Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Linda » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:29:46



Hi everyone,

        I'm very new to beading and have had good success with loom
weaving and am now weaving a pen using square stitch...it's going well
too.  
        I have tried off-loom weaving using the method shown in Ann
Benson's book.  Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong because
the rows of beads don't snug up against each other like I would think
they should.  I find I get spaces between the rows in between where
I've looped into the previous row.  Should I be doing extra passes
through the rows of beads to snug them up?  Any other ideas?  Do I
just need a lot more practise?

take care,  Linda  :)    

Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Kayt » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:20:13


Quote:
>Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong because
>the rows of beads don't snug up against each other like I would think
>they should.  I find I get spaces between the rows in between where
>I've looped into the previous row.  Should I be doing extra passes
>through the rows of beads to snug them up?  Any other ideas?  Do I
>just need a lot more practise?

It may be your beads-- you may need to sort through them to make sure that all
the ones you're using are the same size. This is why many people like Delicas--
less "sorting" to do.
Some threads stretch, as well-- many people "pre-stretch" their Nymo/other
before using.
Kaytee

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Linda » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:05:42


Quote:
>>Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong because
>>the rows of beads don't snug up against each other like I would think
>>they should.  I find I get spaces between the rows in between where
>>I've looped into the previous row.  Should I be doing extra passes
>>through the rows of beads to snug them up?  Any other ideas?  Do I
>>just need a lot more practise?


Quote:
>It may be your beads-- you may need to sort through them to make sure that all
>the ones you're using are the same size. This is why many people like Delicas--
>less "sorting" to do.
>Some threads stretch, as well-- many people "pre-stretch" their Nymo/other
>before using.
>Kaytee

        Hmmm...I'm using seed beads at the moment because I don't have
local access to Delicas.  I'm trying the method that one threads the
first row of beads, skip the last bead on the row and go back through
all the beads, then thread all the beads of row 2 on, loop into row 1,
then go through 3 beads, loop inbetween the beads on row 1 and so on.
I seem to get it looking 'loopy looking' :(  Am I a klutz?  or am I
reading the instructions wrong?  
        Ah well...I've conquered Peyote and square stitch, as well as
loom weaving....3 out of 4 isn't too bad :)

take care,  Linda  :)
(who is finding everytime she goes to the craft store, she comes out
with the beads she went for and at least one other colour.....)

Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by B » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:00:51


Quote:

>        Hmmm...I'm using seed beads at the moment because I don't have
>local access to Delicas.  I'm trying the method that one threads the
>first row of beads, skip the last bead on the row and go back through
>all the beads, then thread all the beads of row 2 on, loop into row 1,
>then go through 3 beads, loop inbetween the beads on row 1 and so on.
>I seem to get it looking 'loopy looking' :(  Am I a klutz?  or am I
>reading the instructions wrong?  
>        Ah well...I've conquered Peyote and square stitch, as well as
>loom weaving....3 out of 4 isn't too bad :)

>take care,  Linda  :)
>(who is finding everytime she goes to the craft store, she comes out
>with the beads she went for and at least one other colour.....)

>Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

I think in this case the technique is more likely to be at fault.  I love Ann
Benson's ideas and information and techniques on bead embroidery but I tried
her beadweaving technique and also found it left something to be desired.  

BJ

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Linda » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:48:34




Quote:
>I think in this case the technique is more likely to be at fault.  I love Ann
>Benson's ideas and information and techniques on bead embroidery but I tried
>her beadweaving technique and also found it left something to be desired.  

>BJ

        Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  So it isn't just 'me' :)))
But, now the big question is....  If I wanted to stitch the designs in
Ann Benson's Beadweaving books, what stitch should I use?  I've tried
them on a loom and they work out just fine, but is there an 'off loom'
technique that would work?

take care, Linda  :)

Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by B » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:06:45


Quote:

>        Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  So it isn't just 'me' :)))
>But, now the big question is....  If I wanted to stitch the designs in
>Ann Benson's Beadweaving books, what stitch should I use?  I've tried
>them on a loom and they work out just fine, but is there an 'off loom'
>technique that would work?

>take care, Linda  :)

>Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

I think you could try square stitch, which her technique seems to be an
off-shoot of.  If they work for looming they should also work for square
stitch.

BJ

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Margaret Bud » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 10:17:13


I hope this link comes out right:
http://beadwork.about.com/hobbies/beadwork/library/weekly/aa100598.ht...
=square+stitch

I think this method is easier. I had the same problem with the technique in
that book.
hth,
Margie


Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> I'm very new to beading and have had good success with loom
> weaving and am now weaving a pen using square stitch...it's going well
> too.
> I have tried off-loom weaving using the method shown in Ann
> Benson's book.  Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong because
> the rows of beads don't snug up against each other like I would think
> they should.  I find I get spaces between the rows in between where
> I've looped into the previous row.  Should I be doing extra passes
> through the rows of beads to snug them up?  Any other ideas?  Do I
> just need a lot more practise?

> take care,  Linda  :)

> Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Linda » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:24:50


On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:17:13 -0500, "Margaret Budd"

Quote:

>I hope this link comes out right:
>http://beadwork.about.com/hobbies/beadwork/library/weekly/aa100598.ht...
>=square+stitch

>I think this method is easier. I had the same problem with the technique in
>that book.
>hth,
>Margie

        Thank you for the site...I've printed the instructions off and
am sure it will work for what I need :)

        I LOVE newsgroups!!!!

take care,  Linda  :)
Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Linda » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:25:42


Quote:

>>        Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  So it isn't just 'me' :)))
>>But, now the big question is....  If I wanted to stitch the designs in
>>Ann Benson's Beadweaving books, what stitch should I use?  I've tried
>>them on a loom and they work out just fine, but is there an 'off loom'
>>technique that would work?

>>take care, Linda  :)



Quote:
>I think you could try square stitch, which her technique seems to be an
>off-shoot of.  If they work for looming they should also work for square
>stitch.

>BJ

        Thank you...I've printed the instructions off for square
stitch and will give it a try :)

take care,  Linda  :)

Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Karleen Pag » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 07:24:13


I agree with the others, Benson's designs are lovely, but her technique
isn't too hot. I'm going to try her designs, but with other techniques. I
think that bead embroiderly would work well with them.
Karleen

Quote:
> I hope this link comes out right:

http://beadwork.about.com/hobbies/beadwork/library/weekly/aa100598.ht...
Quote:
> =square+stitch

> I think this method is easier. I had the same problem with the technique
in
> that book.
> hth,
> Margie



> > Hi everyone,

> > I'm very new to beading and have had good success with loom
> > weaving and am now weaving a pen using square stitch...it's going well
> > too.
> > I have tried off-loom weaving using the method shown in Ann
> > Benson's book.  Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong because
> > the rows of beads don't snug up against each other like I would think
> > they should.  I find I get spaces between the rows in between where
> > I've looped into the previous row.  Should I be doing extra passes
> > through the rows of beads to snug them up?  Any other ideas?  Do I
> > just need a lot more practise?

> > take care,  Linda  :)

> > Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Lori Sou » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 01:30:41


Quote:
>I agree with the others, Benson's designs are lovely, but her technique
>isn't too hot.

Reluctantly, I have to agree.  Hers is one of the first beading books I bought
- but the one I keep going back to when I get stuck on something is Carol
Wilcox Wells.  But Ann Benson has a *wonderful* sense of design!  

Lori Sousa
Briarrose Designs
handcrafted jewelry, traditional care, contemporary flair

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by riddle » Thu, 03 May 2001 15:43:23


Hi Linda~

I'm just curious...have you tried tubular peyote for beading around
objects?  I'm only asking because this is what I have been working on
primarily for the last year and I never considered square stitch.  It seems
more complicated to me than peyote but only because I'm not familiar with
it...

There's lots of links on the web for tubular peyote patterns and
instructions.  Not that I want to distract you.  I'll put square stitch on
my list too (or is that the same as brick stitch?)

hmm
deb



Quote:
> Hi everyone,

>    I'm very new to beading and have had good success with loom
> weaving and am now weaving a pen using square stitch...it's going well
> too.  
>    I have tried off-loom weaving using the method shown in Ann
> Benson's book.  Unfortunately, I must be doing something wrong because
> the rows of beads don't snug up against each other like I would think
> they should.  I find I get spaces between the rows in between where
> I've looped into the previous row.  Should I be doing extra passes
> through the rows of beads to snug them up?  Any other ideas?  Do I
> just need a lot more practise?

> take care,  Linda  :)    

> Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)  

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Kayt » Thu, 03 May 2001 23:04:51


Quote:
>I'll put square stitch on
>my list too (or is that the same as brick stitch?)<

Not the same-- square st looks like loom beading, and can use those patterns.
Brick st (Commanche st) looks sort of like peyote (gourd/twill) st turned
sideways.

Kaytee

 
 
 

Beadweaving...what am I doing wrong?

Post by Linda » Fri, 04 May 2001 00:48:55



Quote:
>Hi Linda~

>I'm just curious...have you tried tubular peyote for beading around
>objects?  I'm only asking because this is what I have been working on
>primarily for the last year and I never considered square stitch.  It seems
>more complicated to me than peyote but only because I'm not familiar with
>it...

>There's lots of links on the web for tubular peyote patterns and
>instructions.  Not that I want to distract you.  I'll put square stitch on
>my list too (or is that the same as brick stitch?)

>hmm
>deb

Hi deb,

        I'm in the midst of starting an amulet bag using tubular
peyote.  My first two projects were pins done on a loom...very
successful.  My third project was a beaded pen done in 2 bead square
stitch...also very successful.  So now it's on to off-loom weaving
using tubular peyote.  
        My original post in this thread was asking what I might be
doing wrong when I attempted Ann Benson's method of off-loom weaving.
I just couldn't get it too look right and am very happy to find out
that I'm not the only one who has that problem.  Most of the
suggestions have been to use the same patterns, but use square stitch,
which I'm sure will work very well.

take care,  Linda  :)
Vancouver Island, bc.ca :) (remove 'nospam' to reply)