Question on SBA Dollars

Question on SBA Dollars

Post by Greig Toole » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00



Can anyone advise me on how to tell the difference between Variety I and
Variety II for the 1979 and 1981 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars?

Thanks!
gjt

 
 
 

Question on SBA Dollars

Post by John Alman - ANA LM #45 » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00


Quote:


>Subject: Question on SBA Dollars
>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 06:51:51 -0500
>Can anyone advise me on how to tell the difference between Variety I and
>Variety II for the 1979 and 1981 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars?
>Thanks!
>gjt

Both the 79 & 81 TY I have the "S" filled in and as a result it looks like a
blob. The Ty-2 have a clear "S".

John
-------
Contact us at Gulf Coast Coin and Jewelry
P.O.Box 27115, El Jobean, Florida 33927 U.S.A.
Tel: (941) 255-8252  Fax: (941) 627-9557

WWW: http://www.golden.net/~vargamz/rarecoin.htm

 
 
 

Question on SBA Dollars

Post by Mike or Karen Lock » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> Can anyone advise me on how to tell the difference between Variety I and
> Variety II for the 1979 and 1981 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars?

This oughta be in the FAQ.  Chuck D'Ambra, are you listening?

1979-S type 1 proofs have a blob of a mint mark.  1979-S
type 2 proofs have a nice sharp mint mark, the same as you
see on 1980-S proofs.  The recesses of a 1979-S type 2 proof
may be filled or clear, the 1979-S type 1 proofs general
have the recesses of the S filled (on the coin, not the die).
The difference between these two is pretty obvious under 6x
magnification.

1981-S type 1 proofs have that same sharp mint mark as
1979-S type 2 proofs, although the punch is a bit more worn.
1981-S type 2 proofs have a different sharp mint mark with
larger serifs and an assymetric shape.  Either of these mint
marks may have filled or clear recesses.  The difference between
these two is a little difficult to ID, and a side-by-side
comparison is recommended along with a 10x magnifier, to be
sure.  Just remember that all 1980-S proofs have the same mm
as the 1981-S type 1 proofs.

--

                  Most things worth doing aren't easy.

Mike is EAC #4357, LSCC #1636, JRCS #841, ANA #R-170301, CCS #F11, SPPN

Visit our home page http://www.rahul.net/karenml for a coin book review,
coin want list, coin for sale list, 20th century US coin hub list, and
California fractional gold attribution/price guide.

 
 
 

Question on SBA Dollars

Post by Chuck D'Ambr » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00



Quote:


> > Can anyone advise me on how to tell the difference between Variety I and
> > Variety II for the 1979 and 1981 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars?

> This oughta be in the FAQ.  Chuck D'Ambra, are you listening?

Lurking and listening, yes.

That would be new territory for the FAQ, but given how frequently
it's being asked, sounds like it'd be a good addition.  The only
problem is there seems to be some disagreement on the correct
diagnostics for the 1981 type 2.  I'd like to see a consensus
first.

--
Chuck D'Ambra
spam blocker in the message headers - replace dev.null with
telesphere.com to reply via e-mail.

Web site address:  http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins
Home of the Coin Collecting FAQ.

 
 
 

Question on SBA Dollars

Post by Aram H. Haroutuni » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00


This is simply not true!!!!  Please do some research before posting
silly answers like this one!!!  We just finished a rather involved
thread on this very subject.  Gino apologized for his mistake, which
was almost exactly like your "explanation."  We do not need anyone to
muddy the waters with silliness.  Sorry for flying off the handle, but
your posts seem to be the answers not of an experienced numismatist,
but guesses of a newbie.  Sheesh!  Aram (Bustpoet)
=====================================

Quote:


>>Subject: Question on SBA Dollars
>>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 06:51:51 -0500
>>Can anyone advise me on how to tell the difference between Variety I and
>>Variety II for the 1979 and 1981 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars?
>>Thanks!
>>gjt
>Both the 79 & 81 TY I have the "S" filled in and as a result it looks like a
>blob. The Ty-2 have a clear "S".
>John
>-------
>Contact us at Gulf Coast Coin and Jewelry
>P.O.Box 27115, El Jobean, Florida 33927 U.S.A.
>Tel: (941) 255-8252  Fax: (941) 627-9557

>WWW: http://www.golden.net/~vargamz/rarecoin.htm

 
 
 

Question on SBA Dollars

Post by Herb Schmit » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00


Regardless of their pricing structure, one good thing "Southern
Investments" (the coin dealer) has going for it is a *GREAT* comparison
photograph at the back of their catalog. Seems Ive also seen these
photos somewhere else also.
Herb Schmitt

Quote:


> > > Can anyone advise me on how to tell the difference between Variety I and
> > > Variety II for the 1979 and 1981 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars?

> > This oughta be in the FAQ.  Chuck D'Ambra, are you listening?

> Lurking and listening, yes.

 
 
 

Question on SBA Dollars

Post by John Bordne » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00


I have looked at many SBA proofs and have found that there may have been in
my opinion 4 punches used.  Any input will be appreciated.  I will explain
my findings below:

1979-S Proof Type I-The "S' is a blob, probably from a well worn punch
(also used on business strikes) (also called filled "S").

1979-S Proof Type II-The "S" is very clear and well rounded.  The bottom
tail of the "S" appears to be away from the center loop just a little more
than the top extremity (also called clear "S").

1981-S Proof Type I-The "S" is very distinguishable in the fact that it
looks like a figure "8" with both extremities filled between the center of
the "S" (but not always).  The Redbook list this as the same punch as the
79-S Type II but I'm not exactly sure if this is true.  Could this be a
worn punch from the 79-80 coins or is this a new punch? (also used on
business strikes) (also called filled "S").

1981-S Proof Type II-The "S" is not well rounded and the center loop
appears to be straight rather than curved.  The extremities appear to be
heavier at the ends and more so on the bottom.  The extremities are usually
open from the center (but not always).  When looking at the bottom
extremity of the "S" it appears to go beyond the upper curve of the "S".
(also called clear "S").

In my opinion the confussion between the 1981-S type I and II being clear
or filled comes from how hard the punch was struck or how much the punch
was worn.  The two "S's" are distinctly different and this should be the
determining factor.
John



Quote:


> > > Can anyone advise me on how to tell the difference between Variety I
and
> > > Variety II for the 1979 and 1981 Susan B. Anthony Proof Dollars?

> > This oughta be in the FAQ.  Chuck D'Ambra, are you listening?

> Lurking and listening, yes.

> That would be new territory for the FAQ, but given how frequently
> it's being asked, sounds like it'd be a good addition.  The only
> problem is there seems to be some disagreement on the correct
> diagnostics for the 1981 type 2.  I'd like to see a consensus
> first.

> --
> Chuck D'Ambra
> spam blocker in the message headers - replace dev.null with
> telesphere.com to reply via e-mail.

> Web site address:  http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins
> Home of the Coin Collecting FAQ.