Most hoarded Coin in America

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Alan & Erin William » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:16:13



If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
most often?

As an issue, that is, percentage of households that had one?

In total, the greatest number in hiding?

The reason I ask?  Yesterday I got a coin in change that I typically see
only once or twice a year.

Alan
'a rump pah pum pum'

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Ksu93d » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:18:53


The "new" dollar coin?

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Dale Hallmar » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:35:09



Quote:
> If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
> know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
> by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
> most often?

> As an issue, that is, percentage of households that had one?

> In total, the greatest number in hiding?

> The reason I ask?  Yesterday I got a coin in change that I typically see
> only once or twice a year.

> Alan
> 'a rump pah pum pum'

1976 Washington Quarter?

Dale

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Alan & Erin William » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:30:04


Quote:

> The "new" dollar coin?

That's a definite candidate.  Like the Bicentennial $2 note, it was
released and vanished.  I spend my Sacabucks, but many times when I do,
the cashier asks "Do you really want to use this?" as though I had just
handed him a $20 Gold Piece. ;-/

Even the SBAs I get from 'Post Office Slot Machines' are greeted that
way...as though I need to make a keepsake of a circulated 1979 SBA!

I think that many households intentionally hoard the Sacabuck.

Alan
'papoose pile'

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Alan & Erin William » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:32:49


Quote:



> > If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
> > know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
> > by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
> > most often?

> > As an issue, that is, percentage of households that had one?

> > In total, the greatest number in hiding?

> > The reason I ask?  Yesterday I got a coin in change that I typically see
> > only once or twice a year.

> > Alan
> > 'a rump pah pum pum'

> 1976 Washington Quarter?

That's what sparked my curiousity.  I got a Bicentennial Quarter, which
is damned rare in actual circulation compared to the other Washington
issues, especially when the massive mintage is considered.  They are
hiding somewhere because the silver dime and the 1976 quarter are equal
in frequency in my 2003 pocket change.

Alan
'Look, Ethel!'

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Bruce Hickmo » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:33:17


On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:30:04 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams

Quote:

>> The "new" dollar coin?

>That's a definite candidate.  Like the Bicentennial $2 note, it was
>released and vanished.  I spend my Sacabucks, but many times when I do,
>the cashier asks "Do you really want to use this?" as though I had just
>handed him a $20 Gold Piece. ;-/

>Even the SBAs I get from 'Post Office Slot Machines' are greeted that
>way...as though I need to make a keepsake of a circulated 1979 SBA!

>I think that many households intentionally hoard the Sacabuck.

>Alan
>'papoose pile'

Kennedy halves. Most people seem to think they stopped making them in the 1960's
and everybody seems to think they're all silver.

Bruce

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Alan & Erin William » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:38:36


Quote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:30:04 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams


> >> The "new" dollar coin?

> >That's a definite candidate.  Like the Bicentennial $2 note, it was
> >released and vanished.  I spend my Sacabucks, but many times when I do,
> >the cashier asks "Do you really want to use this?" as though I had just
> >handed him a $20 Gold Piece. ;-/

> >Even the SBAs I get from 'Post Office Slot Machines' are greeted that
> >way...as though I need to make a keepsake of a circulated 1979 SBA!

> >I think that many households intentionally hoard the Sacabuck.

> >Alan
> >'papoose pile'

> Kennedy halves. Most people seem to think they stopped making them in the 1960's
> and everybody seems to think they're all silver.

> Bruce

They didn't? They're not??  ;-)

I didn't consider the Half Dollar, and I'm willing to bet most people
don;t either.  It's the one coin most likely to be rejected by cashiers
as 'not legal tender' in my experience.  There are obviously great
vanished piles of these since they do not circulate, stores do not give
them as change, typically.  But I think those piles are at the Federal
Reserve and My Local Bank's vault.  

In a house to house search, I'd bet on the Half to finish near the
bottom in both total numbers and percentage of households.  

Alan
'mythical census'

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Dale Hallmar » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:50:07




Quote:



> > > If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
> > > know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
> > > by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
> > > most often?

> > > As an issue, that is, percentage of households that had one?

> > > In total, the greatest number in hiding?

> > > The reason I ask?  Yesterday I got a coin in change that I typically see
> > > only once or twice a year.

> > > Alan
> > > 'a rump pah pum pum'

> > 1976 Washington Quarter?

> That's what sparked my curiousity.  I got a Bicentennial Quarter, which
> is damned rare in actual circulation compared to the other Washington
> issues, especially when the massive mintage is considered.  They are
> hiding somewhere because the silver dime and the 1976 quarter are equal
> in frequency in my 2003 pocket change.

> Alan
> 'Look, Ethel!'

I get a few in rolls from the bank occasionally but I don't
even remember the last time I got one in change.  I can always use a few
for introductory trades and often don't have as many as I can use.

Dale
refuses to buy 1976 Washington Quarters :-)

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Dale Hallmar » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:53:15




Quote:

> > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:30:04 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams


> > >> The "new" dollar coin?

> > >That's a definite candidate.  Like the Bicentennial $2 note, it was
> > >released and vanished.  I spend my Sacabucks, but many times when I do,
> > >the cashier asks "Do you really want to use this?" as though I had just
> > >handed him a $20 Gold Piece. ;-/

> > >Even the SBAs I get from 'Post Office Slot Machines' are greeted that
> > >way...as though I need to make a keepsake of a circulated 1979 SBA!

> > >I think that many households intentionally hoard the Sacabuck.

> > >Alan
> > >'papoose pile'

> > Kennedy halves. Most people seem to think they stopped making them in the 1960's
> > and everybody seems to think they're all silver.

> > Bruce

> They didn't? They're not??  ;-)

> I didn't consider the Half Dollar, and I'm willing to bet most people
> don;t either.  It's the one coin most likely to be rejected by cashiers
> as 'not legal tender' in my experience.  There are obviously great
> vanished piles of these since they do not circulate, stores do not give
> them as change, typically.  But I think those piles are at the Federal
> Reserve and My Local Bank's vault.

> In a house to house search, I'd bet on the Half to finish near the
> bottom in both total numbers and percentage of households.

> Alan
> 'mythical census'

And I bet you don't get one in circulation, ...." typically see
only once or twice a year."

Dale

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Bruce Hickmo » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:47:12


On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:38:36 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams

Quote:

>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:30:04 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams


>> >> The "new" dollar coin?

>> >That's a definite candidate.  Like the Bicentennial $2 note, it was
>> >released and vanished.  I spend my Sacabucks, but many times when I do,
>> >the cashier asks "Do you really want to use this?" as though I had just
>> >handed him a $20 Gold Piece. ;-/

>> >Even the SBAs I get from 'Post Office Slot Machines' are greeted that
>> >way...as though I need to make a keepsake of a circulated 1979 SBA!

>> >I think that many households intentionally hoard the Sacabuck.

>> >Alan
>> >'papoose pile'

>> Kennedy halves. Most people seem to think they stopped making them in the 1960's
>> and everybody seems to think they're all silver.

>> Bruce

>They didn't? They're not??  ;-)

>I didn't consider the Half Dollar, and I'm willing to bet most people
>don;t either.  It's the one coin most likely to be rejected by cashiers
>as 'not legal tender' in my experience.  There are obviously great
>vanished piles of these since they do not circulate, stores do not give
>them as change, typically.  But I think those piles are at the Federal
>Reserve and My Local Bank's vault.  

>In a house to house search, I'd bet on the Half to finish near the
>bottom in both total numbers and percentage of households.  

>Alan
>'mythical census'

Maybe I was confused by the massive pile of kennedy halves I just found. That
pile was likely started by my parents and I got it amongst other things when my
Mom died. Just kinda sat in the box for the last 10 years or so. Fwiw, out of
200 halves there were two 1964's and ten dated before 1968. Almost all of the
hord was 1968 or 1969.

Bruce (Tip money)

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Kaleb KEITHLE » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:59:24


Nah, it's a trick question. It's that hoard of pennies, er, cents on the
dresser, in the coffee can, and the five gallon water bottle.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY

Quote:



>>If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
>>know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
>>by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
>>most often?

>>As an issue, that is, percentage of households that had one?

>>In total, the greatest number in hiding?

>>The reason I ask?  Yesterday I got a coin in change that I typically see
>>only once or twice a year.

>>Alan
>>'a rump pah pum pum'

> 1976 Washington Quarter?

> Dale

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Bob Gilreat » Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:09:52



Quote:
> If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
> know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
> by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
> most often?

It would have to be the lincoln cent.

I rarely go into a house without seeing a jar of cents somewhere.

I myself have bags of them that I go thru to find errors.

Thhis answer might change if you stipulated collectors houses,
but you left it general so I would have to say the lincoln cent.

Every one has a batch of them laying around somewhere, on purpose or not.

Bob

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Alan & Erin William » Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:15:16


Quote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:38:36 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams

> >I didn't consider the Half Dollar, and I'm willing to bet most people
> >don;t either.  It's the one coin most likely to be rejected by cashiers
> >as 'not legal tender' in my experience.  There are obviously great
> >vanished piles of these since they do not circulate, stores do not give
> >them as change, typically.  But I think those piles are at the Federal
> >Reserve and My Local Bank's vault.

> >In a house to house search, I'd bet on the Half to finish near the
> >bottom in both total numbers and percentage of households.

> >Alan
> >'mythical census'

> Maybe I was confused by the massive pile of kennedy halves I just found. That
> pile was likely started by my parents and I got it amongst other things when my
> Mom died. Just kinda sat in the box for the last 10 years or so. Fwiw, out of
> 200 halves there were two 1964's and ten dated before 1968. Almost all of the
> hord was 1968 or 1969.

A data point!  Thanks, Bruce. ;-)

Maybe I'm wrong.  I've never considered the private hoarding of Half
Dollars to be likely.  I think anecdotal evidence of 'heirloom' coinage
is useful.  I mean, there must be Buffalo nickels and Barber dimes all
over America in some old soldier's 'Grouch Bag' just waiting to passed on...

Alan
'fortune in Franklins'

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Alan & Erin William » Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:19:39


Quote:


> > If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
> > know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
> > by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
> > most often?

> It would have to be the lincoln cent.

> I rarely go into a house without seeing a jar of cents somewhere.

> I myself have bags of them that I go thru to find errors.

> Thhis answer might change if you stipulated collectors houses,
> but you left it general so I would have to say the lincoln cent.

> Every one has a batch of them laying around somewhere, on purpose or not.

> Bob

No argument, there!  But I'm going to set aside the issue of
'unintentional hoarding' for time being, lest the answer be the 1979
Lincoln Cent.  I'm curious as to which coin/coins Americans are most
likely to take home and stash, believing that it has an advancement
potential, or is a neat curiousity or potential heirloom.  Statehood
Quarters, for instance.  I've noticed that non-collectors over the age
of 70 seem to think the SQs are destined for greatness.

Alan
'saving 'em for the kids'

 
 
 

Most hoarded Coin in America

Post by Michael G. Koerne » Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:05:07


Quote:






> > > > If you were invested with carte blanche investigatory powers by John "I
> > > > know what you did last summer" Ashcroft, and could conduct a household
> > > > by household search of the entire Hew Ess Hay, which coin would you find
> > > > most often?

> > > > As an issue, that is, percentage of households that had one?

> > > > In total, the greatest number in hiding?

> > > > The reason I ask?  Yesterday I got a coin in change that I typically see
> > > > only once or twice a year.

> > > > Alan
> > > > 'a rump pah pum pum'

> > > 1976 Washington Quarter?

> > That's what sparked my curiousity.  I got a Bicentennial Quarter, which
> > is damned rare in actual circulation compared to the other Washington
> > issues, especially when the massive mintage is considered.  They are
> > hiding somewhere because the silver dime and the 1976 quarter are equal
> > in frequency in my 2003 pocket change.

> > Alan
> > 'Look, Ethel!'

> I get a few in rolls from the bank occasionally but I don't
> even remember the last time I got one in change.  I can always use a few
> for introductory trades and often don't have as many as I can use.

Every now and then, I see a BUNCH of 1976 quarters, then they are scarce again.

Yepper...  Someone just deposited the jarfull that they inherited, after
finding out that they are worth a whopping $0.25 each.

--
___________________________________________  ____              _______________
Regards,                                    |    |\    ____
                                            |    | |  |    |\
Michael G. Koerner               May they   |    | |  |    | |   rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA                     |    | |  |    | |  
___________________________________________ |    | |  |    | | _______________