GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to repl » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:17:24



Hi Guys,
   Well, I have gotten lucky and have been doing some finishing work for
StitchWorld magazine -- aren't I the lucky one!!!!!  Of course the fact that
Janet, my stitchin' buddy, works for the mag and recommended me might just have
a ***sy bit to do with it :-))).  Last month I made up two X-mas pillows with
ruffles and they turned out really nice!  The stitching was nicely done on
white afghan cloth and the ruffles were really cute X-mas fabrics.  IIRC, one
was a wreath (don't remember what the ruffle was but it was green) and the
other was a big candy cane with candy cane ruffle fabric.  Janet picked out the
fabric and did a great job for someone who doesn't know squat about sewing.
   What's even better is the Christmas Stocking I finished today!  It is
absolutely one of THE most lovely designs I have seen in quite awhile!  It is
mostly blues and whites with some ecru & beige shading. It has Santa (of
course) and a big polar bear and some other smaller white animals.  It was
stitched with perle cotton, rayon and my favorite -- Wisper!  The backing was a
perfectly matching blue suede cloth (thanks again to Janet) and it had nice fat
silver cording which was just beautiful but an absolute P.I.T.A. to finish off
-- I let Janet know about that too -- LOLOL!  
   The magazine people also wanted me to provide finishing directions and I
think it took me almost as long to write them up as it did to make the
stocking!  When I sew this type of stuff -- no patern or anything -- I just
sort of know what to do before I start -- likely because I have been sewing
this type of stuff since the last ice age -- LOL!  I sat here for the longest
time trying to put the sewing steps into sensible language -- NOT an easy task
to say the least -- LOLOL!
   To top all of this off, the stocking will be the on the cover of the january
issue and the pillows will be one of the projects inside!  AND -- big drum roll
here -- the pillows turned out nice enought that, scuttle***has it Zweigart
will be using them in one of their ads!!!  Am I ready for the big time or
what???  Of course, the fact that all you see of MY work is the ruffles on the
pillows and the cording on the stocking does tend to take the wind out of my
sails -- LOLOLOL!!!  But I still had fun making the stuff AND I made some $$$.
Feedback is that the magazine people like my work so I might likely get more
work from them.  It sure beats the blazes out of making big, heavy, UGLY window
treatments for women who's only taste is in their mouths!!!!!  OOO -- I be bad
tonight :-))).  CiaoMeow >^;;^<
.
PAX, Tia Mary   >^;;^<    
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!  
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

no spaces)
 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Lei » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 13:56:00


Congratulations, Tia Mary!  I bet your work is spectacular.  I know the
polar Santa stocking you're talking about and I can't wait to see it in
Stitcher's World and where ever else your work is shown.

--
Lei in Japan



Quote:
> Hi Guys,
>    Well, I have gotten lucky and have been doing some finishing work for
> StitchWorld magazine -- aren't I the lucky one!!!!!  Of course the fact
that
> Janet, my stitchin' buddy, works for the mag and recommended me might just
have
> a ***sy bit to do with it :-))).  Last month I made up two X-mas pillows
with
> ruffles and they turned out really nice!  The stitching was nicely done on
> white afghan cloth and the ruffles were really cute X-mas fabrics.  IIRC,
one
> was a wreath (don't remember what the ruffle was but it was green) and the
> other was a big candy cane with candy cane ruffle fabric.  Janet picked
out the
> fabric and did a great job for someone who doesn't know squat about
sewing.
>    What's even better is the Christmas Stocking I finished today!  It is
> absolutely one of THE most lovely designs I have seen in quite awhile!  It
is
> mostly blues and whites with some ecru & beige shading. It has Santa (of
> course) and a big polar bear and some other smaller white animals.  It was
> stitched with perle cotton, rayon and my favorite -- Wisper!  The backing
was a
> perfectly matching blue suede cloth (thanks again to Janet) and it had
nice fat
> silver cording which was just beautiful but an absolute P.I.T.A. to finish
off
> -- I let Janet know about that too -- LOLOL!
>    The magazine people also wanted me to provide finishing directions and
I
> think it took me almost as long to write them up as it did to make the
> stocking!  When I sew this type of stuff -- no patern or anything -- I
just
> sort of know what to do before I start -- likely because I have been
sewing
> this type of stuff since the last ice age -- LOL!  I sat here for the
longest
> time trying to put the sewing steps into sensible language -- NOT an easy
task
> to say the least -- LOLOL!
>    To top all of this off, the stocking will be the on the cover of the
january
> issue and the pillows will be one of the projects inside!  AND -- big drum
roll
> here -- the pillows turned out nice enought that, scuttle***has it
Zweigart
> will be using them in one of their ads!!!  Am I ready for the big time or
> what???  Of course, the fact that all you see of MY work is the ruffles on
the
> pillows and the cording on the stocking does tend to take the wind out of
my
> sails -- LOLOLOL!!!  But I still had fun making the stuff AND I made some
$$$.
> Feedback is that the magazine people like my work so I might likely get
more
> work from them.  It sure beats the blazes out of making big, heavy, UGLY
window
> treatments for women who's only taste is in their mouths!!!!!  OOO -- I be
bad
> tonight :-))).  CiaoMeow >^;;^<
> .
> PAX, Tia Mary   >^;;^<
> Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
their
> WHISKERS!!
> Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

caps,
> no spaces)


 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to repl » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:57:30


Quote:

>I know the
>polar Santa stocking you're talking about and I can't wait to see it in
>Stitcher's World and where ever else your work is shown.

Jusst remember -- I didn't do the stitching just the finish work!  don't want
to take credit where it's not due.  I *did* make mention of the fact that if
they ever need an extra model stitcher, I would be happy to lend a hand :-)).
Besides -- I could stitch the piece and then finish it =8-O save time all
around -- LOLOL!  CiaoMeow >^;;^<
.
PAX, Tia Mary   >^;;^<    
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!  
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

no spaces)
 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Nanc » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:36:41


OOOOHHH!  That stocking is on my "to do" list (as soon as I finish Christmas
stuff for gifts).  I think it's beautiful and I can hardly wait to see your
finished version.

--
Nancy, in northern Ontario
current projects:  Amish Quilt Sampler - MLI
                           Christmas Alphabet - Vermillion Stitchery
                           Mates - Cross My Heart
                           Wee Beasties 3 - Dimples Designs
                           Sugar & Spice Christmas Stocking - CS&CC magazine


Quote:
> Hi Guys,
>    Well, I have gotten lucky and have been doing some finishing work for
> StitchWorld magazine -- aren't I the lucky one!!!!!  Of course the fact
that
> Janet, my stitchin' buddy, works for the mag and recommended me might just
have
> a ***sy bit to do with it :-))).  Last month I made up two X-mas pillows
with
> ruffles and they turned out really nice!  The stitching was nicely done on
> white afghan cloth and the ruffles were really cute X-mas fabrics.  IIRC,
one
> was a wreath (don't remember what the ruffle was but it was green) and the
> other was a big candy cane with candy cane ruffle fabric.  Janet picked
out the
> fabric and did a great job for someone who doesn't know squat about
sewing.
>    What's even better is the Christmas Stocking I finished today!  It is
> absolutely one of THE most lovely designs I have seen in quite awhile!  It
is
> mostly blues and whites with some ecru & beige shading. It has Santa (of
> course) and a big polar bear and some other smaller white animals.  It was
> stitched with perle cotton, rayon and my favorite -- Wisper!  The backing
was a
> perfectly matching blue suede cloth (thanks again to Janet) and it had
nice fat
> silver cording which was just beautiful but an absolute P.I.T.A. to finish
off
> -- I let Janet know about that too -- LOLOL!
>    The magazine people also wanted me to provide finishing directions and
I
> think it took me almost as long to write them up as it did to make the
> stocking!  When I sew this type of stuff -- no patern or anything -- I
just
> sort of know what to do before I start -- likely because I have been
sewing
> this type of stuff since the last ice age -- LOL!  I sat here for the
longest
> time trying to put the sewing steps into sensible language -- NOT an easy
task
> to say the least -- LOLOL!
>    To top all of this off, the stocking will be the on the cover of the
january
> issue and the pillows will be one of the projects inside!  AND -- big drum
roll
> here -- the pillows turned out nice enought that, scuttle***has it
Zweigart
> will be using them in one of their ads!!!  Am I ready for the big time or
> what???  Of course, the fact that all you see of MY work is the ruffles on
the
> pillows and the cording on the stocking does tend to take the wind out of
my
> sails -- LOLOLOL!!!  But I still had fun making the stuff AND I made some
$$$.
> Feedback is that the magazine people like my work so I might likely get
more
> work from them.  It sure beats the blazes out of making big, heavy, UGLY
window
> treatments for women who's only taste is in their mouths!!!!!  OOO -- I be
bad
> tonight :-))).  CiaoMeow >^;;^<
> .
> PAX, Tia Mary   >^;;^<
> Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
their
> WHISKERS!!
> Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

caps,
> no spaces)

 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Lei » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:04:51


Well, Tia Mary, somebody's gotta finish it up and make it look purty.  ;)
Goodness knows, we all have stitching that need a good finisher, so your
skills are definitely valuable!

--
Lei in Japan



Quote:

> >I know the
> >polar Santa stocking you're talking about and I can't wait to see it in
> >Stitcher's World and where ever else your work is shown.

> Jusst remember -- I didn't do the stitching just the finish work!  don't
want
> to take credit where it's not due.  I *did* make mention of the fact that
if
> they ever need an extra model stitcher, I would be happy to lend a hand
:-)).
> Besides -- I could stitch the piece and then finish it =8-O save time all
> around -- LOLOL!  CiaoMeow >^;;^<
> .
> PAX, Tia Mary   >^;;^<
> Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about
their
> WHISKERS!!
> Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

caps,
> no spaces)

 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Janet Walke » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 14:13:33


Ok, now that Tia Mary told that I'm now working at StitchWorld, I'll tell my
story.  (Don't worry Trish, it's not as good a story as your NOT boring
stories.)

After working for a company for almost 26 years, I was given the opportunity
to take an early retirement, along with 8,500 other employees.  After MUCH
angst, I decided to take the offer and receive a modest pension.  Going from
a very nice salary to this pension wasn't easy.  I needed to find another
job but wasn't having any luck despite having a lot of qualifications.

Now I have to go back in time to March 2001 at CATS.  I always have dinner
with a designer that I've become friends with through the years.  She
brought a man who works at Zweigart with her.  I sat next to him at dinner
and we discussed (what else) needlework.  In May he called me and said he
owned a magazine here in Atlanta and was I interested in a job.  When he
mentioned the salary, I just laughed.  Since I was 2 years away from being
pension-eligible, I very politely declined.

When my company came out with the early retirement offer, I called and asked
if the job was still available.  It was but the interviewer was on vacation
for 3 weeks.  Believe me, it was 3 LONG weeks, right Mary??  When I finally
was interviewed, the job was offered.  The salary leaves much to be desired
but it's a fun place to work.  After working for a fortune 500 company with
over 100,000 employees for all my career, it's VERY different to work for a
company that has 11 employees!!  A lot of perks are gone but so is the
stress.

Mary was the best friend during my difficult 2 months.  She was supportive,
encouraging, and positive.  She just knew that everything would work out for
me, and she was right.  She let me cry and fret as much as I needed and
never lost her patience with me.

This really is a nice magazine and includes at least one needlepoint project
in each issue.  The stocking Mary mentioned is just exquisite.  I had
nothing to do with designing it or deciding to put in in the magazine.  This
was in process before I was hired.  Right now, I'm handling the
subscriptions and mail orders.

Anyway, that's my story.

Janet Walker

 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Summer Louise Truswel » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 14:04:22


How exciting!  Finishing isn't as easy as people think, is it!  That twisted
cording is sometimes the most difficult part!  lol  Writing the instructions
is even more difficult!  :)

I just finished another pillow today for an upcoming article.  I don't get
paid for mine, though.  ;)

I will be sure to look for that magazine.

Sincerely;

Summer Louise Truswell
Truswell Needlework Design
http://www.needleworkdesign.com

 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by daryl lak » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 18:27:05


Hi all, This is probably a dumb question but does StitchWolrd magazine have
a web site??  I have one of their magazines an oldie but would like ot take
a look at some more! Besides your posts on the Polar Santa Stocking have me
more than intrigued!!

Thanks
Amanda in Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Ok, now that Tia Mary told that I'm now working at StitchWorld, I'll tell my
story.  (Don't worry Trish, it's not as good a story as your NOT boring
stories.)

After working for a company for almost 26 years, I was given the opportunity
to take an early retirement, along with 8,500 other employees.  After MUCH
angst, I decided to take the offer and receive a modest pension.  Going from
a very nice salary to this pension wasn't easy.  I needed to find another
job but wasn't having any luck despite having a lot of qualifications.

Now I have to go back in time to March 2001 at CATS.  I always have dinner
with a designer that I've become friends with through the years.  She
brought a man who works at Zweigart with her.  I sat next to him at dinner
and we discussed (what else) needlework.  In May he called me and said he
owned a magazine here in Atlanta and was I interested in a job.  When he
mentioned the salary, I just laughed.  Since I was 2 years away from being
pension-eligible, I very politely declined.

When my company came out with the early retirement offer, I called and asked
if the job was still available.  It was but the interviewer was on vacation
for 3 weeks.  Believe me, it was 3 LONG weeks, right Mary??  When I finally
was interviewed, the job was offered.  The salary leaves much to be desired
but it's a fun place to work.  After working for a fortune 500 company with
over 100,000 employees for all my career, it's VERY different to work for a
company that has 11 employees!!  A lot of perks are gone but so is the
stress.

Mary was the best friend during my difficult 2 months.  She was supportive,
encouraging, and positive.  She just knew that everything would work out for
me, and she was right.  She let me cry and fret as much as I needed and
never lost her patience with me.

This really is a nice magazine and includes at least one needlepoint project
in each issue.  The stocking Mary mentioned is just exquisite.  I had
nothing to do with designing it or deciding to put in in the magazine.  This
was in process before I was hired.  Right now, I'm handling the
subscriptions and mail orders.

Anyway, that's my story.

Janet Walker

 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Karen C - Californ » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 00:40:24


Quote:
>When he
>mentioned the salary, I just laughed.  

Unfortunately, this is the standard in the publishing industry.  After I left
school, I actually made more as a law office file clerk than I would have as an
experienced newspaper reporter in the same city!

And if I'd gone back to NYC where the big book and magazine publishers are, I
would have had to live at home the rest of my life, because there was no way I
could cover rent from the salary, on top of my student loan payments.
--
Finished 9/30/01 - crocheted baby set
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands,
condolence gift

Paralegal - Editor - Researcher
http://www.craft-searcher.com/kmc/index.html

 
 
 

GORGEOUS X-mas Stitching

Post by Janet Walke » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 11:18:32


Hi Amanda,

There isn't a web site yet but it should be up and running in about a month.
E-mail me your snail mail address and I'll send you a picture as soon as
it's ready.

Janet