Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Post by Martina Web » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00



Hello all,

and again the treasure hunter has stroke :))
Having been on a locasl farm festival yesterday for getting a cheap
and warm stew (we didn't even know that there was that festival - came
just for the soup!!) I found on a little fleamarket the following
treasure:

A box about 20x 6x 10 cm- a kind or walnut wood or a similar wood. The
front is intricataly inlayed with mother of pearl tulips and roses
with silver wire branches -- but overpainted with some dark stains. I
will have to remove that with a q-tip and solver I think.
Now it comes: The top is like a frame with glass, and under the glass
is a piece of "paper-canvas" in a caramel colour, with a needlepoint
picture of a distant house with red roof and a garden surrounding with
bushes and flowers. More to the foreground there are fully bloomed
roses , whose centers are stitched with the utmost tiniest glass beads
I ever saw  -- MillHill petites are grapefuits compared with those!
The threads used are abviously fine wool, some silk and some (silken?)
chenille. The colours are a bit faded - though the red roof is still
very bright ,the petals of the roses (chenille thread) are only sof t
shades of greyish blue and beige.
All is done in tent stitch and very carefully stitched- no threads
show.

The paper has about 25 tiny round holes to the inch.
From the appearance of the entire box and the way it is put togehter ,
and the existence of a tiny closure at the front I would think it was
thought as a letter box once.
The inner parts had been covered with a soft paper with a (then)
silvered surface with a pattern of relief-kind diamonds. In the folds
there was still the former brightness of the silver colour to be
found.
I will now try to find out how old this treasure is - I would say it
could well be older then this century.
When I have restored it properly, I will store inside some of my "old"
treasures like wale-bone buttons and such!!
It is sitting here next me and I smile thinking what I paid for it :)

I think I have to ask a professional antique shop , but I think it
could well be older then this century.

I think I have seen somewhere pictures of such embroidery on paper
canvas, which was from the times about 1860....but I do not recall
where I have this (faint) information from.

So if there is anybody out there who knows something about the usage
of fine round-holed paper canvas in former times, plase do share your
knowledge with me!
thanks a lot!

Martina
"Chatelaine"
Duisburg/Germany
http://www.chatelaine.net ==>> FREE ornaments to download

 
 
 

Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Post by Mike & June Hube » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Now it comes: The top is like a frame with glass, and under the glass
> is a piece of "paper-canvas" in a caramel colour, with a needlepoint
> picture of a distant house with red roof and a garden surrounding with
> bushes and flowers.

> The paper has about 25 tiny round holes to the inch.

> So if there is anybody out there who knows something about the usage
> of fine round-holed paper canvas in former times, plase do share your
> knowledge with me!
> thanks a lot!

Martina,

A friend of mine has a sampler stitched on similar sounding perforated
paper. It is also caramel-colored, but has only about 16 holes to the
inch. The stitching is all cross-stitch and is a "Home Sweet Home"
sampler (or similar saying--can't remember exactly). She inherited it
from her grandmother, and as she is perhaps 40, I would think the
sampler must be at least 50 years old, if not older. My friend does not
know who actually stitched the piece or how old it is, only that it
belonged to her grandmother at one time.

Your find sounds wonderful! Please post if you find out any more about
it.

June in Houston

 
 
 

Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Post by Morgan » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00


Can it be that you are talking about stitching done on perforated paper?

It was popular around the turn of the century.  Most often in antique stores
you will find bookmarks because it lends itself well to small items.
Additionally, the Home Sweet Home sort of stitching was popular then.  I have
one schoolgirl sampler from 1871 on perforated paper.

You can buy it today at general craft stores like Michaels.  Good luck.

Marcia McCord
Sampler Stitcher - Member Clan McCord

 
 
 

Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Post by Martina Web » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
>Can it be that you are talking about stitching done on perforated paper?

That is the word ! I have squished my brains for the appropriate term,
but it was gone!!
Thanks!

Martina
"Chatelaine"
Duisburg/Germany
http://www.chatelaine.net ==>> FREE ornaments for download
http://www.chatelaine.net/privat/antique1.htm ==>> Pictures of
antiques

 
 
 

Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Post by Martina Web » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00


On Sun, 24 May 1998 09:29:01 -0500, Mike & June Huber

Quote:

>A friend of mine has a sampler stitched on similar sounding perforated
>paper. It is also caramel-colored, but has only about 16 holes to the
>inch. The stitching is all cross-stitch and is a "Home Sweet Home"
>sampler (or similar saying--can't remember exactly). She inherited it
>from her grandmother, and as she is perhaps 40, I would think the
>sampler must be at least 50 years old, if not older. My friend does not
>know who actually stitched the piece or how old it is, only that it
>belonged to her grandmother at one time.

>Your find sounds wonderful! Please post if you find out any more about
>it.

June,

as there is a little house pictured, I think it could well be
something like a "home sweet home" piece....There is no saying ,
though.
You can look at it at:

http://www.chatelaine.net/privat/antique1.htm

I will add informations to the pieces, as soon as I have reliable
infos -- do not want to write false informations :)
There will be a under-page in my home page soon , in which I display
some of the older things I have collected.
DH will have some work next weekends :))

Martina
"Chatelaine"
Duisburg/Germany
http://www.chatelaine.net  

 
 
 

Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Post by Stephanie Pete » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>I think I have seen somewhere pictures of such embroidery on paper
>canvas, which was from the times about 1860....but I do not recall
>where I have this (faint) information from.

>So if there is anybody out there who knows something about the usage
>of fine round-holed paper canvas in former times, plase do share your
>knowledge with me!
>thanks a lot!

Martina

Ich habe so etwas in eine Ausstellung gesehen.  Es ist eine Art "Berlin"
Arbeit; vielleicht hat sie eine andere Name auf Deutsch.  Meistens ist
Berlin auf Leinwand mit Wolle getan, aber es war auch auf Papier getan.
Und 1860 passt genau fuer Berlin work.

English translation:
I have seen something like this in an exhibition.  It is a type of
"Berlin" work; perhaps it has another name in German.  Mostly Berlin
work is done on canvas with wool, but it was also done on paper.  And
1860 is the right date for Berlin work.

Steph Peters, Manchester, England
email: delete REMOVE_NOSPAM from

Tatting, lace & stitching page http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/
#cyclist on #stitch

 
 
 

Old needlepoint on old paper canvas...help with age ,please!

Post by Caroline Kloezema » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00


Hi Martina,

I think I know what this box could be.
I have a subscription for a dutch magazine which last issue had
an article on what is called 'album amicorum'.
I don't know what it is called in english but over here young girls
will collect verses from friends in a 'poesie-album', nice texts and
poems in a book, embellished with special pictures.
    "Roses will fade, ships will sink,
        but our friendship will always be there" and such.
Apparently, the album amicorum is the 19th century version
of such a poesie-album.

In the magazine it is described as a box about the size you mention,
with loose pages in it, whicb you would pass out to friends so that they
would make a friendly contribution to your album amicorum (i.e.
friendship
album).
The pages could be returned with a text (say a friendly note of
appreciation),
or more intricately worked with -here it comes- needlepoint pictures on
perforated
paper. Very popular apparently in the 19th century (berlin woolwork etc),
so the paper
version for friends seems very logical to me.
The article also mentiones the chenille thread as embellishments to such
pages.

It sounds to me like you have a box that held these kinds of pages!
And a very beautiful one at that! The magazine (Handwerken zonder
Grenzen,
issue 2/1998, apparently there is a german counterpart called Ornamente)
had some photo's of antique boxes and their contents but none of them had
such an
intricate top as you describe.

Although you don't mention them, I'm curious: were there any pages in it
when you got it?

Also, final note: the magazine has challenged readers to produce their
own album amicorum,
and enter them in their contest. (Awards and prizes are still being
discussed.)
(By the way besides my subscription I'm not affiliated etc...)
If  you're interested, let me know.

Caroline Kloezeman
-- Visit my 'Embroidery in the Netherlands' pages at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~retort/index.html

<snip>

Quote:
> A box about 20x 6x 10 cm- a kind or walnut wood or a similar wood.

<snip>

Quote:
> Now it comes: The top is like a frame with glass, and under the glass
> is a piece of "paper-canvas" in a caramel colour, with a needlepoint
> picture of a distant house with red roof and a garden surrounding with
> bushes and flowers. More to the foreground there are fully bloomed
> roses , whose centers are stitched with the utmost tiniest glass beads
> I ever saw  -- MillHill petites are grapefuits compared with those!
> The threads used are abviously fine wool, some silk and some (silken?)
> chenille. The colours are a bit faded - though the red roof is still
> very bright ,the petals of the roses (chenille thread) are only sof t
> shades of greyish blue and beige.
> All is done in tent stitch and very carefully stitched- no threads
> show.

> The paper has about 25 tiny round holes to the inch.
> From the appearance of the entire box and the way it is put togehter ,
> and the existence of a tiny closure at the front I would think it was
> thought as a letter box once.

<snip>

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> Martina
> "Chatelaine"
> Duisburg/Germany
> http://www.chatelaine.net ==>> FREE ornaments to download