Yesterday i tried to make my first starter. Now I'm thinking to toss it
away and do a new one : )
16:30 Removed Wyeast Propagator pack from fridge. Gave up on trying to
break the inner bag.
18:30 Pack is now at room temperature, which for some reason makes it
easier to find and control the inner bag. Smacked it successfully.
00:30 After 6 hours wait i don't see any significant swelling on the
pack, but decided to make the starter anyway, since the instructions
mention that Propagator packs don't necessarily swell much.
I made a wort of 225 grams (0.5 pound) in 2 litre (0.5gal) of water so
that I end up with a gravity around 1.040.
I boiled on maximum (electric) stove setting, which maybe was too much,
since I ended up with almost half wort (1.1lt / 0.3 gal) after 20
minutes boiling time! (After reading some older posts this morning
concluded that the geometry of the pot must have helped a bit)
The boiling produced millions of little bubbles, making a hissing noise,
and was trying to boil over all the time. Another thing i noticed was
that after I had a little boilover, the dried foam around the stove was
black-ish. Is that normal? Maybe its the actual hot break protein thing?
In spite of the significant reduction on the wort volume, I decided to
do the starter anyway. After cooled to 27C (80F), I aerated well (by
vigorous shaking) and pitched the yeast in. Covered with blow off hose
(optimistic me) and went to sleep.
Next morning (8 hours later) the starter was flat, and a brown - instead
of white - sediment layer was formed on the bottom. I opened and smelled
and the smell reminded me of fermentation, but I'm not 100% positive.
That's it. I don't even know if my yeast is dead or so. But I have a
theory for what might have gotten wrong.
I'm thinking that having nearly half of the water evaporated, I ended up
doubling the gravity, ie pitched the yeast on 1.080 instead. Haven't
measured the gravity, since i don't dare waisting more of my already
reduced starter as a gravity sample.
Should I toss it and make a new one? And if yes, after i verify that the
gravity is indeed 1.080 would it hurt if I added 1 more liter (0.25 gal)
to this wort so that i bring it to 1.040 and re-boil it (not so hard
this time) so i wont waist more extract and use the previous yeast as