Problems with SP2 and Norton

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by James Higb » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:06:45



Thanks to Jeff R., posting as A.GENT, I have learned of an incompatibility
issue in my computer, involving XP and/or Service Pack 2 and/or Norton
Internet Security 2004 and/or my ISP.  It seems that on certain eBay
sellers' auctions I cannot see the pictures or even know that I should be
able to see them.  But by turning off Norton I can then download the pix.

Anyone else have this problem?  Better solution?

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by John maso » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:55:31


Quote:

> Thanks to Jeff R., posting as A.GENT, I have learned of an incompatibility
> issue in my computer, involving XP and/or Service Pack 2 and/or Norton
> Internet Security 2004 and/or my ISP.  It seems that on certain eBay
> sellers' auctions I cannot see the pictures or even know that I should be
> able to see them.  But by turning off Norton I can then download the pix.

> Anyone else have this problem?  Better solution?

People shouldn't even bother downloading the SP2 as it has it's own
glitches. Had me all screwed up for a while, but thanks to a MS Tech
friend of mine, it got fixed.

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by James Higb » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:24:45


Did you de-install SP2?  Or is there some way to selectively modify it?


Quote:

>> Thanks to Jeff R., posting as A.GENT, I have learned of an
>> incompatibility issue in my computer, involving XP and/or Service Pack 2
>> and/or Norton Internet Security 2004 and/or my ISP.  It seems that on
>> certain eBay sellers' auctions I cannot see the pictures or even know
>> that I should be able to see them.  But by turning off Norton I can then
>> download the pix.

>> Anyone else have this problem?  Better solution?
> People shouldn't even bother downloading the SP2 as it has it's own
> glitches. Had me all screwed up for a while, but thanks to a MS Tech
> friend of mine, it got fixed.

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by K6AZ » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:57:11


Quote:

>Thanks, Eric.  I had already turned off firewall out of the box, and I don't
>see an option to disable "security center."  What next?

You have to go into Windows Services:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Find the two items called Security Center and Firewall. Double click that
line to bring up your options for that service, and disable. Once you have
disabled those two services, you should be able to get Windows and Norton
to work together.
 --
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by Dale Hallmar » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:35:02


Hummm

I have SP2 and Norton and don't seem to be having any problems.
Hope you get it fixed.

Dale


Quote:
> Thanks to Jeff R., posting as A.GENT, I have learned of an incompatibility issue
> in my computer, involving XP and/or Service Pack 2 and/or Norton Internet Security
> 2004 and/or my ISP.  It seems that on certain eBay sellers' auctions I cannot see
> the pictures or even know that I should be able to see them.  But by turning off
> Norton I can then download the pix.

> Anyone else have this problem?  Better solution?

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by James Higb » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 04:16:22


I killed 'em both dead, and the pix in question still won't come up.  I've
experienced this before, a few months ago, with some, not all, of Ira's
auctions.  He did something on his end that made everything work for me
again.  Something tells me that Norton is at fault here, it has caused a
total system lockup on me a couple times, and I had to reformat the hard
drive.  I'm still glad to have the info, though, thanks!


Quote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:24:12 -0500, "James Higby"

>>Thanks, Eric.  I had already turned off firewall out of the box, and I
>>don't
>>see an option to disable "security center."  What next?

> You have to go into Windows Services:

> Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

> Find the two items called Security Center and Firewall. Double click that
> line to bring up your options for that service, and disable. Once you have
> disabled those two services, you should be able to get Windows and Norton
> to work together.
> --
> K6AZ WEB PAGES

> http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by K6AZ » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 04:46:23


Quote:

>I killed 'em both dead, and the pix in question still won't come up.  I've
>experienced this before, a few months ago, with some, not all, of Ira's
>auctions.  He did something on his end that made everything work for me
>again.  Something tells me that Norton is at fault here, it has caused a
>total system lockup on me a couple times, and I had to reformat the hard
>drive.  I'm still glad to have the info, though, thanks!

Norton has been buggy the last couple of years. I finally dumped it and
went with Zone Alarm and AVG (both free) and they have worked with
no conflicts.
 --
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by J. Crato » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:31:09


Quote:

> Thanks to Jeff R., posting as A.GENT, I have learned of an incompatibility
> issue in my computer, involving XP and/or Service Pack 2 and/or Norton
> Internet Security 2004 and/or my ISP.  It seems that on certain eBay
> sellers' auctions I cannot see the pictures or even know that I should be
> able to see them.  But by turning off Norton I can then download the pix.

> Anyone else have this problem?  Better solution?

One thing you might want to try is to do the live update feature for
norton and it may have a new driver for you to clear up problems with
the new service pack.

As Eric mentioned, sp2 has a built in firewall and you have to give it
permission to run norton. I had to choose an option that I would monitor
my own anti-virus software before it would leave me alone. The sp2
update wanted to try and run norton for me and I'm still using norton
2000 and they weren't compatible.

--
Jason Craton  ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Interested in error coins?
http://www.FoundCollection.com/ - A work in progress (lack of progress really).

Nick is a***!
Reid is a troglodyte!
"note.boy" is an IDIOT!

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by Bob Flamini » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:50:11


Quote:

> Norton has been buggy the last couple of years.

If by "last couple of years" you mean "since 1987", then yes, I agree
with you.

I wouldn't let any Symantec product on my computer.

--
Bob

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by K6AZ » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:02:02


Quote:


>> Norton has been buggy the last couple of years.

>If by "last couple of years" you mean "since 1987", then yes, I agree
>with you.

>I wouldn't let any Symantec product on my computer.

My final straw was last year with the certificate problem. I've been much
happier without their resource hog software.
 --
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

 
 
 

Problems with SP2 and Norton

Post by joecoi » Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:41:18




Quote:



>>> Norton has been buggy the last couple of years.

>>If by "last couple of years" you mean "since 1987", then yes, I agree
>>with you.

>>I wouldn't let any Symantec product on my computer.

> My final straw was last year with the certificate problem. I've been
> much happier without their resource hog software.
>  --
> K6AZ WEB PAGES

> http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

The problem is both Norton and Microsoft. We are not installing SP2 on
any of our clients systems. We have turned off auto update, but some XP
systems are turning it back on. Time to start the big Linux push.

--
Joecoin

Copper is as copper does.