Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by TomDeLor » Fri, 03 May 2002 02:39:29



One of the dealers on COINNET complained that after he waited 45 minutes on the
phone for a person to take his order, he was told that he could only order 10
sets and that he would be charged $3.95 shipping per set.
.
I ordered 50 sets online for the store, and it took the full order and only
charged $3.95 shipping for the entire order. Of course, orders can be cut back
leter, as we all know.
.
Anybody order by phone, and if so was there a 10-set limit and/or a $3.95 per
set shipping charge?
Tom DeLorey
TomDeLorey
.
Owner of the world second-finest collection of the Coins of the Republic of
Honduras from 1832-1922, as if ANYBODY gave a rat's patoot......
 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Duncan81 » Fri, 03 May 2002 03:18:35


In response:

Part A:
I just ordered two sets on line and was charged just $3.95 for both -- although
I was disappointed to pay even that because the policy before had been to waive
shipping fees on online orders -- I just called customer service to inquire and
they said the policy change happened 4/19.

 I guess my last order (2 proof 1999 SBAs) just slid in under the wire.

Part B:
Now going OFF TOPIC--but still COIN RELATED.
    Incidentally, does anyone know why these weren't included in the 1999 proof
sets?  Also, the Red Book says that the 1999s were made "to meet the needs of
vending machines" but IIRC I read somewhere that we had tons of SBAs stockpiled
somewhere because nobody liked them.  The other explanation I heard is that
they anticipated a renewed interest in them with the anticipated release of the
Golden Dollar in 2000.  Never saw any in circulation though.

Dunc

of the CoinCachers

PS.  I "Googled" (is that a verb?) myself and this is my fourth post EVER to
this newsgroup -- three were in the past 24 hours but number one was way back
in 5/2000 during my last ebay coin shopping spree -- that's okay nobody read my
story then either ;-) Interesting to note though that many of the names are
still the same.

Quote:

>Date: 5/1/02 1:39 PM Eastern


on
Quote:
>the
>phone for a person to take his order, he was told that he could only order 10
>sets and that he would be charged $3.95 shipping per set.
>.
>I ordered 50 sets online for the store, and it took the full order and only
>charged $3.95 shipping for the entire order. Of course, orders can be cut
>back
>leter, as we all know.
>.
>Anybody order by phone, and if so was there a 10-set limit and/or a $3.95 per
>set shipping charge?
>Tom DeLorey
>TomDeLorey
>.
>Owner of the world second-finest collection of the Coins of the Republic of
>Honduras from 1832-1922, as if ANYBODY gave a rat's patoot......


 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Bob Flamini » Fri, 03 May 2002 03:28:27



Quote:
>  I guess my last order (2 proof 1999 SBAs) just slid in under the
wire.

> Part B:
> Now going OFF TOPIC--but still COIN RELATED.
>     Incidentally, does anyone know why these weren't included in the
1999 proof
> sets?  Also, the Red Book says that the 1999s were made "to meet the
needs of
> vending machines" but IIRC I read somewhere that we had tons of SBAs
stockpiled
> somewhere because nobody liked them.

"had" being the operative word there. Even though there was extreme
dislike toward the SBAs, they were still being used. That's the main
reason the Golden Dollar came into existence -- because they were
running out of SBAs. They SBAs ran out a little too soon, and more had
to be minted in 1999. Unfortunately, this was after all the 1999 proof
and mint sets were created, so the 1999 SBA could not be included with
those sets.

-Bob

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Chuck D'Amb » Fri, 03 May 2002 03:33:09



Quote:

> One of the dealers on COINNET complained that after he waited 45 minutes
on the
> phone for a person to take his order, he was told that he could only order 10
> sets and that he would be charged $3.95 shipping per set.
> .
> I ordered 50 sets online for the store, and it took the full order and only
> charged $3.95 shipping for the entire order. Of course, orders can be cut back
> leter, as we all know.
> .
> Anybody order by phone, and if so was there a 10-set limit and/or a $3.95 per
> set shipping charge?

Placed an order by phone today.  Ordered fewer than 10 of each set (10
coin clad and 5 state quarters) plus a 2000 coin bag of 2002-P notgold
dollars.  There was a single $3.95 shipping charge for everything, as
expected.

Subsequently received an e-mail from the Mint acknowledging the order and
saying the dollar coins are back ordered.  Looks like the Mint has resumed
their bad habit of drawing interest free loans.

--
Chuck D'Ambra
Remove CAPITALIZED LETTERS from address if replying by e-mail.
Web site:  http://www.telesphere.com
Buying and selling coins over the Internet since 1993.

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Duncan81 » Fri, 03 May 2002 04:35:41


Quote:


>>  I guess my last order (2 proof 1999 SBAs) just slid in under the
>wire.

>> Part B:
>> Now going OFF TOPIC--but still COIN RELATED.
>>     Incidentally, does anyone know why these weren't included in the
>1999 proof
>> sets?  Also, the Red Book says that the 1999s were made "to meet the
>needs of
>> vending machines" but IIRC I read somewhere that we had tons of SBAs
>stockpiled
>> somewhere because nobody liked them.


Quote:
>Date: 5/1/02 2:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>"had" being the operative word there. Even though there was extreme
>dislike toward the SBAs, they were still being used. That's the main
>reason the Golden Dollar came into existence -- because they were
>running out of SBAs. They SBAs ran out a little too soon, and more had
>to be minted in 1999. Unfortunately, this was after all the 1999 proof
>and mint sets were created, so the 1999 SBA could not be included with
>those sets.

>-Bob

Thank you for this informative reply.  Now I'm curious why they chose to do the
SBA proofs as P(hila)s (which I ASSuME have a circulated counterpart) as
opposed to S(anFran)s like all of the other Proofs.  ALSO -- now I have to
figure out where to get circulated 1999 SBAs as my credit union refuses to
order any "odd" coins and the stamp machines now ONLY have 2000P Golden
Dollars.

Golden Dollar Story:
...  so my credit union is mad at me because I insist all of these coins --
SBA, Golden Dollar,and even the halves I bring home from the *** to go
through -- are actually REAL MONEY and they refuse to order any for me (saying
that I am the only one that wants them!).  SO, I've been getting my Golden
Dollars for spending at the post office -- you know, put in a $20 and buy a
single stamp and get 19 Golden Dollars and maybe a State Quarter plus change.
So apparently I'm not the only one doing this (proving that I am NOT the only
one that wants them!) and they got tired of restocking the machine, so they
revamped the machine so the smallest thing you can buy is 10 stamps for $3.40.
To get single stamps they put in a WHOLE OTHER MACHINE that doesn't take
anything larger than a dollar.   Well apparently I use more Golden Dollars than
stamps (could this be a new index -- the GD:stamp ratio?) and have, like,  10
mos worth of stamps so now I actually have to go to the (ugh!) Mall across town
where they still have a machine where you can buy a single stamp with a twenty.
 Oh, the hoops you have to jump through...

Dunc

of the CoinCachers

No longer invisible.

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Dale Hallmar » Fri, 03 May 2002 04:55:36



Quote:


> > One of the dealers on COINNET complained that after he waited 45 minutes
> on the
> > phone for a person to take his order, he was told that he could only
order 10
> > sets and that he would be charged $3.95 shipping per set.
> > .
> > I ordered 50 sets online for the store, and it took the full order and
only
> > charged $3.95 shipping for the entire order. Of course, orders can be
cut back
> > leter, as we all know.
> > .
> > Anybody order by phone, and if so was there a 10-set limit and/or a
$3.95 per
> > set shipping charge?

> Placed an order by phone today.  Ordered fewer than 10 of each set (10
> coin clad and 5 state quarters) plus a 2000 coin bag of 2002-P notgold
> dollars.  There was a single $3.95 shipping charge for everything, as
> expected.

> Subsequently received an e-mail from the Mint acknowledging the order and
> saying the dollar coins are back ordered.  Looks like the Mint has resumed
> their bad habit of drawing interest free loans.

> --
> Chuck D'Ambra
> Remove CAPITALIZED LETTERS from address if replying by e-mail.
> Web site:  http://www.telesphere.com
> Buying and selling coins over the Internet since 1993.

Ordered 4, 2002 Proof Sets, no problem.
$3.95 S&H

Dale

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Anthony Carlisl » Fri, 03 May 2002 07:19:06


I just ordered proof sets and sac rolls on-line as well. I recall
seeing the 2002 Sac (P) marked as "backordered" before I placed the
order. In fact, on the Golden Dollar page in the on-line product
catalog in big, bright red type, is "Product will be available for
shipping 04/29/2002." Of course, that is yesterday's date!


Quote:



> > One of the dealers on COINNET complained that after he waited 45 minutes
> on the
> > phone for a person to take his order, he was told that he could only order
> > 10
> > sets and that he would be charged $3.95 shipping per set.
> > .
> > I ordered 50 sets online for the store, and it took the full order and only
> > charged $3.95 shipping for the entire order. Of course, orders can be cut
> > back
> > leter, as we all know.
> > .
> > Anybody order by phone, and if so was there a 10-set limit and/or a $3.95
> > per
> > set shipping charge?

> Placed an order by phone today.  Ordered fewer than 10 of each set (10
> coin clad and 5 state quarters) plus a 2000 coin bag of 2002-P notgold
> dollars.  There was a single $3.95 shipping charge for everything, as
> expected.

> Subsequently received an e-mail from the Mint acknowledging the order and
> saying the dollar coins are back ordered.  Looks like the Mint has resumed
> their bad habit of drawing interest free loans.

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by John Maso » Fri, 03 May 2002 07:23:38


Quote:

> In response:

> Part A:
> I just ordered two sets on line and was charged just $3.95 for both -- although
> I was disappointed to pay even that because the policy before had been to waive
> shipping fees on online orders -- I just called customer service to inquire and
> they said the policy change happened 4/19.

Got my order in this morning for a couple of Proof sets and a couple of States
quarter sets. I goofed and it came out as 2 separate orders. Only when i got my
confirmation email did I realize the 3/95 shipping charge. Well I got right on to
the phone and questioned them on this and the guy told me of the policy change on
4/19. He did however cancel my order for the Proof sets and combine them with the
Quarter sets so I only have to pay 3.95 for (4) sets of coins. I wonder what the
reason was for charging the shipping all of a sudden? I guess once they got us all
hooked on ordering online and not tying up the phone lines or them having to open
envelopes, they could just sneak this right on in.What everyone should do is start
mailing them in again and calling in orders and put them back at square one. I
don't mind paying some shipping, but 3.95 is just to much for this amount that I
ordered. Now if I was ordering 20-30 sets at a time, I could see a 3.95 charge, but
not on this low of an amount.
--
Your Friend in Gold Mining.................John

Artifical Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by David Hamilto » Fri, 03 May 2002 07:25:28


I was aware of the change in the shipping charge for online orders.
for my own little protest,  If there is no incentive to order on line
I won't.  As long as they charge the same for phone as online orders,
I will use the phone.
Dave

------------------------------------

Quote:
>Part A:
>I just ordered two sets on line and was charged just $3.95 for both -- although
>I was disappointed to pay even that because the policy before had been to waive
>shipping fees on online orders -- I just called customer service to inquire and
>they said the policy change happened 4/19.

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Jerry Denn » Fri, 03 May 2002 13:25:18


Check with the vault managers at some of the other banks in your area.  The
last time I checked with mine, the main branch still had bank wrapped, uncirc
1999-Ps.


mentioned that the 1999 proof sets were "illegal" because the 1999 proof Suzie
wasn't included, making the 1999 proof sets errors and "RARE!"  (Here we go
again.)  :-)  

Jerry

"Duncan" (who is no longer invisible) writes:

<<partially snipped>>

Quote:
> ALSO -- now I have to
>figure out where to get circulated 1999 SBAs as my credit union refuses to
>order any "odd" coins and the stamp machines now ONLY have 2000P Golden
>Dollars.

 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by TomDeLor » Fri, 03 May 2002 13:41:13


Quote:
>Subject: Re: Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

>Date: 5/1/2002 2:35 PM Central Daylight Time


<snip>

Quote:

>Thank you for this informative reply.  Now I'm curious why they chose to do
>the
>SBA proofs as P(hila)s (which I ASSuME have a circulated counterpart) as
>opposed to S(anFran)s like all of the other Proofs.  ALSO -- now I have to
>figure out where to get circulated 1999 SBAs as my credit union refuses to
>order any "odd" coins and the stamp machines now ONLY have 2000P Golden
>Dollars.

I do know know, but suspect that they did the Proof 1999 Suzies with a P mint
mark so that people who had bought 9-coin S-mint proof sets earlier in the year
would not complain that they had not gotten a "complete" year-1999 S-mint Proof
set. Just a guess on my part. May just as well have been that they did not want
to bother shipping blanks and collars to Frisco for a short, one-time run.
Tom DeLorey
TomDeLorey
.
Owner of the world second-finest collection of the Coins of the Republic of
Honduras from 1832-1922, as if ANYBODY gave a rat's patoot......
 
 
 

Anybody having trouble ordering 2002 Proof sets?

Post by Fred Shecte » Fri, 03 May 2002 21:46:04


I've just loaded a few rolls of 1999-D SBAs onto eBay. Fairly low starting bid. See if any
of the auctions are low enough to bid on. Thanks.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=shre...

-Fred Shecter
http://www.cafepress.com/babyback

--
Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.


Quote:
> Check with the vault managers at some of the other banks in your area.  The
> last time I checked with mine, the main branch still had bank wrapped, uncirc
> 1999-Ps.


> mentioned that the 1999 proof sets were "illegal" because the 1999 proof Suzie
> wasn't included, making the 1999 proof sets errors and "RARE!"  (Here we go
> again.)  :-)

> Jerry

> "Duncan" (who is no longer invisible) writes:

> <<partially snipped>>

> > ALSO -- now I have to
> >figure out where to get circulated 1999 SBAs as my credit union refuses to
> >order any "odd" coins and the stamp machines now ONLY have 2000P Golden
> >Dollars.