After 20 batches of extract I decided to take the plunge and do a mini mash
Oatmeal stout kit from MoreBeer. Did a full 6 gal boil and thought I
fermented 5 gal. I apparently had 1 to many home brews during the session
since I only bottled 3.5 gallons tonight. It also tastes almost astringent.
I'm hopeing it mellows out over time. So the questions are:
1. What amount of loss is typical between fermenting and bottling
2. Will the astringent taste work itself out - probably.
As far as the work - you might as well go for a full mash the work involved
seemed about the same from what I've read. Maybe I'll get a cooler setup
and use that.
My home made immersion chiller is pretty ugly but gets the job done. End of
boil to 80 degrees in 15 minutes. I have the 1st half of coils buried in
I finally made 2 batchs in a row. Maybe I won't run out of home brew for
another week or so!