Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Albert Wan » Fri, 30 May 2003 00:37:37



I am looking for Balsa Dowels

1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

US. I live in California.

Anybody got ideas.

Direct reply and post would be great!

Thanks!

Albert

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Francis X. Kranick, Jr » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:02:05


        A quick Google search on "balsa dowels" returned this:

http://www.zimsweb.com/specializedbalsawood/cut_sizes/balsasize/dowel...

        The Internet's a good thing - if used properly ;-)

Frank Kranick
IPMS/USA 20352

Quote:

> I am looking for Balsa Dowels

> 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

> US. I live in California.

> Anybody got ideas.

> Direct reply and post would be great!

> Thanks!

> Albert


 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Jerry Irvin » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:32:25




Quote:
>    A quick Google search on "balsa dowels" returned this:

> http://www.zimsweb.com/specializedbalsawood/cut_sizes/balsasize/dowel...

>    The Internet's a good thing - if used properly ;-)

BMS can make them for you too.

Jerry

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA

Please bring common sense back to rocketry administration.
Produce then publish.  http://www.usrockets.com

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Fred Shecte » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:14:49


http://www.superiorbalsa.com/

Don't know if they have Balsa dowels, but you can ask.

AND they're in CA.
--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.


Quote:
> I am looking for Balsa Dowels

> 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

> US. I live in California.

> Anybody got ideas.

> Direct reply and post would be great!

> Thanks!

> Albert

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Bob Kapl » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:58:11


Quote:

> I am looking for Balsa Dowels

> 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

Sig has them. Not sure if they have the size you need.

        Bob Kaplow      NAR # 18L       TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
                >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:      http://www.pleimling.org/le/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

 Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Albert Wan » Fri, 30 May 2003 02:03:33


I've been trying them among others. They won't answer the phone.

albert

Quote:
> http://www.zimsweb.com/specializedbalsawood/cut_sizes/balsasize/dowel...

> The Internet's a good thing - if used properly ;-)

> Frank Kranick
> IPMS/USA 20352


> > I am looking for Balsa Dowels

> > 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

> > US. I live in California.

> > Anybody got ideas.

> > Direct reply and post would be great!

> > Thanks!

> > Albert

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Albert Wan » Fri, 30 May 2003 02:04:30


Quote:
> > I am looking for Balsa Dowels

> > 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

> Sig has them. Not sure if they have the size you need.

Sig does not have the  36" I need.

Thx!

albert

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Albert Wan » Fri, 30 May 2003 02:07:30


I already had tried. Sig, BMS, Zimsweb, Superior and many others before I posted. Nobody wants to sell me any!!!

36" length.

I may have to turn myself.

albert

Quote:
> > A quick Google search on "balsa dowels" returned this:

> > http://www.zimsweb.com/specializedbalsawood/cut_sizes/balsasize/dowel...

> > The Internet's a good thing - if used properly ;-)

> BMS can make them for you too.

> Jerry

> --
> Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA

> Please bring common sense back to rocketry administration.
> Produce then publish.  http://www.usrockets.com

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Michael Stanle » Fri, 30 May 2003 02:20:00


I think Micro Mark has a tool to "strip" your own dowels.

www.micromark.com

Quote:

> I already had tried. Sig, BMS, Zimsweb, Superior and many others before I posted. Nobody wants to sell me any!!!

> 36" length.

> I may have to turn myself.

> albert

> > > A quick Google search on "balsa dowels" returned this:

> > > http://www.zimsweb.com/specializedbalsawood/cut_sizes/balsasize/dowel...

> > > The Internet's a good thing - if used properly ;-)

> > BMS can make them for you too.

> > Jerry

> > --
> > Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA

> > Please bring common sense back to rocketry administration.
> > Produce then publish.  http://www.usrockets.com

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Bob Kapl » Fri, 30 May 2003 03:43:13


Quote:

>> > I am looking for Balsa Dowels
>> > 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

>> Sig has them. Not sure if they have the size you need.

> Sig does not have the  36" I need.

The ones I saw at RCHTA in 2000 were 36" long. What I don't recall was the
range of diameters they offered. I think it would be rather difficult to
turn a 1"x36" balsa dowel without it bending, splintering, or otherwise
being VERY imperfect. I'd probably look at pulling 1" blocks through a
series of round dies to cut the corners down to a dowel.

        Bob Kaplow      NAR # 18L       TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
                >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle:      http://www.pleimling.org/le/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

 Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Jerry Irvin » Fri, 30 May 2003 13:29:23




Quote:
> I already had tried. Sig, BMS, Zimsweb, Superior and many others before I
> posted. Nobody wants to sell me any!!!

> 36" length.

> I may have to turn myself.

We have a custom machine set up for that if you supply all materials we
can do it in house.  Hourly.

Hopefully you need aloot?

Jerry

--
Jerry Irvine, Box 1242, Claremont, California 91711 USA

Please bring common sense back to rocketry administration.
Produce then publish.  http://www.usrockets.com

 
 
 

Source for Balsa Wood Dowels

Post by Dan Beave » Sat, 31 May 2003 10:22:24


Quote:


> >> > I am looking for Balsa Dowels
> >> > 1" or 1 1/8" diameter.

> >> Sig has them. Not sure if they have the size you need.

> > Sig does not have the  36" I need.

> The ones I saw at RCHTA in 2000 were 36" long. What I don't recall was the
> range of diameters they offered. I think it would be rather difficult to
> turn a 1"x36" balsa dowel without it bending, splintering, or otherwise
> being VERY imperfect. I'd probably look at pulling 1" blocks through a
> series of round dies to cut the corners down to a dowel.

>    Bob Kaplow      NAR # 18L       TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>            >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
> Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://www.pleimling.org/le/Phantom4000.pdf
>     www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/    www.nira-rocketry.org    www.nar.org

>  Save Model Rocketry from the HSA!   http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

Did you try contacting San Antonio Models.  They are trhe biggest rc
shop in the state.

Dan Beavers