Dried lager yeast

Dried lager yeast

Post by Steve/Au » Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:28:52



    For all the bad rap, I thought I'd try saflager s-23 for once and make
up my own mind.

This interesting piece of information came from a brew supply web page.
...
The bottom fermenting yeast is widely used by Western European commercial
breweries. This yeast develops the best of its fruity and estery lager notes
when fermented at low temperatures (10C-14C) yet producing very good lager
and pilsner beers at higher temperatures (16C-20C). Pitching rate: 80 g/hl
to 120g/hl.
...
So, firstly I don't really expect lager yeasts to produce esters if
fermented at the lowest possible temps and I certainly don't expect more
esters at lower temps than higher ones.

What's the go here. Is this statement really true? I'd like to hear about
other brewers experience with this yeast. I am currently fermenting lower
than safale recommends. And, what western breweries do actually use this
strain?

Steve W (in Aus)

 
 
 

Dried lager yeast

Post by The Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salt » Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:34:19


Quote:

>     For all the bad rap, I thought I'd try saflager s-23 for once and make
> up my own mind.

> This interesting piece of information came from a brew supply web page.
> ...
> The bottom fermenting yeast is widely used by Western European commercial
> breweries. This yeast develops the best of its fruity and estery lager notes
> when fermented at low temperatures (10C-14C) yet producing very good lager
> and pilsner beers at higher temperatures (16C-20C). Pitching rate: 80 g/hl
> to 120g/hl.
> ...
> So, firstly I don't really expect lager yeasts to produce esters if
> fermented at the lowest possible temps and I certainly don't expect more
> esters at lower temps than higher ones.

> What's the go here. Is this statement really true? I'd like to hear about
> other brewers experience with this yeast. I am currently fermenting lower
> than safale recommends. And, what western breweries do actually use this
> strain?

I've seen this same description as well, and find it puzzling. What are
"the best fruity and estery lager notes"? I'd be interested in your
results. The complaints I've heard around here are of the fruitiness
produced by this yeast.

--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

Teleoperate a roving mobile robot from the web:
http://www.swampgas.com/robotics/rover.html

Coauthor with Dennis Clark of "Building Robot Drive Trains".
Buy several copies today!

 
 
 

Dried lager yeast

Post by Denny Con » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 01:25:24


Quote:

> What's the go here. Is this statement really true? I'd like to hear about
> other brewers experience with this yeast. I am currently fermenting lower
> than safale recommends. And, what western breweries do actually use this
> strain?

Absolutely true in my experience.  I fermented it 45-55F and got an
undrinkably fruity beer....the only uninfected beer I've ever poured
out.  Other have reported good reslust with it in the upper 50s-mid 60s.

        --------->Denny
--
Life begins at 60...1.060, that is.

 
 
 

Dried lager yeast

Post by Dan Listerman » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 02:04:24


I quit using it because of the fruitiness.  There is no point of using
something that does the opposite of what it is supposed to do.  I have
switched to Superior Lager yeast and am much happier for it.

Dan


Quote:

>> What's the go here. Is this statement really true? I'd like to hear about
>> other brewers experience with this yeast. I am currently fermenting lower
>> than safale recommends. And, what western breweries do actually use this
>> strain?

> Absolutely true in my experience.  I fermented it 45-55F and got an
> undrinkably fruity beer....the only uninfected beer I've ever poured
> out.  Other have reported good reslust with it in the upper 50s-mid 60s.

> --------->Denny
> --
> Life begins at 60...1.060, that is.

 
 
 

Dried lager yeast

Post by neal » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 02:11:12


I am really puzzled on this one.  I'm going to send an inquiry to the
VLB in Berlin on this.  It's their 'RH' strain.

Has anyone tried the newer 'Brewferm Lager' yeast?

Dan:  What do you know about the Superior Lager yeast?

Thanks

Quote:

> I quit using it because of the fruitiness.  There is no point of using
> something that does the opposite of what it is supposed to do.  I have
> switched to Superior Lager yeast and am much happier for it.

> Dan




> >> What's the go here. Is this statement really true? I'd like to hear about
> >> other brewers experience with this yeast. I am currently fermenting lower
> >> than safale recommends. And, what western breweries do actually use this
> >> strain?

> > Absolutely true in my experience.  I fermented it 45-55F and got an
> > undrinkably fruity beer....the only uninfected beer I've ever poured
> > out.  Other have reported good reslust with it in the upper 50s-mid 60s.

> > --------->Denny
> > --
> > Life begins at 60...1.060, that is.

 
 
 

Dried lager yeast

Post by Dan Listerman » Thu, 07 Sep 2006 07:05:43



Quote:

> I am really puzzled on this one.  I'm going to send an inquiry to the
> VLB in Berlin on this.  It's their 'RH' strain.

> Has anyone tried the newer 'Brewferm Lager' yeast?

> Dan:  What do you know about the Superior Lager yeast?

I have only recently rediscovered it.  It ferments at low temperatures and
keeps the esters down.

Dan

Quote:

> Thanks


>> I quit using it because of the fruitiness.  There is no point of using
>> something that does the opposite of what it is supposed to do.  I have
>> switched to Superior Lager yeast and am much happier for it.

>> Dan




>> >> What's the go here. Is this statement really true? I'd like to hear
>> >> about
>> >> other brewers experience with this yeast. I am currently fermenting
>> >> lower
>> >> than safale recommends. And, what western breweries do actually use
>> >> this
>> >> strain?

>> > Absolutely true in my experience.  I fermented it 45-55F and got an
>> > undrinkably fruity beer....the only uninfected beer I've ever poured
>> > out.  Other have reported good reslust with it in the upper 50s-mid
>> > 60s.

>> > --------->Denny
>> > --
>> > Life begins at 60...1.060, that is.