OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by Skyhook » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:45:28



Hello Everyone,

On 06 January 2002, I lost my Dearest (paternal) Grandmother, Lili.  Now
I no longer have any grandparents alive :(  She was very much the mother
(and then some) mine never was or could've been.  Lili and I were very
close, and I miss her terribly already.  But at 89, she was very frail,
tired, and was so ready to go.

My family and I absolutely know she only waited so she could "see" us
for the holidays (she was nearly blind with macular degeneration).
After Christmas, we returned home to Illinois, only to go back to
Alabama a week later because she declined so quickly, mercifully.
Thankfully, my father returned to AL to see her one last time about 12
hours before she passed away.

Her memorial Mass was on 08 January.  During her service, my uncle said
a few words and read the "May I Go Now?" poem.  This poem had been
shared on RCTN a few months ago, and I just want to say how much comfort
it has given me before my grandmother died, and especially now that
she's gone.  It still chokes me up and brings tears to my eyes everytime
I read it.  After her service, many of my AL relatives expressed their
appreciation for this poem and how truly appropriate it was.

So, I wish to thank Jim M. and Nicola (and everyone else) for sharing
this poem on RCTN.  I was asked by my uncle to also extend his gratitude
to RCTN regarding the the "May I Go Now?" poem.  He read it beautifully
during my grandmother's service.  There was no way I could've read it as
I would've broken up sobbing because I would have had to use my voice (I
bet a lot of y'all know what I mean?).  I'm sure everyone at my
grandmother's service had a tear (or two or more) in their eyes while my
uncle read it - I know I did.

Anywhoo, I treasure RCTN and all the folk I've come to know and love
here.  I'm blessed by y'all's virtual presence at my side.

Helen (Skyhooks)
hmardis at uiuc dot edu

"reply to" address antispammed -- frog the xxx.

P.S.  I've included the poem below, and I've signed it "anonymous"
because a search on Google revealed too many different authors' names
attributed to it, including anonymous.

++++++++++++++++++

May I Go Now?

May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?
I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.
I want to go
I really do.
It's difficult to stay.

But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.

I'll not be far,
I promise that, and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.
Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you too,
that's why it's hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you'll let me go today.

Anonymous

 
 
 

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by s.e. » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:06:01


Helen;

I am so sorry for your loss.  Right now this is touching me deeply as I
watch my own 88 year old grandma who is one of my best friends, struggle
with another round of pneumonia.  She told me years ago she didn't want to
live forever, that she'd had a good life.  But as the poem says, we're the
ones who need them here.

So as I sit here in tears in my office praying that no one walks in and
thinks I'm a nut.... thank you for reposting this poem.  I hope the time
isn't near for me to say goodbye. But if it is, the poem does help.

Shannon

Toronto  ON   Canada
WIP:   Golfers (Lynne Nicoletti), Northern Shield Sampler (Jeanette
Douglas), ornament
AlmostWIP:   CC (MLI), Cape Breton Christmas (Textured Treasures)
Recently Finished:   Tywyn Sampler (Charland), Angel of Love (MLI)

 
 
 

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by Kathleen Kan » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:07:47


Helen,

My deepest sympathies are extended to you and your family on the loss of
your grandmother.  I had not seen the poem before and it is lovely.  I will
share it with some other people.

Best regards, Kate


Quote:
> Hello Everyone,

> On 06 January 2002, I lost my Dearest (paternal) Grandmother, Lili.  Now
> I no longer have any grandparents alive :(  She was very much the mother
> (and then some) mine never was or could've been.  Lili and I were very
> close, and I miss her terribly already.  But at 89, she was very frail,
> tired, and was so ready to go.

> My family and I absolutely know she only waited so she could "see" us
> for the holidays (she was nearly blind with macular degeneration).
> After Christmas, we returned home to Illinois, only to go back to
> Alabama a week later because she declined so quickly, mercifully.
> Thankfully, my father returned to AL to see her one last time about 12
> hours before she passed away.

> Her memorial Mass was on 08 January.  During her service, my uncle said
> a few words and read the "May I Go Now?" poem.  This poem had been
> shared on RCTN a few months ago, and I just want to say how much comfort
> it has given me before my grandmother died, and especially now that
> she's gone.  It still chokes me up and brings tears to my eyes everytime
> I read it.  After her service, many of my AL relatives expressed their
> appreciation for this poem and how truly appropriate it was.

> So, I wish to thank Jim M. and Nicola (and everyone else) for sharing
> this poem on RCTN.  I was asked by my uncle to also extend his gratitude
> to RCTN regarding the the "May I Go Now?" poem.  He read it beautifully
> during my grandmother's service.  There was no way I could've read it as
> I would've broken up sobbing because I would have had to use my voice (I
> bet a lot of y'all know what I mean?).  I'm sure everyone at my
> grandmother's service had a tear (or two or more) in their eyes while my
> uncle read it - I know I did.

> Anywhoo, I treasure RCTN and all the folk I've come to know and love
> here.  I'm blessed by y'all's virtual presence at my side.

> Helen (Skyhooks)
> hmardis at uiuc dot edu

> "reply to" address antispammed -- frog the xxx.

> P.S.  I've included the poem below, and I've signed it "anonymous"
> because a search on Google revealed too many different authors' names
> attributed to it, including anonymous.

> ++++++++++++++++++

> May I Go Now?

> May I go now?
> Do you think the time is right?
> May I say goodbye to pain filled days
> and endless lonely nights?
> I've lived my life and done my best,
> an example tried to be.
> So can I take that step beyond
> and set my spirit free?

> I didn't want to go at first,
> I fought with all my might.
> But something seems to draw me now
> to a warm and loving light.
> I want to go
> I really do.
> It's difficult to stay.

> But I will try as best I can
> to live just one more day.
> To give you time to care for me
> and share your love and fears.
> I know you're sad and afraid,
> because I see your tears.

> I'll not be far,
> I promise that, and hope you'll always know
> that my spirit will be close to you
> wherever you may go.
> Thank you so for loving me.
> You know I love you too,
> that's why it's hard to say goodbye
> and end this life with you.

> So hold me now just one more time
> and let me hear you say,
> because you care so much for me,
> you'll let me go today.

> Anonymous

 
 
 

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by n.grenfel » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:59:23


Helen

I know exactly how you are feeling right now, as you know my darling
grandmother died in July after a long illness courageously bourne, that poem
was sent to me just after she died by my dear friend.   I was touched to
know that it was read out at her funeral and it was appreciated by all your
relatives.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you,

God bless, Nicola, Swansea UK


Quote:
> Hello Everyone,

> On 06 January 2002, I lost my Dearest (paternal) Grandmother, Lili.  Now
> I no longer have any grandparents alive :(  She was very much the mother
> (and then some) mine never was or could've been.  Lili and I were very
> close, and I miss her terribly already.  But at 89, she was very frail,
> tired, and was so ready to go.

> My family and I absolutely know she only waited so she could "see" us
> for the holidays (she was nearly blind with macular degeneration).
> After Christmas, we returned home to Illinois, only to go back to
> Alabama a week later because she declined so quickly, mercifully.
> Thankfully, my father returned to AL to see her one last time about 12
> hours before she passed away.

> Her memorial Mass was on 08 January.  During her service, my uncle said
> a few words and read the "May I Go Now?" poem.  This poem had been
> shared on RCTN a few months ago, and I just want to say how much comfort
> it has given me before my grandmother died, and especially now that
> she's gone.  It still chokes me up and brings tears to my eyes everytime
> I read it.  After her service, many of my AL relatives expressed their
> appreciation for this poem and how truly appropriate it was.

> So, I wish to thank Jim M. and Nicola (and everyone else) for sharing
> this poem on RCTN.  I was asked by my uncle to also extend his gratitude
> to RCTN regarding the the "May I Go Now?" poem.  He read it beautifully
> during my grandmother's service.  There was no way I could've read it as
> I would've broken up sobbing because I would have had to use my voice (I
> bet a lot of y'all know what I mean?).  I'm sure everyone at my
> grandmother's service had a tear (or two or more) in their eyes while my
> uncle read it - I know I did.

> Anywhoo, I treasure RCTN and all the folk I've come to know and love
> here.  I'm blessed by y'all's virtual presence at my side.

> Helen (Skyhooks)
> hmardis at uiuc dot edu

> "reply to" address antispammed -- frog the xxx.

> P.S.  I've included the poem below, and I've signed it "anonymous"
> because a search on Google revealed too many different authors' names
> attributed to it, including anonymous.

> ++++++++++++++++++

> May I Go Now?

> May I go now?
> Do you think the time is right?
> May I say goodbye to pain filled days
> and endless lonely nights?
> I've lived my life and done my best,
> an example tried to be.
> So can I take that step beyond
> and set my spirit free?

> I didn't want to go at first,
> I fought with all my might.
> But something seems to draw me now
> to a warm and loving light.
> I want to go
> I really do.
> It's difficult to stay.

> But I will try as best I can
> to live just one more day.
> To give you time to care for me
> and share your love and fears.
> I know you're sad and afraid,
> because I see your tears.

> I'll not be far,
> I promise that, and hope you'll always know
> that my spirit will be close to you
> wherever you may go.
> Thank you so for loving me.
> You know I love you too,
> that's why it's hard to say goodbye
> and end this life with you.

> So hold me now just one more time
> and let me hear you say,
> because you care so much for me,
> you'll let me go today.

> Anonymous

 
 
 

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by FireCa » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 07:53:41


My mother is also 89, and I have saved the poem for the inevitable day I
will have to say goodbye to her.  Thank you, Helen.


Quote:
> Hello Everyone,

> On 06 January 2002, I lost my Dearest (paternal) Grandmother, Lili.  Now
> I no longer have any grandparents alive :(  She was very much the mother
> (and then some) mine never was or could've been.  Lili and I were very
> close, and I miss her terribly already.  But at 89, she was very frail,
> tired, and was so ready to go.

> My family and I absolutely know she only waited so she could "see" us
> for the holidays (she was nearly blind with macular degeneration).
> After Christmas, we returned home to Illinois, only to go back to
> Alabama a week later because she declined so quickly, mercifully.
> Thankfully, my father returned to AL to see her one last time about 12
> hours before she passed away.

> Her memorial Mass was on 08 January.  During her service, my uncle said
> a few words and read the "May I Go Now?" poem.  This poem had been
> shared on RCTN a few months ago, and I just want to say how much comfort
> it has given me before my grandmother died, and especially now that
> she's gone.  It still chokes me up and brings tears to my eyes everytime
> I read it.  After her service, many of my AL relatives expressed their
> appreciation for this poem and how truly appropriate it was.

> So, I wish to thank Jim M. and Nicola (and everyone else) for sharing
> this poem on RCTN.  I was asked by my uncle to also extend his gratitude
> to RCTN regarding the the "May I Go Now?" poem.  He read it beautifully
> during my grandmother's service.  There was no way I could've read it as
> I would've broken up sobbing because I would have had to use my voice (I
> bet a lot of y'all know what I mean?).  I'm sure everyone at my
> grandmother's service had a tear (or two or more) in their eyes while my
> uncle read it - I know I did.

> Anywhoo, I treasure RCTN and all the folk I've come to know and love
> here.  I'm blessed by y'all's virtual presence at my side.

> Helen (Skyhooks)
> hmardis at uiuc dot edu

> "reply to" address antispammed -- frog the xxx.

> P.S.  I've included the poem below, and I've signed it "anonymous"
> because a search on Google revealed too many different authors' names
> attributed to it, including anonymous.

> ++++++++++++++++++

> May I Go Now?

> May I go now?
> Do you think the time is right?
> May I say goodbye to pain filled days
> and endless lonely nights?
> I've lived my life and done my best,
> an example tried to be.
> So can I take that step beyond
> and set my spirit free?

> I didn't want to go at first,
> I fought with all my might.
> But something seems to draw me now
> to a warm and loving light.
> I want to go
> I really do.
> It's difficult to stay.

> But I will try as best I can
> to live just one more day.
> To give you time to care for me
> and share your love and fears.
> I know you're sad and afraid,
> because I see your tears.

> I'll not be far,
> I promise that, and hope you'll always know
> that my spirit will be close to you
> wherever you may go.
> Thank you so for loving me.
> You know I love you too,
> that's why it's hard to say goodbye
> and end this life with you.

> So hold me now just one more time
> and let me hear you say,
> because you care so much for me,
> you'll let me go today.

> Anonymous

 
 
 

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by Meri Abra » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:12:38


Oh Sky,  I know how very much your grandmother meant to you, having
had the privilege to visit with you *in person* the last few years and
hear the wonderful stories of all your Southern Christmases and your
Alaskan cruise.    I know just how special she was to you.   It is
hard to lose someone close you love a whole lot!

Stitching on my mother's rememberance sampler has really helped me the
last year ... it is still a work in progress (which is quite ok
because I keep thinking of little things I want to put on it).

The best part of losing someone is when you realize that you really
haven't lost them at all.   I know it sounds a little trite, but I am
finding that my parents really are with me in my heart more than ever
the last couple of years.  I know your Grandmother will be there for
you too ... in thousands of little ways .. and even those times will
be special.

Meri Abrams,

Quote:

> Helen

> I know exactly how you are feeling right now, as you know my darling
> grandmother died in July after a long illness courageously bourne, that poem
> was sent to me just after she died by my dear friend.   I was touched to
> know that it was read out at her funeral and it was appreciated by all your
> relatives.

> My thoughts and prayers go out to you,

> God bless, Nicola, Swansea UK



> > Hello Everyone,

> > On 06 January 2002, I lost my Dearest (paternal) Grandmother, Lili.  Now
> > I no longer have any grandparents alive :(  She was very much the mother
> > (and then some) mine never was or could've been.  Lili and I were very
> > close, and I miss her terribly already.  But at 89, she was very frail,
> > tired, and was so ready to go.

> > My family and I absolutely know she only waited so she could "see" us
> > for the holidays (she was nearly blind with macular degeneration).
> > After Christmas, we returned home to Illinois, only to go back to
> > Alabama a week later because she declined so quickly, mercifully.
> > Thankfully, my father returned to AL to see her one last time about 12
> > hours before she passed away.

> > Her memorial Mass was on 08 January.  During her service, my uncle said
> > a few words and read the "May I Go Now?" poem.  This poem had been
> > shared on RCTN a few months ago, and I just want to say how much comfort
> > it has given me before my grandmother died, and especially now that
> > she's gone.  It still chokes me up and brings tears to my eyes everytime
> > I read it.  After her service, many of my AL relatives expressed their
> > appreciation for this poem and how truly appropriate it was.

> > So, I wish to thank Jim M. and Nicola (and everyone else) for sharing
> > this poem on RCTN.  I was asked by my uncle to also extend his gratitude
> > to RCTN regarding the the "May I Go Now?" poem.  He read it beautifully
> > during my grandmother's service.  There was no way I could've read it as
> > I would've broken up sobbing because I would have had to use my voice (I
> > bet a lot of y'all know what I mean?).  I'm sure everyone at my
> > grandmother's service had a tear (or two or more) in their eyes while my
> > uncle read it - I know I did.

> > Anywhoo, I treasure RCTN and all the folk I've come to know and love
> > here.  I'm blessed by y'all's virtual presence at my side.

> > Helen (Skyhooks)
> > hmardis at uiuc dot edu

> > "reply to" address antispammed -- frog the xxx.

> > P.S.  I've included the poem below, and I've signed it "anonymous"
> > because a search on Google revealed too many different authors' names
> > attributed to it, including anonymous.

> > ++++++++++++++++++

> > May I Go Now?

> > May I go now?
> > Do you think the time is right?
> > May I say goodbye to pain filled days
> > and endless lonely nights?
> > I've lived my life and done my best,
> > an example tried to be.
> > So can I take that step beyond
> > and set my spirit free?

> > I didn't want to go at first,
> > I fought with all my might.
> > But something seems to draw me now
> > to a warm and loving light.
> > I want to go
> > I really do.
> > It's difficult to stay.

> > But I will try as best I can
> > to live just one more day.
> > To give you time to care for me
> > and share your love and fears.
> > I know you're sad and afraid,
> > because I see your tears.

> > I'll not be far,
> > I promise that, and hope you'll always know
> > that my spirit will be close to you
> > wherever you may go.
> > Thank you so for loving me.
> > You know I love you too,
> > that's why it's hard to say goodbye
> > and end this life with you.

> > So hold me now just one more time
> > and let me hear you say,
> > because you care so much for me,
> > you'll let me go today.

> > Anonymous

 
 
 

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by Susa » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:36:02


I'm so sorry to hear of your grandma's passing. :(

But I wanted to say thank you for sharing the poem again. I didn't see it the
first time, and it really means alot to me now that I've seen it. I lost my two
year old this last spring and I spent his last day <not knowing it then> just
holding him and caring for him the best I could knowing he was sick. :( Thanks
!
Susan
Louisiana

 
 
 

OT: Sad & Thanks RCTN

Post by Smallbea » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 04:00:26


Quote:

>Hello Everyone,

>On 06 January 2002, I lost my Dearest (paternal) Grandmother, Lili.  Now
>I no longer have any grandparents alive :(  She was very much the mother
>(and then some) mine never was or could've been.  Lili and I were very
>close, and I miss her terribly already.  But at 89, she was very frail,
>tired, and was so ready to go.

{{{{{{{{{{{Sky}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry Lili had to leave you, but she is now smiling down on you
from above. Did you get her the bedjacket? I hope you did so it could
warm her last days.

I know the feeling of having no grandparents. When Grandmere passed
away, it felt like I'd lost connection with a whole chunk of family
history...no one left from that generation. I know the pain of losing
a close loved one, and I just wish I could give you hugs in person
(but it's too blamed cold back there right now for me!)

Sending lots of love and warm sunny hugs your way!

Carolyn the (sad) Small Bear

Too Sisters Designs
http://www.toosisters.com