1834 Large Cent Variety Help

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Bruce Remic » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 10:43:17



        I have an 1834 US Large Cent that I believe may be the scarcer N5
variety.  I have a copy of Newcomb, but have gone bug-eyed trying to
attribute this particular coin.  I know there are come copper experts
out there, and if someone could offer an opinion from these photos, I
would sure appreciate it.

Bruce

OBVERSE
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/0/20/57/48802057Wqjokz_th.jpg

REVERSE
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/0/21/20/48802120TppZkl_th.jpg

 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Bruce Remic » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 11:43:45


        Perhaps if I provided a link to images that were more detailed, someone
might be able to tell more than that indeed this is a large cent.

OBVERSE
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/0/20/57/48802057Wqjokz_ph.jpg

REVERSE
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/0/21/20/48802120TppZkl_ph.jpg

 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Denis Lori » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:57:11


Quote:

>    Perhaps if I provided a link to images that were more detailed, someone
>might be able to tell more than that indeed this is a large cent.

This is an N6-- scarce, but not nearly as rare as the N5.  Sorry!

Denis Loring

 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Fre » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:13:33


Quote:
>    I have an 1834 US Large Cent that I believe may be the scarcer N5
>variety.

A casual glance at Noyes indicates it is not the N5. All the reverse devices
are way too bulky and the S of States is way out of place, same with 1st A in
AMERICA.  A much better bet is that it's the N6, which uses the same obverse
die.

BLReed

Visit the new South Dakota Coin & Stamp Association web site:

http://www.byronreed.com/sdcsa/

 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Aram H. Haroutuni » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 15:48:17


So YOU'RE the author of "trade bait", eh?  (Found you in The Cent
Book.)  :-)  Aram.
==========================
Quote:

>>        Perhaps if I provided a link to images that were more detailed, someone
>>might be able to tell more than that indeed this is a large cent.

>This is an N6-- scarce, but not nearly as rare as the N5.  Sorry!

>Denis Loring


 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Bruce Remic » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:45:39



Quote:

> >       I have an 1834 US Large Cent that I believe may be the scarcer N5
> >variety.

> A casual glance at Noyes indicates it is not the N5. All the reverse devices
> are way too bulky and the S of States is way out of place, same with 1st A in
> AMERICA.  A much better bet is that it's the N6, which uses the same obverse
> die.

> BLReed

I'm not familiar with the Noyes reference.  Is this a recent one?  I do
have a copy of Sheldon and a 3rd Edition Newcomb.  The descriptions in
Newcomb still leave me confused most of the time about these late date
cents.  I guess I don't play with them enough.  Also Newcomb gives no
rarity figure for the 1834 N6.  This indicates that it's a common one.
True?  Denis suggested it was scarce.  

Is there any US large cent reference comprehensive enough to provide a
premium value or factor for the rarer varieties of each date?  Noyes,
maybe?

Bruce

 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Fre » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:06:36


Quote:
>I'm not familiar with the Noyes reference.  Is this a recent one?

1991, 2 volls and mucho $ relative to standard reference books.

Quote:
>Also Newcomb gives no
>rarity figure for the 1834 N6.  

Noyes says R3.

Quote:
>Is there any US large cent reference comprehensive enough to provide a
>premium value or factor for the rarer varieties of each date?  Noyes,
>maybe?

There is another book out by Grellman which I have not used but have heard
great things about.  I don't know that it provides any value information.  For
that you need a coppy of Copper Quotes by Jack Robinson.

BLReed

Visit the new South Dakota Coin & Stamp Association web site:

http://www.byronreed.com/sdcsa/

 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Denis Lori » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:25:42


Quote:

>>I'm not familiar with the Noyes reference.  Is this a recent one?

>1991, 2 volls and mucho $ relative to standard reference books.

There are two current references on 1816-39 cents: The Cent Book, by John
Wright, and U. S. Large Cents 1816-1839 by Noyes.  Both are worth getting, even
though expensive.

Quote:
>>Also Newcomb gives no
>>rarity figure for the 1834 N6.  

>Noyes says R3.

I'd guess upper range of R-3.

Quote:
>>Is there any US large cent reference comprehensive enough to provide a
>>premium value or factor for the rarer varieties of each date?  Noyes,
>>maybe?

Definitely not Noyes.  The price guide for large cent (and half cent) varieties
is Copper Quotes by (Jack) Robinson, or CQR.  He can be reached at
703-821-1854.

Quote:
>There is another book out by Grellman which I have not used but have heard
>great things about.  I don't know that it provides any value information.

>BLReed

That book is U. S. Cents 1840-1857.  It's the standard reference for the
series, and  a must-have for anyone interested in these cents.  The second
edition just came out.

Denis Loring

 
 
 

1834 Large Cent Variety Help

Post by Bruce Remic » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 11:33:30



Quote:

> >I'm not familiar with the Noyes reference.  Is this a recent one?

> 1991, 2 volls and mucho $ relative to standard reference books.

> >Also Newcomb gives no
> >rarity figure for the 1834 N6.

> Noyes says R3.

> >Is there any US large cent reference comprehensive enough to provide a
> >premium value or factor for the rarer varieties of each date?  Noyes,
> >maybe?

> There is another book out by Grellman which I have not used but have heard
> great things about.  I don't know that it provides any value information.  For
> that you need a coppy of Copper Quotes by Jack Robinson.

I appreciate all the help.  I noticed one ad for the two Noyes' volumes
for $235.  Gulp!  I see what you mean.  I was an EAC member about 30
years ago when I was actively into large cents-- even did some artwork
for Penny Wise.  I'm not buying too many large cents right now, just
trying to double check the attributions I made years ago.

Bruce