Best way to image a coin?

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Storm's Hamburger » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:57:13



I was thinking a scanner but someone mentioned depth of focus?  Most pics I
see with a camera are not good.
I'd like opinoins on imaging coins please.
mk
 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Scott D » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:22:27



Quote:
> I was thinking a scanner but someone mentioned depth of focus?  Most pics
I
> see with a camera are not good.
> I'd like opinoins on imaging coins please.
> mk

You can make good pictures with either, if you have decent equipment and
some experience using it. One advantage with cameras is that you can adjust
the lighting much easier than you can with scanners.

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Bob Hairgrov » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:24:50


On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:57:13 -0500, "Storm's Hamburgers"

Quote:

>I was thinking a scanner but someone mentioned depth of focus?  Most pics I
>see with a camera are not good.
>I'd like opinoins on imaging coins please.
>mk

I've found that scanners tend to wash out any luster a nice BU coin
might have. Here are some pictures that I recently took with a Nikon
Coolpix 5900 digital camera:

http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/HalfDollarPilgrimCommem1920...
http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/HalfDollarPilgrimCommem1920...
http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/Russia199350RublesGoldRachm...

Haven't been able to teach my scanner how to do that yet. ;)

--
Bob Hairgrove

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Phil DeMay » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:43:34


On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:24:50 +0200, Bob Hairgrove

Quote:

>I've found that scanners tend to wash out any luster a nice BU coin
>might have. Here are some pictures that I recently took with a Nikon
>Coolpix 5900 digital camera:

>http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/HalfDollarPilgrimCommem1920...

Some interesting things going on with that obverse.....curved die
crack at the tops of the letters in "UNITED STATES", die polish lines
above and behind the Pilgrim's hat and perhaps a little bit of
mechanical doubling in some of the letters in "HALF DOLLAR".
Quote:
>http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/HalfDollarPilgrimCommem1920...
>http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/Russia199350RublesGoldRachm...

>Haven't been able to teach my scanner how to do that yet. ;)

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by bri » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:59:46



Quote:
> I was thinking a scanner but someone mentioned depth of focus?  Most pics
I
> see with a camera are not good.
> I'd like opinoins on imaging coins please.
> mk

A digital camera with a macro capability and use natural ambient
light--that's the best.
With scanners what works on someone elses computer might not work for beans
with your box. It's mostly a software and rendering issue as to how well of
a scan you end up with. It isn't always a matter of spending the most
either--there's a whole slew of issues to consider.
Most all scanners you only get a one-way light source. So sometimes you have
to stick something under a coin and*** it up just right to capture some
luster or some really fine details. Another trick on a scanner is to keep
the lid open and use a raised-up background with different colors. I have
used some of those transparant colored plastic CD ROM cases and propped them
up with some bottle caps to get some colors to show up. It's just like using
a colored filter on a regular camera. Otherwise you need to scan at over
2400 dpi to get the colors to show up and the images turns out to be very
very large--over 100MB's and most computers ***up hard trying to chew on
that large of an image.
 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Phil DeMay » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:00:58


Quote:

> I was thinking a scanner but someone mentioned depth of focus?  Most pics I
> see with a camera are not good.
> I'd like opinoins on imaging coins please.
> mk

When used properly a camera will provide images a scanner cannot
possibly match, especially when it comes to showing a coin's luster.

However, if you must use a scanner make sure it has a CCD image sensor
as this will provide the best depth of field (focus).

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by jcsupersta » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:33:49


You'll always do best with a camera provided you light the coin
properly and use a good macro lens.

That said, I never enough time to set up a runway shoot for the coins
as they flow in and generally use a scanner.  For most of the time, it
works great for internet file size images.  I won a presentation award
from NGC for one of my sets where nearly every coin was scanned.  The
downside tht many do not consider is the effect the scan mechanism has
on passing over the topographical details of a coin's surface.  You can
get all sorts of annoying reflections that wash out features.  It is
really a pain if you are trying to capture details specific to a die
variety and have to experiment with various scan orientations.  One (to
remain nameless) auction company either scans their consignments or
photographs them poorly sometimes in ways that limits internet viewing
of details all of the time.  I bid on guesses and hit most but miss
some because of that.

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Bob Hairgrov » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:39:41




Quote:
>Some interesting things going on with that obverse.....curved die
>crack at the tops of the letters in "UNITED STATES", die polish lines
>above and behind the Pilgrim's hat and perhaps a little bit of
>mechanical doubling in some of the letters in "HALF DOLLAR".

The doubling is there, and I noticed the die polish, too -- it's a
pretty nice camera, after all!

--
Bob Hairgrove

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Bob Hairgrov » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:15:07


On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:24:50 +0200, Bob Hairgrove

Quote:

>On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:57:13 -0500, "Storm's Hamburgers"

>>I was thinking a scanner but someone mentioned depth of focus?  Most pics I
>>see with a camera are not good.
>>I'd like opinoins on imaging coins please.
>>mk

>I've found that scanners tend to wash out any luster a nice BU coin
>might have. Here are some pictures that I recently took with a Nikon
>Coolpix 5900 digital camera:

>http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/HalfDollarPilgrimCommem1920...
>http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/HalfDollarPilgrimCommem1920...
>http://img2.imagebarrel.com/img/05/179/18/Russia199350RublesGoldRachm...

>Haven't been able to teach my scanner how to do that yet. ;)

And here are some recent acquisitions that turned out well:

http://imagecloset.com/3/1006-BTW_1946-S_obv.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1035-BTW_1946-S_rev.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1024-Columbian_Half_Dollar_1892_obv.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1003-Columbian_Half_Dollar_1892_rev.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1041-Morgan_Dollar_1896_obv.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1033-Morgan_Dollar_1896_rev.jpg

--
Bob Hairgrove

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Jeff » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:29:34



Quote:
> And here are some recent acquisitions that turned out well:

> http://imagecloset.com/3/1006-BTW_1946-S_obv.jpg
> http://imagecloset.com/3/1035-BTW_1946-S_rev.jpg
> http://imagecloset.com/3/1024-Columbian_Half_Dollar_1892_obv.jpg
> http://imagecloset.com/3/1003-Columbian_Half_Dollar_1892_rev.jpg
> http://imagecloset.com/3/1041-Morgan_Dollar_1896_obv.jpg
> http://imagecloset.com/3/1033-Morgan_Dollar_1896_rev.jpg

> --
> Bob Hairgrove


Bob, I'm getting a "403-forbidden" on these links.

Is it my breath?

--
Jeff R.
(damned onions)

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Bob Hairgrov » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:35:15




Quote:
>Bob, I'm getting a "403-forbidden" on these links.
>Is it my breath?

LOL ... I certainly hope not!

Strange, I thought it might be that they let me in because I still had
a cookie from the uploads or something, so I used another browser, and
they worked fine. Going through Google, I also had no trouble getting
in.

Try copying and pasting the URL addresses into the browser manually
... do you still get the error?

--
Bob Hairgrove

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Jeff » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:50:38



Quote:


> >Bob, I'm getting a "403-forbidden" on these links.
> >Is it my breath?

> LOL ... I certainly hope not!

> Strange, I thought it might be that they let me in because I still had
> a cookie from the uploads or something, so I used another browser, and
> they worked fine. Going through Google, I also had no trouble getting
> in.

> Try copying and pasting the URL addresses into the browser manually
> ... do you still get the error?

> --
> Bob Hairgrove


Yup.
Still no dice

Firefox & IE6 both return a 403.

:-(

--
Jeff R.

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Bob Hairgrov » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:26:05




Quote:
>Yup.
>Still no dice

Very strange ... I know that at least one other forum member has been
able to see these. If you look for a thread from today with the
subject "Help on grading my 1896 Morgan needed", you will see that
"jcsuperstar" was apparently able to get in through the very same
links to that coin's pictures.

Are you on a LAN behind a firewall, by any chance?

--
Bob Hairgrove

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Ian » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:43:04


Quote:





>>>Bob, I'm getting a "403-forbidden" on these links.
>>>Is it my breath?

>>LOL ... I certainly hope not!

>>Strange, I thought it might be that they let me in because I still had
>>a cookie from the uploads or something, so I used another browser, and
>>they worked fine. Going through Google, I also had no trouble getting
>>in.

>>Try copying and pasting the URL addresses into the browser manually
>>... do you still get the error?

>>--
>>Bob Hairgrove

> Yup.
> Still no dice

> Firefox & IE6 both return a 403.

> :-(

> --
> Jeff R.

The links work fine for me Jeff (?)

Ian

 
 
 

Best way to image a coin?

Post by Jeff » Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:50:13



Quote:

> > Yup.
> > Still no dice

> > Firefox & IE6 both return a 403.

> > :-(

> > --
> > Jeff R.

> The links work fine for me Jeff (?)

> Ian

sigghhhh.

Damn them onions.

--
Jeff R.
(still getting 403s)