More input needed: Hang cards this time!

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Tink » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:06:03



Hey all!

You've been so great in helping me make critical decisions about all
aspects of my new venture (Black Swamp Glassworks) that I thought I'd
run something else by you.

I want to attempt to sell some of my stuff to local shops, and think
it would be nice if they had the option to hang stuff up. I also want
to present a professional image. With that in mind, I've come up with
a hang card of sorts. Would you take a look and give feedback?

Feedback on the photos themselves are also welcome. Still working that
out. LOL!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=953705&uid=604223

That link should get you there.

Thanks a million!

Tink
http://blackswampglassworks.com
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
"Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe

 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Beadbimb » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:18:25


I think the cards look sharp!

--
Jerri
www.bead***.com

Quote:
> Hey all!

> You've been so great in helping me make critical decisions about all
> aspects of my new venture (Black Swamp Glassworks) that I thought I'd
> run something else by you.

> I want to attempt to sell some of my stuff to local shops, and think
> it would be nice if they had the option to hang stuff up. I also want
> to present a professional image. With that in mind, I've come up with
> a hang card of sorts. Would you take a look and give feedback?

> Feedback on the photos themselves are also welcome. Still working that
> out. LOL!

> http://www.FoundCollection.com/

> That link should get you there.

> Thanks a million!

> Tink
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> "Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe


 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Louis Cag » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:42:52


Very nice.  I think you have something there.

I print mine on a card about twice as long as the front so I can fold them
in half and they stand up, or I hang them on a pair of folding doors that
look like shutters.  The downside to that is I have to put a pushpin in the
back to make them hang properly.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques


Quote:
> Hey all!

> You've been so great in helping me make critical decisions about all
> aspects of my new venture (Black Swamp Glassworks) that I thought I'd
> run something else by you.

> I want to attempt to sell some of my stuff to local shops, and think
> it would be nice if they had the option to hang stuff up. I also want
> to present a professional image. With that in mind, I've come up with
> a hang card of sorts. Would you take a look and give feedback?

> Feedback on the photos themselves are also welcome. Still working that
> out. LOL!

> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=953705&uid=604223

> That link should get you there.

> Thanks a million!

> Tink
> http://blackswampglassworks.com
> http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
> "Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe

 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Tink » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 06:03:22


Well now, that was a quandry for me. Maybe I need to have a few
different versions. I was even thinking about leaving off the URL.
Here's the logic: Shop owners may not want your contact info right on
the card because they *might* worry that people would contact you to
buy directly.

This may not be much of an issue if I sold my stuff to stores outside
the region, but for local shops.... Hmmm... Shop owners out there:
Thoughts on this?

I think I need another hang card for shows and art fairs when I'm
selling stuff myself. Maybe.

See??? This is why I need you guys!!!

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:34:22 GMT, Frannie

Quote:



>> That link should get you there.

>Tink, they look terrific!

>Will you be including a phone number, as well, for those
>who don't have internet access? (There still may be a few
>out there! :)

Tink
http://blackswampglassworks.com
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
"Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe
 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Tink » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 06:11:44


I'm still thinking through my own display options in preparation for
maybe doing some shows and art fairs next summer. Maybe.

My feeling about this card, as it's intended for items going to shops,
is that it needs to be space conscious: Space in a shop is at a
premium, I think. So I wanted it to take up as little room as
possible. Initially, I figure I'll just plunk an assortment of these
in a little basket that would sit on a shelf or counter. If the shop
owner decides to hang them for better visibility, the hole is already
in the card. And, hopefully, more on-center than the hole I punched in
that example. LOL!

As I think about it, a basket by the register may not be such a bad
idea. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

I've decided I want to get $10 a piece for these small cavity vessels.
No less. I kind of think that's a little low, but I would really like
to hear your thoughts on this, as well. That $10 would be my wholesale
price to a shop. No consignments.

I have one listed on my website for $10, as that's the least I can
take for them, time/labor/materials wise. Since that's my wholesale
price, should I be asking more (retail) when I sell them myself?

Sorry for the rambling. Just thinking out loud here. To hear me mumble
like this, it must sound like I've never done this before. I have, but
with much higher priced things (teddy bears) and back then I never,
EVER sold wholesale. Even when I sold to shops.



Quote:
>Very nice.  I think you have something there.

>I print mine on a card about twice as long as the front so I can fold them
>in half and they stand up, or I hang them on a pair of folding doors that
>look like shutters.  The downside to that is I have to put a pushpin in the
>back to make them hang properly.

Tink
http://blackswampglassworks.com
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
"Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe
 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Caro » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 06:23:37


I like the cards the way they are Tink. Very Classy. The phone number is iffy.
Depends on if you want to sell outside your website and shops.
 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Steve & Susan Wrigh » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:08:30


Take your idea add Louis's (fold and punch and if you want to go further
make it so the back also folds to form a base that can be taped in a ^ and
underlined, couldn't figure out how to diagram this.  A little more sturdy
than just a ^. and you could fold up the _ to anchor on the shutters.
Susan

Quote:
> Very nice.  I think you have something there.

> I print mine on a card about twice as long as the front so I can fold them
> in half and they stand up, or I hang them on a pair of folding doors that
> look like shutters.  The downside to that is I have to put a pushpin in
the
> back to make them hang properly.

> --
> There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques



> > Hey all!

> > You've been so great in helping me make critical decisions about all
> > aspects of my new venture (Black Swamp Glassworks) that I thought I'd
> > run something else by you.

> > I want to attempt to sell some of my stuff to local shops, and think
> > it would be nice if they had the option to hang stuff up. I also want
> > to present a professional image. With that in mind, I've come up with
> > a hang card of sorts. Would you take a look and give feedback?

> > Feedback on the photos themselves are also welcome. Still working that
> > out. LOL!

> > http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=953705&uid=604223

> > That link should get you there.

> > Thanks a million!

> > Tink
> > http://blackswampglassworks.com
> > http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
> > http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
> > "Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe

 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Tink » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:52:42


I would certainly think so. Especially if you're wholesaling. I don't
know how consignment would affect that, but still... I would think
that part of what comes along with the wholesale discount is the shop
overhead, including liability for losses.



Quote:
>vj found this  in rec.crafts.beads, from Tink

>]As I think about it, a basket by the register may not be such a bad
>]idea. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

>as long as it isn't conducive to shoplifting.

>is that the store owner's responsibility?????
>^^ another grasshopper question . . .

>-----------

>http://www.booksnbytes.com
>Usenet Services provided by: http://www.bnb-lp.com
>-----------
>The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.

Tink
http://blackswampglassworks.com
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
"Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe
 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Lesli » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:34:38


That is a cool idea.  I really like it.  Are you going to put some sort of a
cover over the card and bead?
Leslie

--
http://www.FoundCollection.com/***.com/~goldwing/new_page_18.htm
www.eclecticbeadery.com
"Being yourself is not remaining what you were, or being satisfied with what
you are. It is the point of departure."
~ Sydney Harris


Quote:
> Hey all!

> You've been so great in helping me make critical decisions about all
> aspects of my new venture (Black Swamp Glassworks) that I thought I'd
> run something else by you.

> I want to attempt to sell some of my stuff to local shops, and think
> it would be nice if they had the option to hang stuff up. I also want
> to present a professional image. With that in mind, I've come up with
> a hang card of sorts. Would you take a look and give feedback?

> Feedback on the photos themselves are also welcome. Still working that
> out. LOL!

> http://www.FoundCollection.com/

> That link should get you there.

> Thanks a million!

> Tink
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> "Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe

 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Tink » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:36:38


Nope. Not if I can help it ;)

*g*



Quote:
>That is a cool idea.  I really like it.  Are you going to put some sort of a
>cover over the card and bead?
>Leslie

Tink
http://blackswampglassworks.com
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
"Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe
 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by crazyred he » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:33:20


CARDS are great so are photos and lovely beads below the card! Cool Tink

Victoria

Victoria's Art Jewelry

www.eclecticbeadery.com
 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Tink » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:46:20


Hey thanks! There is a challenge going on over at Wet Canvas for those
of us who can't go to The Gathering. We're blue because of it, so
we're doing a blue bead challenge :)

I really like it a lot. Has incredible depth... I wish I had jewelry
making skills. But I don't. So I'll have to find a home for it where
it can become something. LOL!


Quote:

>CARDS are great so are photos and lovely beads below the card! Cool Tink

Tink
http://blackswampglassworks.com
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
"Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe
 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Marisa Cappett » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:04:30


Hiya Tink.  The hang card does everything it should.  It enhances the piece
and does not dominate it.  From what I can see it holds the piece securely.
It gives the store owner a place to put a price sticker (hopefully on the
back of the card). It clearly identifies you and the studio and shows that
the item is hand made in the US.  I love the pale "Macintosh-esque" motif
behind the piece, this draws the eye to the piece and acts as a spotlight.
The A&C style of font also hints at your love of all things from this
period; it says a little something about you as an artist without hitting
the buyer over the head.  Well done, I think the hang card is great.  I also
love that little bottle!
Cheers
Marisa

Quote:
> Hey all!

> You've been so great in helping me make critical decisions about all
> aspects of my new venture (Black Swamp Glassworks) that I thought I'd
> run something else by you.

> I want to attempt to sell some of my stuff to local shops, and think
> it would be nice if they had the option to hang stuff up. I also want
> to present a professional image. With that in mind, I've come up with
> a hang card of sorts. Would you take a look and give feedback?

> Feedback on the photos themselves are also welcome. Still working that
> out. LOL!

> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=953705&uid=604223

> That link should get you there.

> Thanks a million!

> Tink
> http://blackswampglassworks.com
> http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
> "Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe

 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Marisa Cappett » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:09:49


I ran a craft gallery for some time and I would advise against putting your
phone number on the card.  For the reasons you site, shop owners will be
annoyed if you sell directly and it can also become a problem for you.  It
is more time efficient for you to make and sell in bulk to store owners then
deal with petty direct sales when you should be 'at the torch'.

Certainly at fairs put your phone number on the card.
Marisa

Quote:
> Well now, that was a quandry for me. Maybe I need to have a few
> different versions. I was even thinking about leaving off the URL.
> Here's the logic: Shop owners may not want your contact info right on
> the card because they *might* worry that people would contact you to
> buy directly.

> This may not be much of an issue if I sold my stuff to stores outside
> the region, but for local shops.... Hmmm... Shop owners out there:
> Thoughts on this?

> I think I need another hang card for shows and art fairs when I'm
> selling stuff myself. Maybe.

> See??? This is why I need you guys!!!

> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:34:22 GMT, Frannie



> >> That link should get you there.

> >Tink, they look terrific!

> >Will you be including a phone number, as well, for those
> >who don't have internet access? (There still may be a few
> >out there! :)

> Tink
> http://blackswampglassworks.com
> http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
> "Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe

 
 
 

More input needed: Hang cards this time!

Post by Christina Foster Peterso » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:18:16


$10 for your vessels.  That's $10 to you and $10 for the shop?  I would
guess that's low, but maybe not unreasonably low.  ??

Though space is at a premium in a shop, you need a large enough space to be
seen.  Don't forget that part.

Christina


Quote:
> I'm still thinking through my own display options in preparation for
> maybe doing some shows and art fairs next summer. Maybe.

> My feeling about this card, as it's intended for items going to shops,
> is that it needs to be space conscious: Space in a shop is at a
> premium, I think. So I wanted it to take up as little room as
> possible. Initially, I figure I'll just plunk an assortment of these
> in a little basket that would sit on a shelf or counter. If the shop
> owner decides to hang them for better visibility, the hole is already
> in the card. And, hopefully, more on-center than the hole I punched in
> that example. LOL!

> As I think about it, a basket by the register may not be such a bad
> idea. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

> I've decided I want to get $10 a piece for these small cavity vessels.
> No less. I kind of think that's a little low, but I would really like
> to hear your thoughts on this, as well. That $10 would be my wholesale
> price to a shop. No consignments.

> I have one listed on my website for $10, as that's the least I can
> take for them, time/labor/materials wise. Since that's my wholesale
> price, should I be asking more (retail) when I sell them myself?

> Sorry for the rambling. Just thinking out loud here. To hear me mumble
> like this, it must sound like I've never done this before. I have, but
> with much higher priced things (teddy bears) and back then I never,
> EVER sold wholesale. Even when I sold to shops.



> >Very nice.  I think you have something there.

> >I print mine on a card about twice as long as the front so I can fold
them
> >in half and they stand up, or I hang them on a pair of folding doors that
> >look like shutters.  The downside to that is I have to put a pushpin in
the
> >back to make them hang properly.

> Tink
> http://blackswampglassworks.com
> http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=10179
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blackswampglassworks/
> "Leap, and the net will appear." - Goethe