Finding 90% Silver

Finding 90% Silver

Post by Paul Auleciem » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00



Hi

Just a question regarding 90% Junk Silver Coins:

Is there any type of "commercial" method that allows one to go through a
pile of quarters (dimes, etc), instead of examining each quarter for it's
date?

Thanks
Paul

P.s. For the most part, are 90% Junk Silver Coins very rare to find in
change? I assume that most have been pulled out long ago.

Thanks
Paul

 
 
 

Finding 90% Silver

Post by mike » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Quote:

> Hi

> Just a question regarding 90% Junk Silver Coins:

> Is there any type of "commercial" method that allows one to go through a
> pile of quarters (dimes, etc), instead of examining each quarter for it's
> date?

No. It's almost all become cleaned out during the silver rush in the late
70's/early 80's

Quote:

> Thanks
> Paul

> P.s. For the most part, are 90% Junk Silver Coins very rare to find in
> change? I assume that most have been pulled out long ago.

Quite difficult indeed.

Quote:

> Thanks
> Paul

    -mike

 
 
 

Finding 90% Silver

Post by H. Craig Hamlin » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Paul:  It is easy to separate silver quarters, dimes and half dollars from
the post 1964 copper nickle clad coins by looking at the color.  To teach
this to yourself put 10 quarters from 1964 or earlier into a pile with 10
from 1965 or later.  Mix them up.  You will be surprised how easy it is to
tell the difference.  You can even see the color difference after you have
gone cross-eyed.  Halfs are tougher since 1965 to 1970 are 40% silver and
worth pulling out of circulation.  Good Luck!
Quote:

>Hi

>Just a question regarding 90% Junk Silver Coins:

>Is there any type of "commercial" method that allows one to go through a
>pile of quarters (dimes, etc), instead of examining each quarter for it's
>date?

>Thanks
>Paul

>P.s. For the most part, are 90% Junk Silver Coins very rare to find in
>change? I assume that most have been pulled out long ago.

>Thanks
>Paul

 
 
 

Finding 90% Silver

Post by TomDeLor » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00


The easiest way is just to lay a stack of them in your hand and look at the
edges. The silver ones (if any, they are almost never found these days) will
not have the copper core.
.
Tom DeLorey
.
Quote:
>Subject: Finding 90% Silver

>Date: 1/18/99 2:02 AM Central Standard Time

>Hi

>Just a question regarding 90% Junk Silver Coins:

>Is there any type of "commercial" method that allows one to go through a
>pile of quarters (dimes, etc), instead of examining each quarter for it's
>date?

>Thanks
>Paul

>P.s. For the most part, are 90% Junk Silver Coins very rare to find in
>change? I assume that most have been pulled out long ago.

>Thanks
>Paul

 
 
 

Finding 90% Silver

Post by Forrest Steve » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00



Quote:
>The easiest way is just to lay a stack of them in your hand and look at the
>edges. The silver ones (if any, they are almost never found these days) will
>not have the copper core.

This doesn't always work.  The few (very few) silver coins I've found
have often had a line of oxidation on the edge that looked a lot like
the copper core.  They still look "different" but not always as
eye-catching as you might expect.

Forrest Stevens

 
 
 

Finding 90% Silver

Post by El Dea » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00


best way to check is with your ears. Silver, including 40% halves, all have a
distinctive "ring" to tem, that` is unmistakable after a little prctice. I go
through lots of coins; your eyes may deceive you, but not your ears.

El Deaco
"May every step that I take leave the footprints of a warrior, along the Spirit
Trail"

 
 
 

Finding 90% Silver

Post by James Owen » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00


<cringe> just don't go bumping expensive or high grade coins together to see if
they are real, or you may cost yourself many $$$$$.
                                                                  Mike.
Quote:

> best way to check is with your ears. Silver, including 40% halves, all have a
> distinctive "ring" to tem, that` is unmistakable after a little prctice. I go
> through lots of coins; your eyes may deceive you, but not your ears.

> El Deaco
> "May every step that I take leave the footprints of a warrior, along the Spirit
> Trail"