Euro note signatures

Euro note signatures

Post by Arwel Parr » Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:14:53



You have to have sympathy for Jean-Claude Trichet -- there was a big row
over whether he should become President of the European Central Bank
last year, and now the Berlin police have had to issue a press release
to assure people that banknotes bearing his signature are genuine.

Because of the huge quantity of notes that had to be produced for the
currency changeover nearly 3 years ago, most notes in circulation still
bear the signature of his predecessor, Wim Duisenberg. People have just
started noticing that a few of the notes now have a new signature, and
have been reporting them as suspected duds.

http://www.berlin.de/polizei/Presse/archiv/22663/index.html (in German)

Just to be safe, the press release concludes with a note that the
Duisenberg notes remain valid....

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/

 
 
 

Euro note signatures

Post by Dik T. Winte » Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:03:20


...
 > Because of the huge quantity of notes that had to be produced for the
 > currency changeover nearly 3 years ago, most notes in circulation still
 > bear the signature of his predecessor, Wim Duisenberg. People have just
 > started noticing that a few of the notes now have a new signature, and
 > have been reporting them as suspected duds.
 >
 > http://www.berlin.de/polizei/Presse/archiv/22663/index.html (in German)
 >
 > Just to be safe, the press release concludes with a note that the
 > Duisenberg notes remain valid....

Strange.  The people never noticed that the signatures on Mark notes have
also changed in the course of the years?  As far as I know there have been
five different signatures on the 10 Mark note.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland; http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/

 
 
 

Euro note signatures

Post by Christian Feldha » Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:33:32



Quote:
> Strange.  The people never noticed that the signatures on Mark notes
> have also changed in the course of the years?

Guess it is a little different this time. When I posted pretty much the

europa.union.euro a day earlier, I was tempted to add a comment about
those odd Berliners <g>. Don't know if that is a "problem" particularly
in that state/city or elsewhere too, but I suppose it has something to
do with the euro cash information campaign and the problem of
counterfeits.

People "learned" to watch out for certain security features, and now
noticed that some notes were somehow different from all the notes they
have been using since Jan-2002. Guess that after a while those who
actually suspected they might be fake will see more "Trichet notes" and
won't worry any more :-)

Christian

 
 
 

Euro note signatures

Post by Dik T. Winte » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:12:15


...
 > People "learned" to watch out for certain security features, and now
 > noticed that some notes were somehow different from all the notes they
 > have been using since Jan-2002. Guess that after a while those who
 > actually suspected they might be fake will see more "Trichet notes" and
 > won't worry any more :-)

It might be (we have none here in house at this moment, but that is because
we are in the Netherlands, no doubt).

However, all campaigns I have seen on the security features also mention
what some of the security features are.  And the signature is definitely
*not* one of the security features.  (As I understand it, not all
security features are revealed to the public, so as not to alert
falsifiers.)
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland; http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/

 
 
 

Euro note signatures

Post by Christian Feldha » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:04:24



Quote:
> It might be (we have none here in house at this moment, but that is because
> we are in the Netherlands, no doubt).

I have not seen, well, noticed any either. But if we keep in mind that
(of the denomination mentioned in the article, the 10 note) about 5.3
billion notes were made in and before 2003 while the planned production
for 2004 is 378 million notes, Trichet's "underrepresentation" at this
stage does not come as a surprise ...

Quote:
> However, all campaigns I have seen on the security features also mention
> what some of the security features are.  And the signature is definitely
> *not* one of the security features.  (As I understand it, not all security
> features are revealed to the public, so as not to alert falsifiers.)

Absolutely right, and I did not intend to suggest the contrary :-) What
I meant was that these people who actually took those supposed
counterfeits to the police, simply watched out for odd features. And
what is different, I think, is that on the DM notes the signatures of
the president and the VP corresponded with the date. Don't remember the
details, but a note with the signatures of P?hl and Schlesinger and a
1993 date, for example, must be fake ... The euro notes, however, simply
say ? 2002 no matter when a note was made.

Christian