cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by evilpaul » Fri, 16 May 2003 04:21:25



Anyone have a favorite vendor?
 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Fri, 16 May 2003 04:32:10


I like

http://www.homebrew.com/shopping/index.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=home...
tegory_Code=ING-GR

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/grains.asp

http://www.northernbrewer.com/grainmalts.html

Tom Veldhouse


Quote:
> Anyone have a favorite vendor?


 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by MDixo » Sat, 17 May 2003 21:46:25



Quote:
> Anyone have a favorite vendor?

www.northcountrymalt.com

Cheers,
Mike

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by Dr. Richard E. Hawki » Sun, 18 May 2003 00:44:28



Quote:



>> Anyone have a favorite vendor?
>www.northcountrymalt.com

Pallet shipping!

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign

These opinions will not be those of              X    and postings.
Penn State until it pays my retainer.           / \  

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by Todd Swearing » Sun, 18 May 2003 06:24:43


Ditto on the NorthCountry Malt. Our club has made 4 orders now,
averaging around 1500 lbs each. They sell to homebrewers at just a bit
over brewery prices, the last couple orders they sold to us at a
discount based on the size and past business. Even after shipping, the
average was less than $0.50 a lb. They only sell in whole bags, so we
divide up the specialty malts. Great selection and service.

Todd S.
Rocket City Brewers


Quote:




> >> Anyone have a favorite vendor?

> >www.northcountrymalt.com

> Pallet shipping!

> hawk

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by Joe Sandli » Sun, 18 May 2003 20:51:54



Quote:

>> Anyone have a favorite vendor?

> www.northcountrymalt.com

Mike, you're just over in the next state.  What is a normal order for you
and how much is the shipping?  Overnight is local, here, and the site
offers "pallet rate", but I don't get what a pallet rate is.....

Thanks!
Joe

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by MDixo » Sun, 18 May 2003 21:58:19



Quote:


> >> Anyone have a favorite vendor?

> > www.northcountrymalt.com

> Mike, you're just over in the next state.  What is a normal order for you
> and how much is the shipping?  Overnight is local, here, and the site
> offers "pallet rate", but I don't get what a pallet rate is.....

I did not order this year (yet), but last year I got (with other brewers)
about 50 sacks of grain and the shipping to Raleigh, NC was about $300
bucks.  Actually it came out to $5.30 per sack.  While that sounds
expensive, the average delivered grain price per pound was about $0.45...

Cheers,
Mike

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by evilpaul » Tue, 20 May 2003 21:20:26


Quote:





> > >> Anyone have a favorite vendor?

> > > www.northcountrymalt.com

> > Mike, you're just over in the next state.  What is a normal order for you
> > and how much is the shipping?  Overnight is local, here, and the site
> > offers "pallet rate", but I don't get what a pallet rate is.....

> I did not order this year (yet), but last year I got (with other brewers)
> about 50 sacks of grain and the shipping to Raleigh, NC was about $300
> bucks.  Actually it came out to $5.30 per sack.  While that sounds
> expensive, the average delivered grain price per pound was about $0.45...

> Cheers,
> Mike

How do you think I'd fare shipping only 4 or so to PA? Once I have
some money, I'll be buying myself a mill, a scale of some kind, a few
sacks of grain, and maybe three pounds of hops (from a bulk vendor).
 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by MDixo » Tue, 20 May 2003 22:49:22



Quote:
> How do you think I'd fare shipping only 4 or so to PA? Once I have
> some money, I'll be buying myself a mill, a scale of some kind, a few
> sacks of grain, and maybe three pounds of hops (from a bulk vendor).

You'd probably be at the $10 a sack range.  Better would be to find some
friends and get like 1/2 a pallet or a pallet.  Sure it would take 5-8
friends to pull that off, but everyone wins...

I think they even ship pallets to certain locations for a set
price...definitely worth a look...

www.northcountrymalt.com

Cheers,
Mike

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by DSchult » Tue, 20 May 2003 23:19:26


A couple of tips that will help ease the cost of shipping:

1 - Order from a shop that's closer to your home (less shipping distance).

2 - Look for breaks in shipping rates. St Pats has there's set at 4 bags.
The shipping rate drops significantly. Other shop's price breaks may vary.

3 - Have the grain shipped to a commercial address. Some shippers will add a
surcharge for delivery to residential address.

4 - Always get complete delivered quotes ahead of time as some shops have
better contract shippig rates than others. So shipping from a shop further
away may be cheaper than a closer one.

Burp,
-Dan

--
email me at s_danno at msn dot com
---------------------------------------------------------


Quote:



> > How do you think I'd fare shipping only 4 or so to PA? Once I have
> > some money, I'll be buying myself a mill, a scale of some kind, a few
> > sacks of grain, and maybe three pounds of hops (from a bulk vendor).

> You'd probably be at the $10 a sack range.  Better would be to find some
> friends and get like 1/2 a pallet or a pallet.  Sure it would take 5-8
> friends to pull that off, but everyone wins...

> I think they even ship pallets to certain locations for a set
> price...definitely worth a look...

> www.northcountrymalt.com

> Cheers,
> Mike

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by Stev » Wed, 21 May 2003 03:24:24


I agree with some of the others in that the shipping cost is the key -
the closer to home the better in general.

If you know any brewers at local brewpubs you may be able to buy a
sack from them at a great price.

Steve

Quote:

> Anyone have a favorite vendor?

 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by erl » Fri, 23 May 2003 12:41:59



Quote:

> You'd probably be at the $10 a sack range.  Better would be to find some
> friends and get like 1/2 a pallet or a pallet.  Sure it would take 5-8
> friends to pull that off, but everyone wins...

I'd like to get in on that group.  I'm in southern NH.
Anyone?
 
 
 

cheap source of bulk grain (sacks) online?

Post by Dr. Richard E. Hawki » Sat, 24 May 2003 23:55:27



Quote:



>> How do you think I'd fare shipping only 4 or so to PA? Once I have
>> some money, I'll be buying myself a mill, a scale of some kind, a few
>> sacks of grain, and maybe three pounds of hops (from a bulk vendor).
>You'd probably be at the $10 a sack range.  Better would be to find some
>friends and get like 1/2 a pallet or a pallet.  Sure it would take 5-8
>friends to pull that off, but everyone wins...

It seems to me that it was at around 5 sacks that it became cheaper to
take the pallet.  I think it will hold up to 40 or so 55lb sacks.  

Quote:
>I think they even ship pallets to certain locations for a set
>price...definitely worth a look...

They ship to all of PA for about $40.  However, you may need a loading
dock or some such, or maybe it was an "always attended" delivery site.

I had mine delivered to the university :)

Oh, and they will not sell direct if they supply a LHBS in the region
(which is perfectly reasonable).

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign

These opinions will not be those of              X    and postings.
Penn State until it pays my retainer.           / \