THANKS FOR FEEDBACK ON STD SHIP MODEL SCALE

THANKS FOR FEEDBACK ON STD SHIP MODEL SCALE

Post by joseph w. rey » Tue, 01 Aug 1995 04:00:00



My sincere thanks to fellow r.m.s'ers for your feedback concerning my
proposal for a standard ship model scale.  It's gratifying to know there
are so many knowledgeable shipwrights on the net.

With that in mind, may I also pose the following inquiries:

   - Any word on further re-releases of old HELLER 1/400 scale warships? I
recently acquired the BISMARCK, SCHARNHORST, GNEISENAU, PRINZ EUGEN and
GRAF SPEE -- beautifully detailed as befits most HELLER kits, but I'm
wondering if reissues of the equally impressive HMS ILLUSTRIOUS carrier
and HMS HOOD battlecruiser are far behind...

   - Any one out there have any leads on the late lamented NICHIMO series
of 1/500 scale warships, among which I currently possess the nuclear
carrier ENTERPRISE, the german GRAF SPEE, and a few Japanese ships.  I'm
curious about just how many ships NICHIMO modeled in this scale before
they called it quits, and if anyone has some for sale....

   - Can anyone clue me in on the FROG scale warships that occasionally
show up at kit collector swap meets here on the left coast?  I've only
seen British ships so far (got HMS TIGER and a TRIBAL-class DD), and I'm
interested in the scope and availability of ships by this manufacturer...

Thanks again for your feedback,

Joe Reyna
Model Shipwright,
also recovering MISTIE, XPHILE, and TREKKIE (oh, yeah B5-'er, too)

"...remember, keep the glue on the kit and off your nose"
 - quote generally attributed to Crow T. Robot, but who knows?

 
 
 

THANKS FOR FEEDBACK ON STD SHIP MODEL SCALE

Post by Paolo Piz » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00



Quote:
>   - Any word on further re-releases of old HELLER 1/400 scale warships? I
>recently acquired the BISMARCK, SCHARNHORST, GNEISENAU, PRINZ EUGEN and
>GRAF SPEE

In my local hobby shop I saw in the same series Lutzow, Vanguard, Richelieu
and Akagi but I don't know whether they were reissues or just old kits.

 -- beautifully detailed as befits most HELLER kits

Well I somewhat disagree, at times you even have to drill portholes...

Quote:
>   - Any one out there have any leads on the late lamented NICHIMO series
>of 1/500 scale warships, among which I currently possess the nuclear
>carrier ENTERPRISE, the german GRAF SPEE, and a few Japanese ships.  I'm
>curious about just how many ships NICHIMO modeled in this scale before
>they called it quits, and if anyone has some for sale....

I've never seen any of those in the last 15 years...

Quote:
>   - Can anyone clue me in on the FROG scale warships that occasionally
>show up at kit collector swap meets here on the left coast?

ditto

I don't know if you are familiar with GHQ's 1/2400 pewter models, they're
incredibly detailed despite the scale, some of them even more detailed than
stock waterline 1/700 kits (well fitting photoetched stuff on a 1/2400
destroyer would be like painting Da Vinci's "Gioconda" on a pin head :-) )
Anyway it's about the only scale where you can find virtually ANY ship
and it's great to build historical fleets or dioramas. Check it out!

regards,

Paolo Pizzi
Cypress, CA