RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by WayneM » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00




Quote:

>C.D. Prichard to date had seemed to have the best idea, a SS woven hose
line
>with the inner hose removed. However it costs (in my area) about
6.75 a ft
>for the hose and you need about 16 ft of it (according to

CD).
Doug:
Where did you see the reference for the braided SS woven hose mash tun
manifold? Can you point me in the right direction?
I am also working on getting my Keg conversion going and want to fit it for a
mash tun.  The woven SS hose sounds like a very workable idea. Did you price
the 1/2 inch od flexible kind? I was just at my favorite hardware store today
and saw a prepackaged hose 48 in long. Price was around $16.  Anyone else have
experience with this type of manifold?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who knows so much as to
be out of danger ?"    T.H. Huxley

 
 
 

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by Robert » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00


SNIP

Quote:
> Myself, I am going
>to pursue the original posts idea of using a buffer pad over a
>"standard" (well, what a large portion of people are doing) slotted 1/2
>in copper manifold.
>Doug Glenn  

Doug,

I REALLY want to hear all about your soon-to-come experience with this
buffer pad idea!  While I doubt that I will throw out my false bottom
in the mash tun,  I am interested in this idea to use in my boiler.
Looking forward to your comments after trying it out!

Robert A.

 5 gallon "ball-lock" Kegs   - NOW ONLY $15.00
(3 and 10 gallon also available)
12 gallon SS Boiling kettles - $55.00 (temp out of stock)

See them at....
http://www.calweb.com/~robertac

 
 
 

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by Varad » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> Where did you see the reference for the braided SS woven hose mash tun
> manifold? Can you point me in the right direction?
> I am also working on getting my Keg conversion going and want to fit it for a
> mash tun.  The woven SS hose sounds like a very workable idea. Did you price
> the 1/2 inch od flexible kind? I was just at my favorite hardware store today
> and saw a prepackaged hose 48 in long. Price was around $16.  Anyone else have
> experience with this type of manifold?

The Home Deposit has 6 ft braided SS hose for $10.00, I was just there.

--
John Varady                     http://www.netaxs.com/~vectorsys/varady
Boneyard Brewing                The HomeBrew Recipe Calculating Program

 
 
 

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by Dion Hollenbec » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>> Varady  writes:

>> Where did you see the reference for the braided SS woven hose mash
>> tun manifold? Can you point me in the right direction?  I am also
>> working on getting my Keg conversion going and want to fit it for a
>> mash tun.  The woven SS hose sounds like a very workable idea. Did
>> you price the 1/2 inch od flexible kind? I was just at my favorite
>> hardware store today and saw a prepackaged hose 48 in long. Price
>> was around $16.  Anyone else have experience with this type of
>> manifold?

V> The Home Deposit has 6 ft braided SS hose for $10.00, I was just there.

While these may be fine for stripping out the inner tube and using the
SS braid, don't make the mistake I did and try to use the hose as it
is as input to the pump.  The inside diameter is about 14" and cut my
17GPM pump down to 1.5GPM.

The SS overbraided teflon hose I have so often referred to that is
suitable for input to the pump is a full 1/2" ID and is about $7 per
foot.

dion

--

                                             http://www.vigra.com/~hollen
Sr. Software Engineer - Vigra Div. of Visicom Labs  San Diego, California

 
 
 

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by WayneM » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00



writes:

Quote:
>> Myself, I am going
>to pursue the original posts idea of using a buffer pad
>over a
>"standard" (well, what a large portion of people are doing) slotted
>1/2
>in copper manifold.
>Doug Glenn  

Doug,

I REALLY want to hear all

Quote:
>about your soon-to-come experience with this

buffer pad idea!  While I doubt
Quote:
>that I will throw out my false bottom

in the mash tun,  I am interested in
Quote:
>this idea to use in my boiler.

Looking forward to your comments after trying

Quote:
>it out!

Doug:

The last place that I  worked used these types of pads to buff, strip and wax
terrazzo floors.  Seems to me that they came in different colors, white, brown
and red.  That might have been an indication of their intended use or
coarseness?). I can check if you would like.  3M products as I remember.

Sounds like a workable idea.  I would research the material once you find the
brand name.

Keep us all posted

Wayne
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who knows so much as to
be out of danger ?"    T.H. Huxley

 
 
 

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by Robert » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>I am as well, though don't hold your breath just yet <G>, I have to
>complete my own yet now the financing fell out this quarter (no
>quarterly bonus) and same with the next due to a plant closing. However
>my brewmiester was really enthusiastic about it.

>Doug Glenn                          

Well, maybe I should get one and try it in my RIMS and report back to
you.  Where do you get these pads and how much do they cost?  

Robert A.

 5 gallon "ball-lock" Kegs   - NOW ONLY $15.00
(3 and 10 gallon also available)
12 gallon SS Boiling kettles - $55.00 (temp out of stock)

See them at....
http://www.calweb.com/~robertac

 
 
 

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by Mike Pensinge » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Hello all,

I have a cheap source for the braided hose sleaving for you all.  I am in
the Navy and we did some cable ripout... while looking at this cable I
discovered that it is armoured cable and the braided shilding is Stainles
Seteel.  A knife and some effort resulted in a few good lengths of it.
While I know you all dont have access to a Navy ship you might try the
recyling yards as they buy cable for the copper weight and may part with the
braid for the asking or cheap at least.

Happy Hunting

Mike

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------
Mike and Mellissa Pensinger

http://www.hrfn.net/~dolphinz
I Homebrew...Because I care to drink the very best
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------
***WARNING***
Pursuant to US Code of Federal Regulations Title 47
Section 64.1200, any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent
to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of US$500.  Criminal penalties may also apply.

E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

Quote:

>>> Varady  writes:


>>> Where did you see the reference for the braided SS woven hose mash
>>> tun manifold? Can you point me in the right direction?  I am also
>>> working on getting my Keg conversion going and want to fit it for a
>>> mash tun.  The woven SS hose sounds like a very workable idea. Did
>>> you price the 1/2 inch od flexible kind? I was just at my favorite
>>> hardware store today and saw a prepackaged hose 48 in long. Price
>>> was around $16.  Anyone else have experience with this type of
>>> manifold?

>V> The Home Deposit has 6 ft braided SS hose for $10.00, I was just there.

>While these may be fine for stripping out the inner tube and using the
>SS braid, don't make the mistake I did and try to use the hose as it
>is as input to the pump.  The inside diameter is about 14" and cut my
>17GPM pump down to 1.5GPM.

>The SS overbraided teflon hose I have so often referred to that is
>suitable for input to the pump is a full 1/2" ID and is about $7 per
>foot.

>dion

>--

>                                             http://www.vigra.com/~hollen
>Sr. Software Engineer - Vigra Div. of Visicom Labs  San Diego, California

 
 
 

RIMS MASH TUN Manifold/ braided SS woven hose

Post by Joel.Fr.. » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00



writes:

Quote:
>Hello all,

>I have a cheap source for the braided hose sleaving for you all.  I am in
>the Navy and we did some cable ripout... while looking at this cable I
>discovered that it is armoured cable and the braided shilding is Stainles
>Seteel.  A knife and some effort resulted in a few good lengths of it.
>While I know you all dont have access to a Navy ship you might try the
>recyling yards as they buy cable for the copper weight and may part with the
>braid for the asking or cheap at least.

>Happy Hunting

While the good braid is SS the cheap stuff (just for EM shielding) is solder
covered copper.  Solder as in tin and LEAD!

Be wary.
-Joel Frahm