RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Mike Marott » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 05:42:47



Later this year, I want to write about the sending of coins by people
online.  Obviously, RCC gets top billing...  or perhaps not so
obviously...

Was this really invented here?

As I remember, I think that Phil DeMayo took his "date" to the Saint
Gaudens workshop museum and quarry.  I also remember someone
"swallowing" the trime.  That happened, right?  As I dig back into the
RCC archives, what else should I look for?

Thanks!

Michael

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Phil DeMay » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:42:05




Quote:
>Later this year, I want to write about the sending of coins by people
>online.  Obviously, RCC gets top billing...  or perhaps not so
>obviously...

>Was this really invented here?

I'm not sure, but when I the RCC Half Cent and I visited Saint-Gaudens
I noticed a woman carrying a cardboard cut-out drawing of a face
mounted on a stick. As I was doing with the Half Cent, she would place
it next to a display and take a picture.

I struck up a conversation with her and it turns out the "face on the
stick" had a name....I think it was "Flat Fred" (or something like
that). It was made by school children and. like the RCC coins it was
being sent around the country.

Quote:
>As I remember, I think that Phil DeMayo took his "date" to the Saint
>Gaudens workshop museum and quarry.  

In spite of taking the Half Cent to an interesting location, Phil has
been a poor host as he has yet to send it on to the next scheduled
host, Jerry Dennis. But thanks for reminding me...I will try and make
a point of digging out the Dremel, adding my initials and getting it
in the mail to Jerry in the next week.

And....it was the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site....no quarry
that I remember.

I still have a page in my FTP space on the trip complete with 36
photos. I really should add an introduction explaining exactly what
the RCC Half Cent is all about:

http://members.aol.com/flip1948/SaintGaudens/SaintGaudens.html

Quote:
>I also remember someone "swallowing" the trime.  That happened, right?

If I remember correctly the Trime was found, but retired.

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Stujo » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:05:52


Mike Marotta spoke thusly...

Quote:
> Later this year, I want to write about the sending of coins by people
> online.  Obviously, RCC gets top billing...  or perhaps not so
> obviously...

> Was this really invented here?

> As I remember, I think that Phil DeMayo took his "date" to the Saint
> Gaudens workshop museum and quarry.  I also remember someone
> "swallowing" the trime.  That happened, right?  As I dig back into the
> RCC archives, what else should I look for?

Looking on my hard drive...here is some links to some history (might
have to cut and paste...)

The Precursor that never got off the ground:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.collecting.coins/browse_thread/thr...
19991206101006.14000.00000018%40ng-cj1.aol.com

The Penny is born:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.collecting.coins/msg/71afab588cb6e249
?oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

And what was on the original RCC Penny Web Page

Specifications
Designer: Greg the Beekeep
Weight: 96 grams
Size: 5 1/4" x 2 1/4"
Composition: Copper

General Info
The RCC Penny was born on December 9th, 1999. It was minted by Greg the
Beekeep. The original newsgroup article announcing its creation can be
found here. This was the precursor to all of the RCC Mint Coins, current
and future. A small beginning in the coinage of our newsgroup. The Penny
was only hosted by a few people before being lost (forever?)

Current Status
Unknown. Presumed lost forever.

Interesting Stuff
In the original minting announcement, the RCC Penny was referred to as
both a Penny and a Penney. Later, it would be called a Cent by some. It
is funny how that seems to happen with pennies and cents. It is also
rather fitting because it pays homage to The Great Penny/Cent Debates
that sometimes occur on RCC.  

Also, there was a precursor to the RCC Penny. On December 6th, 1999
Larry Calder made an offer to circulate an actual coin around to
RCC'ers. For various reasons, this particular idea never got past the
discussion stage. The thread for that newsgroup post can be seen here.
If you read down in that thread, you will see the first mention by Greg
for an RCC circulating coin.

--
Stu
http://www.NumisPaper.com

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Dale Hallmar » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:25:12



Quote:
> Mike Marotta spoke thusly...
>> Later this year, I want to write about the sending of coins by people
>> online.  Obviously, RCC gets top billing...  or perhaps not so
>> obviously...

>> Was this really invented here?

>> As I remember, I think that Phil DeMayo took his "date" to the Saint
>> Gaudens workshop museum and quarry.  I also remember someone
>> "swallowing" the trime.  That happened, right?  As I dig back into the
>> RCC archives, what else should I look for?

> Looking on my hard drive...here is some links to some history (might
> have to cut and paste...)

> The Precursor that never got off the ground:
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> /9a6014cd95bfb35?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&seekm=
> 19991206101006.14000.00000018%40ng-cj1.aol.com

> The Penny is born:
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/
> ?oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

> And what was on the original RCC Penny Web Page

> Specifications
> Designer: Greg the Beekeep
> Weight: 96 grams
> Size: 5 1/4" x 2 1/4"
> Composition: Copper

> General Info
> The RCC Penny was born on December 9th, 1999. It was minted by Greg the
> Beekeep. The original newsgroup article announcing its creation can be
> found here. This was the precursor to all of the RCC Mint Coins, current
> and future. A small beginning in the coinage of our newsgroup. The Penny
> was only hosted by a few people before being lost (forever?)

> Current Status
> Unknown. Presumed lost forever.

> Interesting Stuff
> In the original minting announcement, the RCC Penny was referred to as
> both a Penny and a Penney. Later, it would be called a Cent by some. It
> is funny how that seems to happen with pennies and cents. It is also
> rather fitting because it pays homage to The Great Penny/Cent Debates
> that sometimes occur on RCC.

> Also, there was a precursor to the RCC Penny. On December 6th, 1999
> Larry Calder made an offer to circulate an actual coin around to
> RCC'ers. For various reasons, this particular idea never got past the
> discussion stage. The thread for that newsgroup post can be seen here.
> If you read down in that thread, you will see the first mention by Greg
> for an RCC circulating coin.
> Stu
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/

I had the half cent for a while and unlike Phil, I had no place interesting
to take her.
I did take a picture in front of the city adverti***t billboard.  It has
an interesting saying :-)

Personally I think the flat Fred story is more intriguing :-)  LOL

Dale

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Stujo » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:29:46


Dale Hallmark spoke thusly...

Quote:

> I had the half cent for a while and unlike Phil, I had no place interesting
> to take her.
> I did take a picture in front of the city adverti***t billboard.  It has
> an interesting saying :-)

Home of the Ding Dong Daddies

or

13,000 Friendly Folks And A Few Old Soreheads.

;)

How do you pronounce that town name, anyway? :D

--
Stu
http://www.FoundCollection.com/

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Dale Hallmar » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:11:53



Quote:
> Dale Hallmark spoke thusly...

>> I had the half cent for a while and unlike Phil, I had no place
>> interesting
>> to take her.
>> I did take a picture in front of the city adverti***t billboard.  It
>> has
>> an interesting saying :-)

> Home of the Ding Dong Daddies

> or

> 13,000 Friendly Folks And A Few Old Soreheads.

> ;)

> How do you pronounce that town name, anyway? :D
> Stu
> http://www.FoundCollection.com/

It is named after some ole timey French big wig muckity muck.
Correctly pronounced Doom-us with no pause between the syllables, though a
pause there might be
warranted occasionally :-)

Or if I am pronouncing it to an outsider, Dumb-ass Texas ;-)

Dale

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Mr. Jagger » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:43:25



Quote:



>> Dale Hallmark spoke thusly...

>>> I had the half cent for a while and unlike Phil, I had no place
>>> interesting
>>> to take her.
>>> I did take a picture in front of the city adverti***t billboard.  It
>>> has
>>> an interesting saying :-)

>> Home of the Ding Dong Daddies

>> or

>> 13,000 Friendly Folks And A Few Old Soreheads.

>> ;)

>> How do you pronounce that town name, anyway? :D
>> Stu
>> http://www.FoundCollection.com/

> It is named after some ole timey French big wig muckity muck.
> Correctly pronounced Doom-us with no pause between the syllables, though a
> pause there might be
> warranted occasionally :-)

> Or if I am pronouncing it to an outsider, Dumb-ass Texas ;-)

> Dale

That would be Alexandre Dumas, pre, author of The Three Musketeers and the
Count of Monte Cristo.  The French pronunciation is doo-MAH.

Monsieur Jaggres

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Mike Marott » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 03:57:45


Quote:

> >> As I remember, I think that Phil DeMayo took his "date" to the Saint
> >> Gaudens workshop museum and quarry.  I
> I had the half cent for a while and unlike Phil, I had no place ...

You could have taken her to your place...

Anyway, thanks for the information.  I have added it to the file of
things to write about this year.

The reason I asked is that CoinPeople is doing this and I just got the
coin.  I suppose I should take her to the SuperBowl, but I have no
interest in football.  So, I'll probably take her to the Lansing Coin
Club show, or maybe the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum where she can watch
other coins simulating a gravitational "black hole."

Michael

 
 
 

RCC Trime RCC Nickel RCC Half Cent

Post by Mike Marott » Wed, 08 Feb 2006 02:04:19


Quote:
> >Was this really invented here?

> I'm not sure, but when I the RCC Half Cent and I visited Saint-Gaudens
> I noticed a woman carrying a cardboard cut-out drawing of a face
> mounted on a stick. ... I think it was "Flat Fred" (or something ...

I asked around at the museum yesterday, and the director of public
programs said that her aunt had a ceramic goose stolen from her front
yard.  A couple of days later, she found a note in her door, from the
goose, saying, basically, "I'm okay, but I just needed to get away for
a while."  A few days later, the goose was back, with some snapshots of
the goose taken around town.

After she told this story, someone else mentioned "garden gnomes."
These are statues of little germanic guys that people take pictures of
around town and stuff.  Then another person told of a statue of the
*** Mary that was taken out on a tour of sports bars.

So, it seems that this coin thing is just part of a bigger picture.  I
don't know which is scarier.