AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by Robert Koze » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00



I to have purchased an AM Avenger.

Dry fitting indicates a dream to build with no extras needed.

One question arises out of the bronze green debate:

        What colour would the interior of the wing flaps be?

The FSM colur review in November jad a photo of an avenger with the flaps
down and visible.

They looked a medium grey, similar to a RLM 66

Bad photo or were they indeed grey?

Robert
Winnipeg

 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by William Ree » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00


   Light Gray would be correct for a TBF-1C. This is a very light gray FS
36440 to FS 36622. TBM-1/3 would be ANA 611/FS 34151 Interior Green.

William Reece
Fly Navy!

Quote:

> I to have purchased an AM Avenger.

> Dry fitting indicates a dream to build with no extras needed.

> One question arises out of the bronze green debate:

>         What colour would the interior of the wing flaps be?

> The FSM colur review in November jad a photo of an avenger with the flaps
> down and visible.

> They looked a medium grey, similar to a RLM 66

> Bad photo or were they indeed grey?

> Robert
> Winnipeg


 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by James Corle » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00



Quote:
>    What colour would the interior of the wing flaps be?

>The FSM colur review in November jad a photo of an avenger with the
>flaps down and visible.

>They looked a medium grey, similar to a RLM 66

>Bad photo or were they indeed grey?

First off, the USN would have NEVER used an RLM color!

The navy had an order stating that certain surfaces be painted certain
colors. In this case, the plane must have been in an early scheme, the
interior of the lower wing surfaces were painted the same color as the
bottom of the plane. It was most likely ANA-602/FS36440 NS Lt (Gull)
Grey (1942 two-tone) or ANA601/FS37875 NS Insignia White (Pacific & ASW
schemes) in shadow. The landing gear,cowling interior, etc were also
painted in the same color. On the late war overall ANA607, everything
was dark sea blue. The exceptions were hydraulic surfaces, radomes,
etc. that could not be painted.

 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by oxmor.. » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

>First off, the USN would have NEVER used an RLM color!

Jd read the man's note again! He said "similar to"

"Similar to" implies some common points such as tone, tint, hue whatever,
it doesn't mean that they USED RLM colors.

Soapbox mode off
Rick Clark

 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by Joe Heged » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00



Quote:

>   Light Gray would be correct for a TBF-1C. This is a very light gray FS
>36440 to FS 36622. TBM-1/3 would be ANA 611/FS 34151 Interior Green.

>William Reece
>Fly Navy!

Besides the inside of the dive brakes on the SBD's, when did the Navy start painting
the inside of split flaps RED?  Early-war color photos show the Dauntless flaps red
inside, I believe that SB2C's were red also.

Joe

 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by Chris Dougla » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00


William: thanks for your recent help with my bronze green
question.  As always, you remain the definitive USN color
guru.

As for the dropped flaps: what color would an F6F-3's
exposed flap areas be?  The light grey (I assume this
is the same grey that the area behind the pilot's seat
is painted, correct?), or interior green?

--
-----------------------------------------------------

Production Designer/Animator  -  Origin Systems, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------------
Opinions expressed are my own.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"The freedom of the marketplace is not merely the best guarantor of our
prosperity. It is the chief guarantor of our rights, and a government
that seizes control of the economy for the good of the people ends up
seizing control of the people for the good of the economy."  --Bob Dole
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by Karen Sinde » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00


The paint specs call for Red on the inside of diving flaps. The key word
is DIVING Brakes. Flaps could be painted interior green, light gray
(Grumman) or the same as the underside of the of the a/c. You must check
photos of the a/c type you're building.

William Reece
Fly Navy!

Quote:
> Besides the inside of the dive brakes on the SBD's, when did the Navy
start painting
> the inside of split flaps RED?  Early-war color photos show the
Dauntless flaps red
> inside, I believe that SB2C's were red also.

> Joe

 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by gu.. » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Chris,

   I did some checking last evening and found that the in all of the
photos I could find the area of the flaps that becomes exposed when they
drop is Semi Gloss Sea Blue. They must have been painted when they were
assembled by the sub-contractor. I asked Larry Webster and he indicated
that the areas on the bottom were NS Insignia White. This would include
the area on the wing as well as the flap.
  I hope this helps.

William Reece
Fly Navy!

 
 
 

AM Avenger - Dropped Flaps

Post by Joe Heged » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00


Thanks for clearing that up.  I looked, but must have missed the reference to
"Diving".

Joe


Quote:

>The paint specs call for Red on the inside of diving flaps. The key word
>is DIVING Brakes. Flaps could be painted interior green, light gray
>(Grumman) or the same as the underside of the of the a/c. You must check
>photos of the a/c type you're building.

>William Reece
>Fly Navy!

>> Besides the inside of the dive brakes on the SBD's, when did the Navy
>start painting
>> the inside of split flaps RED?  Early-war color photos show the
>Dauntless flaps red
>> inside, I believe that SB2C's were red also.

>> Joe