Diffrent cent types question

Diffrent cent types question

Post by David B » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:26:32



Hello,  im butting to gather a very compleat coin set (1900-2000) and im
working on the cents now,  i would like to know all the diff cents ther are
from 1900 to 2000,  so far i have,

1900 Indian cent
1943-P Steel cent
1956-D Wheat cent
1999-D normal cent

and just for fun of having it,  a 1980-S proof cent

Im shur im missing some (if not alot) types, and i would like someone to
tell me what im missing  :-)

Thanks

David

PS,  after i find out what im missing,  ill tell ya what i have in my Dime,
Nickel, Half and Dollar type sets,  to see what im missing ther too   :-)

--
-----------------------------------
Remove the XX in my e-mail to contact me.
Please Visit my site at,
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~brinkley2/index.htm

 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by David B » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:42:13


hmm...   insted of me  butting my coin set togather,   it should be  Putting
togater...

sorry about that

David

--
-----------------------------------
Remove the XX in my e-mail to contact me.
Please Visit my site at,
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~brinkley2/index.htm

Quote:
> Hello,  im butting to gather a very compleat coin set (1900-2000) and im
> working on the cents now,  i would like to know all the diff cents ther
are
> from 1900 to 2000,  so far i have,

> 1900 Indian cent
> 1943-P Steel cent
> 1956-D Wheat cent
> 1999-D normal cent

> and just for fun of having it,  a 1980-S proof cent

> Im shur im missing some (if not alot) types, and i would like someone to
> tell me what im missing  :-)

> Thanks

> David

> PS,  after i find out what im missing,  ill tell ya what i have in my
Dime,
> Nickel, Half and Dollar type sets,  to see what im missing ther too   :-)

> --
> -----------------------------------
> Remove the XX in my e-mail to contact me.
> Please Visit my site at,
> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~brinkley2/index.htm


 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by Deven Atkins » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:04:06


It really depends on whatever you define as complete.  The four coins you
list below could be considered a complete set.
There are other coins you may want to consider.
Lincoln cent of 1909 with the VDB on the reverse.
Lincoln cent of 1909-1917 with no VDB initials at all.
Lincoln cent of 1918-1942 and 1946-1958 with the VDB on the obverse
(Lincoln's Shoulder)
Lincoln cent of 1944-1945 shell case-like bronze composition
Lincoln cent of 1959-1982 normal composition
Lincoln cent of 1982-now copper plated zinc.

Then you could always add in mint mark examples, large/small date
varieties, and subtle design changes (i.e. Lincoln's portrait retooled in
1969, etc.)

You may want to consider looking at some of the very good books on small
cents.  A good beginner book for Lincoln Cents is "The Complete Lincoln
Cent Encyclopedia" by Anderson.  There may be other good books you can find
at your local Library.


Quote:

>Hello,  im butting to gather a very compleat coin set (1900-2000) and im
>working on the cents now,  i would like to know all the diff cents ther are
>from 1900 to 2000,  so far i have,

>1900 Indian cent
>1943-P Steel cent
>1956-D Wheat cent
>1999-D normal cent

>and just for fun of having it,  a 1980-S proof cent

>Im shur im missing some (if not alot) types, and i would like someone to
>tell me what im missing  :-)

>Thanks

>David

>PS,  after i find out what im missing,  ill tell ya what i have in my Dime,
>Nickel, Half and Dollar type sets,  to see what im missing ther too   :-)


--
Penny Lane Numismatic - Categorized Web Links
http://www.bright.net/~deven/pennylane.htm
ANA Member #1197707
 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by mar » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:31:29


Quote:

>Im shur im missing some (if not alot) types, and i would like someone to
>tell me what im missing  :-)

here's the list by composition:
1909-1942 -- 95% copper, 5% tin and zinc (bronze)
1942 -- 95% copper, 5% zinc (brass)
1943 -- zinc-plated steel
1944-1946 -- 95% copper, 5% zinc (brass)
1947-1962 -- 95% copper, 5% tin and zinc (bronze)
1962-1982 -- 95% copper, 5% zinc (brass)
1982-present -- 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper planchet
plated with pure copper)

--
mark
"the future will be a lot like now, only later."

 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by Bob Flamini » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:53:48


Quote:

> Hello,  im butting to gather a very compleat coin set (1900-2000) and
> im working on the cents now,  i would like to know all the diff cents
> ther are from 1900 to 2000,  so far i have,

> 1900 Indian cent
> 1943-P Steel cent
> 1956-D Wheat cent
> 1999-D normal cent

It's not a bad start, and you could call it "compleat" (although I would
say "complete" -- as far as the rest of your post, spellcheck is your
friend...). One thing nice about your "type" set is that there are no
items that need detailed explaining to a layperson. How many have had
this experience: "Hey, these two pennies are the same." "No they're not,
this one's copper, and this one's zinc." "But they look the same."
"Well, one's heavier than the other." "Oh, let me see." "DON'T TOUCH
THEM!"

Here's some ways to generate "types" (leaving out the Indian):

Major design changes:
1. Wheat reverse (1909-58)
2. Memorial reverse (1959-now)

Major design changes with major metal changes:
1. Wheat, copper (1909-58 except 1943)
2. Wheat, steel (1943)
3. Memorial, copper (1959-82)
4. Memorial, zinc (1982-now)

Major design changes with minor metal changes:
1. Wheat, 95% copper, 5% tin/zinc (1909-42, 47-58)
2. Wheat, zinc-coated steel (1943)
3. Wheat, 95% copper, 5% zinc (no tin) (1944-46)
4. Memorial, 95% copper, 5% tin/zinc (1959-62)
5. Memorial, 95% copper, 5% zinc (no tin) (1962-82)
6. Memorial, 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper (1982-now)

As above, with designer's initials' changes:
1. Wheat, VDB on reverse (1909)
2. Wheat, no VDB (1909-17)
3. Wheat, VDB on obverse, 95% copper, 5% tin/zinc (1918-42, 47-58)
4. Wheat, VDB on obverse, zinc-coated steel (1943)
5. Wheat, VDB on obverse, 95% copper, 5% zinc (no tin) (1944-46)
6. Memorial, 95% copper, 5% tin/zinc (1959-62)
7. Memorial, 95% copper, 5% zinc (no tin) (1962-82)
8. Memorial, 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper (1982-now)

And it's possible to get even finer gradations, ultimately ending up
with a complete run. It's an entirely personal decision on what to
collect, but knowledge empowers that decision. For this and your future
collecting endeavors, you should get yourself a Red Book (should be
available in any coin shop, and most larger bookstores).

-Bob

 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by Barr » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 01:10:08


Can anybody tell me why the switch back and forth between brass and
bronze (tim/no tin/tin, etc.) over the years?
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies
 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by Bob Flamini » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 01:58:47


Quote:

> Can anybody tell me why the switch back and forth between brass and
> bronze (tim/no tin/tin, etc.) over the years?

Follow-up question: according to the Red Book, a metal switch was made
in 1962 (coincidentally, the year of my birth). Theoretically, this
would mean that there are two varieties for 1962 cents (not unlike the
1982 switch, but less dramatic). Since zinc is significantly lighter
than tin, those cents with tin in them should be slightly heavier,
right? But is this reliably measurable (that is, beyond the margin of
error of the weight of cents)? Any other non-destructive way to detect
the presence of tin in a cent?

And now the $64,000 question: would any of the major slabbing services
note such a variety on their slab?

-Bob

 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by Barr » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:59:46




Quote:

>> Can anybody tell me why the switch back and forth between brass and
>> bronze (tim/no tin/tin, etc.) over the years?

>Follow-up question: according to the Red Book, a metal switch was made
>in 1962 (coincidentally, the year of my birth). Theoretically, this
>would mean that there are two varieties for 1962 cents (not unlike the
>1982 switch, but less dramatic). Since zinc is significantly lighter
>than tin, those cents with tin in them should be slightly heavier,
>right? But is this reliably measurable (that is, beyond the margin of
>error of the weight of cents)? Any other non-destructive way to detect
>the presence of tin in a cent?

>And now the $64,000 question: would any of the major slabbing services
>note such a variety on their slab?

>-Bob

You answered my question with a question:.)

Let's look at your question:
Bronze cent weighs 3.11g
5% is tin/zinc (how much of each?)
The tin/zinc component wieghs 3.11x.05 = 0.155g or 155mg
Assuming that tin/zinc is 50:50 by weight, each component = 77.5mg, a
very small amount. Measureable, for sure.

However, from http://www.gizmology.net/metals.htm,
The density of tin =  0.2637 lb/ci and,
the density of zinc= 0.2576 lb/ci, almost the same. The difference is
about 2.5%. (Where did your info about zinc being significantly
lighter than tin come from?) That being so, we're dealing with
micrograms now, for brass vs. bronze, which would not be easy to
measure.
Barry

--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by Coin Sav » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:56:53


Quote:
>From: w2Xup
>Can anybody tell me why the switch back and forth between brass and bronze

(tim/no tin/tin, etc.) over the years? >

Opinions of various Mint Directors concerning durability, avaliability of
material, popularity, and one was dating the daughter of a zinc mine owner.

;-)

Coin Saver

 
 
 

Diffrent cent types question

Post by Bob Flamini » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:42:47


Quote:

> (Where did your info about zinc being significantly
> lighter than tin come from?)

Just from looking at a periodic table. I admit that my knowledge of
metals is extremely sketchy.

-Bob