Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by rocketdrago » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:31:13



 I was thinking about using an Aerotech F12 or F 24 as a booster with
an Estes D-12 as the sustainer. Do any of you know of any problems with
getting the F12 or F 24 in a booster or any problems with using it to
ignite an Estes D-12? Thank's Pete.
 
 
 

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by Daria » Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:54:15


Pete, What method do you plan to use to ignite the D12?
Quote:

> I was thinking about using an Aerotech F12 or F 24 as a booster with
> an Estes D-12 as the sustainer. Do any of you know of any problems with
> getting the F12 or F 24 in a booster or any problems with using it to
> ignite an Estes D-12? Thank's Pete.


 
 
 

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by Jay Calver » Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:18:23


Quote:

>  I was thinking about using an Aerotech F12 or F 24 as a booster with
> an Estes D-12 as the sustainer. Do any of you know of any problems with
> getting the F12 or F 24 in a booster or any problems with using it to
> ignite an Estes D-12? Thank's Pete.

Pete,

I did an R&D report on using a composite motor to directly ignite a
black powder motor.  It's possible, but not very reliable.  You should
consider using altimeter ejection to save you in case staging fails.
Here's the link to the report:
http://impulse-buys.com/RD_reports.html

Jay

 
 
 

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by AlMa » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 00:35:09


Jay,

did you try quickmatch between the two at all ?

back in the old days we put thermalite wick between a composite and a BP
motor.


Quote:

>>  I was thinking about using an Aerotech F12 or F 24 as a booster with
>> an Estes D-12 as the sustainer. Do any of you know of any problems with
>> getting the F12 or F 24 in a booster or any problems with using it to
>> ignite an Estes D-12? Thank's Pete.

> Pete,

> I did an R&D report on using a composite motor to directly ignite a black
> powder motor.  It's possible, but not very reliable.  You should consider
> using altimeter ejection to save you in case staging fails. Here's the
> link to the report:
> http://impulse-buys.com/RD_reports.html

> Jay

 
 
 

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by Pete Pemberto » Mon, 01 Jan 2007 21:43:43



Quote:
> Jay,

> did you try quickmatch between the two at all ?

> back in the old days we put thermalite wick between a composite and a BP motor.

Do you remember if you removed the BP ejection capsule?

--

PP
--------------------------------------
Deactivate the DYNOMITE to reply.

 
 
 

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by AlMa » Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:12:17



Quote:
>> back in the old days we put thermalite wick between a composite and a BP
>> motor.

> Do you remember if you removed the BP ejection capsule?

you have to use the delay element, but drilled to a much smaller delay, then
put in the wick into the delay element, leave out the BP, and put the wick
up into the BP motor.

Both NCR and USR had tech reports on this technique.

 
 
 

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by Jay Calver » Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:13:03


Quote:

> Jay,

> did you try quickmatch between the two at all ?

> back in the old days we put thermalite wick between a composite and a BP
> motor.

I tried black powder packed into the nozzle of the BP motor (held in
with a single layer of cellophane tape), and also a "fuse" (actually a
Copperhead igniter head) bridging between the composite ejection well
and the BP motor nozzle.

Jay

 
 
 

Combining Aerotech F12 or F24 as a booster with Estes D-12.

Post by AlMa » Mon, 08 Jan 2007 07:23:51



Quote:
> I tried black powder packed into the nozzle of the BP motor (held in with
> a single layer of cellophane tape), and also a "fuse" (actually a
> Copperhead igniter head) bridging between the composite ejection well and
> the BP motor nozzle.

> Jay

Hi Jay,

Any chance of you trying again with some quick match and also themalite
wicks?

Put the wicks into the very drilled delay from the top and up into the D12
motor?

this is the way it was done in both the NCR and USR tech reports in the late
80s.

Also it is how I flew one SU AP  motor, drilled in, with thermalite wick
into a D-12 above it.