Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by Fletcher O'Dont » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 05:05:48



    I need to know of the color of the U.S. Black Hawk helicopter.  Despite
the name it appears to be some kind of black green.  Are they totally black
or some shade of black or green?  Tell me the paint colors I should use to
achieve the right color.

 Thanks!

 
 
 

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by Bill Banasza » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:19:39


I believe 'Black Hawk' refers to an Indian tribe formerly located in the
Illinois area.  US Army choppers are named for various tribes.
(tongue firmly lodged in cheek)
Does that get them in trouble with the California government?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

 
 
 

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by 11Be » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:51:42


The actual color of US Army Blackhawks is overall helo drab.  Depending on
the light and the condition of the paint, this color can look black, olive
drab, green or anything in between.

Testors makes this color.

Some US Special Operation Blackhawks are overall flat black.

Hope this helps,

11Bee

Quote:
> I believe 'Black Hawk' refers to an Indian tribe formerly located in the
> Illinois area.  US Army choppers are named for various tribes.
> (tongue firmly lodged in cheek)
> Does that get them in trouble with the California government?

> Bill Banaszak, MFE

 
 
 

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by John & Shaw Pere » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:28:31


The Blackhawks use a dark grey/green called "US Army Helo Drab", FED STD
color code 34031. Model Master makes a good enamel version of this paint.

JP


Quote:

>     I need to know of the color of the U.S. Black Hawk helicopter.
Despite
> the name it appears to be some kind of black green.  Are they totally
black
> or some shade of black or green?  Tell me the paint colors I should use to
> achieve the right color.

>  Thanks!

 
 
 

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by Andrew Nell » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:49:12


Also, many were painted in the Euro camo paint scheme, some are also ghost grey
(Marine ones?).
Andrew Nelles
 
 
 

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by ROTORFRA » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:16:20


Euro One is the scheme applied to Air Force MH-60G and HH-60G Pave Hawks.  The
pale gray(s) scheme is standard for US Navy SH-60B/F and HH-60H Seahawks.  Word
has it there were some Special Operations MH-60Ls in Navy Gray during the first
Persian Gulf war in 1987.

There are some other cammouflage schemes on export Black Hawks.

Frank

 
 
 

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by John Hairel » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 00:57:59



Quote:
>Euro One is the scheme applied to Air Force MH-60G and HH-60G Pave Hawks.  The
>pale gray(s) scheme is standard for US Navy SH-60B/F and HH-60H Seahawks.  Word
>has it there were some Special Operations MH-60Ls in Navy Gray during the first
>Persian Gulf war in 1987.

>There are some other cammouflage schemes on export Black Hawks.

>Frank

I've seen several black and white photos of an MH-60 in a non-black
paint scheme which I believe to be Navy gray.  Supposedly this is so
the bad guys would not be able to tell Army special-ops MH-60s from
Navy SH-60s.  From memory there weren't any markings at all.

The photographer wouldn't confirm the color, but it obviously wasn't
black or OD.

Not all Navy SH-60s/HH-60s are gray.


 
 
 

Black Hawk helicopter color scheme

Post by James Venabl » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:02:41


Quote:
> >There are some other cammouflage schemes on export Black Hawks.

Australian Army Blackhawks wear an attractive black/green/tan
camouflage pattern. Other Aussie a/c using this or a similar scheme
were/are the Army's Pilatus Porters (now withdrawn from service) and
Hueys and the RAAF's C-130's and DHC-4's.

Cheers to all,
James.