Estes Website is Up!

Estes Website is Up!

Post by DougMa » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00



It just loaded in NetScape. Reviews forthcoming...
Doug

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Greg Cisk » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> It just loaded in NetScape. Reviews forthcoming...

I'll give a freaking review...

To summarize: Exactly who was the rocket scientist that thought
it was OK to load their website with high bandwidth graphics for
every page? Duh.

More reviews if I can get to a cool like without falling asleep waiting
for the graphics to download.

--

Header address intentionally scrambled to ward off the spamming hordes.

cisko [AT] ix [DOT] netcom [DOT] com

Quote:
> Doug

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network
*
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!


 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Greg Cisk » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Quote:
> More reviews if I can get to a cool like without falling asleep waiting
> for the graphics to download.

OK I guess once those high bandwidth graphics load and are in
your cache they display very quickly. So I suppose it isn't a big
deal.

I checked out the FAQ button for the website. Astounding!!!!
I did download their catalog though :-)

--

Header address intentionally scrambled to ward off the spamming hordes.

cisko [AT] ix [DOT] netcom [DOT] com

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Joel C Simo » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Just came from it.  I was interested (encouraged?) to note that they've
brought back, (however theoretically and/or temporarily) a few "nostalgia"
rockets.  It made me feel very old, that the oldest one was from 1975, and
I've got hats older than that.  Wonder if they'll follow up with some real
classic rockets.  WAHHH!  I WANT A TRIDENT!!!

Joel

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Kevin Trojanowsk » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> To summarize: Exactly who was the rocket scientist that thought
> it was OK to load their website with high bandwidth graphics for
> every page? Duh.

No doubt!  I'm using a cable modem, and it STILL took 30 to 60 seconds
to get the first page up!  That's pretty ridiculous...

-Kevin

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Robert Wiersb » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Quote:



> > It just loaded in NetScape. Reviews forthcoming...

> I'll give a freaking review...

> To summarize: Exactly who was the rocket scientist that thought
> it was OK to load their website with high bandwidth graphics for
> every page? Duh.

Forget the reviews of how the web site "looks". It won't be as
fast/slick/useful as any of us would like. Face it, we don't expect much out
of Penrose these days, and we certainly get it. Oh, and I don't think there
are many rocket scientists working there these days, certainly not the ones in
the front office.

What I was looking at was the content, like the fact that there are only 7
rockets in the Explorer category and there are NO Master Series rockets on the
site at all. Did anyone look at the prices for motors? $6 for B's and C's,
$9.79 for D's, and $43 for a Blast Off Flight Pack! $43!!!????? I need to go
find that Toys R Us that was selling them for $24 and buy them out.


 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Tai F » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00


The local Hobby lobby seemed to jacked up their prices on motors! Now
A's cost like 5 dollars, B's costs like 6, and C's cost 6 too, and D's
cost 9. (not too sure of prices, but its definatly higher than wally
world their motor is 5 dollars regardless of size) and I think blast off
pack is something like 35 or more dollars! Hobbylinc at least sells the
pack for 27 dollars, and thats just a few dollars higher than toyrus.
--
Tai Fu
NAR# 76089
Website: http://web.wt.net/~taifu

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by doug holverso » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Quote:

> Organization: World Trade Network, Inc. (WT.net)
> Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:30:05 -0600

> Subject: Re: Estes Website is Up!


> The local Hobby lobby seemed to jacked up their prices on motors! Now
> A's cost like 5 dollars, B's costs like 6, and C's cost 6 too, and D's
> cost 9. (not too sure of prices, but its definatly higher than wally
> world their motor is 5 dollars regardless of size) and I think blast off
> pack is something like 35 or more dollars! Hobbylinc at least sells the
> pack for 27 dollars, and thats just a few dollars higher than toyrus.
> --

Estes jacked up most of their prices, apparently to make up for getting
soaked over The Jar Jar Binks Comedy Relief Show.

-DGH-

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Kevin Trojanowsk » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Quote:
> What I was looking at was the content, like the fact that there are only 7
> rockets in the Explorer category and there are NO Master Series rockets on the
> site at all. Did anyone look at the prices for motors? $6 for B's and C's,
> $9.79 for D's, and $43 for a Blast Off Flight Pack! $43!!!????? I need to go
> find that Toys R Us that was selling them for $24 and buy them out.

Who knows?  Maybe we'll get lucky and they've raised the prices so that
they don't have to drop any more motors from the line.

-Kevin

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by Phil Woolfso » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Estes prices have at retail always been HIGH. In fact, higher than an alpha
reworked to hold a G55. I remember the old days when a pack of 6 snap
swivels from estes cost as much as if at least one of them was attached to a
deep runing rebel at kmart. Point is, don't BUY off their site. Valueland is
super cheap, super fast and well stocked, as are various other online
vendors.

--
As it turns out, It IS easy being green!
Phil Woolfson
Herp Parent
Home of the Rainforest Project
Herbert is 6 this month
Save the frogs
Save the trees
Save the wales

Quote:

>> What I was looking at was the content, like the fact that there are only
7
>> rockets in the Explorer category and there are NO Master Series rockets
on the
>> site at all. Did anyone look at the prices for motors? $6 for B's and
C's,
>> $9.79 for D's, and $43 for a Blast Off Flight Pack! $43!!!????? I need to
go
>> find that Toys R Us that was selling them for $24 and buy them out.

>Who knows?  Maybe we'll get lucky and they've raised the prices so that
>they don't have to drop any more motors from the line.

>-Kevin

 
 
 

Estes Website is Up!

Post by GERALD MEU » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00


I DON'T LIKE THE WEBSITE! ITS STUPID- GERald

Quote:

>It just loaded in NetScape. Reviews forthcoming...
>Doug

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network
*
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!