How to scribe new panel lines?

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by 11Be » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 04:22:42



Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove raised panel lines and
re-scribe them?  I want to do Monograms old F-101B but can't stand raised
panel lines.

TIA,

11Bee

 
 
 

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by Al Superczynsk » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 04:36:42




Quote:
>Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove raised panel lines and
>re-scribe them?

     This is covered in our newsgroup FAQ at
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/rms_tips/rmsfaq.1.html .

Al Superczynski, MFE
IPMS/USA #3795, continuous since 1968
Check out my want and disposal lists at "Al's Place":
http://www.up-link.net/~modeleral
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to,
and the critics will flame you every time."

 
 
 

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by Steve Hawle » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:10:54


  You Know...I don't want to contradict the experts but a more realistic
effect would be to sand off all panel lines and then use paint to build up
a convincing panel. Tape off each panel and lay down a layer of gloss white
or what suits you, then move on to the next, etc. On real aircraft you
can't get a finger nail between the panels. I prefer raised panel lines
just for this reason. Admittedly when you're done it doesn't look like a
model:-). HTH
Quote:



> >Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove raised panel lines and
> >re-scribe them?

>      This is covered in our newsgroup FAQ at
> http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/rms_tips/rmsfaq.1.html .

> Al Superczynski, MFE
> IPMS/USA #3795, continuous since 1968
> Check out my want and disposal lists at "Al's Place":
> http://www.up-link.net/~modeleral
> "Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to,
> and the critics will flame you every time."

 
 
 

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by RenĂ© van der Har » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:04:46


This is the way I rescribe panel lines.
I use a sharp knife with a tip angle of about 45 degrees. ( I don't know the
number of the knife). And I use a Verlinden scribing template. I just follow
the existing panel lines using the template as a ruler / guide. when I'm done
I sand the scribed model and finish the model. It takes me only a couple of
hours to scribe a 1/48 scale model. My next model I will try to make panel
lines with a sharp pencil after completely sanding and painting the model.
Ren.

11Bee schreef:

Quote:
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove raised panel lines and
> re-scribe them?  I want to do Monograms old F-101B but can't stand raised
> panel lines.

> TIA,

> 11Bee

 
 
 

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by Mike » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:17:41


Quote:

> On real aircraft you
> can't get a finger nail between the panels.

 I think you need a manicure!

--
Mike Dougherty
Toronto, Ont.
Canada

 
 
 

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by Steve Hawle » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 10:19:54


What are you...Psychic or something? Amazing!
Quote:


> > On real aircraft you
> > can't get a finger nail between the panels.

>  I think you need a manicure!

> --
> Mike Dougherty
> Toronto, Ont.
> Canada

 
 
 

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by Grnbe215 » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:51:53


11 Bee?  As in Harmony Church? Building aircraft? Something wrong here...

It's better to have entered a model contest and lost, than to have collected
stamps.

 
 
 

How to scribe new panel lines?

Post by Charles Met » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 02:59:57


 >      This is covered in our newsgroup FAQ at
 > http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/rms_tips/rmsfaq.1.html .

More specifically, it's on the FAQ page at
<http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/rms_tips/rmsfaq.19.html#q1>.  An
illustrated and slightly updated version of the same article can be
found on the IPMS Stockholm "Tech Tips" page at
<http://www.hotel.wineasy.se/ipms/stuff_eng_tech_scribing.htm>.

  Charles Metz