NASA budget: Write your representative!

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Erik Ebe » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:02:08



Below is the text of a message I just sent to my Congressional
representatives.  Might I humbly urge anyone who feels strongly about
this issue to do the same.  Writing your representative is incredibly
painless these days. You can do it with a few mouse clicks at sites
like http://congress.org

A concerted letter-writing campaign by the rmr community would be
great, but even one person's voice makes a difference.

Feel free to cut and paste the text of my letter.  The subject line I
used was "Budget: 'Star Wars', ABM treaty, NASA and the International
Space Station" You can even go directly to my letter at

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userletter/?letter_id=2241899

and there's a link to forward a copy under your name.   Or feel free
to compose your own letter. I'm sure there are people out there much
more eloquent than me.  The important thing is to speak up and let
your voice be heard.

Thanks.

-- Erik Ebert, L1
   NAR #79868
   TRA #09105

---------

I am writing to express serious concerns over President Bush's
proposed budget. What concerns me most is his cynical exploitation of
the events of September 11th to push through a huge and unnecessary
increase in defense spending, particularly spending on a costly,
unworkable, and pointless 'Star Wars' system, and our related
unilateral withdrawal from the ABM treaty with Russia.

In these difficult times, I feel it is more important than ever to
reject such isolationist, US-centric policies and focus instead on
peaceful international partnerships and cooperation.   In particular,
we should not let a budget crisis, brought on at least partly by
President Bush's huge proposed increase spending on the military and
'Star Wars' to cause us to drastically slash funding for NASA, the
International Space Station, and the peaceful exploration of space.

Rather, now more than ever, we should be increasing funding for NASA
and renewing and expanding our commitment to the International Space
Station and the peaceful exploration of space, in a spirit of
international cooperation and honoring our international commitments,
and because it is the right thing to do.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this important issue.

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Jerry Irvin » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:16:53




I can see you have good intentions.  But NASA is perhaps the most
wasteful program ever created.  Ironically more wasteful than Star Wars.  
(or whatever they call it these days).  With SW at least leading edge
R&D firms are getting funding for leading edge lasers, tracking systems,
and other forward technologies.  NASA can't launch itself out of a paper
bag without spending 4 times as much as necessary.

Furthermore if you are going to target wasteful spending, at least also
mention homeland defense since that boondoggle of a program is to solve
a problem already solved by locking the pilots doors as they should have
been all along.

All these examples of closing the barn door after the horse has left is
why we need to be protected FROM the government as the constitution
says, not as has later been grossly and horifficly bastardized through
regulation, statute, administrative code and congressional mandate.

Jerry

Mail THAT to congress!

Quote:
> I am writing to express serious concerns over President Bush's
> proposed budget. What concerns me most is his cynical exploitation of
> the events of September 11th to push through a huge and unnecessary
> increase in defense spending, particularly spending on a costly,
> unworkable, and pointless 'Star Wars' system, and our related
> unilateral withdrawal from the ABM treaty with Russia.

> In these difficult times, I feel it is more important than ever to
> reject such isolationist, US-centric policies and focus instead on
> peaceful international partnerships and cooperation.   In particular,
> we should not let a budget crisis, brought on at least partly by
> President Bush's huge proposed increase spending on the military and
> 'Star Wars' to cause us to drastically slash funding for NASA, the
> International Space Station, and the peaceful exploration of space.

> Rather, now more than ever, we should be increasing funding for NASA
> and renewing and expanding our commitment to the International Space
> Station and the peaceful exploration of space, in a spirit of
> international cooperation and honoring our international commitments,
> and because it is the right thing to do.

> Thank you for taking the time to consider this important issue.

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA

Please bring common sense back to rocketry administration.
Produce then publish.

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by dave147 » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:37:45


I agree with your letter on all points except the ABM treaty.  The treaty
was made void when the Soviet Union collapsed in the early 90's because the
treaty was between the US and the USSR.   All of Russia's moaning over the
American "withdrawal" from a now void treaty is totally pointless.


Quote:
> Below is the text of a message I just sent to my Congressional
> representatives.  Might I humbly urge anyone who feels strongly about
> this issue to do the same.  Writing your representative is incredibly
> painless these days. You can do it with a few mouse clicks at sites
> like http://congress.org

> A concerted letter-writing campaign by the rmr community would be
> great, but even one person's voice makes a difference.

> Feel free to cut and paste the text of my letter.  The subject line I
> used was "Budget: 'Star Wars', ABM treaty, NASA and the International
> Space Station" You can even go directly to my letter at

> http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userletter/?letter_id=2241899

> and there's a link to forward a copy under your name.   Or feel free
> to compose your own letter. I'm sure there are people out there much
> more eloquent than me.  The important thing is to speak up and let
> your voice be heard.

> Thanks.

> -- Erik Ebert, L1
>    NAR #79868
>    TRA #09105

> ---------

> I am writing to express serious concerns over President Bush's
> proposed budget. What concerns me most is his cynical exploitation of
> the events of September 11th to push through a huge and unnecessary
> increase in defense spending, particularly spending on a costly,
> unworkable, and pointless 'Star Wars' system, and our related
> unilateral withdrawal from the ABM treaty with Russia.

> In these difficult times, I feel it is more important than ever to
> reject such isolationist, US-centric policies and focus instead on
> peaceful international partnerships and cooperation.   In particular,
> we should not let a budget crisis, brought on at least partly by
> President Bush's huge proposed increase spending on the military and
> 'Star Wars' to cause us to drastically slash funding for NASA, the
> International Space Station, and the peaceful exploration of space.

> Rather, now more than ever, we should be increasing funding for NASA
> and renewing and expanding our commitment to the International Space
> Station and the peaceful exploration of space, in a spirit of
> international cooperation and honoring our international commitments,
> and because it is the right thing to do.

> Thank you for taking the time to consider this important issue.

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Art Fuldodge » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:12:09


Quote:

> Below is the text of a message I just sent to my Congressional
> representatives.  Might I humbly urge anyone who feels strongly about
> this issue to do the same.  Writing your representative is incredibly
> painless these days. You can do it with a few mouse clicks at sites
> like http://congress.org

Yes, I am mad because ISS is costing us taxpayers over $100 Billion,
and I want to pay even MORE!!!   The ONLY WAY to punish government
agencies that produce overbudget, behind-schedule projects is to GIVE
THEM EVEN MORE MONEY!!!!  That'll teach 'em!!!   Repeat the mantra:
"It's only a few more billion dollars, It's only a few more billion dollars, It's
only a few more billion dollars".

Face it.  ISS was a great idea, but politicians and government mismanage-
ment turned it into one of the greatest government boondoggles this nation
has ever produced.  It's 1/3rd of the original design, for 5-10 times the pro-
mised price, and nearly 10 years behind schedule.

Wow.  What a bargain.

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by shro » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:29:02


And it doesn't spin!

Shrox
-----------------------

Quote:


> > Below is the text of a message I just sent to my Congressional
> > representatives.  Might I humbly urge anyone who feels strongly about
> > this issue to do the same.  Writing your representative is incredibly
> > painless these days. You can do it with a few mouse clicks at sites
> > like http://congress.org

> Yes, I am mad because ISS is costing us taxpayers over $100 Billion,
> and I want to pay even MORE!!!   The ONLY WAY to punish government
> agencies that produce overbudget, behind-schedule projects is to GIVE
> THEM EVEN MORE MONEY!!!!  That'll teach 'em!!!   Repeat the mantra:
> "It's only a few more billion dollars, It's only a few more billion dollars, It's
> only a few more billion dollars".

> Face it.  ISS was a great idea, but politicians and government mismanage-
> ment turned it into one of the greatest government boondoggles this nation
> has ever produced.  It's 1/3rd of the original design, for 5-10 times the pro-
> mised price, and nearly 10 years behind schedule.

> Wow.  What a bargain.

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Art Fuldodge » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:50:12


Quote:

> And it doesn't spin!

Chesley Bonestell would be, if he could see how little progress we're making.
 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Michael Roy Holliha » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:42:31


Quote:

> I agree with your letter on all points except the ABM treaty.  The treaty
> was made void when the Soviet Union collapsed in the early 90's because the
> treaty was between the US and the USSR.   All of Russia's moaning over the
> American "withdrawal" from a now void treaty is totally pointless.

What was not generally reported, because it removed the "tension" from
the story, was that the ABM treaty contained a clause wherein either
party, with six months notice, could withdraw! Completely legal and
within the treaty, regardless of the validity of successor states. The
US gave that six month's notice and then followed through on withdrawal.

--
Michael Roy Hollihan
Mid-South Rocket Society
(Remove the NOT to REPLY)

My story's a lot like yours, only more interesting because it involves
robots.

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Art Fuldodge » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:06:59



Quote:
> What was not generally reported, because it removed the "tension" from
> the story, was that the ABM treaty contained a clause wherein either
> party, with six months notice, could withdraw! Completely legal and
> within the treaty, regardless of the validity of successor states. The
> US gave that six month's notice and then followed through on withdrawal.

Another little reported aspect of this story, is that Russia already DOES have
an ABM system in place, designed to protect Moscow.  They were allowed to
keep this under the ABM treaty, although the U.S. scrapped all of its ABM sites.

Makes me wonder if a lot of the U.S. press isn't owned by the Russians.  ;O)

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Jim Yan » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:34:48


IMO,the US government's FIRST obligation is defense,and an ABM system
counters a credible threat;ICBM's with WMD warheads. China has them,and has
threatened the US with their use.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove X to contact me

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Jim Yan » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:37:55




Quote:

>> What was not generally reported, because it removed the "tension" from
>> the story, was that the ABM treaty contained a clause wherein either
>> party, with six months notice, could withdraw! Completely legal and
>> within the treaty, regardless of the validity of successor states. The
>> US gave that six month's notice and then followed through on
>> withdrawal.

>Another little reported aspect of this story, is that Russia already
>DOES have an ABM system in place, designed to protect Moscow.  They were
>allowed to keep this under the ABM treaty, although the U.S. scrapped
>all of its ABM sites.

>Makes me wonder if a lot of the U.S. press isn't owned by the Russians.
>;O)

No,just owned by their sympathizers.

And in protecting Moscow,it's ABM coverage also protects a great deal of
their country's populated areas.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove X to contact me

 
 
 

NASA budget: Write your representative!

Post by Glen Gardne » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:32:03


That reminds me of a sign I saw in a performance shop that read;  "Speed
costs. How fast do you want to go?"

There are a few facts that seem to elude a lot of people.  First of all, the
ISS is obviously an expensive undertaking no matter how you do it.  There
are were so many things that had never been done before in the space station
program that one can hardly be surprised if it costs more than the original
estimates. It's a fact, real groundbreaking technological efforts are, by
nature, prohibitively costly.

If someone can do it cheaper, why haven't they ?

Also, the lack of long term commitment to space exploration has led to many
programs being funded by congress, only to be axed later for reasons that
can only be labeled as political.  Congress gets all giddy with high-profile
success stories, jumps on a populist bandwagon to fund favored ideas, then
whimps out when the going gets difficult, cuts the budget, and then wonders
why progress is slow or totally stalled.  Workers and researchers are
too-often micromanaged , given the responsibility for a task, but not the
authority needed to carry it out effectively, and the project suffers.

In short, nothing much happens until it goes up and down the chain of
command at least once. Progress can be slow, and the challenge is often one
of dilligence than of technical expertise. It all boils down to politics.
For the people who do the job , it boils down to unending patience and a
steadfast determination to achieve the goal.

Let us not forget about the congressional tendency to "increase" NASA
funding such that overall funding is increased while so much goes for
non-NASA related mandated pork-barrel projects to congressional cronies that
NASA has not seen a real-dollar budget increase in many years. NASA is
continually doing more, with less.

Now, let us talk about the "privatization" fiasco.  Privitization is a shell
game that the fed used to make the budget appear smaller than it really is.
In short, a project does not have as many people on the payroll, so it must
therefore be cheaper to contract out all the work, right ?   WRONG!   It
costs something like 2X-3X to hire a contractor to do the same job.  Also,
many jobs require skilled, experienced people , and NASA loses many of it's
experienced personnel as contracts change hands and contractors move on to
something else.

To make matters worse, many contractors spend a great deal of time acquiring
technologies they did not develop or pay for (your tax dollars did). You pay
for the research, they get the profits, and the technology frequently
becomes "proprietary information" of the corporation. The end result is that
you pay more than you should for the goods and services you buy later , when
that technology comes online as a guaranteed monopoly owned by some company,
instead of the knowledge and technology getting mainstreamed and benefiting
everyone.

There is another anecdote that one frequently hears;  "Better, Cheaper,
Faster... pick any two."   This is a hard fact, and breakthrough
technologies like SSTO, maglev launchers, nuclear propulsion will never be
brough online until these facts are realized and this country gets down to
it and does the job right.  If you want to have a leading role in aerospace,
you had best be willing to spend the money  and the time to do the job.
Anything less is just playing around and won't get the job done.
Spaceflight is expensive, difficult, and dangerous.  In that business you
shell out the bucks, and spend the time needed to solve the problem or
failure is a sure thing.

Glen Gardner (I just hate it when I rant, but YOU started it.)


Quote:
>Below is the text of a message I just sent to my Congressional
>representatives.  Might I humbly urge anyone who feels strongly about
>this issue to do the same.  Writing your representative is incredibly
>painless these days. You can do it with a few mouse clicks at sites
>like http://congress.org

>A concerted letter-writing campaign by the rmr community would be
>great, but even one person's voice makes a difference.

>Feel free to cut and paste the text of my letter.  The subject line I
>used was "Budget: 'Star Wars', ABM treaty, NASA and the International
>Space Station" You can even go directly to my letter at

>http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userletter/?letter_id=2241899

>and there's a link to forward a copy under your name.   Or feel free
>to compose your own letter. I'm sure there are people out there much
>more eloquent than me.  The important thing is to speak up and let
>your voice be heard.

>Thanks.

>-- Erik Ebert, L1
>   NAR #79868
>   TRA #09105

>---------

>I am writing to express serious concerns over President Bush's
>proposed budget. What concerns me most is his cynical exploitation of
>the events of September 11th to push through a huge and unnecessary
>increase in defense spending, particularly spending on a costly,
>unworkable, and pointless 'Star Wars' system, and our related
>unilateral withdrawal from the ABM treaty with Russia.

>In these difficult times, I feel it is more important than ever to
>reject such isolationist, US-centric policies and focus instead on
>peaceful international partnerships and cooperation.   In particular,
>we should not let a budget crisis, brought on at least partly by
>President Bush's huge proposed increase spending on the military and
>'Star Wars' to cause us to drastically slash funding for NASA, the
>International Space Station, and the peaceful exploration of space.

>Rather, now more than ever, we should be increasing funding for NASA
>and renewing and expanding our commitment to the International Space
>Station and the peaceful exploration of space, in a spirit of
>international cooperation and honoring our international commitments,
>and because it is the right thing to do.

>Thank you for taking the time to consider this important issue.