Q re spray basting

Q re spray basting

Post by Trixi » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:56:38



Does the odor bother you? Or do you do the usual and open the windows?

Trixie


Quote:
> I've used it. It seems to work the same for me as the 505.  The can is so
> much smaller that I can't wrap my pea brain around the fact that it might
> last as long as the bigger cans.

> Cindy



>> Has anybody tried the Sulky KK2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive? It is
>> supposed to "temporarily bonds fabrics to appliqu s, batting,
>> stabilizers, and even to patterns and templates." and has these specs:

>>    * You can reposition the fabric before stitching it in place; it works
>> great with landscape quilting projects
>>    * Bonding disappears in 2-5 days
>>    * The handy size can gives you as much coverage as the bigger
>> cans-made of a highly concentrated material combined with a low pressure
>> spray for a more precise spray pattern and less waste.
>>    * Nontoxic, odorless, ozone-friendly, nonflammable, will not stain

>> I've seen this advertised in a bunch of quilting-related magazines and
>> catalogs and wondered if it truly was odorless, etc., as I am so
>> sensitive to any type of scent or fragrance. It would be nice to have a
>> better alternative.

>> Trixie



>>> I went to a couple of fabric stores today and, yes, I got a little
>>> carried away with buying cloth.  I also saw some of the spray "basting"
>>> material, for which the stores want $10 to11 dollars for a spray can
>>> about nine inches tall -- you know what I mean, about the size of a can
>>> of spray paint.

>>> I thought that was a bit rich, but then I wondered how many double-bed
>>> sized quilts you could baste such with such a can.  Any thoughts?

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Edna Pearl

 
 
 

Q re spray basting

Post by teleflor » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:17:28



Quote:
>I was always taught anything that is a spray can, such as this glue or
>spray paint to tip it upside down when your down and spray for just a
>couple of seconds. Never had a problem since I do that. But if it does clog
>I would try dipping a paper towel in some paint thinner and just rub the
>nozzle a little to get the goop off. Hope this helps.
> Joanna

I always forget about the spraying upside down thing.  I've tried to clean
out the hole with a pin and even soaked the plastic nozzle in fingernail
polish remover, and that doesn't seem to help.  I really just need to do the
spray upside down thing.  I don't understand why it never happens with the
505 spray.  I also had a can of the June Taylor stuff from Walmart run out
of compressed air half way through.

Cindy

Quote:

>> Joanna, I've used the Elmer's on paper (I spray the paper and stick it to
>> the back of the fabric if I have to trace an embroidery pattern or an
>> appliqu layout on my fabric) and I have always had to throw the can away
>> before half of it is used up because the nozzle clogs! <whew!>

>> That has never happened to me with 505, but it has happened with anything
>> cheaper that I try to buy.

>> What are your experiences with the nozzle?

>> Cindy


 
 
 

Q re spray basting

Post by teleflor » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:19:50


Nope, I lay an old sheet on my bed and spray away. I know it's not good for
me, I already have COPD.  I try to hold my breath, but can't do that for
very long. I don't notice an odor so much as I just know that stuff is going
everywhere.

I only do very small quilts, so that's how I justify it.

:-)

Cindy


Quote:
> Does the odor bother you? Or do you do the usual and open the windows?

> Trixie



>> I've used it. It seems to work the same for me as the 505.  The can is so
>> much smaller that I can't wrap my pea brain around the fact that it might
>> last as long as the bigger cans.

>> Cindy



>>> Has anybody tried the Sulky KK2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive? It is
>>> supposed to "temporarily bonds fabrics to appliqu s, batting,
>>> stabilizers, and even to patterns and templates." and has these specs:

>>>    * You can reposition the fabric before stitching it in place; it
>>> works great with landscape quilting projects
>>>    * Bonding disappears in 2-5 days
>>>    * The handy size can gives you as much coverage as the bigger
>>> cans-made of a highly concentrated material combined with a low pressure
>>> spray for a more precise spray pattern and less waste.
>>>    * Nontoxic, odorless, ozone-friendly, nonflammable, will not stain

>>> I've seen this advertised in a bunch of quilting-related magazines and
>>> catalogs and wondered if it truly was odorless, etc., as I am so
>>> sensitive to any type of scent or fragrance. It would be nice to have a
>>> better alternative.

>>> Trixie



>>>> I went to a couple of fabric stores today and, yes, I got a little
>>>> carried away with buying cloth.  I also saw some of the spray "basting"
>>>> material, for which the stores want $10 to11 dollars for a spray can
>>>> about nine inches tall -- you know what I mean, about the size of a can
>>>> of spray paint.

>>>> I thought that was a bit rich, but then I wondered how many double-bed
>>>> sized quilts you could baste such with such a can.  Any thoughts?

>>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>> Edna Pearl

 
 
 

Q re spray basting

Post by Polly Esthe » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:39:01


And just what, young lady, are you using that compressed air for?  Please
tell me you're not giving a blast to the insides of your SM and forcing
gopher guts deep down inside.  Don't make me come down there.  Polly

Cindy wrote, in part:  I don't understand why it never happens with the
505 spray.  I also had a can of the June Taylor stuff from Walmart run out
of compressed air half way through.

 
 
 

Q re spray basting

Post by Trixi » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:00:47


Good point about the stuff going everywhere. Even if you can't smell it,
that doesn't mean it isn't doing something you'd rather it not do.

Trixie


Quote:
> Nope, I lay an old sheet on my bed and spray away. I know it's not good
> for me, I already have COPD.  I try to hold my breath, but can't do that
> for very long. I don't notice an odor so much as I just know that stuff is
> going everywhere.

> I only do very small quilts, so that's how I justify it.

> :-)

> Cindy



>> Does the odor bother you? Or do you do the usual and open the windows?

>> Trixie

 
 
 

Q re spray basting

Post by teleflor » Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:40:51



Quote:
> And just what, young lady, are you using that compressed air for?  Please
> tell me you're not giving a blast to the insides of your SM and forcing
> gopher guts deep down inside.  Don't make me come down there.  Polly

Gak!  Up here, you mean up here, Polly.  And don't come!  I mis-spoke. I'm
not spraying any air anywhere.  I meant the air in the can of spray
adhesive. If I spray 505 into my machine, I'll send myself down there for
you to smack.

Cindy