Mars Snooper at Springfest

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Richard Pitzerus » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:10:37



I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that
flew on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?
 Or how the fins were built?  I am currently working on a 4" diameter
Snooper and would love to talk to the builder of that rocket.

Thanks
-Rich
--
---------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
Photographer

Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Ray Ha » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:07:21


Quote:
>I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that
>flew on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?

Hey Rich one our members built a 4 inch diameter Mars Snooper. I don't think he
has email though. I remember the fins being very flimsey. It flew in Geneseo on
a J 415 a few years back.

Ray

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Art Fuldodge » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:09:58


It might have been TMRK's, take a look at http://www.truemodeler.com/
under "sneak previews".
Quote:

> I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that
> flew on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?
>  Or how the fins were built?  I am currently working on a 4" diameter
> Snooper and would love to talk to the builder of that rocket.

> Thanks
> -Rich
> --
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
> Photographer

> Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
> ---------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Richard Pitzerus » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:37:38


I thought of him right off the bat, but was told it was not his.  Thanks
anyways. :)

Quote:

> It might have been TMRK's, take a look at http://www.truemodeler.com/
> under "sneak previews".

---------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
Photographer

Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by RayDunak » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:36:30


<< I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that flew
on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?
 Or how the fins were built?  I am currently working on a 4" diameter Snooper
and would love to talk to the builder of that rocket. >>

It was Doug Gerrard. I'll send you his email address separately.

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Richard Pitzerus » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:41:08


I must have missed that launch, I surely would have remembered such a
rocket if I was there. =)  I am using 1/2" x 1/2" balsa stock to make a
fin frame, then covering the frame with 1/32" birch plywood, then
glassing them.  Sounds like a pretty lightweight, yet strong fin. I
guess we'll see.

 I'd sure like to know how the person at Springfest built his to survive
an L motor. =)

Thanks for the info, Ray

-Rich

Quote:

> >I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that
> >flew on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
Photographer

Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Art Fuldodge » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:04:37


D'oH!

That's what I get for trying to be a smarty-pants,
without putting on my smarty-underwear first.

Quote:

> I thought of him right off the bat, but was told it was not his.  Thanks
> anyways. :)


> > It might have been TMRK's, take a look at http://www.truemodeler.com/
> > under "sneak previews".

> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
> Photographer

> Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
> ---------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Jerry Irvi » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:31:28



Quote:

> << I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that flew
> on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?
>  Or how the fins were built?  I am currently working on a 4" diameter Snooper
> and would love to talk to the builder of that rocket. >>

> It was Doug Gerrard. I'll send you his email address separately.

That's really cool!

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California USA

Bring common sense back to rocketry administration.

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Gordon McGr » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:05:13


I would love to see upscale Snooper pix on a.b.m.r  (especially construction
pictures.) This would certainly be one of my top fantasy projects.

Someone was building a Snooper II upscale a while back but I didn't see any
pictures of the finished rocket.  (It didn't look like anything you would fly on
an L.)



Quote:
>I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that
>flew on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?
> Or how the fins were built?  I am currently working on a 4" diameter
>Snooper and would love to talk to the builder of that rocket.

>Thanks
>-Rich

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Richard Pitzerus » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:38:25


I started a webpage of construction photos for my Snooper project.  Not
much there yet, but I will be adding to it.

http://rmpitzer.syr.edu/current/snooper/index.html

I hope to have it ready for NYPower.

-Rich

Quote:

> I would love to see upscale Snooper pix on a.b.m.r  (especially construction
> pictures.) This would certainly be one of my top fantasy projects.

> Someone was building a Snooper II upscale a while back but I didn't see any
> pictures of the finished rocket.  (It didn't look like anything you would fly on
> an L.)



> >I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that
> >flew on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?
> > Or how the fins were built?  I am currently working on a 4" diameter
> >Snooper and would love to talk to the builder of that rocket.

> >Thanks
> >-Rich

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
Photographer

Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Richard Pitzerus » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:45:08


Quote:

> It was Doug Gerrard.

Thank you so much!!

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
Photographer

Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Gordon McGr » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:46:52


Great, I will check back often!

I have used that fin construction technique on upscale Goblin and Sprite and it
works great.  One trick is to make the edges balsa for easy contouring.

Are you projecting a final weight?  Motor choice?



Quote:
>I started a webpage of construction photos for my Snooper project.  Not
>much there yet, but I will be adding to it.

>http://rmpitzer.syr.edu/current/snooper/index.html

>I hope to have it ready for NYPower.

>-Rich


>> I would love to see upscale Snooper pix on a.b.m.r  (especially construction
>> pictures.) This would certainly be one of my top fantasy projects.

>> Someone was building a Snooper II upscale a while back but I didn't see any
>> pictures of the finished rocket.  (It didn't look like anything you would fly on
>> an L.)



>> >I heard from a few people that there was an upscale Mars Snooper that
>> >flew on an L motor at Springfest.  Does anyone know who's rocket it was?
>> > Or how the fins were built?  I am currently working on a 4" diameter
>> >Snooper and would love to talk to the builder of that rocket.

>> >Thanks
>> >-Rich

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Richard Pitzerus » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:28:38


Quote:

> Are you projecting a final weight?  Motor choice?

Not yet, too early in the design phase to estimate.  I am hoping I can
make it light enough, and strong enough for a K185, but we'll see. =)

-Rich
--
---------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
Photographer

Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Jerry Irvi » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:48:13



Quote:


> > Are you projecting a final weight?  Motor choice?

> Not yet, too early in the design phase to estimate.  I am hoping I can
> make it light enough, and strong enough for a K185, but we'll see. =)

?

Quote:
> -Rich
> --
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
> Photographer

> Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
> ---------------------------------------------------------------

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California USA

Bring common sense back to rocketry administration.
 
 
 

Mars Snooper at Springfest

Post by Richard Pitzerus » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 04:10:41


Quote:

> ?

!

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Pitzeruse               x-3711
Photographer

Syracuse University             http://rmpitzer.syr.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------