Dog collars

Dog collars

Post by Lesli » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:18:43



Hi all,  several months ago there were some posts about making dog collars.
I need so information.
What type of threading material was used or could be.  Would silamide be ok.
What stitch
What type of fastener would you use.
I have measurements for the dogs neck and she is a little little dog who
doesn't live outside.  Definitely a babied dog.
Thanks for the help
Leslie
--
http://www.FoundCollection.com/***.com/~goldwing/new_page_18.htm
www.eclecticbeadery.com
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
~ Mother Teresa
 
 
 

Dog collars

Post by Kathy N- » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:41:58



9/10/02 7:18 AM:

Quote:
> Hi all,  several months ago there were some posts about making dog collars.
> I need so information.
> What type of threading material was used or could be.  Would silamide be ok.

I used Fireline 6 lb. Test fishing line. I'd expect that Silamide would be
okay, but the collar wouldn't last as long. (Dog collars get smelly, IME;
and I'd expect the thread would corrode eventually)

Quote:
> What stitch

Whatever you'd like.  I made some flat peyote designs and sewed them onto
cheapo nylon collars from the pet supply store, and I made some tubular
peyote and tubular Ndebele collars.  Netting would be impractical, IMHO.

Quote:
> What type of fastener would you use.

If you use flat peyote, the hardware is already attached to the cheapie
nylon collar.  For the tubular pieces, I used a key ring woven into the
piece as a leash attachment, and a lobster claw clasp.  With the fishing
line, I know that the clasp isn't going anywhere; although my Sophie is very
good on a leash and doesn't pull.

If your dog pulls on a leash, I'd definitely go with the flat beading
attached to a commercial collar.  If the doggie is calmer, the tubular
collars are much prettier, IMO.

Quote:
> I have measurements for the dogs neck and she is a little little dog who
> doesn't live outside.  Definitely a babied dog.

One of my collars for Sophie is pastel and has a heart shaped charm***
from it.  Sounds like it would be very appropriate for this little girl.

BTW, Sophie has quite the wardrobe of collars, since she's a girl and needs
a change of "clothes."  One of my favorites is her spiked Harley Davidson
collar, for when she's feeling tough.  Looks rather silly on a 15 lb. Dog!

Cheers,

Kathy N-V

Quote:
> Thanks for the help
> Leslie
> --
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/***.com/~goldwing/new_page_18.htm
> www.eclecticbeadery.com
> "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
> ~ Mother Teresa

--
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to
you when you have forgotten the words.

 
 
 

Dog collars

Post by Kieran » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:09:07


Quote:
> One of my favorites is her spiked Harley Davidson
> collar, for when she's feeling tough.  Looks rather silly on a 15 lb. Dog!
> Kathy N-V

This I would like to see!  :)  One of my friends lost her toy poodle and is
now looking at a tiny teacup poodle, chocolate in color.  Since herself,
husband and both daughters all have names starting in S she has decided (if
she gets the dog) to call him Spike!  Since he's only going to be about 4
1/2 lbs.  this should be interesting.

To throw in the obligatory beading reference, I'm in charge of beading
collars and crocheting sweaters since she'll never find any clothes in his
"size".

Kierana

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.384 / Virus Database: 216 - Release Date: 8/21/02

 
 
 

Dog collars

Post by Lesli » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:51:41


Thanks Kathy, I thought you were the one who had made them.  This little one
is a  (just excuse the spelling) Chihuahua.  Her name is Chocolate Sundae
and she is just the cutest little dog.  I wanted to do something special.
My little dog Tomas wouldn't go for it.  At least I don't think he would.
Might try though.  Thanks again
Leslie

--
http://www.FoundCollection.com/***.com/~goldwing/new_page_18.htm
www.eclecticbeadery.com
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
~ Mother Teresa


Quote:

> 9/10/02 7:18 AM:

> > Hi all,  several months ago there were some posts about making dog
collars.
> > I need so information.
> > What type of threading material was used or could be.  Would silamide be
ok.

> I used Fireline 6 lb. Test fishing line. I'd expect that Silamide would be
> okay, but the collar wouldn't last as long. (Dog collars get smelly, IME;
> and I'd expect the thread would corrode eventually)

> > What stitch

> Whatever you'd like.  I made some flat peyote designs and sewed them onto
> cheapo nylon collars from the pet supply store, and I made some tubular
> peyote and tubular Ndebele collars.  Netting would be impractical, IMHO.

> > What type of fastener would you use.

> If you use flat peyote, the hardware is already attached to the cheapie
> nylon collar.  For the tubular pieces, I used a key ring woven into the
> piece as a leash attachment, and a lobster claw clasp.  With the fishing
> line, I know that the clasp isn't going anywhere; although my Sophie is
very
> good on a leash and doesn't pull.

> If your dog pulls on a leash, I'd definitely go with the flat beading
> attached to a commercial collar.  If the doggie is calmer, the tubular
> collars are much prettier, IMO.

> > I have measurements for the dogs neck and she is a little little dog who
> > doesn't live outside.  Definitely a babied dog.

> One of my collars for Sophie is pastel and has a heart shaped charm
***
> from it.  Sounds like it would be very appropriate for this little girl.

> BTW, Sophie has quite the wardrobe of collars, since she's a girl and
needs
> a change of "clothes."  One of my favorites is her spiked Harley Davidson
> collar, for when she's feeling tough.  Looks rather silly on a 15 lb. Dog!

> Cheers,

> Kathy N-V

> > Thanks for the help
> > Leslie
> > --
> > http://www.FoundCollection.com/***.com/~goldwing/new_page_18.htm
> > www.eclecticbeadery.com
> > "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
> > ~ Mother Teresa

> --
> A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back
to
> you when you have forgotten the words.

 
 
 

Dog collars

Post by MeijhanaKitti » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:42:57


try barbie doll clothes???  LOL!!!!

Mary


Quote:

> > One of my favorites is her spiked Harley Davidson
> > collar, for when she's feeling tough.  Looks rather silly on a 15 lb.
Dog!
> > Kathy N-V

> This I would like to see!  :)  One of my friends lost her toy poodle and
is
> now looking at a tiny teacup poodle, chocolate in color.  Since herself,
> husband and both daughters all have names starting in S she has decided
(if
> she gets the dog) to call him Spike!  Since he's only going to be about 4
> 1/2 lbs.  this should be interesting.

> To throw in the obligatory beading reference, I'm in charge of beading
> collars and crocheting sweaters since she'll never find any clothes in his
> "size".

> Kierana

> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.384 / Virus Database: 216 - Release Date: 8/21/02