pre-revolutionary Russian gold

pre-revolutionary Russian gold

Post by DALLESAN.. » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 08:19:54



I recently acquired a small old Russian gold coin.

I don't collect Russian coins--
This was strictly an impulse buy.

I liked it when I saw it. It's in wonderful condition for it's age
(1901), and seems to show every detail of the czar's profile, the
national emblem on the reverse, and all it's letters & numerals.

I'm embarrased to say that, like many of my collector friends, I have
reference books on U.S. coins and a reasonable working knowledge of U.S.
coins, but I know little of foreign coins, and almost nothing about
Russian & Soviet-era coinage.

This is a 5-rouble, 1901 gold piece, --just a trifle larger than an
American dime.

Can anyone tell me anything about it?

It's gold content (percentage, weight) etc??

It's history? What alloy might be part of this?

It's value?
(It's grade, IMO, is perhaps "extra-fine").

..also: can anyone recommend a simple  comprehensive reference book on
foreign coins  (for a collector of US coins?)

many thanks...

joey  

 
 
 

pre-revolutionary Russian gold

Post by WinWinscenar » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:54:27


Joey-

The coin is worth about $50 in XF.

Regards,
Tom

 
 
 

pre-revolutionary Russian gold

Post by gogu » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 05:47:08




Quote:
> I recently acquired a small old Russian gold coin.

> I don't collect Russian coins--
> This was strictly an impulse buy.

> I liked it when I saw it. It's in wonderful condition for it's age
> (1901), and seems to show every detail of the czar's profile, the
> national emblem on the reverse, and all it's letters & numerals.

> I'm embarrased to say that, like many of my collector friends, I have
> reference books on U.S. coins and a reasonable working knowledge of U.S.
> coins, but I know little of foreign coins, and almost nothing about
> Russian & Soviet-era coinage.

> This is a 5-rouble, 1901 gold piece, --just a trifle larger than an
> American dime.

> Can anyone tell me anything about it?

> It's gold content (percentage, weight) etc??

1886-1896
-------------
6.4516 g.
0.900 Gold
0.1867 oz.

1897-1911
------------
4.3001
0.900 Gold
0.1245 oz.

Quote:
> It's history? What alloy might be part of this?

> It's value?
> (It's grade, IMO, is perhaps "extra-fine").

Fairly common date, $75 - $100 in UNC, $55 - $70 in XF.

Quote:
> ..also: can anyone recommend a simple  comprehensive reference book on
> foreign coins  (for a collector of US coins?)

On gold coins:
Standard Catalog of World Gold Coins, Krause Publications
Gold Coins of the World, A.L.Friedberg and Ira Friedberg
But they are not "simple" :-)

--
E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> many thanks...

> joey