Kitties (of
course), it also has a wonderful quilt with long and short  haired
dachshunds!  There is also a darling Play Quilt with roads and houses
and parking areas, then a Wedding quilt with hearts, wedding cake,
silver bells, bridal bouquet, champagne and a bride and groom.  There
are also darling quilts with roses, one with turtles (in three different
poses, no less), smiling teddy bear faces and, the other reason I HAD to
buy the book, a quilt with *tulips* and another with *windmills*.  Now,
I ask you, what better souvenir could I have of the Netherlands but
quilt block designs for tulips and for windmills?  Well, except for the
obviously Dutch Kitty block -- if it was designed by a Dutch person,
then it has to be a Dutch kitty, right?  Not only that, the windmill
quilt had the windmills sitting on a hill so they get smaller and
smaller as they climb up the hill!
    Also, let's not forget that Jessamy is even mentioned in the
Acknowledgments because she helped the designer translate the book into
English.  Oh yes, in case someone is interested in getting the book, it
is by Wendy Vosters and is published by Martingale & Company; ISBN
1-56477-578-X.  I paid E27.50 and the printed "other side of the pond"
costs are $24.95 & $35.99 Canadian.  JESSAMY -- would you perhaps have a
link handy that would show the book?  If not, I will Google and see if I
can find a link for folks to take a look at the book.
    Anyway, I had to tell you all about this great book.  It was THE
perfect souvenir for me to bring home from The Netherlands!  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at  http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Jessam » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:49:35


actually you are not that far away from the quilt shop I showed Tia
Mary!it's in Heerlen - a short train ride away if you look on this map of
quilt shops in the Netherlands you will see 3 close to each other - one in
Heerlen, one in Beek and one just across the German border not far from
those two http://www.cosman.nl/maps/map_en.php

also in Amsterdam are 2 good shops to visit right in the town centre
www.birdblocks.nl
www.dutchquilts.com (*right* next door to bird blocks!)

May is a good time of year to come with the tulips going mad flowering and
the temps starting to go up nicely :-)

HTH some :-) if not feel free to email me I'd be glad to help!

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessamy_thompson/my_photos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am planning on going to NL in May.  My daughter is studying at
Maastricht this semester.  I will be flying into Amsterdam and meeting
her there.  Can you tell me where I might find a quilt shop?  Looking
at a map, there are a lot of them but not in Ams or near Maas.  We
also hope to do the "Sound of Music" tour in Austria.  All this in one
week!
Debra

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Sand » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 02:09:36



Quote:

> I've seen the grand canyon .. from the safety of my sofa <g> that new glass
> platform scares me already and I am not planning on going within 50 yards of
> it!

I've seen the Grand Canyon in person, and it's magnificent -- even from
a distance away from the edge, which is how I'm most comfortable. <G>
I'm not good with heights. The glass platform/walkway is something
someone *else* will have to test -- I won't go near it! Sheesh -- I
can't even go past the third rung of a ladder! :S The Eiffel Tower and I
have come to an understanding: I stand far from the edge of the second
level and inch my way sloooowwwwwly to the railing, which is covered in
netting to prevent falls/jumps. Works for me -- given enough time. ;)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Roberta Zollne » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 02:37:28


OOOh Jess, she told us and now we all want some!
Mary, sounds like a wonderful visit, except it was too short. Many of us
have gone native: we keep spare change for toilets, bring our own TP when
driving the highways, and drink things that don't need ice. Which is most
things by now :-)
Roberta in D



Quote:
> Hi Guys,
>     OOOOO -- I am dead tired and totally exhausted but *must* tell you all
> about meeting Jessamy and the Old Mill LQS and her lovely little boy and
> everything else.  But first let me say that there are really only three
> things I don't like about traveling in Europe -- almost no free public
> rest rooms (except when traveling on the major highways), rough toilet
> paper and -- MOST awful of all -- NO ICE for drinks:-))).  I never realize
> how dependent I am on having ice for my cold drinks until I go to Europe
> :-).
>    The trip over wasn't bad at all until we got to Venlo and tried to find
> our hotel.  DH had gotten directions from the hotel and from --
> BOTH were wrong so we got the official "lost tourist" city tour --
> LOLOL!  I had DH stop in one of the shopping areas and I went in to a shop
> that sells flooring and asked for directions.  Well, first I asked if
> anyone spoke English :-).  Anyway, with proper directions, we finally
> found the hotel and got ourselves settled.
>   Jessamy phoned the next morning about 9:30AM to say she was on her way
> and would be there in about 40 mins.  I had breakfast and settled myself
> in the lobby with my needlework -- MagEyes and all.  Jess showed up less
> than 10 minutes later and we proceeded to have the official "meet &
> greet".   She told you about the "special surprise" which I knew she
> wanted but couldn't purchase.  I had a coupon for Joann's so I got her the
> ruler as a thank you for schlepping me around :-).  It was FUN watching
> her take it out of the bag -- I do love to be able to surprise someone
> with a gift that I am positive they will like :-))))))
>    She told you about the Kitty Fabrics (what else would I bring AND they
> were in HER fav colours) and the Jelly Bellies I brought for her. Even
> though she knew she was going to get the candy, you'da thunk I had brought
> her the most awesome culinary delight ever made -- LOLOL.  I told her I
> would be happy to trade jelly beans for stash any time and I think she
> almost went into a fugue state thinking about a relatively unlimited
> supply of the little yummy things :-).  Anyway, what she DIDN'T tell you
> about was the PURPLE fabrics I brought her -- LOLOLOL! Not just one purple
> fabric either -- I brought several.
>    Besides the absolutely wonderful chocolates and cookies (AKA Biscuits)
> that she brought for me, she also brought some truly lovely fabrics for
> me.  As she said, they were made in her hometown and I am jealous that she
> has access to "fresh" fabric!!!!!  She brought three different fabrics --  
> a lovely red with a sort of star burst background print and a large
> hibiscus fl***stripe done in beige & a sort of khaki with gold
> outlining -- truly unusual and lovely.  The other two fabrics look to be
> from the same line -- they coordinate beautifully.  They both have a beige
> ground with a black and med. brown all over geometric background print.
> One has a sort of square in a square background with paisley looking
> pheasants that have some dark navy accent areas.  There are also largish
> paisley fl***"medallions" in a style whose name I can't remember!!  The
> other print also has some navy blue and it too is a paisley looking fl***
> "stripe" that is really an "S" curve.  They are all three quite lovely and
> almost all of the chocolates and cookies have magically disappeared!!!
>    On to the LQ&NS.  First tho', I could NOT believe how nervous Jess was
> about making that 3 point turn (actually only needed 2 turns) on the hill.
> I didn't think it was that big a hill but Jess was almost sweating bullets
> by the time she got turned around :-).  So, I had thought I might ask Jess
> if she knew where there were any LNS but remembered that almost all of the
> shops I had been in while in Europe sold both quilting and embroidery
> stuff.  This shop was no different and had a lovely supply of needlework
> fabrics that just aren't available this side of the pond.  I bought a 2/3
> m. piece of a sort of table topper fabric.  It has a lovely geometric
> design woven into it that forms eight squares that are suitable for
> Hardanger -- exactly what I was hoping to find :-).
>   Now, the fabrics I saw were wonderful -- truly lovely stuff.  There were
> the standard American fabrics that I would loved to have bought but didn't
> see the sense in spending my money on stuff I could get at home. I bought
> a half meter of three different fabrics.  First is a wonderful little
> purple fl***with tiny little yellow centers and small green leaves and a
> very dark navy ground.  Next is a bright red, yellow & orange plaid that
> is probably about 52" wide!  Then I got a wonderful red, white & green
> plaid -- perfect for use in all sorts of Christmas stuff and I plan on
> putting some into my Christmas Kitty quilt.  Finally I bought a FQ of some
> KITTY Christmas fabric :-).  It's from this side of the pond but that's
> OK -- I didn't have it in my stash AND I bought it in The Netherlands
> :-)).  It's got kitties and puppies all over it playing and doing silly
> things with candy canes and holly in the background.
>    The shop was wonderful with most of the fabric upstairs and the
> needlework stuff and notions downstairs.  You could look up to the roof
> and see all of the gears and wheels, etc. of the original mill.  You could
> almost feel all of the people who used to walk through the mill --
> it was truly wonderful!  Add to that the fact that this was the first time
> Jessamy had been to the shop and it was a WONDERFUL experience.
>    We went to the town center and walked around a bit looking for a
> restaurant.  Jess picked a "cafeteria" in one of the department stores.
> Not a regular walk through the line cafeteria but one of those that has
> salads in one section, soups and sandwiches in another, desserts in
> another, etc.  I had a lovely salad and a wonderful carbonated blackberry
> soda and did my best to scrounge up some ice but it was not to be :-(.
> After eating I got to see all of Jessamy's wonderful small quilts and
> pictures of her larger one in the quilt magazines.  OOOOO they were ALL
> beautiful    .  And yes, I got to see all of the horrid, tiny little
> hexagons she is cutting out and sewing together.  She is sick, wrong in
> the head, will need special counseling once she has THAT project
> completed -- LOL!  She is grouping the different colors into different
> shapes (large "flowers", diamonds, squares, etc.) and it will be quite
> interesting to see what the final quilt will look like!
>   As Jessamy said, after lunch we had to head home.  Poor little
> Alexander -- who had been absolutely wonderful the whole time --  fell
> asleep in his car seat in the back seat.  We got rain and then hail on the
> way home  but made it back to my hotel OK.  I was tired when I got back to
> my room  but had a wonderful time going through all of my chocolate AND
> fabric stash!
>    I'm going to have to try and scan the fabric Jess gave me and the ones
> I bought.  DH has loaded a new scanner program so I'm not sure when that
> will happen. Fool that I am , I totally forgot to bring my camera along
> when I met Jessamy so I have no photos of us :-(.   I also don't have any
> photos of Venlo since I never had time to do any sightseeing!. Same for
> Dusseldorf and Prague.  They were just  airports we were in and where we
> got the rental car.  I DO have some great photos of the historic district
> of Olomouc in the Czech Republic.  That is the only place I actually had a
> bit of time to go sightseeing while DH was working.  Again, I'll have to
> get DH to help we with loading them into the 'puter.  Once I do and I have
> stuff up at Webshots, I will post to let you know.
>    We were gone from Sunday to Sunday and were in  FIVE countries --
> two of those just airport stops (Paris & Zurich).  But I was there and
> even got to see it snow at Charles deGaulle during our 3 hour layover!
> OK -- finally getting tired and think I will actually be able to sleep.
> It's nearing 10:00PM (or 2200 hrs in European time :-) ) so it's off to
> have a nice hot soak in the tub.  I'll post when I get photos up at
> Webshots.  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

> PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
> Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
> their whiskers!
> Visit my Photo albums at  http://www.FoundCollection.com/

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Tia Mar » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:13:02


Quote:

> OOOh Jess, she told us and now we all want some!
> Mary, sounds like a wonderful visit, except it was too short. Many of us
> have gone native: we keep spare change for toilets, bring our own TP when
> driving the highways, and drink things that don't need ice. Which is most
> things by now :-)
> Roberta in D

   You've noticed that the whole ice, public WC and toilet paper thing
has NOT made me decline a trip to anywhere outside the USA :-).  Once I
was there, I remembered Brigitte (my quilting friend -- some of you
might know her -- in Lennestadt, Germany) telling me to bring a roll of
TP next time I came to visit Europe.  After the first day, I remembered
to always order tea and if I wanted a "cold" drink I would buy a bottle
of water or Diet Coke.  When Jess and I went to the loo in the dept.
store after lunch, she & Alexander were waiting by the exit and she held
up a coin for me to give the attendant but I already had my coin ready
:-).  I'm not sure if I left an appropriate amount but nobody sent the
WC police after me -- LOL!
    I need to remember that when I send boxes of stuff to anyone in
Europe to use rolls of TP as packing material :-).  I had forgotten
about doing that until just now!  Also, if there is anyone wanting to do
a trade for Jelly Belly jelly beans, I would like to have some Hardanger
fabric in a light green :-)!  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at  http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Jessam » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:29:07


hehehe :-)

I keep the WC change in my trousers pocket - usually enough for me and the
kids to go all at the same time so I am never short though some shops will,
if asked the "right way", let a 3 year old go in their toilet rather than
having to clean up the mess if they say no. I don't even like ice in my
drinks so never worry about that part ever LOL

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessamy_thompson/my_photos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOOh Jess, she told us and now we all want some!
Mary, sounds like a wonderful visit, except it was too short. Many of us
have gone native: we keep spare change for toilets, bring our own TP when
driving the highways, and drink things that don't need ice. Which is most
things by now :-)
Roberta in D

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Patt » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 04:59:24


You won't need to do that in Britain, Mary!  Continental Europe is very
different.
Public toilets are not as nice as we buy for our homes; and our highway,
restaurant and department store restrooms are free.  I don't know about
any others, as I don't use them!
.


Quote:

>  You've noticed that the whole ice, public WC and toilet paper thing
>has NOT made me decline a trip to anywhere outside the USA :-).  Once I
>was there, I remembered Brigitte (my quilting friend -- some of you
>might know her -- in Lennestadt, Germany) telling me to bring a roll of
>TP next time I came to visit Europe.  After the first day, I remembered
>to always order tea and if I wanted a "cold" drink I would buy a bottle
>of water or Diet Coke.  When Jess and I went to the loo in the dept.
>store after lunch, she & Alexander were waiting by the exit and she
>held up a coin for me to give the attendant but I already had my coin
>ready :-).  I'm not sure if I left an appropriate amount but nobody
>sent the WC police after me -- LOL!
>   I need to remember that when I send boxes of stuff to anyone in
>Europe to use rolls of TP as packing material :-).  I had forgotten
>about doing that until just now!  Also, if there is anyone wanting to
>do a trade for Jelly Belly jelly beans, I would like to have some
>Hardanger fabric in a light green :-)!  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

>PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
>Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
>their whiskers!
>Visit my Photo albums at  http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Sally Swindell » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:54:25


Quote:


>> OOOh Jess, she told us and now we all want some!
>> Mary, sounds like a wonderful visit, except it was too short. Many of
>> us have gone native: we keep spare change for toilets, bring our own
>> TP when driving the highways, and drink things that don't need ice.
>> Which is most things by now :-)
>> Roberta in D

>   You've noticed that the whole ice, public WC and toilet paper thing
> has NOT made me decline a trip to anywhere outside the USA :-).  Once I
> was there, I remembered Brigitte (my quilting friend -- some of you
> might know her -- in Lennestadt, Germany) telling me to bring a roll of
> TP next time I came to visit Europe.  After the first day, I remembered
> to always order tea and if I wanted a "cold" drink I would buy a bottle
> of water or Diet Coke.  When Jess and I went to the loo in the dept.
> store after lunch, she & Alexander were waiting by the exit and she held
> up a coin for me to give the attendant but I already had my coin ready
> :-).  I'm not sure if I left an appropriate amount but nobody sent the
> WC police after me -- LOL!
>    I need to remember that when I send boxes of stuff to anyone in
> Europe to use rolls of TP as packing material :-).  I had forgotten
> about doing that until just now!  Also, if there is anyone wanting to do
> a trade for Jelly Belly jelly beans, I would like to have some Hardanger
> fabric in a light green :-)!  CiaoMeow >^;;^<

> PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<   (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
> Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
> their whiskers!
> Visit my Photo albums at  http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Our TP is very soft! and we don't pay for public toilets or ones in
stores! Also, unlike France, men go to the mens' and women to the
womens' - thats one thing I found difficult about our French holiday
last year - I am not communal! Also the doors in our public toilets go
all the way down to the ground, so no feet on view!

But the ones where I really broke the speed record :o were in the Malibu
Park where the whale viewing platform is - no sign of any doors ever
having been installed! DH was posted outside with instructions that
anyone else would have to wait!!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Jessam » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:35:41


I won't go into Arabic public loo's, I won't! except to say that they make
French ones seem pristine enough to eat off the floor...

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessamy_thompson/my_photos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our TP is very soft! and we don't pay for public toilets or ones in
stores! Also, unlike France, men go to the mens' and women to the
womens' - thats one thing I found difficult about our French holiday
last year - I am not communal! Also the doors in our public toilets go
all the way down to the ground, so no feet on view!

But the ones where I really broke the speed record :o were in the Malibu
Park where the whale viewing platform is - no sign of any doors ever
having been installed! DH was posted outside with instructions that
anyone else would have to wait!!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

 
 
 

I'm Home & Ready to Talk Dutch Fabrics :-)

Post by Suzie » Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:33:59


Quote:

> Our TP is very soft! and we don't pay for public toilets or ones in
> stores! Also, unlike France, men go to the mens' and women to the
> womens' - thats one thing I found difficult about our French holiday
> last year - I am not communal! Also the doors in our public toilets go
> all the way down to the ground, so no feet on view!

> But the ones where I really broke the speed record :o were in the Malibu
> Park where the whale viewing platform is - no sign of any doors ever
> having been installed! DH was posted outside with instructions that
> anyone else would have to wait!!

I met the same thing in the loos at The Owl Bar cafe, San Antonio New
Mexico - 2 cubicles in the ladies at 90 degrees to the main door but no
doors to the cubicles themselves - and DH was nowhere in earshot when I
discovered this! I had to sing rather loudly and warn the next lady when
she came in as to which cubicle I was in - and she was as freaked as I was!

Don't get me wrong - after all I have no problem baring all on a
naturist beach - but there are some things that were just not meant for
public viewing!

As for TP, the Polish stuff is *very* interesting... grey, hard, lumpy
bits in it and usually doled out by an attendant sheet by sheet before
you go into the toilets - and men actually have to ask for sheets if
they feel they need it. I learned VERY quickly to have a large supply of
  pocket hankie packs in my handbag... When Paul was in hospital in
southend Poland I had to buy TP to take in for him 'cos there wasn't any
in the loos on the ward either!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the (undamaged end of the) pier!"
Southend, UK
--
Please remove NOSPAM when emailing me!
http://community.webshots.com/user/suziekga