Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by Steve Pegr » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00



To All E-Bay Sellers and Coin Dealers:

I am posting this Bad Trader Alert to let you know about a person who
bids on coins in the US Coins section on E-Bay Auction Site who does
not pay and does not honor his bids. I did not want to have to do
this, but after numerous failed attempts to get this individual to
respond, to pay, or to even just tell me if he couldn't afford to pay
curently, so I could at least get my sellers fees back from E-Bay, he
still refuses to honor any of it with a response. Listed below is the
name of the party along with a brief excerpt that I had to send to
E-Bay in an attempt to obtain my money back from them for sellers
fees.

Name: Chanh Tran
Address: 14026 Hermosilla Way, Poway, CA, 92064

Excerpt From E-Bay letter:

"Mr. Tran bid on and won four items from me (Item#4712786 Complete
Encyclopedia of Commerative Coins, Item#4749804 1956 NGC PF68 Cameo
Franklin Half Dollar, Item#4750383 1960 NGC PF68 Franklin Half Dollar,
and Item#4750429 1961 NGC PF68 Franklin Half Dollar) for a total of
$279.51 in bids.
     Since the closing of the auctions on 1/28/98, I have contacted
Mr. Tran several times by e-mail and have even left messages on his
answering machine at his house (I was e-mailed his number from you
after contacting your site under member enquiries). He has refused to
pay me as of yet and will not answer my e-mails. He finally sent one
e-mail saying he would send the money a couple of weeks ago, but still
has not."

      I was hoping through all of this that he would just pay, but it
seems all hope of that is lost. I have posted this simply to warn any
other future sellers on E-Bay.

Regards,
Rev. Steve Pegram

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by John Ston » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> To All E-Bay Sellers and Coin Dealers:

> I am posting this Bad Trader Alert to let you know about a person who
> bids on coins in the US Coins section on E-Bay Auction Site who does
> not pay and does not honor his bids. I did not want to have to do
> this, but after numerous failed attempts to get this individual to
> respond, to pay, or to even just tell me if he couldn't afford to pay
> curently, so I could at least get my sellers fees back from E-Bay, he
> still refuses to honor any of it with a response. Listed below is the
> name of the party along with a brief excerpt that I had to send to
> E-Bay in an attempt to obtain my money back from them for sellers
> fees.

> Name: Chanh Tran
> Address: 14026 Hermosilla Way, Poway, CA, 92064

> Excerpt From E-Bay letter:

> "Mr. Tran bid on and won four items from me (Item#4712786 Complete
> Encyclopedia of Commerative Coins, Item#4749804 1956 NGC PF68 Cameo
> Franklin Half Dollar, Item#4750383 1960 NGC PF68 Franklin Half Dollar,
> and Item#4750429 1961 NGC PF68 Franklin Half Dollar) for a total of
> $279.51 in bids.
>      Since the closing of the auctions on 1/28/98, I have contacted
> Mr. Tran several times by e-mail and have even left messages on his
> answering machine at his house (I was e-mailed his number from you
> after contacting your site under member enquiries). He has refused to
> pay me as of yet and will not answer my e-mails. He finally sent one
> e-mail saying he would send the money a couple of weeks ago, but still
> has not."

>       I was hoping through all of this that he would just pay, but it
> seems all hope of that is lost. I have posted this simply to warn any
> other future sellers on E-Bay.

> Regards,
> Rev. Steve Pegram


Has anyone had a successful bidder send you their address and
the implication that you will send the merchandise before you
get the money from them?  I've had this happen a number of times
and after getting burned once this way I will never do it again.

Usually goes something like this, "thanks for letting me know I
was the winner, I'll send payment out today, here is my address"

And I never hear from them again.

My rule - pay first and then get the merchandise.

John S.

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by n.. » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00




Quote:
>Usually goes something like this, "thanks for letting me know I was the
>winner, I'll send payment out today, here is my address"

<chuckle>, My replies usually go something like that, with a clause added
that says I'll send a copy of the note for reference with my check.  I
always do, tho, follow through with the check.

If I include my address in the reply, it makes it easy to print the reply
out, then send it along with the check to fully document the transaction.
Without making special arrangements, I'd never expect a seller to send the
coin(s) first.

Nick
--
-----------------------------------------------------------

Senior Software Engineer
Secant Technologies, Inc.             http://www.secant.com
-----------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by Crutc » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Question:  Does E-bay make you pay the post or sell commission before
you receive payment on the invoices; and/or before returns are taken
into consideration?  

Crutch Williams

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by PT VETT » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00


I'm not sure but I think that you always pay the post fee and sellers fees
reguardless.  I reguards to the return most return because the coin in question
is not considered by the buyer as the same grade as advertised

Pat

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by Vcco » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00


E bay takes the "post" fee no matter whether the transaction occurs or not. If
there is a sucessful bid, they take the sellers fee commission, whether there
is a successful exchange of coin/s and funds, or not.

If the buyer fails to pay, Ebay will relist the item and credit the account,
but does periodic  research to verify that the buyer did indeed renig on the
transaction.

Mike Lilley
Valley Classic Coin

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by JSTONE93 » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>Question:  Does E-bay make you pay the post or sell commission before
>you receive payment on the invoices; and/or before returns are taken
>into consideration?  

>Crutch Williams

Yes, the listing fees and selling commissions are charged to your
account as soon as you list the auction and as soon as it is
finished.    If someone does not pay you can request a refund
of the selling commission but I'm not sure if you can get the
listing fee reimbursed.   I've been stuck by a few deadbeats
but didn't feel the 5% fee was enough to bother seeking
a refund from ebay.  If its under a $1.00 or so why bother since
it takes a 32 cent stamp and the cost of an envelope to send it to ebay.     I
figure deadbeats are just part of the cost of doing
business.         John S.
 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by FastEd » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00




Quote:

>> Has anyone had a successful bidder send you their address and
>> the implication that you will send the merchandise before you
>> get the money from them?  I've had this happen a number of times
>> and after getting burned once this way I will never do it again.

>> Usually goes something like this, "thanks for letting me know I
>> was the winner, I'll send payment out today, here is my address"

>> And I never hear from them again.

I do this regularly for the following reasons:

1. It is basic communication acknowleding the winning bid.
2. It allows you to make a permanent record on their computer of your
return address.

Of course I follow up with payment, but I'm not asking for the
merchandise prior to the seller receiving payment.

One time I did receive the goods ($60.00) before I paid.  What a
shock!  I promptly paid thereafter.

Quote:

>Fortunately I have not been burned yet... I'm not the one selling though,
>I pay first, to get my merchandise... I look at it on the other side of
>the coin, after getting and seeing the merchandise, then I can be sure I'm
>getting what I paid for. I haven't been disappointed yet by anything. I
>guess the rule of thumb is to keep monetary transactions to  a minimum
>with people  you don't know. The most I risk losing in most
>purchases/trades is around 10-15$.

>Cheers,
>Colleen

><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
><*>                        Megan-Colleen Upton                       <*>
><*>             "The Apple Don't Fall Far From The Tree"             <*>
><*>              2nd Year, Physics, Carleton University              <*>

><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by John Ston » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Quote:




> >> Has anyone had a successful bidder send you their address and
> >> the implication that you will send the merchandise before you
> >> get the money from them?  I've had this happen a number of times
> >> and after getting burned once this way I will never do it again.

> >> Usually goes something like this, "thanks for letting me know I
> >> was the winner, I'll send payment out today, here is my address"

> >> And I never hear from them again.

> I do this regularly for the following reasons:

> 1. It is basic communication acknowleding the winning bid.
> 2. It allows you to make a permanent record on their computer of your
> return address.

> Of course I follow up with payment, but I'm not asking for the
> merchandise prior to the seller receiving payment.

> One time I did receive the goods ($60.00) before I paid.  What a
> shock!  I promptly paid thereafter.

> >Fortunately I have not been burned yet... I'm not the one selling though,
> >I pay first, to get my merchandise... I look at it on the other side of
> >the coin, after getting and seeing the merchandise, then I can be sure I'm
> >getting what I paid for. I haven't been disappointed yet by anything. I
> >guess the rule of thumb is to keep monetary transactions to  a minimum
> >with people  you don't know. The most I risk losing in most
> >purchases/trades is around 10-15$.

> >Cheers,
> >Colleen

> ><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
> ><*>                        Megan-Colleen Upton                       <*>
> ><*>             "The Apple Don't Fall Far From The Tree"             <*>
> ><*>              2nd Year, Physics, Carleton University              <*>

> ><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

I have no problem with them sending me the address but its not
following up on the transaction that bothers me.  I used to make out
the envelope in advance of getting the money but I ended up throwing
out too many envelopes that way from people who don't pay.  The
problem people are usually no more than 10% of the people I sell to,
most people are trustworthty its that other 10% to watch out for.

John S.

 
 
 

Bad E-Bay Trader Alert!!! - Please Read!

Post by LECald » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I sell a lot of stuff (A LOT) on ebay.  I appreciate getting a response from
the buyer with their address.  It allows me to make labels, etc. ahead of time.

I have never considered this type of message as one wanting shipment prior to
payment, but merely as an acknowledgement.


then when a check comes in from Dr. John J. Smith, it is difficult to reconcile
the two.

That might not be a problem to some, but when you have many, many auctions
open, it could be of concern.

See ya
.
Larry Calder
"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready 'cause the road goes on forever
and the party never ends."  IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR COINS, MAKE DAMN SURE YOU
KNOW YOUR DEALER!!