I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Vic Dunie » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:08:14



Lawn darted my Estes V-2 today. Built the kit close to stock with only minor
modifications to the recovery system. Launched it on an Aerotech E15-7.
Lot's of chuffing before full ignition. Kit made a perfect "scale flight"
except it landed just shy of England. After it burrowed the nose cone into
the ground, the recovery system blew the tail assembly off. The only damage
was to the body tube so I guess I'm lucky.

Any insights on how to prevent this chuffing? I've experienced it before but
it's never been enough to adversely affect flight. The igniter I used was a
Copperhead dipped in Pyrogen and the sealant.

Vic

 
 
 

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Neil Tarasof » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:38:44


Vic,

Next time 1) use a REAL ignitor & 2) make sure it is pushed up all the
way in the motor.

Neil (I have not chuffed since I started doing this) Tarasoff

P.S. I DO NOT use crapperheads & 7 second delay could be a little long,
especially if you
get a bonus delay.

Quote:

> Lawn darted my Estes V-2 today. Built the kit close to stock with only minor
> modifications to the recovery system. Launched it on an Aerotech E15-7.
> Lot's of chuffing before full ignition. Kit made a perfect "scale flight"
> except it landed just shy of England. After it burrowed the nose cone into
> the ground, the recovery system blew the tail assembly off. The only damage
> was to the body tube so I guess I'm lucky.

> Any insights on how to prevent this chuffing? I've experienced it before but
> it's never been enough to adversely affect flight. The igniter I used was a
> Copperhead dipped in Pyrogen and the sealant.

> Vic

  neilchad11.vcf
< 1K Download

 
 
 

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Steve Wolf » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:19:19


Quote:
> Any insights on how to prevent this chuffing? I've experienced it before
but
> it's never been enough to adversely affect flight. The igniter I used was
a
> Copperhead dipped in Pyrogen and the sealant.

  I lost a favorite rocket in the same way.  I used an igniter that was far
too large for the motor, causing chuffing when it was eventually expelled.
The chuffing lasted a good 10 seconds or more, burning away most of the
propellant.  Because of that, the G125 only lifted the sub-1-lb. rocket
about three hundred feet, and down it came. ; (

steve

 
 
 

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Fred Shecte » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:13:40


Use a -4 in this model.

I have seen an F21-6 work, but that has more OOMF. And it is not a -7.

And you said nothing about the launch rod diameter, length or material (or if you were
using a "Dancing Mantis").

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=babyback
--
Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.


Quote:
> Lawn darted my Estes V-2 today. Built the kit close to stock with only minor
> modifications to the recovery system. Launched it on an Aerotech E15-7.
> Lot's of chuffing before full ignition. Kit made a perfect "scale flight"
> except it landed just shy of England. After it burrowed the nose cone into
> the ground, the recovery system blew the tail assembly off. The only damage
> was to the body tube so I guess I'm lucky.

> Any insights on how to prevent this chuffing? I've experienced it before but
> it's never been enough to adversely affect flight. The igniter I used was a
> Copperhead dipped in Pyrogen and the sealant.

> Vic

 
 
 

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Hilty Information Syste » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:34:01


On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:13:40 GMT, "Fred Shecter"

Quote:

>And you said nothing about the launch rod diameter, length or material (or if you were
>using a "Dancing Mantis").

ROFL!  Dancing Mantis, eh?  Now *that's* a new one!

<vbg>

tah

Tod A. Hilty  NAR #72099
Hilty Information Systems

  - replace ihrUnterhose with adelphia for reply
--
Member MTMA, NAR Section #606  

Mantua Township Missile Agency
http://web.raex.com/~markndeb/rockets/mtma/

"I'm going to put the wheels of the bus back on... just in case"
   - BlankReg, Max Headroom: 20 Minutes Into the Future

"I speak for myself _and_ my corporation!  Deal with it!"
   - blankreg

 
 
 

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Fred Shecte » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:22:44


Beware the "Break-Dancing Mantis"!

-Shread Vector NRA #1 Paramount Leader
http://www.cafepress.com/babyback

--
Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.



Quote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:13:40 GMT, "Fred Shecter"

> >And you said nothing about the launch rod diameter, length or material (or if you were
> >using a "Dancing Mantis").

> ROFL!  Dancing Mantis, eh?  Now *that's* a new one!

> <vbg>

> tah

> Tod A. Hilty  NAR #72099
> Hilty Information Systems

>   - replace ihrUnterhose with adelphia for reply
> --
> Member MTMA, NAR Section #606

> Mantua Township Missile Agency
> http://web.raex.com/~markndeb/rockets/mtma/

> "I'm going to put the wheels of the bus back on... just in case"
>    - BlankReg, Max Headroom: 20 Minutes Into the Future

> "I speak for myself _and_ my corporation!  Deal with it!"
>    - blankreg

 
 
 

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Jerry Irvin » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:10:09




Quote:
> Beware the "Break-Dancing Mantis"!

Is there a rule or policy anywhere for bad launchers?

I think not.  I do not advocate adding rules, but a consumer warning
might be in order.

Jerry

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA

Please bring common sense back to rocketry administration.
Produce then publish.

 
 
 

I'll Chuff and I'll Puff and I'll ruin your lit today!

Post by Lance B. Licktei » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:08:26


I've flown lots of E15-7's and F50-10's recently that I got when
Rocketvision folded and have had this happen a few times and have developed
a theory.

I think that when the copperhead lights, it can shift downward in the motor
and lights the fuel grain somewhere in the middle, instead of igniting the
fuel grain and the delay grain at the same time.  For some reason, the motor
doesn't come up to pressure normally and seems to burn slower.  Once the
rocket finally lifts-off, the flight seems normal, but almost always the
delay winds up being waaay too long.  I've had several near things, although
have been lucky enough to have ejection just prior to impact and no zippers.

I have 10-12 of these motors left, so I think I'm going to try some other
igniters and see what happens.

--Lance.


Quote:
> Lawn darted my Estes V-2 today. Built the kit close to stock with only
minor
> modifications to the recovery system. Launched it on an Aerotech E15-7.
> Lot's of chuffing before full ignition. Kit made a perfect "scale flight"
> except it landed just shy of England. After it burrowed the nose cone into
> the ground, the recovery system blew the tail assembly off. The only
damage
> was to the body tube so I guess I'm lucky.

> Any insights on how to prevent this chuffing? I've experienced it before
but
> it's never been enough to adversely affect flight. The igniter I used was
a
> Copperhead dipped in Pyrogen and the sealant.

> Vic