Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by rowback9.. » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 04:48:28



I saw a small website that had "cheap" rocket supplies, among which was
a low/mid power centering ring cutter for about $10.  Does anyone know
the address of the site and has anyone used the device?  I don't really
want to invest in power tools/drill attachments at this point and
something small, simple and versatile like the cutter seemed perfect for
light plywood.  Did searches on ROL and deja but came up blank.  TIA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Ned Nassi » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 05:24:31



Quote:
> I saw a small website that had "cheap" rocket supplies, among which was
> a low/mid power centering ring cutter for about $10.  Does anyone know
> the address of the site and has anyone used the device?  I don't really
> want to invest in power tools/drill attachments at this point and
> something small, simple and versatile like the cutter seemed perfect for
> light plywood.  Did searches on ROL and deja but came up blank.  TIA

Here it is.      http://budgetrocketry.homestead.com/

IMO Google.com is it man.

Typed in centering ring cutter
1st listing.

Ned

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by DougMa » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 06:22:10


<snip>

Quote:
> IMO Google.com is it man.
> Typed in centering ring cutter
> 1st listing.

Yes, google *is* it.
Doug

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by gkamm » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 06:02:13


What about a dremmel tool?

-gk-

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by rowback9.. » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 06:25:37




Quote:
> Here it is.      http://budgetrocketry.homestead.com/

> IMO Google.com is it man.

Yes! That's it. Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by RSaba » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 07:22:11


Cheap tools are usually more trouble than they are worth.  Sears sells a fly or
circle cutter for about $25 that will last a lifetime.
 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Scott D. Or » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:55:54


Um...there's also one made by Olfa that'll let you cut a very small
hole, but it has to be held like a compass (it has a point on one arm
and a blade on the other), and so the chances of getting a perfect
circle are small (it's good though if you've got the circle already
drawn and just need to follow the line).  The old version of it had a
straight cylinder cut in the top, and so could be mounted perfectly
straight in a drill press, but the new one doesn't (it's tapered, so
getting it straight is nearly impossible).

Scott Orr

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Scott D. Or » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:53:38




Quote:



>> I saw a small website that had "cheap" rocket supplies, among which was
>> a low/mid power centering ring cutter for about $10.  Does anyone know
>> the address of the site and has anyone used the device?  I don't really
>> want to invest in power tools/drill attachments at this point and
>> something small, simple and versatile like the cutter seemed perfect for
>> light plywood.  Did searches on ROL and deja but came up blank.  TIA

>Here it is.      http://budgetrocketry.homestead.com/

Hm...not really good for modrocs--the smallest ring is 1 3/8".
There's one company that makes a circle cutter that goes a little
smaller (1")--it may be the Fiskars one.  Look at a crafts store like
Michael's, or search the web for "circle cutter".

Scott Orr

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Mark Simpso » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 03:35:55


I picked up a cheap circle cutter from Harbor Freight.  It's called a
"Circle Cutter", original huh?
It cuts from 1.75" to 8.75" circles.  Claims to be "great for cutting
circles in cardboard, balsa, wood, linoleum and more."  It's item # 39341
from Harbor Freight.  Last night I used it to cut 4" centering rings out of
1/8" aircraft plywood and 1/4" luan.  It was pretty easy to use.
Unfortunately, you can't use it to cut out the centers for motor tubes under
1.75".
I don't remember the cost, but I do remember that it was cheap.

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

Quote:

> I saw a small website that had "cheap" rocket supplies, among which was
> a low/mid power centering ring cutter for about $10.  Does anyone know
> the address of the site and has anyone used the device?  I don't really
> want to invest in power tools/drill attachments at this point and
> something small, simple and versatile like the cutter seemed perfect for
> light plywood.  Did searches on ROL and deja but came up blank.  TIA

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Richrich » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:22:42


It's $5.99
Quote:
>I picked up a cheap circle cutter from Harbor Freight.  It's called a
>"Circle Cutter", original huh?
>It cuts from 1.75" to 8.75" circles.  Claims to be "great for cutting
>circles in cardboard, balsa, wood, linoleum and more."  It's item # 39341
>from Harbor Freight.  Last night I used it to cut 4" centering rings out of
>1/8" aircraft plywood and 1/4" luan.  It was pretty easy to use.
>Unfortunately, you can't use it to cut out the centers for motor tubes under
>1.75".

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Mark Simpso » Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:48:21


Thanks Rich.  See I was right, it IS cheap. ;-) And it works.

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

Quote:

> It's $5.99
> >I picked up a cheap circle cutter from Harbor Freight.  It's called a
> >"Circle Cutter", original huh?
> >It cuts from 1.75" to 8.75" circles.  Claims to be "great for cutting
> >circles in cardboard, balsa, wood, linoleum and more."  It's item # 39341
> >from Harbor Freight.  Last night I used it to cut 4" centering rings out of
> >1/8" aircraft plywood and 1/4" luan.  It was pretty easy to use.
> >Unfortunately, you can't use it to cut out the centers for motor tubes under
> >1.75".

 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Bob Kapl » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:35:19



Quote:
> IMO Google.com is it man.

If you want a simple test of search engines, try locating the famous
Shakespeare quote "to be or not to be". Google can't do it. AltaVista can.
Others vary.

        Bob Kaplow      NAR # 18L       TRA # "Ctrl-Alt-Del"

Kaplow Klips:   http://members.aol.com/myhprcato/KaplowKlips.html (baffle too!)
NIRA:   http://www.nira.chicago.il.us  NAR:    http://www.nar.org/WhiteWash




 
 
 

Cheap Centering Ring Cutter?

Post by Martin Mane » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:09:05


Quote:

> If you want a simple test of search engines, try locating the famous
> Shakespeare quote "to be or not to be". Google can't do it. AltaVista can.
> Others vary.

Simple is too kind a description of that test.  :-)

Google will find some wonderful things if you ask it for "hamlet's
soliloquy" - including things you wouldn't have know you were looking for,
like the No Internet Exploder edition...

     To PC or not to PC. That is the question.
     Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
     The slings and arrows of outrageous frustration
     At non-compatible PC hardware,
     Or to buy Mac against a sea of copycats
     ...

I used to like Alta Vista a lot, but for finding useful stuff Google works
much better IME.  Except for finding Hamlet's soliloquy from that well-known
phrase.  :-)

--
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- JKG