Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by The Nickelma » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00



Back in the 1950s and early 60s, when going thru bank rolls, etc. was
popular then, did any of you older collectors find rarities other than:
1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1922 Plain, 1924-D or 1931-S cents?  I know
you were young then, and couldn't afford looking thru the higher
denominations such as quarters and halves (and forget about silver
dollars too!).  Has anyone out there collecting coins in those times ever
find a 1901-S, 1913-S, 1916 SL, 1918/7-S, 1921, 1923-S, 1927-S, 1932-D or
1932-S Quarters, or were Barber silver coins not in circulation at that
time?  If you were collecting coins during the 50s and 60s, tell me what
your best circulation finds were....I hear that someone actually found a
1916-D dime in VG-10 or so by change/roll searching, so stranger things
have happened!

Nicholas "The Nickelman" Cheung

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Mendel Leo Coop » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>Back in the 1950s and early 60s, when going thru bank rolls, etc. was
>popular then, did any of you older collectors find rarities other than:
>1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1922 Plain, 1924-D or 1931-S cents?

Back in '60-'62, as a young ***ager with miniscule pocket money,
I used to scrutinize my change regularly. Best finds were a 1936
doubled die penny (wish I had kept it) and a 1920-D Nickel in
sharp XF+.

SL quarters, buff nickels, and "Mercury" dimes were common, as
were steel pennies.

Quote:
> or were Barber silver coins not in circulation at that time?

Nope, never saw one.

Quote:
> If you were collecting coins during the 50s and 60s, tell me what
>your best circulation finds were.

See above.

--
"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity
and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity
will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy ...  neither its
pipes nor its theories will hold water."
         ===============================================
         + http://www.FoundCollection.com/~thegrendel/ +
         ===============================================

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by JSTONE93 » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

>> If you were collecting coins during the 50s and 60s, tell me what
>>your best circulation finds were.

I found quite a few Mercury dimes but they were fast
disappearing from circulation by 1966.  Most of them were
dated in the 1940's but I did find some from the 1930's.
I remember a 1918-S Buffalo Nickel in VG-Fine
condition (not a great rarity but a nice find), most Buffalo's
I located were dateless.  A few Standing Liberty quarters
were found but every one was dateless.
A 1919-S Lincoln in XF was a great find (I wonder where
it had been hiding all those years to be in such nice
condition).     John S.
 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Infoserv » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>Back in the 1950s and early 60s, when going thru bank rolls, etc. was
>popular then, did any of you older collectors find rarities other than: ...

First of all, I object to being referred to as an "older collector" ;)>

Seriously, the best finds have been more recently, for example, in the
past six months I've found:
a 1938 nickel in XF condition (better than the one I found in 1966)
a 1919 penny in G
7 Franklin Halves in F
5 Walking Liberty Haves (G-F)
1 Silver War nickel (G)
30+/- Pre 1970 Halves
2 Silver dimes

BTY I did search a "bag" or two of silver dollars in the 1960s.  I even
got a morgan or two for opening a new bank account.  The bags were all the
"modern" peace dollars.

As for rare coin finds, I don't recall anything major.

ken

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Stephen Suffe » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Quote:

> >Back in the 1950s and early 60s, when going thru bank rolls, etc. was
> >popular then, did any of you older collectors find rarities other than:
> >1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1922 Plain, 1924-D or 1931-S cents?

Greetings----
     I'll never forget the day -- June 21, 1961 -- when I was going
through some dimes and found a 1916-D in G/VG condition. I gave out a
shout that got me kicked out of the Jackson Heights branch of the
Queensborough (New York City) Public Library, where I had gone to sort
through ten rolls.
     I took the coin to Jimmy's Hobby Shop on 37th Avenue near 89th
Street and immediately traded it for a used copy of the 5c US first
issue stamp of 1847 (Scott #1) plus a mint NH copy of the 50c "Baby
Zepp" of 1933 (Scott #C18). I never regretted that trade for one
instant.
                               Regards,
                               Steve Suffet
 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by DOND » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>Greetings----
>     I'll never forget the day -- June 21, 1961 -- when I was going
>through some dimes and found a 1916-D in G/VG condition. I gave out a
>shout that got me kicked out of the Jackson Heights branch of the
>Queensborough (New York City) Public Library, where I had gone to sort
>through ten rolls.
>     I took the coin to Jimmy's Hobby Shop on 37th Avenue near 89th
>Street and immediately traded it for a used copy of the 5c US first
>issue stamp of 1847 (Scott #1) plus a mint NH copy of the 50c "Baby
>Zepp" of 1933 (Scott #C18). I never regretted that trade for one
>instant.
>                               Regards,
>                               Steve Suffet

While you relate an cute story, its with some chagrin that I note that we
were "used", for financing purposes only to further your philatelic
interests.  (sigh)
OTOH, I guess, we should be glad you didn't run out & buy an old jalopy or
something...heh.

Dondi3
Buy, Sell, Trade, Appraise.  Established 1980.
Coming to the Milwaukee Coin show in Sept?  Stop & say "hello".

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by CFBa » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Quote:
>Back in the 1950s and early 60s, when going thru bank rolls, etc. was
>popular then, did any of you older collectors find rarities other than:
>1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1922 Plain, 1924-D or 1931-S cents?

In the early 1960's I would buy rolls at a small town bank, look through
them and then trade them back for other rolls.  I found a 1932-D quarter
AG, a 1921 dime Good, 2 1950-D nickels (each worth more than the 32-D
quarter at the time!), and several 1955 halves.  Those were the days!
 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Lou Col » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00


On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:08:09 -0400, The Nickelman

Quote:
>Back in the 1950s and early 60s, when going thru bank rolls, etc. was
>popular then, did any of you older collectors find rarities other than:
>1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1922 Plain, 1924-D or 1931-S cents?  I know
>you were young then, and couldn't afford looking thru the higher
>denominations such as quarters and halves (and forget about silver
>dollars too!).  Has anyone out there collecting coins in those times ever
>find a 1901-S, 1913-S, 1916 SL, 1918/7-S, 1921, 1923-S, 1927-S, 1932-D or
>1932-S Quarters, or were Barber silver coins not in circulation at that
>time?  If you were collecting coins during the 50s and 60s, tell me what
>your best circulation finds were....I hear that someone actually found a
>1916-D dime in VG-10 or so by change/roll searching, so stranger things
>have happened!

>Nicholas "The Nickelman" Cheung

I can remember finding a 32-D quarter , best was very nice cent with a

full clamshell lamination.

Lou

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Lou Col » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00



Quote:
>>Back in the 1950s and early 60s, when going thru bank rolls, etc. was
>>popular then, did any of you older collectors find rarities other than:
>>1909-S VDB, 1909-S, 1914-D, 1922 Plain, 1924-D or 1931-S cents?

>In the early 1960's I would buy rolls at a small town bank, look through
>them and then trade them back for other rolls.  I found a 1932-D quarter
>AG, a 1921 dime Good, 2 1950-D nickels (each worth more than the 32-D
>quarter at the time!), and several 1955 halves.  Those were the days!

Wasn't it in the early sixties you could sell a BU 1955-S cent to your
local coin dealer for 50 cents ?
 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Stephen Suffe » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Quote:



> >Greetings----
> >     I'll never forget the day -- June 21, 1961 -- when I was going
> >through some dimes and found a 1916-D in G/VG condition. I gave out a
> >shout that got me kicked out of the Jackson Heights branch of the
> >Queensborough (New York City) Public Library, where I had gone to sort
> >through ten rolls.
> >     I took the coin to Jimmy's Hobby Shop on 37th Avenue near 89th
> >Street and immediately traded it for a used copy of the 5c US first
> >issue stamp of 1847 (Scott #1) plus a mint NH copy of the 50c "Baby
> >Zepp" of 1933 (Scott #C18). I never regretted that trade for one
> >instant.
> >                               Regards,
> >                               Steve Suffet

> While you relate an cute story, its with some chagrin that I note that we
> were "used", for financing purposes only to further your philatelic
> interests.  (sigh)
> OTOH, I guess, we should be glad you didn't run out & buy an old jalopy or
> something...heh.

> Dondi3
> Buy, Sell, Trade, Appraise.  Established 1980.
> Coming to the Milwaukee Coin show in Sept?  Stop & say "hello".

Greetings---
     No need to feel chagrin; a boy can have more than one hobby! My
numismatic interest was/is USA type coins, and a worn out 1916-D dime
looks pretty ugly alongside my MS-65 1945. That's the beauty of type
collecting.
     I also collect acoustic guitars. In retrospect I wish I had
traded that '16-D for a Martin D-28. Now that's something to sigh
about. :-)
                              Regards,
                              Steve
 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Tony Clayt » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Looking through my old Canadian and US catalogues to see what I found
when living in Canada in 1962 (not quite 40 years ago), I found the following:

Canada
1c George V: All except the scarce years (1922-26 and 1930)
5c George V: All except 1925 and 1926 far 6
5c George VI: All except the tombac coins, which I purchased.
10c Edward VII: 1903H, 06, 07, 09, 10
10c George V: All except 1915 and 1935.
25c Victoria: 1872H
25c Edward VIII: 1902H, 03, 05, 06, 07, 10
25c George V: All the common ones, but no rarities
50c Edward VII: 1910
50c George V: 1919, 20, 29
50c George VI: 1937, 39, 40, 42-45, 47,49,51-2

Nothing very difficult then, but rather unusual now!

USA
1c: Several Indian Head Cents, scarcest 1866
    1909 VDB (sadly not S)
    1927S was the lowest mintage Wheatie.
5c: Oldest was 1893 Liberty Head.  There were 4 others,
    scarcest was 1895.
    Several Indian Head, but no rarities.
    Scarcest Jefferson was 1946S
10c: 5 Barber dimes (oldest 1908D)
     Many Liberty dimes, scarcest 1938D
25c: 1 1906 Barber quarter
     7 Standing Liberty quarters (none scarce)
     Scarcest Washington was 1936S
50c: 3 Liberty Walking (none scarce, 1918S oldest)

Remember, these were in circulation in Canada!

I wish now that I hadn't sold that collection in 1978.

--
Tony Clayton

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by ZIPPERE » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00


    I started collecting around 1955.  I did thru $10-$20 bank rolls and
an occassional $50 bag of cents.  I did find an 09-S and a few Indians, and
a lot of pre 1931 coins.  I basically kept everything pre  1930 plus all
1943 cents.  I still have them all.

   I was earning less then $1 per hour sacking groceries at a local
supermarket so I could not afford to set aside any larger denominational
coins.  I do not remember seeing any Barber coins in cerculation in my mid
west home town of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Gary Lewis, Governor

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Dr. Richard L. Hal » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00


It's interesting, since I began collecting coins in 1961.  And over the
years,  I've found a lot of coins but I don't think I've found any
real rarities.  The closest would be a 1932-D cent in VF that I pulled
out of a roll of cents.  And every payday, I would go to the bank and get
$10.00 worth of pennies and sort through them pulling out the wheat
cents.  I did find almost a complete set from 1916 or so except for the
toughies, 1924-D, 1922-D, 1926-S and 1931-S, some in XF and above.  I did
manage to save 150 or so rolls of wheat pennies which I later sold for  
$1.25 a roll through ads in Coin World.  Of course, it only cost a
quarter or so to send a roll of cents through the mail in the early 70's.

I was also able to complete a set of Jefferson nickels (except for the
50-D which I bought), Roosevelt dimes, and Washington Quarters (from
1940) Kennedy halves (The 70-D came in a mint set).

I had a friend who was much luckier than I was, though.  In fact, one day
he went to the bank and bought several rolls of cents.  One roll in
particular stood out.  It had two wheats on one end, three on the other
(including a 24-D) and the remaining 45 coins were mercury dimes.  Such
is life!

   Richard

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Tom Campbel » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Richard....WHERE does your friend bank?  I've been thinking about moving
my account.

Tom

 
 
 

Coin Collecting 40 Years Ago....

Post by Tom Campbel » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00


Best one I ever got as a kid in the sixties was a dateless Ty 1 SL 25c.
Didn't know the diagnostics to determine if it was a 1916 or 1917, but
it felt great at 11 to fill that spot in the type album!  As my
education progressed, turns out it was a '17 and 32 years later, I still
don't have a '16 (but you bet your bootie I still have the no date!)