Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Gary Be » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 11:43:44



I've just been through an agonizing experience.  Yes, of
course it was bottling, but it was worse than usual.

I just put 5 gallons of my version of Theakston's Old Peculiar
"Darwin's Old Phyllogeny" into 12 oz bottles. I should have
known it was going to be a bad evening when my bottling
wand started up with a *** leak. I *think* I got more beer
in the bottles than on the floor, but I'm not sure.

I had carefully saved up several Theakston's bottles for
this occasion, but filled out my six packs with a couple
of other English bottles of similar size. Well, everything
went fine until I got to a Mackeson bottle. I capped it
and went for the next bottle and heard a funny grinding
noise. I looked, and lo', the top of the neck of the
Mackeson bottle had broken off in the capper! I tried to
fish it out, said "F--- it!" and grabbed by old scissor
capper. Ten bottles later I came to a Young's Ramrod
bottle. Same thing. There I was, dancing around the
kitchen, yanking open drawers, screaming and yelling,
looking for some way to get the cap and neck pryed out
of the capper.

Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
bottles? Are there certain brands to beware of or was
it just a coincidence that these two were the culprits?

As a final note, this brew tasted most excellent after the
primary, and even better, if a little too toasty for
"OP", at bottling. If it's any good after a couple of
weeks in the bottle I'll post the recipe.

Cheers,

Gary
"Quis dolor cui dolium?"
Well, right now I'm going to "Carpe dolium", I can assure you!

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by g1400.. » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 15:06:14


Quote:
> Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
> bottles? Are there certain brands to beware of or was
> it just a coincidence that these two were the culprits?

I don't know about English bottles, but I can tell you that
I experience similar grief *every* time I bottle. I bust the
necks off at least 1 or 2 per batch! I know ahead of time that
it's going to happen, so I try to be extra careful, but it
doesn't matter. I'm convinced that it is just a weakness in the
neck of the bottle. Incidentally, I use Molson bottles.
--

---------------------------------------------------------------------
  G. Pyle                                       Dept. of Biology

                                                Sudbury, Ontario
---------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by MARSHALL WILLIAM » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 09:38:33


Quote:
>> Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
>> bottles? Are there certain brands to beware of or was
>> it just a coincidence that these two were the culprits?

>I don't know about English bottles, but I can tell you that
>I experience similar grief *every* time I bottle. I bust the
>necks off at least 1 or 2 per batch! I know ahead of time that
>it's going to happen, so I try to be extra careful, but it
>doesn't matter. I'm convinced that it is just a weakness in the
>neck of the bottle. Incidentally, I use Molson bottles.

Bottles vary from around 8 oz. to around 13 oz. in weight for
a 12oz, bottle.  Some English bottles, such as Guinness, are
quite thin.  Others are heavier, such as those from Youngs.
I try to stay with the heavier bottles, and have been fortunate
thus far.

-
  Marshall Williams
  N'Awlins  

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Graves Pet » Thu, 03 Nov 1994 05:43:52



Quote:
>> Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
>> bottles? Are there certain brands to beware of or was
>> it just a coincidence that these two were the culprits?

>I don't know about English bottles, but I can tell you that
>I experience similar grief *every* time I bottle. I bust the
>necks off at least 1 or 2 per batch! I know ahead of time that
>it's going to happen, so I try to be extra careful, but it
>doesn't matter. I'm convinced that it is just a weakness in the
>neck of the bottle. Incidentally, I use Molson bottles.
>--

Five words... Rubbish, IMHO.     #:^)

I have bottled with dozens of different bottle types.
And never has a bottle been lost to breakage.  Thousands later literally.

Consider your bottler, or  too heavy hand operating the bottler.  

Cheers. Pete

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by keith putir » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 06:22:30


Quote:
>>Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
>>bottles?....

In a response to this posting someone mentioned the use
of Molson bottles. In the past 10 years I have had bottles
break only once while capping. This one experience happened
to be just last month while bottling my last porter. At first  
I suspected the capper after breaking about /2 dozen bottles,
however I noticed afterwards that the only broken bottles were
Molson bottles (I use a wide variety of bottles, basically
whatever is lying around during bottling time). They all broke
at the neck, and I plan not to use this brand in the future...
 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Robert L. Lamot » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 02:14:51


Quote:


>>> Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
>>> bottles? Are there certain brands to beware of or was
>>> it just a coincidence that these two were the culprits?

>>I don't know about English bottles, but I can tell you that
>>I experience similar grief *every* time I bottle. I bust the
>>necks off at least 1 or 2 per batch! I know ahead of time that
>>it's going to happen, so I try to be extra careful, but it
>>doesn't matter. I'm convinced that it is just a weakness in the
>>neck of the bottle. Incidentally, I use Molson bottles.
>>--

>Five words... Rubbish, IMHO.     #:^)

>I have bottled with dozens of different bottle types.
>And never has a bottle been lost to breakage.  Thousands later literally.

>Consider your bottler, or  too heavy hand operating the bottler.  

>Cheers. Pete

        I agree, I've capped hudreds of bottles of beer and never lost one
during capping.  I also use many different types of bottles, the thinnest
being Bass and Becks bottles and so far the only one I ever lost was when
I uncapped it and the lip came off.  I have 2 cappers a Brev butterfly
capper from Italy and a Climax capper (USA old timer) for the bottles that
the Brev can't handle.  I'd suspect the capper, particularly if it is
a hammer capper.
                                                -Bob
--
* Robert L. Lamothe                           University of New Hampshire     *

*                                                                             *
* 2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do.                                *
 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Matthew T. Reag » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 15:17:15



Quote:

>>>Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
>>>bottles?....

>In a response to this posting someone mentioned the use
>of Molson bottles. In the past 10 years I have had bottles
>break only once while capping. This one experience happened
>to be just last month while bottling my last porter. At first  
>I suspected the capper after breaking about /2 dozen bottles,
>however I noticed afterwards that the only broken bottles were
>Molson bottles (I use a wide variety of bottles, basically
>whatever is lying around during bottling time). They all broke
>at the neck, and I plan not to use this brand in the future...

Have you checked the capper itself?  I cracked the necks of several
bottles in one frustration session, and noticed later that the
"pincers" that grip the neck were slightly loose (they did not close
tightly around the neck).  As a result, the capper did not always seat
properly.  Luckily, my homebrew shop replaced the capper--and I
haven't broken a single bottle since.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------\

|Massachusetts Institute of Technology             \---------------------|
|Dept. of Chemical Engineering        "caith siar e agus na lig aniar e!"|
\------------------------------------------------------------------------/

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Gary Be » Sat, 12 Nov 1994 00:40:18



Quote:

>Just a thought--maybe it's the caps you guys are using?  I've experienced
>caps that went on quite easy and others that needed Schwarzenegger to get
>them on.  They darn near busted my Italian hand-held capper.  Felt like they
>were made of stainless steel or something (these are silver ones with a
>horse on them).  The easy ones were the plain, gold caps.

Hmmmm. Those are the caps I'm using and, although I'm the one who started this
thread with two broken English bottles, I haven't experienced this problem with
them using either the Italian "scissors-style" or the bench capper. Those two
broken bottles were the only two bottles I've ever broken. But other than a
nice, reassuring little ooomph when the cap crimps, I haven't found them hard to
apply.

Well, Hasta la vista, baby.

I'll be bake.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary Bell                                  "Quis dolor cui dolium?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by g1400.. » Sat, 12 Nov 1994 13:20:19


Quote:


>>Just a thought--maybe it's the caps you guys are using?  I've experienced
>>caps that went on quite easy and others that needed Schwarzenegger to get
>>them on.  They darn near busted my Italian hand-held capper.  Felt like they
>>were made of stainless steel or something (these are silver ones with a
>>horse on them).  The easy ones were the plain, gold caps.

> Hmmmm. Those are the caps I'm using and, although I'm the one who started this
> thread with two broken English bottles, I haven't experienced this problem with
> them using either the Italian "scissors-style" or the bench capper. Those two
> broken bottles were the only two bottles I've ever broken. But other than a
> nice, reassuring little ooomph when the cap crimps, I haven't found them hard to
> apply.

Actually, I have a healthy stock of both types of caps. It doesn't matter. I
break one or two bottles every time I bottle. If I was informed correctly, the
silver caps are made for twist-off bottles, while the gold caps are for pop-
tops. Most Molson bottles are twist-off's, although I've tried both caps with
similar luck.

  Personally, I think that it is actually the bottles that are responsible
for the breakage. First of all, they're made of relatively thin glass. Secondly,
they're returnable bottles - (how many previous lives have they already lived?).
And finally, once I aquire a new "empty" it becomes a part of the brewing
collection. I've had some of those bottles around for a number of years. I would
imagine that x-number of capping experiences takes its toll on a thin glass
bottle.

  FWIW, the *only* bottles that I have ever broken have been Molson bottles.
You might say, "...then don't use Molson bottles...". This would be good advice,
however, every now and then one needs to restock their "empty" collection and
the best way to do this is to throw a party. Unfortunately, most people up here
drink Molson products <:(

Greg.
--

---------------------------------------------------------------------
  G. Pyle                                       Dept. of Biology

                                                Sudbury, Ontario
---------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Jeff Jon » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 16:36:20



Quote:

> > Has anyone else experienced this horror with English
> > bottles? Are there certain brands to beware of or was
> > it just a coincidence that these two were the culprits?

> I don't know about English bottles, but I can tell you that
> I experience similar grief *every* time I bottle. I bust the
> necks off at least 1 or 2 per batch! I know ahead of time that
> it's going to happen, so I try to be extra careful, but it
> doesn't matter. I'm convinced that it is just a weakness in the
> neck of the bottle. Incidentally, I use Molson bottles.

Just a thought--maybe it's the caps you guys are using?  I've experienced
caps that went on quite easy and others that needed Schwarzenegger to get
them on.  They darn near busted my Italian hand-held capper.  Felt like they
were made of stainless steel or something (these are silver ones with a
horse on them).  The easy ones were the plain, gold caps.

It also could be the capper you use.  That Italian hand-held jobber has to
grab the neck of the bottle.  BTW, I've switched to a nice bench capper. No
problem getting those darned silver caps on now and no risk breaking the
neck of the bottle.

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Trever Mill » Mon, 14 Nov 1994 06:25:45


Quote:

>  Personally, I think that it is actually the bottles that are responsible
>for the breakage. First of all, they're made of relatively thin glass. Secondly,
>they're returnable bottles - (how many previous lives have they already lived?).
>And finally, once I aquire a new "empty" it becomes a part of the brewing
>collection. I've had some of those bottles around for a number of years. I would
>imagine that x-number of capping experiences takes its toll on a thin glass
>bottle.

Some brands use thinner bottles.  As for returnables, I was under the
impression that they are crushed and remelted????

--


                        | Suite 557, 918 16Ave. N.W.| that they aren't out to
PGP mail accepted here  | Calgary, Alberta  T2M 0K3 | get you.

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Nicole R. O'Qui » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 03:35:09


: >  Personally, I think that it is actually the bottles that are responsible
: >for the breakage. First of all, they're made of relatively thin glass. Secondly,
: >they're returnable bottles - (how many previous lives have they already lived?).
: >And finally, once I aquire a new "empty" it becomes a part of the brewing
: >collection. I've had some of those bottles around for a number of years. I would
: >imagine that x-number of capping experiences takes its toll on a thin glass
: >bottle.

: Some brands use thinner bottles.  As for returnables, I was under the
: impression that they are crushed and remelted????

I don't know wht they do with returnable bottles in Canada, but here in
the US they wash, sanatize, and reuse them.  If you've ever seen a bottle
that's been through the system a few times you'll notice that it is
pretty well scarred up from the abrasive wheels used to scrape the old
labels off.  Maybe after they're worn out they're melted down and reused.

--


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A spirited woman will be a vexation as a wife." - Author Unknown
"That guy doesn't know the half of it!" - Dave O'Quinn

 
 
 

Aaaargh! Adventures in bottling.

Post by Steven A. Hocev » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 23:59:37



Quote:

> : Some brands use thinner bottles.  As for returnables, I was under the
> : impression that they are crushed and remelted????

> I don't know wht they do with returnable bottles in Canada, but here in
> the US they wash, sanatize, and reuse them.  If you've ever seen a bottle
> that's been through the system a few times you'll notice that it is
> pretty well scarred up from the abrasive wheels used to scrape the old
> labels off.  Maybe after they're worn out they're melted down and reused.


I'm not positive about this but if you look closely at the bottom off the
bottle, you may notice a number small dimples lined up in a row.  I've been
told they either add or take away a dimple for each washing/recycle and after
they reach a certain number, they crush/melt recycle.

--

Calgary, Alberta, Canada     *Downsize - 5 million lemmings can't be wrong*