Mystery Quilt

Mystery Quilt

Post by Laurie G » Thu, 22 May 2003 23:53:21



Question for all you lovely people:

Has anyone here taken Linda Ballard's Mystery Quilt class? And, if so,
do you have a picture of it posted anywhere?

I am taking this class from her in August, have purchased my two fabrics
and would like to make sure the fabrics I have chosen will really work
for the quilt.

TIA -

Laurie G.

 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by Mtsn » Fri, 23 May 2003 00:05:53


Laurie,

Ummmm, showing you a picture of the finished quilt kinda takes the "mystery"
out of doing a mystery quilt.

The staff at the shop where you're taking the class should be able to tell you
if you're on the right track.

Or, you can post the fabric descriptions from your instructions (something like
large focus print with 2 light value fabrics and 1 dark contrasting fabric) and
pics of your fabrics, and I'm sure the mystery quilt veterans among us can tell
you if it will work.

Heck, what's the point of doing one if you already know what it's going to be?
Might as well just buy a pattern and make that quilt with fabrics you like.

I always think of mystery quilts as a challenge and a way to hone my
understanding of how fabrics, colors, textures and values work together.

JMNSHO.

-Michele in NYC

Quote:
>Subject: Mystery Quilt

>Date: 5/21/2003 10:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>Question for all you lovely people:

>Has anyone here taken Linda Ballard's Mystery Quilt class? And, if so,
>do you have a picture of it posted anywhere?

>I am taking this class from her in August, have purchased my two fabrics
>and would like to make sure the fabrics I have chosen will really work
>for the quilt.

>TIA -

>Laurie G.


 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by Laurie G » Fri, 23 May 2003 01:13:12


I know, I know. I guess I will just have to trust the instructions and
go with what I have. I do really, really like the fabrics I have chosen.
   I think I will ask the ladies at the shop for advise, tho. Good idea.

Thanks for not spoiling the "mystery" for me. *grin*

Laurie

Quote:

> Laurie,

> Ummmm, showing you a picture of the finished quilt kinda takes the "mystery"
> out of doing a mystery quilt.

> The staff at the shop where you're taking the class should be able to tell you
> if you're on the right track.

> Or, you can post the fabric descriptions from your instructions (something like
> large focus print with 2 light value fabrics and 1 dark contrasting fabric) and
> pics of your fabrics, and I'm sure the mystery quilt veterans among us can tell
> you if it will work.

> Heck, what's the point of doing one if you already know what it's going to be?
> Might as well just buy a pattern and make that quilt with fabrics you like.

> I always think of mystery quilts as a challenge and a way to hone my
> understanding of how fabrics, colors, textures and values work together.

> JMNSHO.

> -Michele in NYC

>>Subject: Mystery Quilt

>>Date: 5/21/2003 10:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time

>>Question for all you lovely people:

>>Has anyone here taken Linda Ballard's Mystery Quilt class? And, if so,
>>do you have a picture of it posted anywhere?

>>I am taking this class from her in August, have purchased my two fabrics
>>and would like to make sure the fabrics I have chosen will really work
>>for the quilt.

>>TIA -

>>Laurie G.

 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by Dr. Quilte » Wed, 28 May 2003 02:03:44


never done a mistery quilt. not sure I'd like not being in control. do
other people enjoy these kind of projects?

Quote:

> I know, I know. I guess I will just have to trust the instructions and
> go with what I have. I do really, really like the fabrics I have chosen.
>   I think I will ask the ladies at the shop for advise, tho. Good idea.

> Thanks for not spoiling the "mystery" for me. *grin*

> Laurie


>> Laurie,

>> Ummmm, showing you a picture of the finished quilt kinda takes the
>> "mystery"
>> out of doing a mystery quilt.

>> The staff at the shop where you're taking the class should be able to
>> tell you
>> if you're on the right track.
>> Or, you can post the fabric descriptions from your instructions
>> (something like
>> large focus print with 2 light value fabrics and 1 dark contrasting
>> fabric) and
>> pics of your fabrics, and I'm sure the mystery quilt veterans among us
>> can tell
>> you if it will work.

>> Heck, what's the point of doing one if you already know what it's
>> going to be?
>> Might as well just buy a pattern and make that quilt with fabrics you
>> like.

>> I always think of mystery quilts as a challenge and a way to hone my
>> understanding of how fabrics, colors, textures and values work together.

>> JMNSHO.

>> -Michele in NYC

>>> Subject: Mystery Quilt

>>> Eastern Daylight Time

>>> Question for all you lovely people:

>>> Has anyone here taken Linda Ballard's Mystery Quilt class? And, if
>>> so, do you have a picture of it posted anywhere?

>>> I am taking this class from her in August, have purchased my two
>>> fabrics and would like to make sure the fabrics I have chosen will
>>> really work for the quilt.

>>> TIA -

>>> Laurie G.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by MB » Wed, 28 May 2003 03:30:02


I have only done one mystery quilt.  I joined an all-day  class at a quilt
festival...brought fabrics
that went well together but I'd had on hand-- because if it were going to
end up being some
pattern I didn't like at least I'd like the colors!.   Well, it was a hot
July day--upstairs in a
high school ...and as the day progressed it got hotter!.. The irons were
finally put in another
room away from us which was so much better---they sure gave off a lot of
heat !

The teachers said we'd get the top done  ( lap size ) , but I know I was
sewing as fast as I could and everyone else seemed to, also.  Towards the
end of the day they said...Go ahead
with the directions and try making one block instead working on all the
blocks at the same time !...I think that there were about 5 of us that did
get that one block done...LOL!

I'd never take another another mystery quilt class --only because I really
want to know what
I'm going to end up with  .     I know a lot of people love them.  The fun
part was meeting two chatters I'd met online and taking that class with one
of them.       Mary

 > never done a mistery quilt. not sure I'd like not being in control. do

Quote:
> other people enjoy these kind of projects?

 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by Pati Coo » Tue, 27 May 2003 20:32:09


I've done one mystery quilt and would love to do another one.   We got basic
supply list and beginning cutting instructions before class.  got a lot of it
done in one day, but I think I would prefer to have two sessions, with time
inbetween to finish up  enough to get done in the second session.
They can be fun and a way to relax and "go with the flow".

Pati, in Phx

Quote:

> I have only done one mystery quilt.  I joined an all-day  class at a quilt
> festival...brought fabrics
> that went well together but I'd had on hand-- because if it were going to
> end up being some
> pattern I didn't like at least I'd like the colors!.   Well, it was a hot
> July day--upstairs in a
> high school ...and as the day progressed it got hotter!.. The irons were
> finally put in another
> room away from us which was so much better---they sure gave off a lot of
> heat !

> The teachers said we'd get the top done  ( lap size ) , but I know I was
> sewing as fast as I could and everyone else seemed to, also.  Towards the
> end of the day they said...Go ahead
> with the directions and try making one block instead working on all the
> blocks at the same time !...I think that there were about 5 of us that did
> get that one block done...LOL!

> I'd never take another another mystery quilt class --only because I really
> want to know what
> I'm going to end up with  .     I know a lot of people love them.  The fun
> part was meeting two chatters I'd met online and taking that class with one
> of them.       Mary

>  > never done a mistery quilt. not sure I'd like not being in control. do
> > other people enjoy these kind of projects?

 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by julia sidebotto » Wed, 28 May 2003 07:31:38


I love doing mystery quilts.  I usually get an idea of what I am
expecting just by the theme of the project.  I designed a 'holiday'
mystery quilts as well as a spring time mystery quilt.  They are both
still on my web site.  There is another source for good mystery quilts
and I have done several of them  check out this link for a number of
previous mystery quilts and there is always something new coming along
http://planetpatchwork.com/mystery.htm  
juliasb

Quote:

> never done a mistery quilt. not sure I'd like not being in control. do
> other people enjoy these kind of projects?


> > I know, I know. I guess I will just have to trust the instructions and
> > go with what I have. I do really, really like the fabrics I have chosen.
> >   I think I will ask the ladies at the shop for advise, tho. Good idea.

> > Thanks for not spoiling the "mystery" for me. *grin*

> > Laurie


> >> Laurie,

> >> Ummmm, showing you a picture of the finished quilt kinda takes the
> >> "mystery"
> >> out of doing a mystery quilt.

> >> The staff at the shop where you're taking the class should be able to
> >> tell you
> >> if you're on the right track.
> >> Or, you can post the fabric descriptions from your instructions
> >> (something like
> >> large focus print with 2 light value fabrics and 1 dark contrasting
> >> fabric) and
> >> pics of your fabrics, and I'm sure the mystery quilt veterans among us
> >> can tell
> >> you if it will work.

> >> Heck, what's the point of doing one if you already know what it's
> >> going to be?
> >> Might as well just buy a pattern and make that quilt with fabrics you
> >> like.

> >> I always think of mystery quilts as a challenge and a way to hone my
> >> understanding of how fabrics, colors, textures and values work together.

> >> JMNSHO.

> >> -Michele in NYC

> >>> Subject: Mystery Quilt

> >>> Eastern Daylight Time

> >>> Question for all you lovely people:

> >>> Has anyone here taken Linda Ballard's Mystery Quilt class? And, if
> >>> so, do you have a picture of it posted anywhere?

> >>> I am taking this class from her in August, have purchased my two
> >>> fabrics and would like to make sure the fabrics I have chosen will
> >>> really work for the quilt.

> >>> TIA -

> >>> Laurie G.

> --
> Dr. Quilter
> Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

--
come and journey with me from  darkness....
... into New Life        http://www.nwlife.com
 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by Roberta Zollne » Wed, 28 May 2003 21:27:44


I like a nice mystery from time to time. Makes a nice little back burner
project that requires no convoluted math. It's fun to see how different mine
looks from the photo at the end. Also fun to guess what sort of block it
will be.
Roberta in D


Quote:
> never done a mistery quilt. not sure I'd like not being in control. do
> other people enjoy these kind of projects?


> > I know, I know. I guess I will just have to trust the instructions and
> > go with what I have. I do really, really like the fabrics I have chosen.
> >   I think I will ask the ladies at the shop for advise, tho. Good idea.

> > Thanks for not spoiling the "mystery" for me. *grin*

> > Laurie


> >> Laurie,

> >> Ummmm, showing you a picture of the finished quilt kinda takes the
> >> "mystery"
> >> out of doing a mystery quilt.

> >> The staff at the shop where you're taking the class should be able to
> >> tell you
> >> if you're on the right track.
> >> Or, you can post the fabric descriptions from your instructions
> >> (something like
> >> large focus print with 2 light value fabrics and 1 dark contrasting
> >> fabric) and
> >> pics of your fabrics, and I'm sure the mystery quilt veterans among us
> >> can tell
> >> you if it will work.

> >> Heck, what's the point of doing one if you already know what it's
> >> going to be?
> >> Might as well just buy a pattern and make that quilt with fabrics you
> >> like.

> >> I always think of mystery quilts as a challenge and a way to hone my
> >> understanding of how fabrics, colors, textures and values work
together.

> >> JMNSHO.

> >> -Michele in NYC

> >>> Subject: Mystery Quilt

> >>> Eastern Daylight Time

> >>> Question for all you lovely people:

> >>> Has anyone here taken Linda Ballard's Mystery Quilt class? And, if
> >>> so, do you have a picture of it posted anywhere?

> >>> I am taking this class from her in August, have purchased my two
> >>> fabrics and would like to make sure the fabrics I have chosen will
> >>> really work for the quilt.

> >>> TIA -

> >>> Laurie G.

> --
> Dr. Quilter
> Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by ME-Jud » Wed, 28 May 2003 23:55:13


Piggy-backing here --
I like the on-line mystery quilts (as opposed to a one-time class) ... But,
like "MB", I like to know what I'm going to end up with before I start...
so, I download/print out the directions every month and then put them aside
till all are shown. That way, I'll know what I'm aiming for and what colors
will look good.  No sense taking the time to make a quilt I'm not happy
with.
ME-Judy


Quote:
> I'd never take another another mystery quilt class --only because I really
> want to know what
> I'm going to end up with  .     I know a lot of people love them.
> <snip>
>  > never done a mistery quilt. not sure I'd like not being in control. do
> > other people enjoy these kind of projects?

 
 
 

Mystery Quilt

Post by Kath » Thu, 29 May 2003 09:01:01


I too like doing the onliline mystery quilts. I am working on 3 and only one
(American style) of them I know what it will look like when its done. The
other two give out blocks each month.

The Anilee mystery gives a BOM and displays the graphic block in different
colors so I only buy what I need for one block--so far only 2 colors per
block but every block I've made is a different color so I get to play at
putting fabics together. But you can take one block and make a whole quilt
from it or at the end of year tells you how to finish up all the block in
one quilt and you can make the block in 3 dif sizes--I am making the 18"
blocks--bigger is faster!

Th 3rd mystery quilt is the 1st one I bought fabric for and so the 1st to
try to put fabric together that dont go together in the clothing world.
Several months in a row we make a whole bunch of blocks and then every so
often we sew some of the the blocks together (downhome quilting.com. It;s
fun as I dont know what I'm getting.

--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kathys1068


Quote:
> Piggy-backing here --
> I like the on-line mystery quilts (as opposed to a one-time class) ...
But,
> like "MB", I like to know what I'm going to end up with before I start...
> so, I download/print out the directions every month and then put them
aside
> till all are shown. That way, I'll know what I'm aiming for and what
colors
> will look good.  No sense taking the time to make a quilt I'm not happy
> with.
> ME-Judy



> > I'd never take another another mystery quilt class --only because I
really
> > want to know what
> > I'm going to end up with  .     I know a lot of people love them.
> > <snip>
> >  > never done a mistery quilt. not sure I'd like not being in control.
do
> > > other people enjoy these kind of projects?