Templates .....

Templates .....

Post by Sunn » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 03:03:54



I'm trying hard to make my peace with templates, but I have problems
making pieces with templates. No pun intended. Really. I hate using
templates. The tiniest bobble when copying the lines ends up magnified
all over the quilt, in every block.

 I've made good copies of the templates on "template sheets" but every
time I go around with my ***y tiny little rotary cutter I nick some
of the template and that's not good. But if I draw around it and cut
with scissors, mistakes and bobbles are inevitable. And I've tried
cutting from that clear stuff that the ones you buy are made from, but
can't do it for the life of me.

So, any suggestions on how to work with templates while keeping my
sanity? I really love this block and want to incorporate it into a
quilt. It's got curves (which I'm fine with) so strip piecing is out.
I've got to deal with templates.

I await your collective wisdom. Please.......
Sunny

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by John » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 03:21:17



Quote:
> I'm trying hard to make my peace with templates, but I have problems
> making pieces with templates. No pun intended. Really. I hate using
> templates. The tiniest bobble when copying the lines ends up magnified
> all over the quilt, in every block.

> ?I've made good copies of the templates on "template sheets" but every
> time I go around with my ***y tiny little rotary cutter I nick some
> of the template and that's not good. But if I draw around it and cut
> with scissors, mistakes and bobbles are inevitable. And I've tried
> cutting from that clear stuff that the ones you buy are made from, but
> can't do it for the life of me.

> So, any suggestions on how to work with templates while keeping my
> sanity? I really love this block and want to incorporate it into a
> quilt. It's got curves (which I'm fine with) so strip piecing is out.
> I've got to deal with templates.

> I await your collective wisdom. Please.......
> Sunny

I quit trying to use those "template sheets" of thin plastic film that
Joanne's sells. What I have done is gone to a manufacturer of plastic
sheet stock that is used in that industry, and bought some of their
cut off pieces of plastic that is about 1/16" to 1/8" inch thick. I
make my templates out of that stuff. That way the rotary cutter has
something substantial to run against when you place it next to the
template to use it for a guide. I have found that the rotary cutter
can not distinguish between the thin plastic film stock that Joanne's
and others sell. Check your phone book and see if there is any
plastics industry in your area, and call them and explain that you
would like to buy some of their cut offs for use as template stock. I
bet they will be glad to sell you some for cash and not have to send
it to a landfill.

John

John

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by onetexsu » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 03:48:24


It sounds like a winner, John, but  no plastics industries make their
homes here. Any ideas about suppliers online?

Sunny

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by Mary » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 04:22:47


I absolutely hate traditional templates, and avoid them whenever
possible.  Since I do piecing by hand, I want the stitching line
marked rather than the cutting line, so I make "stencils" with the
plastic sheeting stuff they sell at TSWLTH.  For example, if I need 2"
squares, I mark them on the plastic, spaced 1/2" apart, and cover the
entire sheet with 2" squares, and very carefully cut them out so the
plastic sheet is covered with holes.  Then I literally lay the sheet
on the back side of the fabric, take a pencil and quickly draw around
the inside edges of all those little squares, and repeat for as many
2" squares I need for that fabric.  Then I use my plastic ruler and
rotary cutter and eyeball cutting them apart.  Since the stitching
lines are marked the cutting doesn't have to be absolutely precise.
It is much easier and quicker to draw around the inside of a stencil
than around the outside of a template.  I have used this system for
quite a few quilts, save the plastic stencils, and seldom need to make
a new one.
 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by joan890 » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 04:55:10


Avoid templates if at all possible?

If that's not possible, with some shapes you can affix the template
underneath an acrylic ruler, aligning the at least one edge.  Use
scotch tape.  Sometimes you can align two sides, depending on the
shape.  That way, you can use the template as your guide, but the
acrylic ruler keeps the rotary cutter from shaving off some of the
shape each time you use it.

Otherwise, draw around the template with a marking tool of some sort
and do the actual cutting with an acrylic ruler and rotary cutter.
Or, if it's curvy, scissors.

Template plastic was never meant to be used with a rotary cutter.  AS
you know, not good for the template and dangerous for your fingers, as
well.  :<

joan

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by Patt » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 04:57:57


I can't cut that template plastic, either, Sunny!

I either use freezer paper as a template stuck onto the fabric and sew
along the edge of the FP.  (I love this method - but with a curve it
might not be so efficient).

or

I will draw the block onto FP, very carefully, at the correct size.
Then I will press four or so sheets of FP together, with the pattern on
the top.
This little pack can be cut much more easily - and, therefore,
accurately. Where you are using curves you need to see the stitching
line anyway, because you will be matching curve to curve.  If you put
registration marks on the paper, along the length of your curves, every
so often, and transfer these to the fabric, you will find joining curves
an absolute breeze.

If you draw carefully round these paper templates, you can use your
rotary cutter to cut the fabric alone, leaving the seam allowance on the
outside of your drawn lines.

Hope something there helps.
.
In message


Quote:
>I'm trying hard to make my peace with templates, but I have problems
>making pieces with templates. No pun intended. Really. I hate using
>templates. The tiniest bobble when copying the lines ends up magnified
>all over the quilt, in every block.

> I've made good copies of the templates on "template sheets" but every
>time I go around with my ***y tiny little rotary cutter I nick some
>of the template and that's not good. But if I draw around it and cut
>with scissors, mistakes and bobbles are inevitable. And I've tried
>cutting from that clear stuff that the ones you buy are made from, but
>can't do it for the life of me.

>So, any suggestions on how to work with templates while keeping my
>sanity? I really love this block and want to incorporate it into a
>quilt. It's got curves (which I'm fine with) so strip piecing is out.
>I've got to deal with templates.

>I await your collective wisdom. Please.......
>Sunny

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by Paulin » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 05:17:59


I "assumed" that Tap Plastics was nationwide, but, apparently not.  Here is
a link to plastic sheets from Tap Plastics - hopefully they have exactly
what you need.
http://www.FoundCollection.com/

(And I do agree about using the stencil sheets from TSWLTH - I can't use
them either - but I wonder if you could cut 3 - 5 the same size & glue them
together??)  Personally, when I just have a couple of pieces to cut, I draw
it with pencil on my fabric & cut on the pencil lines.  That has worked well
for me.

Pauline
Northern California



Quote:
> I'm trying hard to make my peace with templates, but I have problems
> making pieces with templates. No pun intended. Really. I hate using
> templates. The tiniest bobble when copying the lines ends up magnified
> all over the quilt, in every block.

> I've made good copies of the templates on "template sheets" but every
> time I go around with my ***y tiny little rotary cutter I nick some
> of the template and that's not good. But if I draw around it and cut
> with scissors, mistakes and bobbles are inevitable. And I've tried
> cutting from that clear stuff that the ones you buy are made from, but
> can't do it for the life of me.

> So, any suggestions on how to work with templates while keeping my
> sanity? I really love this block and want to incorporate it into a
> quilt. It's got curves (which I'm fine with) so strip piecing is out.
> I've got to deal with templates.

> I await your collective wisdom. Please.......
> Sunny

I quit trying to use those "template sheets" of thin plastic film that
Joanne's sells. What I have done is gone to a manufacturer of plastic
sheet stock that is used in that industry, and bought some of their
cut off pieces of plastic that is about 1/16" to 1/8" inch thick. I
make my templates out of that stuff. That way the rotary cutter has
something substantial to run against when you place it next to the
template to use it for a guide. I have found that the rotary cutter
can not distinguish between the thin plastic film stock that Joanne's
and others sell. Check your phone book and see if there is any
plastics industry in your area, and call them and explain that you
would like to buy some of their cut offs for use as template stock. I
bet they will be glad to sell you some for cash and not have to send
it to a landfill.

John

John

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by J* » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 05:36:33


no idea what block?? is giving you trouble but
maybe a saucer, plate, lid off something in the kitchen
would give you the right curve and be big enough
to let that wee rotary cutter do its thang (sic).
j.

Quote:
"Sunny" wrote...

I'm trying hard to make my peace with templates, but I have problems
making pieces with templates. No pun intended. Really. I hate using
templates. The tiniest bobble when copying the lines ends up magnified
all over the quilt, in every block.

 I've made good copies of the templates on "template sheets" but every
time I go around with my ***y tiny little rotary cutter I nick some
of the template and that's not good. But if I draw around it and cut
with scissors, mistakes and bobbles are inevitable. And I've tried
cutting from that clear stuff that the ones you buy are made from, but
can't do it for the life of me.

So, any suggestions on how to work with templates while keeping my
sanity? I really love this block and want to incorporate it into a
quilt. It's got curves (which I'm fine with) so strip piecing is out.
I've got to deal with templates.

I await your collective wisdom. Please.......
Sunny

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by Joann » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 06:18:25


I use linoleum. You know the stuff people put on the floors. Well it
comes in different thickness too. But you can also usually get this for
free. Last time I went to "End of the Roll" asked if I could look
through the garbage and got a decent size little roll that had been cut.
But it is enough I'll be good for templates for about ten years. Rotary
cutter will cut through it but not without a lot of effort. You know
when you have hit the edge of it. The good thing I think is that it
doesn't wreck your blade if you do hit the edge. If you get a piece that
is curled slightly you can flatten it with the iron on hot and a towel
in between. It doesn't take much heat to do this. If it has been folded
and actually creased though throw it out, not worth the effort. I know I
know I'm a garbage picker but you know how much money I've saved on
templates. More money for fabric...hahaha
Joanna
Quote:

> I'm trying hard to make my peace with templates, but I have problems
> making pieces with templates. No pun intended. Really. I hate using
> templates. The tiniest bobble when copying the lines ends up magnified
> all over the quilt, in every block.

>  I've made good copies of the templates on "template sheets" but every
> time I go around with my ***y tiny little rotary cutter I nick some
> of the template and that's not good. But if I draw around it and cut
> with scissors, mistakes and bobbles are inevitable. And I've tried
> cutting from that clear stuff that the ones you buy are made from, but
> can't do it for the life of me.

> So, any suggestions on how to work with templates while keeping my
> sanity? I really love this block and want to incorporate it into a
> quilt. It's got curves (which I'm fine with) so strip piecing is out.
> I've got to deal with templates.

> I await your collective wisdom. Please.......
> Sunny

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by Joann » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 06:23:05


I have tried this glue several layers together then cut out your
template. If you try to cut them all seperate and glue them together it
will never be perfect. But I still would not recommend this it still
sucks. The only other suggestion someone gave is find someone that sells
plexiglass. It that hard plastic that can be as clear as glass. But then
you need someone that has a die cutter or laser cutter to cut it as it
has to be exact or you'll end up with the same problem.
Take Care
Joanna
Quote:

> I "assumed" that Tap Plastics was nationwide, but, apparently not.  Here
> is a link to plastic sheets from Tap Plastics - hopefully they have
> exactly what you need.
> http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/category.php?bid=24&PHPSESSID=2009080...

> (And I do agree about using the stencil sheets from TSWLTH - I can't use
> them either - but I wonder if you could cut 3 - 5 the same size & glue
> them together??)  Personally, when I just have a couple of pieces to
> cut, I draw it with pencil on my fabric & cut on the pencil lines.  That
> has worked well for me.

> Pauline
> Northern California

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by joan890 » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 07:03:11


And if it's something that you're going to use over and over, you can
get acrylic templates made from your sample at most glass replacement
companies.
joan
 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by Paulin » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 07:35:15


I just remembered another place where you can buy sheets of plastic - Home
Depot & Lowes.  You probably have one or both of those stores in your area.

Pauline
Northern California


Quote:
>I have tried this glue several layers together then cut out your template.
>If you try to cut them all seperate and glue them together it will never be
>perfect. But I still would not recommend this it still sucks. The only
>other suggestion someone gave is find someone that sells plexiglass. It
>that hard plastic that can be as clear as glass. But then you need someone
>that has a die cutter or laser cutter to cut it as it has to be exact or
>you'll end up with the same problem.
> Take Care
> Joanna


>> I "assumed" that Tap Plastics was nationwide, but, apparently not.  Here
>> is a link to plastic sheets from Tap Plastics - hopefully they have
>> exactly what you need.
>> http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/category.php?bid=24&PHPSESSID=2009080...
>> (And I do agree about using the stencil sheets from TSWLTH - I can't use
>> them either - but I wonder if you could cut 3 - 5 the same size & glue
>> them together??)  Personally, when I just have a couple of pieces to cut,
>> I draw it with pencil on my fabric & cut on the pencil lines.  That has
>> worked well for me.

>> Pauline
>> Northern California

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by onetexsu » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 08:37:08


The block I'm wanting to make is the cover quilt on the July/August
issue of Quiltmaker. Here's a link: http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=6529
The curves are very easy to sew. The problem is cutting out 15,000 of
each piece from the template provided in the magazine (ok, maybe not
exactly 15,000 but it feels like that). No way can you use a straight
edge. Someone in my house who I love dearly saw the photo and fell in
love with the quilt. I want to make one just nap sized. But I have to
find a better way to cut out those pieces. Oh, and I bought a piece of
acrylic stuff, but couldn't cut it where it broke in a curve. Very
frustrating.

Sunny

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by John » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 10:46:57



Quote:
> The block I'm wanting to make is the cover quilt on the July/August
> issue of Quiltmaker. Here's a link:http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=6529
> The curves are very easy to sew. The problem is cutting out 15,000 of
> each piece from the template provided in the magazine (ok, maybe not
> exactly 15,000 but it feels like that). No way can you use a straight
> edge. Someone in my house who I love dearly saw the photo and fell in
> love with the quilt. I want to make one just nap sized. But I have to
> find a better way to cut out those pieces. Oh, and I bought a piece of
> acrylic stuff, but couldn't cut it where it broke in a curve. Very
> frustrating.

> Sunny

You should use a fine tooth blade on a sabre saw, or as they are
sometimes called a jig saw. That should help you make the curving cut.
Then finish the edge off with a file or rasp and sand paper.

John

 
 
 

Templates .....

Post by J* » Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:04:37


might a scroll saw give a finer cut?
http://www.woodworkingscrollsaw.com/
there are more results if you google about them.

i'm sure i'd have more trouble sewing those curves than cutting a template.
well done, Sunny for giving this a go.
it is a beautiful quilt design.
j.

Quote:
"John" wrote...

You should use a fine tooth blade on a sabre saw, or as they are
sometimes called a jig saw. That should help you make the curving cut.
Then finish the edge off with a file or rasp and sand paper.
John
Quote:

> The block I'm wanting to make is the cover quilt on the July/August
> issue of Quiltmaker. Here's a
> link:http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=6529
> The curves are very easy to sew. The problem is cutting out 15,000 of
> each piece from the template provided in the magazine (ok, maybe not
> exactly 15,000 but it feels like that). No way can you use a straight
> edge. Someone in my house who I love dearly saw the photo and fell in
> love with the quilt. I want to make one just nap sized. But I have to
> find a better way to cut out those pieces. Oh, and I bought a piece of
> acrylic stuff, but couldn't cut it where it broke in a curve. Very
> frustrating.

> Sunny