Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by George Dahe » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:48:43



Last june I built my HERMS. I use vinyl reinforced tubing I purchased from
morebeer.com . I have since brewed 120 gallons of beer. My hoses are
crimping and not withstanding the heat. Is there a better quality clear hose
that is food grade that can be used for the pumping and recirculation of hot
wort. I do whirlpool my boil kettle after running the immersion chiller for
a minute or so to get it below boiling but I figure i am still circulating
at 175F plus at times. What is my best long term option. I want something
clear that wont collapes. I like to watch the wort recirculating so i know
it is not stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers to all.

--
George Daher
Katy, TX
"Life is good, Beer is better, Prost!!!"
www.geocities.com/sgdaher/brewery

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by Scott Thoma » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:17:59


George,

Norprene is without a doubt the best Hi-Temp hose that I am aware of.
It's rated up to 275*F.
That's what I use. But it's not clear.

Why do you chill *a little* before doing your whirlpool?
Just because your using 175* F rated hose?

Anyway..... this fellow sells several favors:
http://www.movingbrews.com/catalog-tubing.html

Scott

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by Dan Listerman » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:21:55


Consider silicon hose.  It is translucent and it can take beyond 400 F.

--
 Dan Listermann

Check out our E-tail site at http://www.listermann.com

Take a look at the anti-telemarketer forum.  It is my new hobby!


Quote:
> Last june I built my HERMS. I use vinyl reinforced tubing I purchased from
> morebeer.com . I have since brewed 120 gallons of beer. My hoses are
> crimping and not withstanding the heat. Is there a better quality clear
hose
> that is food grade that can be used for the pumping and recirculation of
hot
> wort. I do whirlpool my boil kettle after running the immersion chiller
for
> a minute or so to get it below boiling but I figure i am still circulating
> at 175F plus at times. What is my best long term option. I want something
> clear that wont collapes. I like to watch the wort recirculating so i know
> it is not stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers to all.

> --
> George Daher
> Katy, TX
> "Life is good, Beer is better, Prost!!!"
> www.geocities.com/sgdaher/brewery

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by George Dahe » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:04:41


yes, that but also to start bringing down the temperature before pumping to
my counter flow chiller then in to fermenter. I always whirlpool for ten
minutes after boil, so I use an immersion chiller during that time.

--
George Daher
Katy, TX
"Life is good, Beer is better, Prost!!!"
www.geocities.com/sgdaher/brewery

Quote:
> George,

> Norprene is without a doubt the best Hi-Temp hose that I am aware of.
> It's rated up to 275*F.
> That's what I use. But it's not clear.

> Why do you chill *a little* before doing your whirlpool?
> Just because your using 175* F rated hose?

> Anyway..... this fellow sells several favors:
> http://www.movingbrews.com/catalog-tubing.html

> Scott

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by Al Klei » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:15:21


On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:21:55 -0500, "Dan Listermann"

Quote:
>Consider silicon hose.  It is translucent and it can take beyond 400 F.

Silicone, Dan.  Silicon hose is integrated circuitry. :)

And teflon hose can take pretty high temps too.
---
[Apparent Rennerian 567.7, 95.9]
Al - rukbat at optonline dot net

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by Larg » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:12:32


On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 01:48:43 GMT, "George Daher"

Norprene isn't clear.  George, for viewing, why not use a short clear
section of vinyl tubing on the plumbing where you wish to inspect beer
quality.  You could change that section when it gets worn out.

I used PVDF, which is good to 260 degrees and nontoxic with good
results.

Largo

Quote:
>Last june I built my HERMS. I use vinyl reinforced tubing I purchased from
>morebeer.com . I have since brewed 120 gallons of beer. My hoses are
>crimping and not withstanding the heat. Is there a better quality clear hose
>that is food grade that can be used for the pumping and recirculation of hot
>wort. I do whirlpool my boil kettle after running the immersion chiller for
>a minute or so to get it below boiling but I figure i am still circulating
>at 175F plus at times. What is my best long term option. I want something
>clear that wont collapes. I like to watch the wort recirculating so i know
>it is not stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers to all.

>--
>George Daher
>Katy, TX
>"Life is good, Beer is better, Prost!!!"
>www.geocities.com/sgdaher/brewery

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by MDixo » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:48:09



Quote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:21:55 -0500, "Dan Listermann"

> >Consider silicon hose.  It is translucent and it can take beyond 400 F.

> Silicone, Dan.  Silicon hose is integrated circuitry. :)

http://www.directron.com/tubing.html
http://www.spslimited.co.uk/pricelist-dairy-tubing.htm
http://www.automatedaquariums.com/p06411.htm

I think it is more a case of potato and potatoe...

Cheers,
Mike

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by D Schult » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:23:02


Actually not. The Silicon Valley is the San Jose Area. The Silicone Valley
is So Cal with all the *** jobs down there.

Silicon as in the wafer, Silicone as in the oil, ***, etc.

Burp,
-Dan

Silicon hose is integrated circuitry. :)

Quote:

> I think it is more a case of potato and potatoe...

> Cheers,
> Mike

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by Al Klei » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:03:50


On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:48:09 -0500, "MDixon"

Quote:


>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:21:55 -0500, "Dan Listermann"

>> >Consider silicon hose.  It is translucent and it can take beyond 400 F.
>> Silicone, Dan.  Silicon hose is integrated circuitry. :)
>http://www.directron.com/tubing.html
>http://www.spslimited.co.uk/pricelist-dairy-tubing.htm
>http://www.automatedaquariums.com/p06411.htm
>I think it is more a case of potato and potatoe...

I don't want to start a definition war, but silicon is a metallic
element, silicone is a compound which has silicon as one component.
---
[Apparent Rennerian 567.7, 95.9]
Al - rukbat at optonline dot net
 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by Andrew Ham » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:24:47


Quote:

>>> >Consider silicon hose.  It is translucent and it can take beyond 400 F.

>>> Silicone, Dan.  Silicon hose is integrated circuitry. :)

>>I think it is more a case of potato and potatoe...

>I don't want to start a definition war, but silicon is a metallic
>element, silicone is a compound which has silicon as one component.

I gotta side with the man in the all-encompassing bottle (that's a
topological joke, folks)

Silicon is an element with valency 4 (*** knows it's atomic weight) but it's
one series down from carbon.

Silicon is usually found in nature as part of the compound Si02 or is that
Si04? Whatever it is, that compound is usually known as sand, quartz or
glass.

Silicon is also extremely popular in semiconductors; without it you wouldn't
be reading this dribble on the internet.

Silicone is a kind of ***. Possibly it's similar to ordinary *** but
the carbons are replaced with silicon. On the other hand, I could be talking
out of my arse, but it's definitely a ***y compound.

--
Space Corps Directive #997
Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel
universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
    -- Red Dwarf

 
 
 

Tubing for HERMS/RIMS

Post by Al Klei » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:01:00


On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:24:47 +1100, "Andrew Hamm"

Quote:

>>>> >Consider silicon hose.  It is translucent and it can take beyond 400 F.
>>>> Silicone, Dan.  Silicon hose is integrated circuitry. :)
>>>I think it is more a case of potato and potatoe...
>>I don't want to start a definition war, but silicon is a metallic
>>element, silicone is a compound which has silicon as one component.
>I gotta side with the man in the all-encompassing bottle (that's a
>topological joke, folks)

Have you seen the "all-encompassing" hats?  "One side fits all".
---
[Apparent Rennerian 567.7, 95.9]
Al - rukbat at optonline dot net